Installing a Magpul Enhanced Trigger Guard on a LMT Defender lower [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Installing a Magpul Enhanced Trigger Guard on a LMT Defender lower

Jimmy45Mak
10-09-2012, 22:45
I've picked up an Enhanced Trigger Guard for my LMT CQB 16 as I live in the Great White North and winter is fast approaching so gloves are a must. Now, I understand the process for installation from the YouTubes and it is real straight forward. I was cautioned, however, that the rear pin can be removed in only one direction and not all manufacturers do it the same way. Has anyone replaced a trigger guard on a Defender 2000 lower and remember which way it goes? I don't want to break the "wings" or whatever it is they're called. Thanks in advance.

WoodenPlank
10-09-2012, 22:54
First time I've heard of a roll pin needing to go in or out in a specific direction.

Jimmy45Mak
10-09-2012, 23:03
I'm on my iPad so I can't get the URL but it was the vid by ethron1. If he's full of it, great. One less thing to worry about....

WoodenPlank
10-09-2012, 23:04
I'm on my iPad so I can't get the URL but it was the vid by ethron1. If he's full of it, great. One less thing to worry about....

Despite having done Magpul trigger guards on two lowers, I always had it installed by my preferred armorer, and didn't do it myself. I could be mistaken about the pin...

faawrenchbndr
10-10-2012, 01:54
Front sight base pins are the only pins that MAY need to be driven a particular direction. Some manufacturers use a tapered pin.

Be careful & support the tabs for the trigger guard, they can be
broken from the receiver if not supported when driving the pin out.

fuzzy03cls
10-10-2012, 08:07
I put one on my LMT lower. I always start the pins on the safety side. No matter what lower I am working with. Just by choice for me no technical reason.
I didn't run into any issues.

Jimmy45Mak
10-10-2012, 08:17
Thanks, Fuzzy. Exactly what I needed: words from someone who has done it. Thanks Plank and faawjcnfufndj (or something like that!) for responses too.

Nutt51
10-10-2012, 09:32
As stated above, put something solid on the underside of the
trigger guard area when taking out or driving in pins, the
wings can be broken off with too much force applied.
Also, take your time and make sure the pins are started in
straight, with a few taps to get them started, then you can drive them in with a punch.
I finally got tired of trying to hold onto pins with needle nose pliers and getting them started, so I bought a set of pin
starter punches.
Lot's of folks build their own lowers or add parts. Just take
your time, follow directions, and use the right tools, it's not
rocket science, just don't get in a hurry or frustrated.
Good luck.

m2hmghb
10-10-2012, 10:20
You might want to take a drill bit the same size as the roll pin and clean up one side of the ears. It makes it easier to start it and lessens the chance of damaging things. Notice I said the same diameter, you don't want to remove a lot of material, just clean it up a bit basically.

mvician
10-10-2012, 17:47
A little customization....beats the roll pin :supergrin:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f240/mvician/Spikes%20and%20Palmetto%20State%20Armory/P1160795.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f240/mvician/Spikes%20and%20Palmetto%20State%20Armory/P1160794.jpg

Travclem
10-10-2012, 18:04
My LMT was just a standard trigger guard roll pin when I did it.