Thank God for common sense.....S&W 500 range incident [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Thank God for common sense.....S&W 500 range incident

Roger1079
10-09-2012, 10:56
So I am at the range yesterday and brought out the 4" S&W 500 for the first time in months. First 5 rounds go perfectly. Reload the cylinder and fire one shot then nothing on the second round. I leave the gun pointed downrange for a good 30 seconds to make sure it wasn't a delayed primer. After the time passed, I almost made a mistake that probably would have cost me dearly.

I almost shot another round without checking. As I am still holding the revolver downrange I think better of it since the noise it made was slightly louder than just the hammer falling. The round was not a dud. It ended up being a squib. The bullet was lodged about 1/8" down the barrel. I do not even want to imagine what would have happened had I pulled the trigger again without looking. Thank God for common sense.

This was the first squib I have ever had and of course it is in the biggest handgun imaginable. It took about 10 minutes to dislodge it from the barrel. At this point, I decided to just put it away and finish running my 1911 and XDs. Ended up being a good range day rather than a trip to the hospital. On the upside, now I know what a squib sounds like and will never almost make that mistake again.

Gregg702
10-09-2012, 11:01
Were the rounds factory or handloads?

Gallium
10-09-2012, 11:18
So I am at the range yesterday and brought out the 4" S&W 500 for the first time in months. First 5 rounds go perfectly. Reload the cylinder and fire one shot then nothing on the second round. I leave the gun pointed downrange for a good 30 seconds to make sure it wasn't a delayed primer. After the time passed, I almost made a mistake that probably would have cost me dearly.

I almost shot another round without checking. As I am still holding the revolver downrange I think better of it since the noise it made was slightly louder than just the hammer falling. The round was not a dud. It ended up being a squib. The bullet was lodged about 1/8" down the barrel. I do not even want to imagine what would have happened had I pulled the trigger again without looking. Thank God for common sense.

This was the first squib I have ever had and of course it is in the biggest handgun imaginable. It took about 10 minutes to dislodge it from the barrel. At this point, I decided to just put it away and finish running my 1911 and XDs. Ended up being a good range day rather than a trip to the hospital. On the upside, now I know what a squib sounds like and will never almost make that mistake again.

You held the gun down range for 30 seconds and then decided to fire anyways?

Not sure if I understand your post...

Roger1079
10-09-2012, 11:20
Were the rounds factory or handloads?Factory 400gr Magtech.

itstime
10-09-2012, 11:20
Wow. You are lucky. I couldn't imagine what that would have ended up like.

Angry Fist
10-09-2012, 11:21
:alex:

Glad you avoided certain catastrophe!

Roger1079
10-09-2012, 11:23
You held the gun down range for 30 seconds and then decided to fire anyways?

Not sure if I understand your post...After I pulled the trigger and it didn't go bang, I held the gun downrange for 30 seconds to make sure it wasn't a hangfire. My moment of near idiocy was when I almost pulled the hammer back to fire the next round thinking it was a dud before I used my brain and checked the cylinder.

Roger1079
10-09-2012, 11:27
Wow. You are lucky. I couldn't imagine what that would have ended up like.Me either. I have seen kabooms caused by squibs in both a S&W M&P9 and a Glock22 and pretty much the only thing that was unscathed on both pistols was the slide. The barrel and frame were destroyed. I couldn't even imagine what it would have done in a caliber that large.

Gregg702
10-09-2012, 11:29
Factory 400gr Magtech.

Scary. Glad you checked and didn't get hurt.

Gallium
10-09-2012, 11:41
After I pulled the trigger and it didn't go bang, I held the gun downrange for 30 seconds to make sure it wasn't a hangfire. My moment of near idiocy was when I almost pulled the hammer back to fire the next round thinking it was a dud before I used my brain and checked the cylinder.

whoa. When I have any kind of misfire, I always look at the round to see "what's up".

A 400gr bullet...that would DEFINITELY have left a mark. :faint::faint:

G36's Rule
10-09-2012, 11:47
No powder in the cartridge?

norton
10-09-2012, 11:53
As re loaders we often think about squib loads from hand made ammo.
I had a bullet just clear the barrel of my 1911 once with Winchester White Box. .45 acp. I heard a pop instead of a bang and then the bullet bounced off the ground about 10 feet in front of me.
No ammo is perfect.
Glad you are ok.

Detectorist
10-09-2012, 12:25
It has nothing to do with common sense. It has all to do with knowledge and training.

eb07
10-09-2012, 12:26
Magtech.

That explains a lot.

Glad you got out of it unscathed due to your last minute reality check.

Roger1079
10-09-2012, 12:29
whoa. When I have any kind of misfire, I always look at the round to see "what's up".

A 400gr bullet...that would DEFINITELY have left a mark. :faint::faint:This was actually the first misfire I have ever had like this. The only others I have ever had were light primer strikes. The powder was definitely in there, just for some reason didn't all ignite as it was supposed to. We all live and learn. I am just thankful yesterday wasn't my nomination for this years Darwin award.

Roger1079
10-09-2012, 12:41
It has nothing to do with common sense. It has all to do with knowledge and training.Very true. Lesson learned.

SC Tiger
10-09-2012, 12:49
After I pulled the trigger and it didn't go bang, I held the gun downrange for 30 seconds to make sure it wasn't a hangfire. My moment of near idiocy was when I almost pulled the hammer back to fire the next round thinking it was a dud before I used my brain and checked the cylinder.

You almost goofed up bad, but in the end you did it right.

Give the round 30-60 seconds to fire before doing anything, but then check it before pulling the trigger again.

I sometimes get wierd looks at the range if I have primed brass (no powder or bullet) that I need to de-prime. I put them in the gun and point it downrange and fire it. It just pops but people think I'm nuts for pulling the trigger again. If it wasn't for the fact I knew it was primed brass I would be.

Berto
10-09-2012, 12:49
1) I'd of been pissed, given how much factory .500 ammo cost.

2) Very good of you to have the presence of mind, checking the bore.

3) Get with Magtech CS, maybe score a free box best case, a heads-up for them, worst case.

I had that happen a few times, once with Blazer Brass 9mmP and another with a friends Mosin M44 in 7.62x54R- surplus ammo.

Deanster
10-09-2012, 13:01
Someone taught me the deadly simple mnemonic of 'pop equals stop', and I'm reminded by this of how critical that can be.

This is one of the (many) things that I don't really like about revolvers. With a semi-auto, you do a clearance drill, and it's clear if you're ejecting a spent round or a whole one. If it's spent and the slide didn't cycle, the bullet MUST be in the barrel.

With a revolver a clearance drill is just to pull the trigger again, and advance to the next round. Great if it's a true FTF in a combat situation. Othewise, No bueno!

Glad this worked out for you!

GlockinNJ
10-09-2012, 13:21
Wow - good thing you resisted the urge to pull that trigger. Glad you are OK.

Berto
10-09-2012, 13:26
Someone taught me the deadly simple mnemonic of 'pop equals stop', and I'm reminded by this of how critical that can be.

This is one of the (many) things that I don't really like about revolvers. With a semi-auto, you do a clearance drill, and it's clear if you're ejecting a spent round or a whole one. If it's spent and the slide didn't cycle, the bullet MUST be in the barrel.

With a revolver a clearance drill is just to pull the trigger again, and advance to the next round. Great if it's a true FTF in a combat situation. Othewise, No bueno!

Glad this worked out for you!

To be fair .....(:supergrin:)

Many times revolver just spit both bullets out, esp with the lower pressure rounds, but they do 'ring' the bore.
I've seen it with .38sp guns, especially.
I have picture of a mod 64 with 5 slugs stacked in the bore, like the guy couldn't figure out something was wrong until....

gwalchmai
10-09-2012, 13:44
Glad you weren't hurt. Yeah, I'd get in touch with MagTech. They'll need the case & bullet and the lot number.