185gr fp Berry's plated question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 185gr fp Berry's plated question

CAH21SF
10-09-2012, 20:03
I'm going to reloaded my first 10 for testers of Berry's plated 185 gr flat point bullets. I'm reloading for the purpose of plinking. So I want the least amount of powder to cycle the gun properly. Berry's says to reload to the specs of simular shape and weight bullets. I haven' found any info on 185gr FP bullets. I have have found info on JSWC 185r and for the powered I'm using its says minimum charge 4.5gr of powder and COL of 1.135.

What is your opinion on using this the JSWC info for a FP?

Thanks
Chris

shotgunred
10-09-2012, 21:23
I assume you are asking for 45 info?

fredj338
10-09-2012, 22:02
Not sure why you want to load the "least amount of powder", but use starting data for a JHP w/ the longest OAL that runs in your gun. You will not likely get 100% functioning w/ stock springs, but can work the load up to 100% reliability.
The reason I am not a big fan of bunnyfart loads was brought home at an IDPA match Sat. GUy loading Solo & 147gr bullets, bullet barely coming out of the barrel & he got a squib. He wasn't sure & was doing a tap/rack when, as an SO, I stopped him. Bullet was lodged in the bbl. Then it happened again during his reshoot. Puts some powder in it so you know it goes bang.:upeyes:

SARDG
10-09-2012, 22:28
...The reason I am not a big fan of bunnyfart loads was brought home at an IDPA match Sat. GUy loading Solo & 147gr bullets, bullet barely coming out of the barrel & he got a squib. He wasn't sure & was doing a tap/rack when, as an SO, I stopped him. Bullet was lodged in the bbl. Then it happened again during his reshoot. Puts some powder in it so you know it goes bang.:upeyes:
You know that's all I shoot Fred. No problems with 147 reliability in a round that's making PF. Your guy probably wasn't, I imagine... :dunno:

CAH21SF
10-10-2012, 08:01
[QUOTE=fredj338;19502523]Not sure why you want to load the "least amount of powder", but use starting data for a JHP w/ the longest OAL that runs in your gun. You will not likely get 100% functioning w/ stock springs, but can work the load up to 100% reliability.

I haven't had any problems with light loads, only loads with no powder. Which to me are quite obvious.

Oh forgot that important bit of info....yes loading .45.

I like your point on starting with the longest OAL. Am I correct saying the purpose in running the longest OAL that fits. Is to reduce excessive chamber pressures and issues of that nature.
Thanks

fredj338
10-10-2012, 09:21
You know that's all I shoot Fred. No problems with 147 reliability in a round that's making PF. Your guy probably wasn't, I imagine... :dunno:

Oh I know it's what most of the gamers are shooting. My point was when you get to where recoil & blast are so low, it may be diff to determine if you had a squib. In this case, he was very lucky.:shocked:

fredj338
10-10-2012, 09:23
[QUOTE=fredj338;19502523]
I like your point on starting with the longest OAL. Am I correct saying the purpose in running the longest OAL that fits. Is to reduce excessive chamber pressures and issues of that nature.
Thanks

Correct, think of it as insurance, belt & suspenders. Many times, a longer round will also feed better. Keep in mind it must fit the chamber & magazine. So start w/ the chamber, then double check they fit all the way down the mag.