How many AR-15 magazines do you own? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How many AR-15 magazines do you own?

OctoberRust
10-09-2012, 14:15
Curious how many 30 round AR-15 magazines you guys own?

I'm looking to up mine a little before I start putting together a 2nd AR-15 (will probably be a little more patient this time, since I've already got one now. :supergrin:) Curious how many you guys have? I currently have 10, but would like to stock up on a little more before I start spending my play money on other things.

AK_Stick
10-09-2012, 14:24
10 pmags ready to go

30-40+ USGI

G23Adam
10-09-2012, 14:25
I have 20 I use with about 30 or so in reserve.

All but 10 are Pmags.

FnKev
10-09-2012, 14:28
10-12 per weapon is what I like to keep. It really depends on how much you shoot I think. Some people would be fine with a couple if they only go to the range occasionally, others might need way more than I keep because they shoot in classes or go to the range more than I. I use the same 6 for my Scar regularly, and I have 5 more still in box in case I need to replace any mags at some point. What do YOU need? :)

FatBoy
10-09-2012, 14:44
Over 100, less than 150.

John Biltz
10-09-2012, 14:45
A logical approach is to decide what your basic load should be. People are going to have different opinions from its not in your home defense rotation to planning for the inevitable zombie apocalypse. Uncle Sam taught me minimum basic load is seven but we are not in a war zone laying down suppressive fire. One in the gun and a spare would cover anything short of the inevitable zombie apocalypse for civilians. Saying that, I want seven. Then what you need for range use. Personally, I keep my range magazines separate from my defense magazines for several reasons from not abusing a magazine my life might depend on to just being to lazy to unload and reload a defense magazine every time I go shooting. Add in whatever you may or may not want to stash for back up in case a magazine ban comes in and I think you are there. That is going to be hugely different numbers from one person to the next but its the sensible way to do it as opposed to must. have. more. magazines.

samurairabbi
10-09-2012, 15:26
I have way too many ... But that's still not quite enough.

jeepinbandit
10-09-2012, 15:41
Over 20 something all pmags and a few Troy Battlemags

MarkCO
10-09-2012, 15:46
Plenty.

Just don't keep those PMags loaded! Aluminum and Stainless mags are fine, but the PMags will eventually roll the lips out and double feed or puke the whole 30. Sure, it takes a year or so fully loaded to deform them, but...

WinterWizard
10-09-2012, 17:51
Plenty.

Just don't keep those PMags loaded! Aluminum and Stainless mags are fine, but the PMags will eventually roll the lips out and double feed or puke the whole 30. Sure, it takes a year or so fully loaded to deform them, but...

I've heard the same thing but the opposite that metal mags will deform but polymer Pmags won't. :upeyes:

pag23
10-09-2012, 17:57
I have over 10 GI & Pmags.... no issues with either.

faawrenchbndr
10-09-2012, 18:04
Enough to fill a suitcase.............:whistling:

OctoberRust
10-09-2012, 18:06
Thanks guys! Just curious what others have, I'll end up grabbing some here and some there as time goes by.

Out of curiosity, on average if you shoot once a month or so, how long do ar-15 mags last? I hear they're parts that need a fair amount of replacing?

WoodenPlank
10-09-2012, 18:10
I have.... well, enough.

2 on the belt, 6 on chest rig, one in gun if it really came down to it, plus spares in the pack.

DaleGribble
10-09-2012, 18:16
37 Pmags & 3 aluminum GI mags.

I'm waiting on Aim to more of the C Products SS mags in.

vafish
10-09-2012, 18:18
I have at least 7 for each of my AR's. One in the gun and 6 in the old lbe mag pouches.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

mvician
10-09-2012, 18:23
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f240/mvician/P1150520.jpg

Jon_R
10-09-2012, 18:31
Over 100, less than 150.

Around there. BCM had a deal on a 100 pack few years ago something like $6.50 a mag and I bought it. Forgot the brand but researched it as good at the time and been 100%.

Sold some of those off but still have mix and match plus Pmags so probably little over 100. Made some ARs for my kids so they will probably head out into the world with a dozen or so a piece.

ETA Tempting. :)
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Magpul-PMAG-AR15-Magazine-CASE-p/mag211-black---case100.htm

Steve in PA
10-09-2012, 18:43
About 30. More than I need, but less than I want.

MarkCO
10-09-2012, 19:05
37 Pmags & 3 aluminum GI mags.

I'm waiting on Aim to more of the C Products SS mags in.

You do know that C-Products wnet out of business don't you?

michael_b
10-09-2012, 19:05
11 30rd PMAGS and 1 20 rounder.

MarkCO
10-09-2012, 19:07
I've heard the same thing but the opposite that metal mags will deform but polymer Pmags won't. :upeyes:

Quality metal mags won't creep. There were some cheap ones that would, but it was use moslty, not just sitting loaded. I explained the polymer feedlip issue in the other mag thread on here.

michael_b
10-09-2012, 19:28
Plenty.

Even with the dust cover on?

MarkCO
10-09-2012, 19:32
Even with the dust cover on?

Yep. The failure mode is slightly different with the dust cover vs. without, but they still fail long term.

GoBigOrange
10-09-2012, 19:32
Can anyone tell me if these are good magazines? I only have experience with pmags.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=MCPAR30BA

MarkCO
10-09-2012, 19:34
Can anyone tell me if these are good magazines? I only have experience with pmags.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=MCPAR30BA

They are good mags. I've run them in 20, and 40 quite a bit.

Cole125
10-09-2012, 19:50
Plenty.

Wrong, try again.

This is a biggest load of BS I've read all day.

klmmicro
10-09-2012, 19:52
Wow, I have a pile of USGI mags that were collected off the fantail of a ship I served on. They were going to shovel them over the side because they were a few years old. Asked if we could keep em, the Gunners said yes...so we did. Not sure how many.

MarkCO
10-09-2012, 19:54
You a funny dude Cole.

AK_Stick
10-09-2012, 20:19
Plenty.

Yep. The failure mode is slightly different with the dust cover vs. without, but they still fail long term.

Has not been my experience, and I've had P-mags for a long time. I have had mags loaded for a year plus and no issues.

samuse
10-09-2012, 20:21
I think I have somewhere between 130 and 160.

Mostly NHMTGs and Colts (all with Magpul followers) but also about 15 or 20 Pmags and some G.I. Centers (with the tan followers).

Oh yeah, and two Okays.

Hour13
10-09-2012, 20:23

Ok, not trying to pee in the Cheerios here...

But that's not a dust cover.

It is a cap, designed in response to the theory of "feed lip failure". I say "theory" because I've never personally seen any proof of this in Pmags. Ever. That really doesn't mean squat, but I don't buy it. My "house mags" sit fully loaded, no cap, for ages before cycling into the range bag. Never an issue.

Anyhow, if you put the cap on top of a fully loaded mag, you'll notice that the cap is hooked on the body of the mag, and the loaded rounds are pushed down, relieving all pressure on the feed lips.

In reality, there's more pressure on the feedlips sitting unloaded without the cap, than fully loaded with the cap on.

Pmag feed lips get damaged from abuse, and from age.

All of which is of course, just my humble little opinion.

:wavey:

Rally Vincent
10-09-2012, 20:27
Not sure about the number. But I bought three gorilla boxes full off of a G.I. From Europe.

jbglock
10-09-2012, 20:33
Three Colt 20 round mags, a bag (probably 8 or so) of various USGI 30 rd mags, 6 30 rd Thermold mags, 5 20 rd Thermold mags, and 2 20 rd PMAG. I like the 20 rd PMAG so much I'm getting ready to order more of them. Probably about 4 more should be enough for me.

MarkCO
10-09-2012, 20:37
Hour13

Discussion works, so no worries.

Sure, cap is a good term. The failure rate is low, granted, but the longer the mags are loaded, the greater the failure rate. I see at least one PMag double feed, usually more, everytime I work a rifle stage at a major 3 gun match. In all cases, they are older mags that have been loaded for a while and the feed lips have spread apart. When I did the test for a LEA, I had a LOT of PMags in test jigs to measure creep over time. Many of them did have feed lips deform out of spec, but many of thsoe still functioned.

Actually, with the cap, the pressure changes, it is NOT releived. Instead of pressing open from inside, now it is pulling the front and rear spine together. Due to the change in the stress state, this increases the time for deformation to widen the feedlips, but it is still a stress level that is above the creep capacity of the material. The reality is there is more stress with the cap and a full mag than an empty mag. It is a FBD to see the stress state, but it is still there.

Over inserted mags can cut the feedlips and there are other abuses, but the PMags take abuse better overall than the metal mags. But, you said/

"Pmag feed lips get damaged from abuse, and from age."

What do you mean, "from age". If you look at it, this is deformation and or degradation which metal feedlips are not subject to in the same way.

WoodenPlank
10-09-2012, 20:44
Has not been my experience, and I've had P-mags for a long time. I have had mags loaded for a year plus and no issues.

Same boat here. I've even done some Mk. 1 Eyeball tests comparing them to breand new, straight from the package PMAGs from time to time, and the feed lip spacing was nearly or completely identical.

Louisville Glocker
10-09-2012, 20:57
Never enough....but they're all loaded (my 9 year old makes sure of that), and they all get used. It is enough for current uses, but I'll always want more.....such is life.

K. Foster
10-09-2012, 21:04
I keep about 50.

cowboy1964
10-09-2012, 21:06

Do you have any evidence to support this claim? Regardless, isn't the cover taking the pressure off the lips? So how can they "deform"?

wallytoo
10-09-2012, 21:08
3 Aluminum 30 rounders, 4-30 round Pmags, 4 20-round Pmags. Plenty for practice, not enough for zombies.

cyphertext
10-09-2012, 21:15
I only have 6. :crying:

Cochese
10-09-2012, 21:18
My experience with PMags has been contrary to MarkCOs. I've been running them since they were in beta as a tester. I work for an area LE agency in the metro area. Drake was nice enough to set me up with early test models along with a beta CTR stock and beta MIAD.

I had issues with extremely early PMags but it was during testing phase. It was a mold issue. I've had a first run PMag loaded since 2007 and it runs like a top.

I have purchased hundreds and hundreds of them as a police armorer. Never see any problems. I'm not usually a very lucky guy.

MarkCO
10-09-2012, 21:22
Do you have any evidence to support this claim? Regardless, isn't the cover taking the pressure off the lips? So how can they "deform"?

The spring force is still there, just reconfigured. The cases are not pushing the feedlips, but the force has changed from pushing out, to pulling the front and rear spline together, like I stated already. This effectively results in the widening of the feedlips as well...just takes more time.

michael e
10-09-2012, 21:22
None. I have 4-40 8-20 and one 9 round. But no 30 for some reason

MarkCO
10-09-2012, 21:36
My experience with PMags has been contrary to MarkCOs. I've been running them since they were in beta as a tester. I work for an area LE agency in the metro area. Drake was nice enough to set me up with early test models along with a beta CTR stock and beta MIAD.

I had issues with extremely early PMags but it was during testing phase. It was a mold issue. I've had a first run PMag loaded since 2007 and it runs like a top.

I have purchased hundreds and hundreds of them as a police armorer. Never see any problems. I'm not usually a very lucky guy.

Not sure how the fact that we both use PMags and MagPul furniture makes our experiences different. I've never had a PMag fail when I was using it either. 3/4 of my mags are PMags.

The difference is in the perfomance of failure analysis and understanding the failure modes. Are they rare? Yes, read what I wrote. Does the analysis and testing support creep of the feed lips? Yes. If you put 30 rounds in a PMag and leave it loaded for 10 years, will the feedlips be the same? No. Will it feed all 30 rounds without failure...place your bet.

Info is certainly out there, so make your choice and move on. It is really pretty simple and it makes no difference to me what anyones choice is one way or the other. Fact of the matter, if 2 or 3 magazines out of 100 would fail in 5 years, the chance that it will be yours is pretty small, the chance that you will need it to not fail, even smaller.

Cochese
10-09-2012, 21:48
I don't think we disagree Mark.

I guess all I am saying is I personally haven't experienced any of the documented failures. I'm not saying they can't happen, simply that I haven't experienced them.

My sampling is great in numbers... probably greater than anyone here, as I manage rifles for a lot of people... most if not all of them running PMags of every vintage.

Anything is possible though.

AK_Stick
10-09-2012, 21:50
Actually, you said in a year or two, they will be deformed and unreliable.

Many, seem to disagree with that statement.

The "info" is certainly out there, but I haven't seen much of it that agrees with you.

mjkeat
10-09-2012, 21:50
Who puts 30 rounds in any 30 round AR magazine? Throw me in the pile w/ the guys who leave PMags loaded and have no issues.

AKRover
10-09-2012, 22:02
I currently have 7 Pmags for my AR and never had an issue with any of them. I keep my HD mags loaded to about 25 instead of the full 30. Someone told me that is better on the spring. I rotate my HD mag about month or two and all mags get used at the range to make sure they all continue to function.

Big Bird
10-09-2012, 22:07
Don't really know. I'd guess somewhere between 40 and 50. My go to mags have become the Lancer L5 AWM but I have a significant number of USGI and P-Mags as well.

MarkCO
10-09-2012, 22:07
Actually, you said in a year or two, they will be deformed and unreliable.

Can you point me to where I said that?

MarkCO
10-09-2012, 22:09
I don't think we disagree Mark.

I guess all I am saying is I personally haven't experienced any of the documented failures. I'm not saying they can't happen, simply that I haven't experienced them.

My sampling is great in numbers... probably greater than anyone here, as I manage rifles for a lot of people... most if not all of them running PMags of every vintage.

Anything is possible though.

I'll agree with your experience, but not the last sentence. :supergrin:

AK_Stick
10-09-2012, 22:20
Can you point me to where I said that?

Certainly.

Plenty.

MarkCO
10-09-2012, 22:31
Certainly.

So, if you can't even find the quote that you stated I said, which is just reading the English langauge, do you really expect anyone to trust your opinion on magazines?

You stated: "Actually, you said in a year or two, they will be deformed and unreliable."

But that is nowhere in either thread! Please read the words again. Deformed in a year after fully loaded? Yes. Deformed does not directly transfer to unreliable. Words have meaning, you can't get emotional and just skip over what is written.

Get your calipers out, measure a new just out of the wrapper mag, photograph the measurements, load it full, come back in a year and measure, photograph same, then we can talk about it.

AK_Stick
10-09-2012, 22:55
I'm sorry, did you not say that Pmags will deform to the point that they will puke out 30 rounds, or double feed, and then not in the very next sentence tell us that it takes a year or so fully loaded to deform them?

Now I may have misinterpreted what you said, but when atleast 5 other posters have taken your post the same way, I kinda think its not just me, misreading what you wrote. At the very least, you should have clarified your statement.

Warp
10-10-2012, 00:26
I'm sorry, did you not say that Pmags will deform to the point that they will puke out 30 rounds, or double feed, and then not in the very next sentence tell us that it takes a year or so fully loaded to deform them?

Now I may have misinterpreted what you said, but when atleast 5 other posters have taken your post the same way, I kinda think its not just me, misreading what you wrote. At the very least, you should have clarified your statement.

AK_Stick, you are correct.

I have around 20 AR15 magazines. 12 are 30 round PMAGS.

skeeter7
10-10-2012, 00:47
I only have 6. :crying:

You're not alone. I only have 6 right now as well but I just picked my Colt up a few months ago. I'll deifinitely be picking up some more PMags soon.

Hour13
10-10-2012, 06:53
"Pmag feed lips get damaged from abuse, and from age."

What do you mean, "from age". If you look at it, this is deformation and or degradation which metal feedlips are not subject to in the same way.

Lol, my bad, poor choice of words(but great choice in adult beverage).

Rather than "age" I should really say "use". Even this is theory, as I can't back it up, having never experienced it. But anything can and will wear out eventually, brass sliding against polymer is bound to eventually take it's toll. But I'd imagine this would take quite some time. I have 2 old Pmags that are on their 3rd springs, feed lips are still fine.

Only time I've seen double feed issues with Pmags, are with the guys who for some damn reason, find it fun to yank the spent mag and hurl it to the ground like it's a radioactive baby Satan.

:dunno:

MarkCO
10-10-2012, 07:00

I will restate the issues on deformation for you then.

1. After a year or more of being fully loaded with 30 rounds, deformation of the feedlips can be measured.

2. With sufficient deformation, double feeds may start to occur in a small percentage of a sample. This will take many years and/or cycles.

3. With significant deformation, a Pmag may eject the entire 30 round load. This likely won't occur just due to being loaded. The creep curves stop at 10 years and become unreliable for longer term loading.

I witnessed #3 when a shooter missed a reload hitting the side of the magwell, the entire column went airborne. He had been using the mag for about 4 years and left it loaded all the time in his patrol rifle. He beleived he had fired about 5K rounds through that magazine. The deformation was clearly visible with the naked eye.

mjkeat
10-10-2012, 09:47
So at first we said PMags will puke after as little as a year of being stored loaded. Now we're saying there may possibly be an ever so slight chance that it could happen after many years. And that's w/ mags loaded to 30 rounds.

Who here actually loads to 30?

I imagine it could happen but what are the chances? We have a handful of guys storing loaded mags w/o issue and one saying it's bad and arguing small little details.

WinterWizard
10-10-2012, 10:14
So at first we said PMags will puke after as little as a year of being stored loaded. Now we're saying there may possibly be an ever so slight chance that it could happen after many years. And that's w/ mags loaded to 30 rounds.

I imagine it could happen but what are the chances? We have a handful of guys storing loaded mags w/o issue and one saying it's bad and arguing small little details.

Exactly. And anyone who keeps the same magazine loaded for 5 years without cycling it with other good magazines during practice, deserves to have a magazine-related malfunction when it comes time to actually use it. That's negligence as far as I am concerned. You don't need a ton of magazines. You just need to rotate them so they all get equal use, not the SAME one being used over and over or the SAME one being loaded for 5-10 years. Common sense. I guess some people don't have common sense, though. :dunno:

SevenSixtyTwo
10-10-2012, 10:18
Only two.

Big Bird
10-10-2012, 10:41
Magazines are expendable wear items. They wear out. ALL of them wear out. Use them, when they break or become suspect you throw them away. That's the way the military does it.

Number your magazines so you can keep track of them if you have problems.

This is not rocket science and if you have never worn out a magazine you haven't been shooting very long.

M&P15T
10-10-2012, 12:56
Seven, 4 Pmags & 3 GIs.

They've been loaded for quite awhile. No issues with lip-spread, other than what Pmags normally do.

Ruggles
10-10-2012, 14:10
30 total or so. 70% 30 rounders, 30% 20 rounders. 60% metal, 40% plastic bodies. I do prefer the metal bodies overall. :)

TactiCool
10-10-2012, 15:39
Don't really know. I'd guess somewhere between 40 and 50. My go to mags have become the Lancer L5 AWM but I have a significant number of USGI and P-Mags as well.

Finally, someone got the memo. :supergrin:

That's all I'm currently buying.

cyphertext
10-10-2012, 16:39

I do. :wavey: All 6 of my mags are P-mags, loaded with 30 rounds. Is there something wrong with that?

Cochese
10-10-2012, 16:43
I do. :wavey: All 6 of my mags are P-mags, loaded with 30 rounds. Is there something wrong with that?

Same. Three 30 round PMags and a 20 round PMag all filled to capacity and deployed with a patrol rifle.

No issues here in the last 6 years.

Mayhem like Me
10-10-2012, 17:02
About 60 AL GI style, 25 Pmags 4 H&K a few troy and Lancers. and three vintage colt 20 rounders...in the light grey color..

Mayhem like Me
10-10-2012, 17:04

No Pmags are one of the few that will fully seat reliably when loaded to capacity. Not all GI magazines will fully seat when tactically loaded on a closed bolt if fully loaded.

Cole125
10-10-2012, 18:19
Anyhow, if you put the cap on top of a fully loaded mag, you'll notice that the cap is hooked on the body of the mag, and the loaded rounds are pushed down, relieving all pressure on the feed lips.

This. With the cap on a P mags you could probably leave them loaded for many many years, if not your life time, and they would still be reliable.

Warp
10-10-2012, 18:23

Most people load to ~28 rounds in an attempt to avoid "seating" the magazine (on a closed bolt) only to have the magazine drop to the ground when they let go of it. Much easier to seat a mag with 28 rounds than 30.

PMAGs, however, are a little better. You can stuff 31 rounds into them if you don't pay attention and count, IME.

I still keep my PMAGs loaded to 28 rounds, anyway. (except the one IN the rifle might start with 30) I seriously doubt I'll ever NEED to reload the AR, but if I do I am okay with "only" getting another 28 rounds if that reduces the risk of the mag hitting the deck.

PAGunner
10-10-2012, 18:58
I'm a relative newb to ARs, but been researching information pertaining to the platform for a while. Nowhere have I read or heard of any issues with PMAGs other than they're the best thing since sliced bread.

Anyone who states PMAGs can deform have any evidence to back up their assertion?

nipperwolf
10-10-2012, 19:10
Only two.

:wow:

WoodenPlank
10-10-2012, 19:36
I'm a relative newb to ARs, but been researching information pertaining to the platform for a while. Nowhere have I read or heard of any issues with PMAGs other than they're the best thing since sliced bread.

Anyone who states PMAGs can deform have any evidence to back up their assertion?

Under abuse, the spines are known to crack - especially when dropped when loaded on a hard surface or crushed. Magpul is reworking the design of the spine on the new M3 PMAG to help address the problem. That said, most of the mags I have seen with cracked spines were still very much functional.

Warp
10-10-2012, 20:08

That seems to pretty much sum it up.

Of course, nothing is perfect

Dalton Wayne
10-10-2012, 20:17
Don't have any AR mags but I have 25 loaded AK mags along with a loaded 75 round drum for my SHTF AK,
however when I had an AR I kept 30 loaded mags on hand...

Ruggles
10-10-2012, 20:57
Don't have any AR mags but I have 25 loaded AK mags along with a loaded 75 round drum for my SHTF AK,

Well that ought to hold you for a while after the SHTF :supergrin:

samurairabbi
10-10-2012, 21:03

Only twenty six ready AK mags? An understrength mechanized brigade could brush you aside with little trouble!

Dalton Wayne
10-10-2012, 21:27
Only twenty six ready AK mags? An understrength mechanized brigade could brush you aside with little trouble!
My SHTF scenario is the govt stops food stamps/welfare and then the bands of food seekers criminals come looking to loot for food or riot, I live in a mixed race neighborhood with lot's of food stamp/welfare lowlifes, I don't plan on going up against the military or govt, so my plan is to bug in......
just trying to be prepared.....:dunno:

sappy13
10-10-2012, 21:41
IV only got 3 30's and a 20. All gi mags. I think I need more, LOL

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk 2

wwcadre
10-11-2012, 09:10
I have about 70 mags. Most of them are GI and the others are Troy

Can never have too many guns, mags, or bullets

elliotb33
10-11-2012, 12:10
31 Pmags

Duke_Shooter
10-11-2012, 12:18
The correct answer is "not enough"

The Duke

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

10-11-2012, 16:28
200 loaded 30-rounders. Yeah, I'm that paranoid.:supergrin:

Glockdude1
10-11-2012, 16:35
24, 30rd Pmags

20 +, metal AR mags, CMMG, Bushy, Okay, etc....

2 Promag AR mags that actually work!!

:cool:

AK_Stick
10-11-2012, 20:49
Get your calipers out, measure a new just out of the wrapper mag, photograph the measurements, load it full, come back in a year and measure, photograph same, then we can talk about it.

The black mag, has been loaded, pretty much since I got it, its my HD mag, with 75 grain 5.56 and its an April 07 mag.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d127/ak_stick/405.jpg

The tan mag, is a newer, just removed from wrapper for this photo June 11 mag.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d127/ak_stick/404.jpg

The black mag, is still full, with 29 rounds in the mag, the 30th being in the chamber of my HD rifle.

:rofl:

JOE MACK
10-11-2012, 22:40
:pumpkin:What's a 20 or 30 round mag? I'm stuck in Kalifornia for the near future. I've got something like 25/10round lancers and 10/10rnd stoners. I've just gotten REALLY good at magazine changes!

Line Rider
10-12-2012, 04:48
Not enough.

michael_b
10-12-2012, 13:16
Ok, not trying to pee in the Cheerios here...

But that's not a dust cover.

It is a cap, designed in response to the theory of "feed lip failure". I say "theory" because I've never personally seen any proof of this in Pmags. Ever. That really doesn't mean squat, but I don't buy it. My "house mags" sit fully loaded, no cap, for ages before cycling into the range bag. Never an issue.

In reality, there's more pressure on the feedlips sitting unloaded without the cap, than fully loaded with the cap on.

Pmag feed lips get damaged from abuse, and from age.

All of which is of course, just my humble little opinion.

:wavey:

Okay, that's how I understood the cover to work. You can actually feel it depress the rounds into the mag as it snaps in place. The guys out near Fort Riley I deal with told me, and seemed to make sense to me, how it works.

Bow Commander
10-12-2012, 17:10
If it weren't for the tragic boating accident that took all my mags and firearms, I'd be up to around 50 mags.

samurairabbi
10-12-2012, 17:25
If it weren't for the tragic boating accident that took all my mags and firearms, I'd be up to around 50 mags.
This website offers numerous nautical support groups that can assuage your grief, help you find closure for your loss, and assist you in rebuilding the quality of your seemingly futile senseless existence.

WoodenPlank
10-12-2012, 19:11
No Pmags are one of the few that will fully seat reliably when loaded to capacity. Not all GI magazines will fully seat when tactically loaded on a closed bolt if fully loaded.

PMAGs and HKs will both lock in just fine with a full 30 and closed bolt. Haven't tried the Troys, and I don't remember if the one Lancer I played with did it.

LL6
10-13-2012, 09:54
6 - 30 rd PMAGs, 3 regular and 3 windowed, but I just bought my AR on 10-10 so give me a little time.

jakebrake
10-13-2012, 10:01
none. lost all ten of them along with my guns in a freak boat accident:whistling:

Darkangel1846
10-13-2012, 12:48
Curious how many 30 round AR-15 magazines you guys own?

I'm looking to up mine a little before I start putting together a 2nd AR-15 (will probably be a little more patient this time, since I've already got one now. :supergrin:) Curious how many you guys have? I currently have 10, but would like to stock up on a little more before I start spending my play money on other things.

a **** load + 2 drums:rofl:

Darkangel1846
10-13-2012, 12:49
none. lost all ten of them along with my guns in a freak boat accident:whistling:

Why were you riding in a freak boat, were you stoned?:rofl:

RetailNinja
10-22-2012, 20:38
8 30rd Pmags
4 HK mags
2 20rd Pmags
4 20rd Colt mags (range play)

Currently buying izzy FAL mags...

LL6
10-22-2012, 21:28
6 - 30 rd PMAGs, 3 regular and 3 windowed, but I just bought my AR on 10-10 so give me a little time.
Bought 4 more windowed PMAGS for a total of 10. Nuff for now.:cool:

AK_Stick
10-22-2012, 21:36
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d127/ak_stick/006.jpg

I've got a couple.

mjkeat
10-22-2012, 21:57
Gen 2 MOE PMags shipping w/o caps as soon as the current production PMags (Gen 2 MOE) run out.

Warp
10-22-2012, 21:59
Gen 2 MOE PMags shipping w/o caps as soon as the current production PMags (Gen 2 MOE) run out.

You must have a typo in there

mjkeat
10-22-2012, 22:02
You must have a typo in there

Let me check. I came across the info this morning while sitting in class. I know the current mag will not be shipped w/ caps once the Gen 3s come out.

Edit:
Magpul is proud to announce the release of the GEN M3 PMAG and new pricing for the existing PMAG, which will continue to be produced as part of the MOE line.

The existing PMAG will now be priced at an MSRP of $12.95 and an MSRP of $15.95 for the Window version, and will now be known as the PMAG 30 AR/M4 GEN M2 MOE. Once existing supplies of the GEN M2 PMAGs are exhausted, they will begin shipping in MOE packaging, and will not include dust covers. All colors will continue ...to be available.

The PMAG 30 AR/M4 GEN M3 will begin shipping in black only on 1 Nov, 2012, at an MSRP of $14.95. The Window version will be available soon, at an MSRP of $17.95.

Stay tuned for additional content and of course…us giving away PMAGs.

Learn more here: http://magpul.com/index.php?id=154 (http://magpul.com/index.php?id=154)

The GEN M3 PMAG is from the PMAG lineage that you already know, but refined and battle-hardened by over 5 years of combat experience. The list of improvements is long, but you can learn more about the GEN M3 development and improvements at:

http://www.magpul.com/pmagm3 (http://www.magpul.com/pmagm3)

Warp
10-22-2012, 22:03
Let me check. I came across the info this morning while sitting in class. I know the current mag will not be shipped w/ caps once the Gen 3s come out.

You basically said gen 2 will ship when gen 2 runs out.

I think the first 2 is supposed to be a 3 maybe?

AK_Stick
10-22-2012, 22:05
I'm pretty sure the only change is that the new production Gen 2 mags, will no longer feature the dust cover.

And they'll begin shipping when the current stock of dust cover equipped mags runs out.

Atleast that was what I got from the Gen 2 portion of the e-mail I got.

Warp
10-22-2012, 22:07
I'm pretty sure the only change is that the new production Gen 2 mags, will no longer feature the dust cover.

And they'll begin shipping when the current stock of dust cover equipped mags runs out.

Atleast that was what I got from the Gen 2 portion of the e-mail I got.

So nothing about Gen 3? Think they might make it to regular retail channels before 2013?

I haven't looked recently.

AK_Stick
10-22-2012, 22:07
oh, there was a blurb about the new Gen 3, I didn't really pay much attention to it though. IIRC its supposedly close to shipping, but don't recall a date.

I was just addressing the Gen-2 bit.

mjkeat
10-22-2012, 22:09
You basically said gen 2 will ship when gen 2 runs out.

I think the first 2 is supposed to be a 3 maybe?

No I said when the current Gen 2s are gone they will start to ship as Gen 2 MOEs w/o caps (dust covers). Same thing just repackaged/renamed and w/o dust cover.

NOv. black only

Read my edit above. Copy and pasted from Magpul

Gunnut 45/454
10-22-2012, 22:13
Got to thinking today- added 3 30 rounders to the fold. I figured I should have enough mags to do a combat load out atleast. Now I do. Two Okays. one Adventure line- put Magpol grays in them -gtg.:supergrin:

F350
10-22-2012, 23:51
Well back in my "single again" days (1980s) through a dealer that was shutting down I got a sweet deal on 500 GIs. Sold 150 during the Klinton ban for a nice profit, keeping the rest (still in aluminumized oxygen displacing paper in sealed plastic bags) for barter just in case.

Glock 1
10-24-2012, 06:21
I only have 4. 2 pmags and 2 Colt GI style that came with my Colt. I ordered 20 pmags today though since they are on sale from my distributor.

I just pulled a full pmag out of my safe and with the cap on you can hear the top rounds rattling. That tells me no pressure on the feed lips so I am not too sure the feed lips will be an issue long term and where the cap grabs the mag is not likely to stretch the mag. it might deform the cap over time but I would bet that won't happen either. I still plan to keep them loaded with the caps on.

RMTactical
10-24-2012, 18:21
About 60ish by my last count. Mostly USGI and PMAG's, but a few different types here and there. Only buying PMAG's currently.

Glockdude1
10-25-2012, 05:17
Well back in my "single again" days (1980s) through a dealer that was shutting down I got a sweet deal on 500 GIs. Sold 150 during the Klinton ban for a nice profit, keeping the rest (still in aluminumized oxygen displacing paper in sealed plastic bags) for barter just in case.

Aluminumized oxygen displacing paper???

Learn something new every day. :cool:

Fwdftw
10-25-2012, 08:01
i dont any magazines for an ar15. Those guns are big, black, and scary.

JDennis
10-25-2012, 08:07
I have a dozen pmags and 10 HK mags. I have never had any issues with my pmags, but the HK by far are my favorite. Kinda heavy, but super sturdy and the smoothest I have ever dealt with

SNH Glocks
10-25-2012, 18:39

Yes, they are evil bullet hoses. Send them all to me for proper disposal.

SevenSixtyTwo
10-25-2012, 19:19

I saw a white one one time. A little shorter and not quite as scary.

Glockdude1
10-26-2012, 04:51
I saw a white one one time. A little shorter and not quite as scary.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-qeDlZ4d9Toc/TqMPHQSTPkI/AAAAAAAAAv0/TAyilbFOQmQ/s1600/Imgp0835.jpg

I like the White AR-15's too.

:cool:

frankmako
10-26-2012, 04:56
7 to 10 per ar is the rate i use. same with my ak's.

Arc Angel
10-26-2012, 05:11
Eight (8).

If I need more, I'll use yours. ;)

Hedo1
10-26-2012, 05:43
I have way too many ... But that's still not quite enough.

I agree with that!

I have 3 AR's. Have about 100 mags.

I rotate about 1 dozen all the time (P Mags). The rest are in storage. I keep at least a dozen loaded all the time in my go bag.