my lemon law saga is over [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : my lemon law saga is over

harlenm
10-08-2012, 17:57
Total cost out of my pocket was $1500. 50% of the difference in msrp between the 2011 and 2013.

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z405/harlenm/20121008_180830.jpg

USMCsilver
10-08-2012, 18:03
Awesome result!

skeeter7
10-08-2012, 21:49
Congratulations! :thumbsup:

Does the Nav system work in that one? :rofl:

m2hmghb
10-08-2012, 21:51
Congrats Harlen! Good luck with her!

Cclass
10-09-2012, 04:23
Congrats! Been through a lemon law case myself, not a fun process.

tous
10-09-2012, 04:25
Good for you, amigo.

Have a celebratory heffalump. :elephant:

Tvov
10-09-2012, 04:30
So.... link to original thread? For those of us who are challenged at searching...

And, congratulations!

skeeter7
10-09-2012, 04:32
So.... link to original thread? For those of us who are challenged at searching...

And, congratulations!

The beginning...

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1425991&highlight=ford+explorer

Thread that followed...

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1444054&highlight=ford+explorer

686Owner
10-09-2012, 05:34
You bought another of the same?

OctoberRust
10-09-2012, 06:24

Why not? Do you know what the definition of a "lemon" is?

They know no bounds, brand wise.

Gallium
10-09-2012, 06:31

Where do you think the money came from? :) It's not like his settlement allowed for cash back, and walk away. It most likely meant picking something new from stock and paying a diff in price.

Peace Warrior
10-09-2012, 06:33
Stickin' it to the man!

(does everything work on this one?) :supergrin:

byf43
10-09-2012, 06:42
Congratulations!!!!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

okie
10-09-2012, 06:51
Congrats on the outcome my friend:thumbsup:

686Owner
10-09-2012, 07:23
Where do you think the money came from? :) It's not like his settlement allowed for cash back, and walk away. It most likely meant picking something new from stock and paying a diff in price.

I figured they had to buy it back.

If I had to sue a company or go to arbitration because they wouldn't take care of me as a customer, I probably wouldn't be back.

goldenlight
10-09-2012, 07:26
Good for you.

Every time one of these cases goes 'all the way', as provided for under Federal law, it sends a message to auto manufacturers that better quality control pays for itself in the long run.

...and I wonder how long before the first Fiat 500 lemon law case... Because you KNOW it's going to happen.

The ONLY car sold in the USA that was worse than Fiat was the Yugo, IMHO.

Adjuster
10-09-2012, 09:02
Good for you.

Every time one of these cases goes 'all the way', as provided for under Federal law, it sends a message to auto manufacturers that better quality control pays for itself in the long run.

...and I wonder how long before the first Fiat 500 lemon law case... Because you KNOW it's going to happen.

The ONLY car sold in the USA that was worse than Fiat was the Yugo, IMHO.

Isnt the 500 the same as the Mini? I was under the impression those were pretty good cars. Nothing to base that on other then I hear people say good things about the Mini.

/

Chuck66
10-09-2012, 10:26
Good deal. Congrats!

harlenm
10-09-2012, 10:41

If I had to sue a company or go to arbitration because they wouldn't take care of me as a customer, I probably wouldn't be back.

Yes, I was given $46,300 towards the purchase of a new Ford vehicle.

I could have asked for cash back, but they would have deducted for mileage, and I could have lost over $9,000, which would have left me with very little cash after paying off my existing loan.

This was the best choice, and aside for a minor issue with my sunroof, this one seems good so far.

SC Tiger
10-09-2012, 13:11
Isnt the 500 the same as the Mini? I was under the impression those were pretty good cars. Nothing to base that on other then I hear people say good things about the Mini.

/

Different cars I believe.

And it's not like the Mini has a sterling reliability record. It is usually at the bottom of the quality rankings for new cars.

Fiat has a good reputation in Europe but we'll see (or the buyers will see - I'm not buying one). This is curious since I believe Fiat owns Alfa Romeo, which is known as a POS.

SC Tiger
10-09-2012, 13:12
This was the best choice, and aside for a minor issue with my sunroof, this one seems good so far.

Didn't the last one have a sunroof problem as well?

harlenm
10-09-2012, 13:18
Didn't the last one have a sunroof problem as well?

my old one had a sunroof rattle, lol.

The controls on this one are messed up. It will open with one touch, but won't close with one touch. plus the shade goes all the way to the rear of the vehicle exposing both sunroofs with just one push, and it's supposed to stop after clearing the first sunroof.

SC Tiger
10-09-2012, 13:24
my old one had a sunroof rattle, lol.

The controls on this one are messed up. It will open with one touch, but won't close with one touch. plus the shade goes all the way to the rear of the vehicle exposing both sunroofs with just one push, and it's supposed to stop after clearing the first sunroof.

Ordinarily I'd say make the dealer fix it. However, with the luck you've had I'd be tempted to just leave well enough alone. :rofl:

harlenm
10-09-2012, 13:28
Ordinarily I'd say make the dealer fix it. However, with the luck you've had I'd be tempted to just leave well enough alone. :rofl:

I'm guessing the switches that control the sunroof have something wrong with them, and simply changing them out will fix the issue.

Not a priority, will take it in and have it checked up at the first oil change.

Gregg702
10-09-2012, 13:40
$46,300? Wow, that is crazy expensive for an Explorer. I assume you checked every single option box.

harlenm
10-09-2012, 13:46
$46,300? Wow, that is crazy expensive for an Explorer. I assume you checked every single option box.

new one was $48,500, and there are several options I don't have.

Mr981
10-09-2012, 13:52
Yes, I was given $46,300 towards the purchase of a new Ford vehicle.

I could have asked for cash back, but they would have deducted for mileage, and I could have lost over $9,000, which would have left me with very little cash after paying off my existing loan.

Holy, Christ--what was on it?

Gallium
10-09-2012, 15:22

$23,600 cash in the boot. :tbo:

harlenm
10-09-2012, 17:39

A fully loaded 2013 with tow package, polished wheels, 2nd row bucket seats with console, roof rail cross bars, and certain colors will be over $51,000

Tvov
10-09-2012, 18:57
Also remember, different parts of the country have different prices.

Cclass
10-09-2012, 19:20

When I won my case I had three choices of settlement.

1) cash back -$0.10 a mile up to the point of my first complaint.
2) replace my vehicle with a used one of comparable options & miles.
3) new vehicle and I pay the difference.

I took the cash.

harlenm
10-09-2012, 19:32
When I won my case I had three choices of settlement.

1) cash back -$0.10 a mile up to the point of my first complaint.
2) replace my vehicle with a used one of comparable options & miles.
3) new vehicle and I pay the difference.

I took the cash.

I had to choose before. Cash back with a mileage deduction that worked out to be close to $.40 per mile. Replacement vehicle. The difference in price was split evenly between ford and me, and that was the arbitrators decision.

Crazy KD
10-09-2012, 20:57
I'll have to read the older threads, but with my lemon law I walked away with a check for the full purchase price I paid for the car. It never even went to court as I only threatened it because the car was in the shop for multiple crazy / strange issues they could never fix. I think they bought it back prior to me going to lemon law so it wouldn't get stamped a 'lemon'. I'm guessing the car simply looked like I traded it in with 6,000 miles. They offered to allow me to trade into any other make from Mitsu, but I've never stepped into another one of their showrooms again. They didn't offer me another of the same vehicle because they all had the same issue that they could not fix.

Lone_Wolfe
10-09-2012, 21:06
Glad it worked out well for you.

method
10-10-2012, 01:14

/

Entirely different cars. Fiat's Italian, Mini is British, though Austrian built by BMW.

*ASH*
10-10-2012, 02:40
new one was $48,500, and there are several options I don't have.

:faint::faint: gexxuxs , noway in hell id pay that for a ford , just saying , my dad passed in 1995 if he was alive today he would flip out and go crazy on some of these prices, the last brand new truck he bought fully loaded was 1992 ford f150 out the door 13,000 bucks .

*ASH*
10-10-2012, 02:44

/

i own a mini , and no its not the same at all like the fiat 500 , all i remember back in high school was fiat was a big POS . i would not own a fiat 500 . BUT my daughter looked at them before buying her kia soul , i put my foot down , i drove one ,looked it over and its a headache waiting to happen .

SC Tiger
10-10-2012, 06:10

I considered some SUVs before buying my Civic but I just can't stomach the prices anymore. I'm sure they're "worth it" but I just can't get there. How much does the Cadillac equivalent go for?

My pickup was $27K back in 2000, and that seemed like a lot. Part of what moved me to Honda was when I was looking at new cars for my parents and saw a Chevrolet Impala for $28K. I recommended Honda and they bought one. Never looked back.

ca survivor
10-10-2012, 06:41
I like the new Explorer, but refuse to buy any car/truck with the gas window/outlet on the right side, never had a passenger put gas in for me. :rofl:

boomhower
10-10-2012, 12:32
I considered some SUVs before buying my Civic but I just can't stomach the prices anymore. I'm sure they're "worth it" but I just can't get there. How much does the Cadillac equivalent go for?

My pickup was $27K back in 2000, and that seemed like a lot. Part of what moved me to Honda was when I was looking at new cars for my parents and saw a Chevrolet Impala for $28K. I recommended Honda and they bought one. Never looked back.

Caddy it GM. The Lincoln version starts at 39.5 for FWD and 41.4 for AWD. Put a Lincoln version through the built it things and with Navi and dual sunroofs with AWD was $48.2, not much of a premium of the OP's Ford.

AZ Jeff
10-10-2012, 12:40
I like the new Explorer, but refuse to buy any car/truck with the gas window/outlet on the right side, never had a passenger put gas in for me. :rofl:

The filler on the passenger's side is a safety feature to improve fuel filler integrity in a sideswipe accident.

SC Tiger
10-10-2012, 12:44
Caddy it GM. The Lincoln version starts at 39.5 for FWD and 41.4 for AWD. Put a Lincoln version through the built it things and with Navi and dual sunroofs with AWD was $48.2, not much of a premium of the OP's Ford.

I know - I just figured the Caddy SUV (used to be the Escalade) couldn't start out much more than the OP paid for his Explorer.

SC Tiger
10-10-2012, 12:46
The filler on the passenger's side is a safety feature to improve fuel filler integrity in a sideswipe accident.

My wife's Malibu had it on the passenger side. My Silverado has it on the driver's side. It used to drive me nuts when I went to fill her car and would pull up to the wrong side of the pump.

They really should standardize that across all cars. Or just put it back behind the license plate.

harlenm
10-10-2012, 12:55
I know - I just figured the Caddy SUV (used to be the Escalade) couldn't start out much more than the OP paid for his Explorer.

The Escalade starts at $63k!!!

AZ Jeff
10-10-2012, 13:26
. Or just put it back behind the license plate.

That's an even WORSE location for fuel filler integrity!!!

(and why nobody uses that location any more)

SC Tiger
10-10-2012, 13:58
The Escalade starts at $63k!!!

I stand corrected.

harlenm
10-10-2012, 14:23
I stand corrected.

And the Lincoln Navigator starts at $57k. Loaded is $66k.

janice6
10-10-2012, 14:35

Some years ago, I was talking to a friend that was a sales manager for a Ford dealer, about dissatisfied customers. He said "for every one that leaves Ford, a new customer comes over from GM or Chrsler. Doesn't hurt a thing".

AtlantaR6
10-10-2012, 14:40
My wife's Malibu had it on the passenger side. My Silverado has it on the driver's side. It used to drive me nuts when I went to fill her car and would pull up to the wrong side of the pump.

They really should standardize that across all cars. Or just put it back behind the license plate.

Every time you stop for gas look at the gauge. There will be an arrow indicating which side the filler is on. Great when you drive a lot of rental cars!

686Owner
10-10-2012, 15:16
Some years ago, I was talking to a friend that was a sales manager for a Ford dealer, about dissatisfied customers. He said "for every one that leaves Ford, a new customer comes over from GM or Chrsler. Doesn't hurt a thing".

That may be true in general, but if you keep at it, eventually you'll be taking govt bail outs. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.