TV Show American Hoggers [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : TV Show American Hoggers

Dirk Pitt
10-09-2012, 13:33
OK forget all the drama and everything else. I just have one question.

Why are they capturing these hogs? Why don't they just shoot them? I did see one episode when they were shooting at them (poorly I might add). They have got the hardware, I just don't get why they don't plug'em and throw them in the truck???

Any Ideas?

willie_pete
10-09-2012, 13:43
More impressive for the viewing audience?

WP

10sRin
10-09-2012, 13:48
I believe they sell them.

Slackinoff
10-09-2012, 13:50
I believe there might be specific "wild hog" slaughter houses that ask the pigs be delivered alive.....most of these slaughter houses donate the meat. But yes...10sRin is right, whatever the destination...they sell them.

PBCounty
10-09-2012, 13:51
I've done some things I'm not proud of but I'm not down with tagging dead chicks.

NeverMore1701
10-09-2012, 13:55
I've done some things I'm not proud of but I'm not down with tagging dead chicks.

:bowdown:

Bren
10-09-2012, 13:57
I believe there might be specific "wild hog" slaughter houses that ask the pigs be delivered alive.....most of these slaughter houses donate the meat. But yes...10sRin is right, whatever the destination...they sell them.

Maybe I'm missing the point. Why would a slaughterhouse pay somebody for a wild hog, require it to be delivered alive, then kill it and give the meat away? That doesn't even make sense.

Lonestar 48
10-09-2012, 14:21
I imagine there is a regulation about any animal destined for slaughter and human consumption has to be alive when it gets to the slaughter house.

glock_19guy1983
10-09-2012, 14:21
Maybe I'm missing the point. Why would a slaughterhouse pay somebody for a wild hog, require it to be delivered alive, then kill it and give the meat away? That doesn't even make sense.

It wouldnt surprise me if they get govt. Subsities for them.

Arc Angel
10-09-2012, 14:30
Hog meat - especially male boar hog meat - needs to be gutted and cleaned as quickly as possible after the kill. Boars, also, must have their genitalia removed within 3 minutes of dying; or else the meat ends up tasting really rancid.

phil evans
10-09-2012, 15:45
meat from rutting boar hogs can be more gamey(endocrine/ductless glands hormones).
some adult boars taste really good.
hog meat is not tainted after death as all circulation stops. what hogs have been feeding on the previous 15 days is primary to tastefulness.
this so called "reality" tv show is an embarrassment to texas.

Dirk Pitt
10-09-2012, 15:51
Thanks for all the responses, I have seen other shows not prime time stuff and the usual youtube stuff where they are just getting shot wholesale.

I guess they did don't care about those.

Kingarthurhk
10-09-2012, 16:25
I imagine there is a regulation about any animal destined for slaughter and human consumption has to be alive when it gets to the slaughter house.

Interesting. Aligators are harvested and then sold.

Kingarthurhk
10-09-2012, 16:26
I haven't figured out why they aren't killing them either. They are a menace, and I have hunted properties with the blessing and encouragement of the owners to just keep them from rutting up their land. I don't eat them, but I sure understand killing them.

jeepinbandit
10-09-2012, 16:40
Cause it's a TV show and I'd guess the producers don't want to have a bunch of dead animals flashing across the screen every night. That'd be my guess anyway. Any other time the cameras aren't around I'd bet these folks shoot them as normal.

wlkjr
10-09-2012, 17:14
I think they take them to another farmer's land and turn'em aloose so they can charge him to catch'em again.
On the other hand there is more silly drama having girls put the hobbles on. It's all about the drama.
I enjoyed seeing Uncle Ted shoot them out of a helicopter much more.

Dirk Pitt
10-10-2012, 07:42
I enjoyed seeing Uncle Ted shoot them out of a helicopter much more.

Roger That !

Chuck TX
10-10-2012, 08:37
Don't want to upset folks with reality.

It'd be a better show if they were hog dogging properly, with a knife.

Arc Angel
10-10-2012, 09:05
meat from rutting boar hogs can be more gamey(endocrine/ductless glands hormones).
some adult boars taste really good. Hog meat is not tainted after death as all circulation stops. What hogs have been feeding on the previous 15 days is primary to tastefulness.

This so called "reality" tv show is an embarrassment to texas.

:shocked: You mean the guys at my last hog barbecue told me wrong! ;)

I agree about the, 'reality show'. I have to believe that Texans are far more civilized than they appear to be on that pig of a program. (At least my Texas relatives are!) Come to think of it, ....... I hate reality TV! :supergrin:

Dennis in MA
10-10-2012, 09:50
As the dad says on the show: "Reee rahuh eyum blahayuh."

ron8903
10-10-2012, 09:59
We catch them in a trap, then feed them
out a couple weeks with corn.
taste better............

Pawcatch@aol.co
10-10-2012, 10:01
I don't think it has anything to do with showing lots of dead animals on tv because they do it on Swamp People.

Anyways,I love American Hoggers,I invite my buddies over to watch it and I make sausage balls as snackers.

Drain You
10-10-2012, 10:07
Never seen the show, but I've come to realize that any reality show that starts with "American" is CRAP. Sure they are all interesting enough to draw you in at first but then it becomes an IQ endurance test. The longer you watch the dumber you apparently are.

I might have watched American Chopper for 8 years

Slackinoff
10-10-2012, 10:24

Subsidized by the local gov/charity house. Live hog = good meat. Dead hog = too many variables. (not talking about taste)
I am no expert, this is just what I have heard around my parts.

LSUAdman
10-10-2012, 10:40
I don't think it has anything to do with showing lots of dead animals on tv because they do it on Swamp People.

Anyways,I love Americans,I invite my buddies over to watch it and I make sausage balls as snackers.

I think it has more to do with how they qualify the animals. Fish and gators are cold blooded, so we aren't as "attached" to seeing one die. But think to hunting shows - they rarely anymore show a kill shot. Usually, with the latest ones I have seen, they show the aftermath after it's been cleaned up and posed.

I dont think it's a "rule" or anything, but I can see TV execs sitting there thinking seeing a dead mammal is different than a cold blooded creature.

Pawcatch@aol.co
10-10-2012, 11:12
I think it has more to do with how they qualify the animals. Fish and gators are cold blooded, so we aren't as "attached" to seeing one die. But think to hunting shows - they rarely anymore show a kill shot. Usually, with the latest ones I have seen, they show the aftermath after it's been cleaned up and posed.

I dont think it's a "rule" or anything, but I can see TV execs sitting there thinking seeing a dead mammal is different than a cold blooded creature.

I'm a hunting show junkie and I haven't noticed that at all.
The only ones who don't show the kill shot are the old school guys like Jackie Bushman.
Pig Man,Nugent,Buck Commanders,Waddel,Randal Reeder,Bone Collectors,etc. all show kill shots.

But I do think you have a point with cold blooded animals vs. mammals.

LSUAdman
10-10-2012, 11:20
I'm a hunting show junkie and I haven't noticed that at all.
The only ones who don't show the kill shot are the old school guys like Jackie Bushman.
Pig Man,Nugent,Buck Commanders,Waddel,Randal Reeder,Bone Collectors,etc. all show kill shots.

But I do think you have a point with cold blooded animals vs. mammals.

I might be watching the wrong ones then - I only put them on during hunting season and couldnt tell you which shows.

It came up a few years ago when my wife watched two or three in a row with me (combo of rifle and bow hunting) and she asked why they never shown the kill shot. In each one, bow included, the moment the hunter would fire, they would show the deer, switch to the hunter shooting, that "rush" we all get right afterwards and some commentary about the shoot, and then they'd show the deer nicely propped up, all nice and clean.

I think the ones I watched were on the Outdoor Network, but dont quote me on that.

Pawcatch@aol.co
10-10-2012, 11:23
I might be watching the wrong ones then - I only put them on during hunting season and couldnt tell you which shows.

It came up a few years ago when my wife watched two or three in a row with me (combo of rifle and bow hunting) and she asked why they never shown the kill shot. In each one, bow included, the moment the hunter would fire, they would show the deer, switch to the hunter shooting, that "rush" we all get right afterwards and some commentary about the shoot, and then they'd show the deer nicely propped up, all nice and clean.

I think the ones I watched were on the Outdoor Network, but dont quote me on that.

I believe you and that makes sense.
The Outdoor Network is run by the Gold Fever guys and is a lot more tame than the Pursuit and Sportsman channels.

Lonestar 48
10-10-2012, 11:56
Here's some information pertinent to Texas;

http://tacaa.org/faqs/

G36's Rule
10-10-2012, 12:03
Here's some information pertinent to Texas;

http://tacaa.org/faqs/

Venison only.

G36's Rule
10-10-2012, 12:07
The reason they catch them and keep them live is so they can sell them. Dead hog is worthless unless you want it for your own freezer.

http://www.wildhoghunters.com/hog-hunting/601-texas-tahc-approved-hog-buying-stations.html

ranger88
10-10-2012, 12:48
A live hog isn't rotting in the Texas heat while you continue to hunt throughout the day, negating the need for a refrigerated truck. That's the only thing that I can deduce.

Oh yeah, and the blonde girl Lea doesn't get nearly enough credit for the work that she does. :whistling:

Lonestar 48
10-10-2012, 12:54
Venison only.

Read the fourth bullet point down

G36's Rule
10-10-2012, 14:18
Read the fourth bullet point down

Like I said, Hunters for the Hungry is venison only.

Lonestar 48
10-10-2012, 19:22
Like I said, Hunters for the Hungry is venison only.

The question was why aren't the hogs shot on the show. The fourth point down answers that question pertaining to slaughterhouses and why the animals must be presented live. Your first comment didn't mention Hunters for the Hungry, only "Venison only".