New job ? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New job ?

GaGlock01
10-08-2012, 17:24
I have stated a new job and it was going will up to this last week.

I was offered a promotion, but not more pay. It comes with longer hours, and has overnight hours. I get paid for travel time, I get a company van, and get a company credit card to buy gas and supplies.
I would be the manager in charge of a buildouts. When you do build outs sometimes you can only do the work when the other places are closed, so you don't disturb people during business hours.

My problem is I do not want the position, I never expressed any interest in it, but it is a bigger position with the company, I am shocked that more pay is not a part of the job, but even if there was more money, I still would not want it. I do not want to work all different kinds of shifts as needed to meet the demand of the position.
I rather work from 6 am till 5 pm,with higher pay after 5 pm, and on call on the weekends, easy and stable.

I said to my boss that I did not think I was a good fit forthe position, meaning to be able to handle the demand of the position and he went off the wall.

I never seen anyone get so upset at saying they were not able to handle the demand of the job, or to turn down a position.
He then threatened my job and said, if you don't take the move your fired.
The promotion offer was in a company email, my rejection email turning down job was sent to him over the company email, and his off the wall reply was sent to me over the company email.
How would you respond back?

Adjuster
10-08-2012, 19:28
How does a promotion not come with additional compensation? You are getting the snow job on this one. Just find out what happened to the last guy and ask him what the deal is. They are asking you to do a job nobody else wants to do. Ask for more money or walk.

/

slick64
10-08-2012, 19:38
That's not a promotion, that's a title. You lose, they win. Is your question " Do they really think I'm that stupid?" If not it should be.

Fracball
10-08-2012, 19:45
An offer was made and you declined. Why is it necessary to give your boss another response? I wouldn't send anymore responses related to this issue. Talk privately to his boss or an HR person if you think the firing threat is legit. It would seem your boss and the company will be toast if you are fired over this. Because you would have gone from promotable to expendable for no (seemingly) justified reason.

slick64
10-08-2012, 19:47
An offer was made and you declined. Why is it necessary to give your boss another response? I wouldn't send anymore responses related to this issue. Talk privately to his boss or an HR person if you think the firing threat is legit. It would seem your boss and the company will be toast if you are fired over this. Because you would have gone from promotable to expendable for no (seemingly) justified reason.

Sounds to me like he was already deemed expendable. Take it or get fired is not a promotion anywhere I ever worked.

GaGlock01
10-08-2012, 19:52
How does a promotion not come with additional compensation? You are getting the snow job on this one. Just find out what happened to the last guy and ask him what the deal is. They are asking you to do a job nobody else wants to do. Ask for more money or walk.

/

That is what I want to know, where is the money?

From what I have been told by three peopel the last guy left to go in to the Navy.

I don't know about asking anything, its more like demanding and threating.

I don't know if we hsve an HR department, this company is owned by three guys, and has 15 employees.

HollowHead
10-08-2012, 19:55
Tell them to stick it, then take your daughter deer hunting. HH

GaGlock01
10-08-2012, 19:58
Sounds to me like he was already deemed expendable. Take it or get fired is not a promotion anywhere I ever worked.

I agree with you, but there is no reason for it when I have done my job, never call out sick, never show up late, never turned down a emergency job, never missed a on call call, don't get call backs, and make my sales numbers, and production number each month.

ray9898
10-08-2012, 20:05
That's not a promotion, it is a different job title.

SRS
10-08-2012, 20:12
I'd take the job without further debate, and start looking for a new job if you really don't like the new position.

I can imagine some reasons why your boss was mad. It's a small company, and you are being offered a position with greater responsibility. You may be the only person that's viewed as suitable for the position. It's quite possible, at least based on what you've said, that you are being groomed for bigger and better things. If that's true, your refusing to accept the position may be seen as an insult. This is speculation, but something to think about.

GaGlock01
10-08-2012, 20:15
XXXX

We know that you are on Jury duty this week so you are not expected in.

Very sad to hear you are not wanting to take the promotion we offered you.

The company has only so many technicians available. We draw jobs and assign technicians to fulfill these job positions as deemed necessary within our pool of available employees.

The company only promots from within, you agreed to be brought in to the company and grow with our company. We are trying to grow you as a valuable employee, if you can’t fulfill your obligations and commitments to the company then we must find another source to fill this need.

Please advise your position to XXXXX and I so we will know how to move forward.

Thanks

vikingsoftpaw
10-08-2012, 20:26

I wouldn't say expendable. I'd say malleable.

A buddy of mine worked for an aerospace company that way that way. They knew he was a family man and knew they could tighten the screws to him.

Being a defense/aerospace company, some of his supervisors were from military and corner you/getting all up in your face DI style.
He was forced to do the work of 2.5 other people. He was on salary, but was forced to work six day and then seven a week.

The thing is, he was actually fairly indispensable, he was one of a couple people with some type of special certification that the U.S. Gov't requires.

It took a year for a headhunter to find simlar pay, but he did bolt from the company.

That caused a month in which no products could be shipped, as no one was qualified to sign off on the inspection.

vikingsoftpaw
10-08-2012, 20:34
XXXX

We know that you are on Jury duty this week so you are not expected in.

Very sad to hear you are not wanting to take the promotion we offered you.

The company has only so many technicians available. We draw jobs and assign technicians to fulfill these job positions as deemed necessary within our pool of available employees.

The company only promots from within, you agreed to be brought in to the company and grow with our company. We are trying to grow you as a valuable employee, if you canít fulfill your obligations and commitments to the company then we must find another source to fill this need.

Please advise your position to XXXXX and I so we will know how to move forward.

Thanks

Do what another QC friend of mine did

Take the job, immediately get a headhunter looking for a better position while you deal with the current company.

Upon new employment, leave old company without notice, sending a C*** S***** email to your higher ups.

slick64
10-08-2012, 20:51
Do what another QC friend of mine did

Take the job, immediately get a headhunter looking for a better position while you deal with the current company.

Upon new employment, leave old company without notice, sending a C*** S***** email to your higher ups.

This but don't send the email or make any waves.....never burn bridges.

glock_19guy1983
10-08-2012, 21:01
This but don't send the email or make any waves.....never burn bridges.

Good advice. The last company I left was on good terms and was able to use my former supervisor as a reference.

TransAm-98
10-08-2012, 21:02
Sounds like BS to me. I've watched too many friends play the nice guy and do whatever management asks without ever asking for anything in return, thinking that in a perfect world that it will get them higher up in the company. They always end up being the company B'*ch. Cause the company knows they can get away with it. If you're a hard worker and good at your job, show them some backbone. At least demand more pay if you're being forced into the position. That way they know that you can get the job done, but you're not a schmuck either.

hpracing007
10-08-2012, 21:04
Take it but start looking real quick. Once they know you will take that kind of ****, they will keep pushing and pushing into you break, while they spend that time grooming someone else to take over while you finally quit.

well said transam

slick64
10-08-2012, 21:32
OP, You'll wind up like Rodney Dangerfield. No respect!

LSUAdman
10-09-2012, 10:47
OP, that is a terrible choice to have to work with. One I've never had to deal with, since most promotions I've gotten were that - more pay but more responsibility and work. If you're getting the latter two but not the former, then that is just crappy of the company.

As being someone who manages other peoeple, I can tell you that if you give an employee a yard, they take a mile. What most people here hate to admit is that the same works for management sometimes.

My advice, like others have said is to accept the position for the time being and cut bait ASAP. If you have an exit interview, explain to them that the only reason you accepted the "promotion" was because they threatend your livelyhood - and now you have the opportunity to repay the favor.

Their are jerks in every level of employment, small business owners are not exempt.

On a side note, I am very surprised we havent seen the, "Just suck it up," response more today.

bmoore
10-09-2012, 11:46
Another great example of the private sector. We need you to do more work for the same pay and worse hours, we will call you when we need you. Don't like it? We will fire you!!!

devildog2067
10-09-2012, 13:43
Another great example of the private sector. We need you to do more work for the same pay and worse hours, we will call you when we need you. Don't like it? We will fire you!!!
So be indispensable.

What does that have anything to do with "the private sector"?

devildog2067
10-09-2012, 13:46
PS: you lost your job the minute the boss flipped out about you saying "no." It ain't right but it is what it is. I'd be looking for something else if I were you, I wouldn't want to work for a company like that.

RedTop
10-09-2012, 16:29
So be indispensable.

What does that have anything to do with "the private sector"?

Go easy. He's just regurgitating what he was taught.

FPS
10-09-2012, 16:33
Not knowing all the details, I'd take the offer, do a kick ass job to show them you're value and then ask for more money when it's obvious you're worth it.

I've had a number of "promotions" where I didn't get a raise but took on more responsibility. Then, later on down the road, the money followed. I don't know what business you are in or if you can trust the people you work with but for me this has been a successful strategy.

bmoore
10-09-2012, 16:38
Go easy. He's just regurgitating what he was taught.

Sometimes the truth hurts, thats what I have to tell my son too.

RedTop
10-09-2012, 16:46

Good luck with that. :wavey:

RonS
10-09-2012, 17:03
I'd take the job, sounds like you will have time during the day to job hunt. You are marketable, this job will be a resume builder, being fired will not. Organizations have cultures, some are healthier and more productive than others. Sorry you got the short straw.

G30SF/F-250
10-09-2012, 17:06
Not knowing all the details, I'd take the offer, do a kick ass job to show them you're value and then ask for more money when it's obvious you're worth it.

I've had a number of "promotions" where I didn't get a raise but took on more responsibility. Then, later on down the road, the money followed. I don't know what business you are in or if you can trust the people you work with but for me this has been a successful strategy.

This!

I guess I am different from most that replied but I am always looking to be more valuable to the company, learn more things that will help me in the future, and prove that I can handle anything that they throw my way.

The money has always followed once I proved I could handle the job.

devildog2067
10-09-2012, 17:06

You mean the truth that when two people enter into a business arrangement, oe of them can turn out to be a jackwad?

How is that the "private sector's" fault?

devildog2067
10-09-2012, 17:08

Also, come to think of it, this is a pretty good description of what happens to senior Lance Corporals. Except they don't get fired and can't quit. Yeah, working for the government is way better. :upeyes:

jpa
10-09-2012, 17:22
Not the kind of person I'd like working for. Do what's required to keep your job but start looking and cut out ASAP.