Feeding the Malcontent, (State Corrections) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Feeding the Malcontent, (State Corrections)

Hack
10-08-2012, 15:04
In order to not run afoul of current regulations I work with, I will attribute this to what I have seen in the state system that I used to work in. However, I would not be surprised as to how much this applies in many prison settings.

When feeding inmates it is amazing at times the amount of complaining that I have heard. I'm thinking it really hasn't changed that much over the years. What they have been fed was deemed nutritionally sufficient, and varied enough to keep them in reasonably good health, and to have been done on a budget.

It is sometimes interesting when I have mentioned to them about how good they really have it. The responses I have gotten were varied, of course; but usually they reek of discontent. No, they haven't gotten everything they wanted. But, they have gotten fed the nutrients of a life sustaining diet, and gaining weight was easy enough. They were not forced into hard labor in our country, since there are those who deem that to be cruel, and unusual punishment. They haven't had to grow there own food to survive, nor have they had to bribe the guards with money in order to have food brought in to them from the outside, (not to mention that was illegal).

In some countries it is expected that there will be a family member who will bring food in from the outside, or else the inmate goes hungry. In some others if they are lucky enough they will get enough to live on, and to survive. I remember when the county I was born in used to feed a couple of bologna and cheese sandwiches, and maybe some cold cereal a day, (I was involved in local jail ministry then), yet these knuckleheads that I have watched over the years in the state were complaining because the food didn't meet there personal dietary standards; while getting three hots and cot.

Get a clue inmates, (some of those incarcerated will possibly see this), don't get convicted of crimes against society. Then you can eat what you can afford to eat on your money, or ours if you are on welfare.

blueiron
10-08-2012, 18:32
I keep telling ya - exhausted inmates are compliant inmates!

Hack
10-08-2012, 18:55
I keep telling ya - exhausted inmates are compliant inmates!

Totally agree. Unfortunately, chain gangs and such like are not allowed in the fed system. But, I have some ideas that would really work, and may even be allowed under federal law, although policy would have to be changed.:supergrin:

blueiron
10-08-2012, 19:05
Don't want 'chain gangs'? How about press gangs aboard merchant ships? Hulls need to be needle chipped, brightwork needs polishing, metal needs to be painted, bilges need cleaning, decks need holystoning, engineering needs greasing, etc.

It gets them out of the nation, teaches them a trade, reduces escapes onto U.S. territories, and malcontents can ride out their protestations in the brig under Admiralty law.

Work the way out or suffer the consequences.

Bren
10-08-2012, 19:06
Get a clue inmates, (some of those incarcerated will possibly see this), don't get convicted of crimes against society. Then you can eat what you can afford to eat on your money, or ours if you are on welfare.

They need to have and annual "Nutriloaf Month" so they will appreciate what they are getting the other 11 months of the year.

Hack
10-08-2012, 19:13
They need to have and annual "Nutriloaf Month" so they will appreciate what they are getting the other 11 months of the year.

He, he. I think that would be a splendid idea.

I know the US Army DB used to do that to certain of the malcontent. From what I heard it worked real well concerning behaviour modification.:supergrin:

Hack
10-08-2012, 19:14
Don't want 'chain gangs'? How about press gangs aboard merchant ships? Hulls need to be needle chipped, brightwork needs polishing, metal needs to be painted, bilges need cleaning, decks need holystoning, engineering needs greasing, etc.

It gets them out of the nation, teaches them a trade, reduces escapes onto U.S. territories, and malcontents can ride out their protestations in the brig under Admiralty law.

Work the way out or suffer the consequences.

Now there is something to propose to your congress person. Since you don't work for my agency it may even be more effective.

Vigilant
10-08-2012, 19:36
So much WIN in this thread! :thumbsup:

I have told more than one of those turds that if they don't like our customer service, there is a quick and easy cure for that.

I'm about tired of the bellyaching. I had one sitting in front of me a while back who had the nerve to say, "I don't like it here". My response: "Well guess what. You're not SUPPOSED to like it here!"

Bastards.

Hack
10-08-2012, 19:41
So much WIN in this thread! :thumbsup:

I have told more than one of those turds that if they don't like our customer service, there is a quick and easy cure for that.

I'm about tired of the bellyaching. I had one sitting in front of me a while back who had the nerve to say, "I don't like it here". My response: "Well guess what. You're not SUPPOSED to like it here!"

Bastards.

I feel the pain brother.

frizz
10-08-2012, 19:46
They are malcontents, right?

Hack
10-08-2012, 20:03
Quite so.

kpuscg04
10-08-2012, 21:38
As a former merchant mariner, I'd like to address the suggestion of putting convicts on merchant vessels as work crews.

NO.

That is all.

Hack
10-08-2012, 21:46
As a former merchant mariner, I'd like to address the suggestion of putting convicts on merchant vessels as work crews.

NO.

That is all.

OK. How about committing them to transportation, with BOP in charge of the inmates, and merchant mariners being in charge of the ships?

Vigilant
10-08-2012, 22:44
How about bring back the REAL chain gangs? As Blue said, exhausted inmates are compliant inmates.

drewseph
10-08-2012, 23:02
"This jail sucks."-I/m

"Thanks man." -Me

merlynusn
10-09-2012, 06:53

NO.

That is all.

As another former merchant mariner. I agree Jim.

If anyone really wants a longer explanation, I'm more than happy to oblige.

frizz
10-09-2012, 07:24
This reminds me of what a mental health counselor told me he haw at the women's prison in Alabama. Hamburger meat shipped into the cafeteria that was marked "Unfit for Human Consumption."

Gotta admit mixed feelings on that.

RocPO
10-09-2012, 07:50
This reminds me of what a mental health counselor told me he haw at the women's prison in Alabama. Hamburger meat shipped into the cafeteria that was marked "Unfit for Human Consumption."

Gotta admit mixed feelings on that.

Good thing it was going to inmates then. :upeyes:

lawman800
10-09-2012, 07:54
I've heard inmates gripe while I was booking and processing at the County lockup. I just tell them it ain't the Hilton and if they don't like it, don't come back.

frizz
10-09-2012, 07:55
Good thing it was going to inmates then. :upeyes:
Better them than COs.

A6Gator
10-09-2012, 10:33
In some countries it is expected that there will be a family member who will bring food in from the outside, or else the inmate goes hungry.

Hack, I like the way you think. Maybe we need to start an exchange program. We had one when I was active duty and it'd give them an opportunity to sample life in other countries. Let 'em spend a year or two in Greek or Turkish prisons and I'll bet their perspectives will change significantly. Even cheaper, let them spend some time south of the border...

Ohio Copper
10-09-2012, 11:23
From my observations: the majority of inmates here are astoundingly lazy. I'm amazed how they've managed to stay alive thus far and I'm assuming we have corner stores and McDonald's to thank for that. They are all dirty mofos and the guys who do clean the pods generally have ulterior motives for doing so.

Sent from my PKE meter.

nursetim
10-09-2012, 11:46
When I worked in the NM system I had these thoughts.

1) send the real trouble makers and shot callers to mexico (sorry Pureo Mexico) and see if they are as vocal in 1 year.

2) pump weed smoke into the housing units. They will gladly eat food loaf and ask for more. Added benefit, assaults would be down. Have you ever seen stoners fight? Comical.

3) for the really scuzzy villains, send them to a Thailand prison, though I like the Turkish idea as well. Then bring them back and see if they break squelch again.

countrygun
10-09-2012, 12:20
To quote "the Duke" from "Cahill, U.S. Marshall"

"You don't like the treatment......don't rob the bank"

dweer
10-09-2012, 13:41
We just got a guy in our place that was transferred...from a prison in China. American working over there and got busted with drugs and served a few years before coming here to serve US fed time. Funny, but he seemed to think our place was quite nice ;)

blueiron
10-09-2012, 16:37
I still believe merchant ships with guarded prison detachments make sense.

lawman800
10-09-2012, 19:47
Forget the work detail on the ship, just throw them overboard. Less food consumed, less energy used for propulsion.

Hack
10-09-2012, 21:34
We just got a guy in our place that was transferred...from a prison in China. American working over there and got busted with drugs and served a few years before coming here to serve US fed time. Funny, but he seemed to think our place was quite nice ;)

I remember hearing about prison officials from China who visited the BOP. They liked what we were doing concerning teaching the inmates trades. So, I guess it was good that I wasn't nearby to ask about their set up.:whistling:

Hack
10-09-2012, 21:36
Hack, I like the way you think. Maybe we need to start an exchange program. We had one when I was active duty and it'd give them an opportunity to sample life in other countries. Let 'em spend a year or two in Greek or Turkish prisons and I'll bet their perspectives will change significantly. Even cheaper, let them spend some time south of the border...

We do have sort of an exchange program, but not in the way that it would teach an inmate a lesson. Some international inmates are authorized to go back to their home country to complete the rest of their time, and vice versa.

Hack
10-09-2012, 21:51
I still believe merchant ships with guarded prison detachments make sense.

Forget the work detail on the ship, just throw them overboard. Less food consumed, less energy used for propulsion.

Actually it wouldn't be hard. Hire merchant mariners to the service of the BOP. The US Navy would have to be willing to lease ships, or there is the possibility that vessels could be purchased and refurbished. Keep them within the US limits on the water ways. A few old freighters could be refurbished to the task of growing food.

Inmates could be taught trades, (medium custody and below), and cycled out at the end of two years. Keep the highest custody levels restricted to land. The BOP employees would be cycled out at assigned ports, paid a little extra for being away from their families for a week or two, and given a little extra vacation time; like we do for those in PR, and HI.

Personally I think it would work well for awhile until laws could be passed to revamp federal laws to where people convicted of some of the lesser crimes could be sentenced to home confinement for half a year, instead of being placed in prison camps, and halfway houses.

Another possibility would be to take inmates who are sentenced under military guidelines and ship them out to sea a year or two at a time, completely under military jurisdiction.

brisk21
10-10-2012, 07:26
Yeah the inmates are whiners about their food up here in Michigan as well. I work a a max prison, so I deal with the bottome 10% of prisoners, so I see more complaining than most. I never understood why they get 3 hot meals a day. I don't eat 3 hot meals a day. I don't know many people who do. I think they should get a simple cereal for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch, and a hot dinner.

Hack
10-10-2012, 17:42
Yeah the inmates are whiners about their food up here in Michigan as well. I work a a max prison, so I deal with the bottome 10% of prisoners, so I see more complaining than most. I never understood why they get 3 hot meals a day. I don't eat 3 hot meals a day. I don't know many people who do. I think they should get a simple cereal for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch, and a hot dinner.

I hear you there. Where I work now it has been altered to where they still get nutritionally sound meals, pastry, cereal, fruit and milk everyday of the week in the mornings. They still get the big lunches, and evening meals though, just no salad bar. Still get religious based meals, and what have you.

I have heard that the minimum amount of meals is two per day by law.

Tx-SIG229
10-10-2012, 18:02
you forgot to mention inmates who receive "special diet" meals for one lame reason or another. and... lets not forget all those fakers that claim to be recently converted muslims only because then they get their 'ramadan meals' .

lawman800
10-10-2012, 19:11
I am on a seafood only diet of lobsters and oysters and shrimp, how dat be?

LAWDOGKMS
10-10-2012, 19:24
I only have experience with what our contract jail brings everyday to the courthouse for lunch for the prisoners they deliver..

I've taken note that it is consistently 4 slices of bread, 4 thick slices of bologna, an orange, and (4) namebrand cookies.

They always throw a couple extra in, in case we have new arrests brought to the courthouse, and the extras get tossed at the end of the day..

I "might" have tasted a few of the "cookies" to test for edibility..

Also...not all the prisonsers always want their lunch, so....i guess they're not starving..

smokeross
10-10-2012, 20:09
Prison should be a place that is so unpleasant that no one EVER wants to go back, and they tell their low life buddies just how bad it was.

Ohio Copper
10-10-2012, 20:43
Prison should be a place that is so unpleasant that no one EVER wants to go back, and they tell their low life buddies just how bad it was.

You'd shake your head at some of the Dirtballs walking into the pods here. Shaking hands, "what up my n****, got me here on some bull****" then it's a big family reunion.

We should freeze them and only wake them up when they need court appearances.

Sent from my PKE meter.

nursetim
10-10-2012, 21:17

Never works like that. They see it as a right of passage. "I did my time like a man." They clique up, hola ley vato.

brisk21
10-10-2012, 21:27
I hear you there. Where I work now it has been altered to where they still get nutritionally sound meals, pastry, cereal, fruit and milk everyday of the week in the mornings. They still get the big lunches, and evening meals though, just no salad bar. Still get religious based meals, and what have you.

I have heard that the minimum amount of meals is two per day by law.

Oh yes. We have every religous meal known to man. We have "snack bags" for convicts who get hungry at night. We have all sorts of silly stuff for these guys. The deputy warden just used taxpayer money to buy a bunch of 50' flatscreen tvs so the convicts can start having "tv" time, and "movie night" even though most of them already have their own tv.

dweer
10-11-2012, 11:20

When I worked in the state I had MULTIPLE inmates tell me they didn't want to go home because they liked it in prison better. Inside they had someone to set their entire schedule, meal, housing, friends, family, and no responsibility. On the street they had to take care of themselves. Wonder why we had so many come back...

lawman800
10-11-2012, 11:31
When I worked in the state I had MULTIPLE inmates tell me they didn't want to go home because they liked it in prison better. Inside they had someone to set their entire schedule, meal, housing, friends, family, and no responsibility. On the street they had to take care of themselves. Wonder why we had so many come back...

Not to mention all the surprise buttseks you can stand, or not stand. Don't matter in the joint.:tongueout:

nursetim
10-11-2012, 11:55
And they all pester medical for special diets. I always ordered rast test for what ever the claimed. When it came back negative, like 98% did, I took pleasure informing the Pt. that there was no medical indication for a special diet, sucks to be you.

I remember this half a sissy came in telling me, telling me, what I was going to do for him. Nancy wanted a vegitarian diet. Told him, in no uncertain terms, I was the authority, not him. Vegitarian diets were not medically necessary. Then my veg head medical director wrote a vegitarian diet order for him. What an idjit. :upeyes:

LAWDOGKMS
10-11-2012, 12:13
Oh yes. We have every religous meal known to man. We have "snack bags" for convicts who get hungry at night. We have all sorts of silly stuff for these guys. The deputy warden just used taxpayer money to buy a bunch of 50' flatscreen tvs so the convicts can start having "tv" time, and "movie night" even though most of them already have their own tv.

Even better...local county jail here just hit the commissioners court up for $100K to rewire the jail.

The reason? The 300 microwaves IN THE CELLS! that are overloading the system...

http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/Jailer-Files-Safety-and-Security-Complaints-Over-Microwaves-and-Commissary-Items-in-County-Lockup--169983926.html

brisk21
10-11-2012, 12:54
Even better...local county jail here just hit the commissioners court up for $100K to rewire the jail.

The reason? The 300 microwaves IN THE CELLS! that are overloading the system...

http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/Jailer-Files-Safety-and-Security-Complaints-Over-Microwaves-and-Commissary-Items-in-County-Lockup--169983926.html

I wish I was suprised by this.:crying:

smokeross
10-11-2012, 12:58
Around here the low lifes try to schedule their incarceration for the winter months so they can hang out with their buds watching TV. Don't have to worry about keeping the heat on at home, and no big cable bill.

lawman800
10-11-2012, 16:49
Tent city outdoors with no heating source.

LAWDOGKMS
10-11-2012, 19:05
I wish I was suprised by this.:crying:

Oh...did I mention that the jail also serves up three square meals a day? The microwaves are for heating up their commissary...and you should see the massive commissary list of several pages of small font print..

dling
10-11-2012, 19:20
Does Russia have a better approach to handing bad actors?

Russia's Toughest Prisons_Documentary 2011 - Video Dailymotion

Unistat
10-12-2012, 06:10
"This jail sucks."-I/m

"Thanks man." -Me

I absolutely will be using this.

You don't even have to go to other countries to find rotten conditions.

Why, there was this one time a fella was telling me how awful our jail was. Seems in Illinois where he is from, they get more calories, warmer cells, softer jumpsuits, cushier mats and actual pillows!

I had to tell him that we don't bar emmigration out of Michigan. Feel free to take your wife-beating ass back to the City that Works.

Vigilant
10-12-2012, 17:14
you forgot to mention inmates who receive "special diet" meals for one lame reason or another. and... lets not forget all those fakers that claim to be recently converted muslims only because then they get their 'ramadan meals' .

We put a stop to most of that crap. They can officially declare themselves a member of a religion any time they want, but they now have to be a member of said "faith" for six months before they can participate in any of the so-called 'special events'. The practicing Muslims support this, for the most part at least.

Vigilant
10-12-2012, 17:16
You'd shake your head at some of the Dirtballs walking into the pods here. Shaking hands, "what up my n****, got me here on some bull****" then it's a big family reunion.

We should freeze them and only wake them up when they need court appearances.

Sent from my PKE meter.

I like it! Freeze dried turds. Just add water. :thumbsup:

lawman800
10-12-2012, 19:23
The Loaf. That's it. The end. No more discussion.

nursetim
10-12-2012, 19:37
Lawman800 has the answer. Make it halal/kosher and we have a winner. Add to that, for those rare occasions that the villain has an actual allergy, food loaf without the allergen. I genuinely think that is the answer. And when they riot, let them duke it out among themselves. Too bad that can't be done. Joe Arpio's plan hast to have been tested in court though.

Vigilant
10-12-2012, 20:52
Lawman800 has the answer. Make it halal/kosher and we have a winner. Add to that, for those rare occasions that the villain has an actual allergy, food loaf without the allergen. I genuinely think that is the answer. And when they riot, let them duke it out among themselves. Too bad that can't be done. Joe Arpio's plan hast to have been tested in court though.

I agree on all points. The bastards have it WAY too easy in the klink. The taxpayers are getting screwed deeply, but most of the sheeple are far more concerned with their own immediate self gratification. Bastards.

floorburn_21
10-13-2012, 15:49
Every time an inmate asks one of the co's I work with frequently what's for dinner, he always replies "choice." When they say "choice?" He responds with, "yeah, you can choose to eat it or not."

Hack
10-13-2012, 18:09
Every time an inmate asks one of the co's I work with frequently what's for dinner, he always replies "choice." When they say "choice?" He responds with, "yeah, you can choose to eat it or not."

I like that.

HoldHard
10-15-2012, 09:18
Read this on another forum:

Inmate was ranting. Trustee said "You don't like the accommodations, don't make the reservations."

Vigilant
10-15-2012, 12:39
Read this on another forum:

Inmate was ranting. Trustee said "You don't like the accommodations, don't make the reservations."

My response is usually a bit shorter:

"Oh, you don't like it here? Really? Well, there's a real simple cure for that".

Hack
10-15-2012, 22:02
If I am told, "I don't like the accommodations", then my simple response is, "I didn't invite you."

lawman800
10-16-2012, 00:46
Don't like jail, don't be doing stuff to land you there. That's what I always tell the people who complain to me that they don't want to go to jail as I drive there.

brisk21
10-16-2012, 08:40
Prisoners have really gotten spoiled over the last 10 years or so. They whine about everything. They act like they got something coming to them. I deal with it all the time. The more they are given, the more they whine. I wish it was like it was in the old days when prisoners knew their place.

Hack
10-17-2012, 09:49
I wish it was like it was in the old days when prisoners knew their place.

Keep wishing brother.:cool: I definitely hear ya.

lawman800
10-18-2012, 00:48
I wish it was like it was in the old days when prisoners knew their place.

Forget prisoners. I wish people in general knew their place. People nowadays have really lost that and think everyone has some entitlement or right to whatever they want.

Anyone who works in any large organization can see this in the way people act toward others, including higher ups, which would have been unimaginable back in the day.

brisk21
10-18-2012, 08:15
Forget prisoners. I wish people in general knew their place. People nowadays have really lost that and think everyone has some entitlement or right to whatever they want.

Anyone who works in any large organization can see this in the way people act toward others, including higher ups, which would have been unimaginable back in the day.

Yes. Many of the staff in the prison are like this. Alot of whining, bickering, and taddle tailing. Some butt-kissing rats to.

lawman800
10-18-2012, 08:32
Insubordination seems to be a way of life for some workers, especially government workers who are unionized, and directives and orders seem to be just suggestions to be followed lackadaisically, whenever they want or not.

nursetim
10-18-2012, 08:49
I saw our medical Sgt. Go toe to toe with the Warden. The warden at the time was a squared away man, with his stuff wired right and tight. The whiney Sgt. Drew the union like a knife and the Warden verbally spanked the Sgt. Butt. It was beautiful to see. The Sgt. Was a pathologically lazy sob, nice guy personally, just lazy as all get out. Unfortunately the warden was only the acting warden and didn't get the job. Don't get me started. :steamed:

Vigilant
10-18-2012, 11:41
Yes. Many of the staff in the prison are like this. Alot of whining, bickering, and taddle tailing. Some butt-kissing rats to.

This is one of the main reasons I went from Custody to Case Management. We still have a little sniffle here and there in Programs, but nothing like what one must deal with as a rank and file CO. As a supervisor, Sergeant and above, you still have to deal with it, from a supervisory/management perspective.

Like most of the inmates, some of our Staff have the same sense of entitlement, and little or no grasp of the concept of following SOP.

I just hope I can hold my nose for another 10 years or so until I retire.

Vigilant
10-18-2012, 11:42
Buck Farack.

Hack
10-18-2012, 15:24
Buck Farack.

Yep. Nov election day in three weeks, minus a couple of days. Then we shall have the aftermath to deal with.