Defense Department Brushes Off Absentee Ballot Issue [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Defense Department Brushes Off Absentee Ballot Issue

DOC44
10-09-2012, 14:28
Defense Department Brushes Off Absentee Ballot Issue

Reports that a majority of the nation’s overseas soldiers and sailors won’t be able to cast votes in this election because the Department of Defense hasn’t made the effort to implement an effective absentee ballot process were brushed off by DOD brass.

Secretary Leon Panetta said he “regrets that some of our valiant warriors will be disenfranchised,” but attributed the problem to “the need to set priorities.”

“Among the lengthy enumeration of ‘things to do’ that are on
my plate, ensuring that the troops get to vote is pretty far down the list,” Panetta said. “I have to meet with the President on a weekly basis to decide who we’ll be targeting for elimination. I have to argue with Secretary Napolitano over who gets first dibs on ammo. I have to ensure that our troops are trained to respect Muslim religious sensitivities. I have to work out our troop withdrawal schedule. So, you see I have more to do than I have time to do it in.”

Panetta argued that “losing the chance to vote is a sacrifice that I think most of our forces find more tolerable than losing an arm or leg to an IED. Realistically, the chance that anyone’s vote will be decisive is infinitesimal. So, I don’t think we should get bent out of shape over our inability to muster the resources needed to put a ballot in the hand of every deployed trooper.”

and several other interesting articles at link

http://azconservative.org/2012/10/06/dems-scramble-to-explain-obama-debate-defeat/

Doc44

Skyhook
10-09-2012, 14:57
"Secretary Leon Panetta said he “regrets that some of our valiant warriors will be disenfranchised,” but attributed the problem to “the need to set priorities.”

Forgive me if I think Panetta, for one, should reexamine his priorities. Seems like reelecting Obama may be one of his.:steamed:

countrygun
10-09-2012, 15:00
I am slightly confused. It shouldn't be that hard for the folks serving this Country to vote unlees there were unexpected circumstances.

So what didn't Paneta expect?

The election

or

troops being overseas

Which part slipped his mind?

QNman
10-09-2012, 15:03
I am slightly confused. It shouldn't be that hard for the folks serving this Country to vote unlees there were unexpected circumstances.

So what didn't Paneta expect?

The election

or

troops being overseas

Which part slipped his mind?

He didn't expect it to be such a close race.

aircarver
10-09-2012, 15:09
That SOB needs his priorities re-ordered ..... :steamed:

Kablam
10-09-2012, 15:09
He's another political hack lib POS. Think he's ever heard of delegating? We always had somebody (usually one of the chiefs or other LPO) on the boat to help make sure everybody that wanted to, got the stuff to vote. The A-holes in charge now are so disappointing in all respects.

LASTRESORT20
10-09-2012, 15:22
Panetta.....Just another Lemming interested in "pleasing" `reelecting` the chosen one `for the approving node`.....Nothing to do with (Country)....Its about the election no matter how they try to sugar coat it......discusting....When Romney wins I hope many of these "types" will be looked at very closely for their past actions and appropriate measures taken.

cowboywannabe
10-09-2012, 15:32
panetta is a liberal appointee, nothing more.

janice6
10-09-2012, 15:37
What the heck is our military doing overseas if not trying to secure the right to vote along with the other liberties for this country. Leon should get HIS priorities straight. These men and women are fighting for our security, we should do the same for them.

Get it straight Leon, Obama's election comes after the military votes get counted.

Kablam
10-09-2012, 15:38
He had plenty of time to make sure that poor discriminated group of military homosexuals gets to be married...after all that's what was really wrong in this country. Voting...meh...hasn't got time for that. And as he sadi, it doesn't matter if the service people get to vote or not. Won't make a difference. What a putz.

stevelyn
10-09-2012, 16:00
Is anyone really surprised? Panetta is a PoS that should have been flushed in Jan. 2001 with the rest of the Klintoon turds. Why W kept an enemy inside the administration will forever be a mystery to me.

GAFinch
10-09-2012, 16:43
70% drop in absentee ballots from the 2008 election. Even if the Pentagon didn't adopt the new program and just continued doing the same thing they did back in 2008, there wouldn't be this big of a drop. Something deliberate has to be going on.

jdavionic
10-09-2012, 17:05
Just terrible. Who cares who they support! Men & women serving our nation deserve to vote. Absolutely shameful.

Jay9928
10-09-2012, 17:05
70% drop in absentee ballots from the 2008 election. Even if the Pentagon didn't adopt the new program and just continued doing the same thing they did back in 2008, there wouldn't be this big of a drop. Something deliberate has to be going on.

I can guarantee you I will physically be going to the polls right up the street, I think absentee ballots are worthless. :cool:

AF-Odin
10-09-2012, 18:02
Yep, typical treatment of military voters. back during the first Clinton election, my military absentee ballot was "returned" AFTER the election as "undeliverable" and just talked to my son who is currently active duty and he DID receive his absentee ballot for the upcoming election, but it was missing the entire page of FEDERAL elections. HMMMM, any wonder when Army Times shows military support for Romney vs Obama at 2 to 1.

happyguy
10-09-2012, 21:15
Defense Department Brushes Off Absentee Ballot Issue

and several other interesting articles at link

http://azconservative.org/2012/10/06/dems-scramble-to-explain-obama-debate-defeat/

Doc44

Sounds to me like Panetta isn't up to the job.

Regards,
Happyguy :)

DOC44
10-09-2012, 21:22
Sounds to me like Panetta isn't up to the job.

Regards,
Happyguy :)

I'm sure obama thinks Panetta is doing just fine.

Doc44

10-09-2012, 21:26
Why aren't the Dems beating the drums of disenfranchised voters? Isn't this a perfect example?

countrygun
10-09-2012, 21:59
Why aren't the Dems beating the drums of disenfranchised voters? Isn't this a perfect example?

Funny thing too. The Dems are generally trumpeting how the minorities are disproportionally represented in the military. You would think that especially with a number of minorities being disenfranchised they would really be up in arms.

Unless they read the polls of likely military voters.

:whistling:

snerd
10-09-2012, 22:11
Until Congress starts issuing subpoenas and incarcerating individuals up and down the chain of command, not a damn thing will be done. This administration has egged them on with scores of unconstitutional acts, edicts and outright lies. Seems whatever they stumbled upon, it works a treat.

Guss
10-09-2012, 22:34
Is the military postal system that bad now that people can't get their ballots?

automatic slim
10-10-2012, 09:44
So, let me get this straight.....

In Paneta's own words, he is not competent to do his job.

Am I wrong?:dunno:

countrygun
10-10-2012, 10:23
So, let me get this straight.....

In Paneta's own words, he is not competent to do his job.

Am I wrong?:dunno:

I think that is a fair assessment of his statement

Gundude
10-10-2012, 11:05
Until Congress starts issuing subpoenas and incarcerating individuals up and down the chain of command, not a damn thing will be done. This administration has egged them on with scores of unconstitutional acts, edicts and outright lies. Seems whatever they stumbled upon, it works a treat.
They didn't stumble upon it. It took a century of foundation-building to get it to this point.

countrygun
10-11-2012, 00:42
To recap.

Last election there was quite a stink about the same issue, if you can remember.

The Administration knew there were troops overseas for almost four years

They have know that there was going to be an election for almost four years.

They didn't do a thing to fix the problem.

Can there be a better symbol of the ineptness of this Administration?

kirgi08
10-11-2012, 00:52
They aim ta please CG.'08. :burn: