Westgate Resorts CEO to Employees:Obama elected means you may lose your job [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Westgate Resorts CEO to Employees:Obama elected means you may lose your job

Goaltender66
10-10-2012, 08:12
http://www.cnbc.com/id/49356069

Subject: Message from David Siegel

Date:Mon, 08 Oct 2012 13:58:05 -0400 (EDT)

To: [All employees]

To All My Valued Employees,

As most of you know our company, Westgate Resorts, has continued to succeed in spite of a very dismal economy. There is no question that the economy has changed for the worse and we have not seen any improvement over the past four years. In spite of all of the challenges we have faced, the good news is this: The economy doesn't currently pose a threat to your job. What does threaten your job however, is another 4 years of the same Presidential administration. Of course, as your employer, I can't tell you whom to vote for, and I certainly wouldn't interfere with your right to vote for whomever you choose. In fact, I encourage you to vote for whomever you think will serve your interests the best.

However, let me share a few facts that might help you decide what is in your best interest.The current administration and members of the press have perpetuated an environment that casts employers against employees. They want you to believe that we live in a class system where the rich get richer, the poor get poorer. They label us the "1%" and imply that we are somehow immune to the challenges that face our country. This could not be further from the truth. Sure, you may have heard about the big home that I'm building. I'm sure many people think that I live a privileged life. However, what you don't see or hear is the true story behind any success that I have achieved.

I started this company over 42 years ago. At that time, I lived in a very modest home. I converted my garage into an office so I could put forth 100% effort into building a company, which by the way, would eventually employ you. We didn't eat in fancy restaurants or take expensive vacations because every dollar I made went back into this company. I drove an old used car, and often times, I stayed home on weekends, while my friends went out drinking and partying. In fact, I was married to my business hard work, discipline, and sacrifice. Meanwhile, many of my friends got regular jobs. They worked 40 hours a week and made a nice income, and they spent every dime they earned. They drove flashy cars and lived in expensive homes and wore fancy designer clothes. My friends refinanced their mortgages and lived a life of luxury. I, however, did not. I put my time, my money, and my life into this business -with a vision that eventually, some day, I too, will be able to afford to buy whatever I wanted. Even to this day, every dime I earn goes back into this company. Over the past four years I have had to stop building my dream house, cut back on all of my expenses, and take my kids out of private schools simply to keep this company strong and to keep you employed.

Just think about this most of you arrive at work in the morning and leave that afternoon and the rest of your time is yours to do as you please. But not me- there is no "off" button for me. When you leave the office, you are done and you have a weekend all to yourself. I unfortunately do not have that freedom. I eat, live, and breathe this company every minute of the day, every day of the week. There is no rest. There is no weekend. There is no happy hour. I know many of you work hard and do a great job, but I'm the one who has to sign every check, pay every expense, and make sure that this company continues to succeed. Unfortunately, what most people see is the nice house and the lavish lifestyle. What the press certainly does not want you to see, is the true story of the hard work and sacrifices I've made.

Now, the economy is falling apart and people like me who made all the right decisions and invested in themselves are being forced to bail out all the people who didn't. The people that overspent their paychecks suddenly feel entitled to the same luxuries that I earned and sacrificed 42 years of my life for. Yes, business ownership has its benefits, but the price I've paid is steep and not without wounds. Unfortunately, the costs of running a business have gotten out of control, and let me tell you why: We are being taxed to death and the government thinks we don't pay enough. We pay state taxes, federal taxes, property taxes, sales and use taxes, payroll taxes, workers compensation taxes and unemployment taxes. I even have to hire an entire department to manage all these taxes. The question I have is this: Who is really stimulating the economy? Is it the Government that wants to take money from those who have earned it and give it to those who have not, or is it people like me who built a company out of his garage and directly employs over 7000 people and hosts over 3 million people per year with a great vacation?

Obviously, our present government believes that taking my money is the right economic stimulus for this country. The fact is, if I deducted 50 percent of your paycheck you'd quit and you wouldn't work here. I mean, why should you? Who wants to get rewarded only 50 percent of their hard work? Well, that's what happens to me.

Here is what most people don't understand and the press and our Government has chosen to ignore to stimulate the economy you need to stimulate what runs the economy. Instead of raising my taxes and depositing that money into the Washington black-hole, let me spend it on growing the company, hire more employees, and generate substantial economic growth. My employees will enjoy the wealth of that tax cut in the form of promotions and better salaries. But that is not what our current Government wants you to believe. They want you to believe that it somehow makes sense to take more from those who create wealth and give it to those who do not, and somehow our economy will improve. They don't want you to know that the "1%", as they like to label us, pay more than 31% of all the taxes in this country. Thomas Jefferson, the author of our great Constitution, once said, "democracy" will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

Business is at the heart of America and always has been. To restart it, you must stimulate business, not kill it. However, the power brokers in Washington believe redistributing wealth is the essential driver of the American economic engine. Nothing could be further from the truth and this is the type of change they want.

So where am I going with all this? It's quite simple. If any new taxes are levied on me, or my company, as our current President plans, I will have no choice but to reduce the size of this company. Rather than grow this company I will be forced to cut back. This means fewer jobs, less benefits and certainly less opportunity for everyone.

So, when you make your decision to vote, ask yourself, which candidate understands the economics of business ownership and who doesn't? Whose policies will endanger your job? Answer those questions and you should know who might be the one capable of protecting and saving your job. While the media wants to tell you to believe the "1 percenters" are bad, I'm telling you they are not. They create most of the jobs. If you lose your job, it won't be at the hands of the "1%"; it will be at the hands of a political hurricane that swept through this country.

You see, I can no longer support a system that penalizes the productive and gives to the unproductive. My motivation to work and to provide jobs will be destroyed, and with it, so will your opportunities. If that happens, you can find me in the Caribbean sitting on the beach, under a palm tree, retired, and with no employees to worry about.

Signed, your boss,

David Siegel

JFrame
10-10-2012, 08:24
Awesome -- a letter that tells people to stop thinking in terms of marshmallow trees, and simply face the reality of how things actually work...

Thanks for posting!

aircarver
10-10-2012, 08:28
Awesome -- a letter that tells people to stop thinking in terms of marshmallow trees, and simply face the reality of how things actually work...

Thanks for posting!

That's life folks.

People don't have to work hard, take risks and losses, all to have their profit confiscated and redistributed to the lazy.

They can go sit under a palm tree and contemplate their navel ...

callihan_44
10-10-2012, 08:36
hits the nail on the head! morons that complain what someone else makes need to look in the mirror :steamed: they dont realize the sacrifice that comes with running a business. I dont know any business owners that started out rich, most scraped and saved, took out second mortgages to buy equipment and work around the clock to build what they have.

nursetim
10-10-2012, 08:37
This smells like one of those chain emails. I like and appreciate the message though. It sounded like John Gault was writing it.

JFrame
10-10-2012, 08:39
This smells like one of those chain emails. I like and appreciate the message though. It sounded like John Gault was writing it.

Not that reporting services are infallible (we know THAT'S not true), but I doubt that CNBC would be reporting this story, posting a pic and bio of David Siegel, and printing the letter in its entirety, if it wasn't for real.

DonGlock26
10-10-2012, 08:42
If Obama wins, many people will be cut to part time hours to avoid Obamacare. This is Obama's plan. Then, congress will have to do something like nationalize health care.

Goaltender66
10-10-2012, 08:43

It's verified by CNBC (the link) which interviewed Siegel about the letter as part of its story. I agree it does read a little like Snopes-bait, but in this case it's genuine.

FFR Spyder GT
10-10-2012, 09:35
The letter is kinda funny because due to David Siegel's hard work and efforts they run into financial problems and had to sell controlling interest to Resort Finance America.

Glock30Eric
10-10-2012, 09:45
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2012-10-10/ceo-letter-heard-around-world-vote-obama-lose-your-job

Glock30Eric
10-10-2012, 09:51
http://filmmakermagazine.com/directorinterviews/uploaded_images/Siegel-723934.jpg

That's David Siegel.

Kablam
10-10-2012, 09:54
Interesting that the author of the zerohedge article chose to use the words " threatened to fire some employees if Barack Obama is reelected" when his letter actually is just stating a premise...you know...cause and effect.

And why is his picture important to the discussion?

Goaltender66
10-10-2012, 10:18
http://filmmakermagazine.com/directorinterviews/uploaded_images/Siegel-723934.jpg

That's David Siegel.

Wrong David Siegel. :)

http://westgateresorts.com/about/executive-team/david-siegel/

http://media.cnbc.com/i/CNBC/Sections/News_And_Analysis/__Story_Inserts/graphics/__PEOPLE/S/david-siegal-200.jpg

Goaltender66
10-10-2012, 10:25
The letter is kinda funny because due to David Siegel's hard work and efforts they run into financial problems and had to sell controlling interest to Resort Finance America.

It's kinda funny that you either are trying to be misleading or you genuinely don't know what you're talking about.

I mean..."they?" That is pretty vague.

Here's the real story:

Westgate Resorts opened a property in Las Vegas called PH Towers Westgate at Planet Hollywood back in 2009. Alas, the Obamaconomy didn't do all that well for RE developers, as banks became reluctant to finance the purchase of timeshares, at PH Towers and at other resorts. So Siegel, doing the responsible thing instead of crying to the US Government for a bailout, found a buyer for the property and sold it to RFA for rebranding under the Hilton aegis.

You're taking something about a single property and trying to cast it as something entirely different. While people call that "dishonest" I'm a little more charitable and will call it evidence of ignorance on your part. RFA does not have controlling interest in Westgate Resorts or Central Florida Investments.

:upeyes:

countrygun
10-10-2012, 10:26
Wrong David Siegel. :)

http://westgateresorts.com/about/executive-team/david-siegel/

http://media.cnbc.com/i/CNBC/Sections/News_And_Analysis/__Story_Inserts/graphics/__PEOPLE/S/david-siegal-200.jpg

Bwahahahahaha

thanks for playing Eric, maybe next time:supergrin:

nursetim
10-10-2012, 10:33

That's David Siegel.

Ida's about to say, " what? Did he start the company enutero?" Until I saw the connection. I like the term snopes bait. :animlol:

Glock30Eric
10-10-2012, 10:38
Bwahahahahaha

thanks for playing Eric, maybe next time:supergrin:

Bummmer! ;) At least I got the name right.

Sometime a picture could tell a lot about a person. I find this interesting, they have make a movie about their life with the business.

snerd
10-10-2012, 10:49
...... Sometime a picture could tell a lot about a person....
So what's this one telling you?

http://images.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/Homer-Brain-X-Ray-the-simpsons-60337_1024_768.jpg

kirgi08
10-10-2012, 11:05
:fishing:

Glock30Eric
10-10-2012, 11:11
So what's this one telling you?

http://images.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/Homer-Brain-X-Ray-the-simpsons-60337_1024_768.jpg

He's smart at least he could use his brian 100%. ;)

The link to the picture is bad, when I click to reply and I could see the picture in the full size. That's strange.

Snowman92D
10-10-2012, 11:12
But...but...David Siegel didn't build that business! :whistling:

JFrame
10-10-2012, 11:14
But...but...David Siegel didn't build that business! :whistling:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Dalton Wayne
10-10-2012, 11:14
If Obama wins, many people will be cut to part time hours to avoid Obamacare. This is Obama's plan. Then, congress will have to do something like nationalize health care.
Red lobster has already announced that all full time employes will be reduced to part time to avoid Obamacare,
heard it on the news talk radio I listen to yesterday :steamed:

http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20121010/NEWS0102/121019890

JFrame
10-10-2012, 11:29
Red lobster has already announced that all full time employes will be reduced to part time to avoid Obamacare,
heard it on the news talk radio I listen to yesterday :steamed:

http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20121010/NEWS0102/121019890

The law of unintended consequences -- a principle that leftists in particular have a talent for invoking...

Kablam
10-10-2012, 11:43
Progressives will never come to the realization that government can NOT control the economy or make the economy do what THEY think is fair. Look at the results in the USSR and much of western europe. In the US, look at the horrendous results of big government intrusion into economics. FDR's New Deal, LBJ's Great Society, Carter's community re-investment act, to a lesser extent Bush's medicare drug deal and TARP, and of course the debacle resulting from the Obama regime's continuously screwing with trying to force "fairness" into the economy. The evidence is overwhelming. Just because one chooses to ignore history and empirical evidence, does not change said history.

countrygun
10-10-2012, 12:42
The law of unintended consequences -- a principle that leftists in particular have a talent for invoking...

Good point

Heck they haven't even been able to master the concept of "Foreseeable Results" yet

JFrame
10-10-2012, 12:42
Good point

Heck they haven't even been able to master the concept of "Foreseeable Results" yet

:rofl::rofl:

True dat... :beer:

FFR Spyder GT
10-10-2012, 13:02
It's kinda funny that you either are trying to be misleading or you genuinely don't know what you're talking about.

I mean..."they?" That is pretty vague.

Here's the real story:

Westgate Resorts opened a property in Las Vegas called PH Towers Westgate at Planet Hollywood back in 2009. Alas, the Bushaconomy didn't do all that well for RE developers, as banks became reluctant to finance the purchase of timeshares, at PH Towers and at other resorts. So Siegel, doing the responsible thing instead of crying to the US Government for a bailout, found a buyer for the property and sold it to RFA for rebranding under the Hilton aegis.

You're taking something about a single property and trying to cast it as something entirely different. While people call that "dishonest" I'm a little more charitable and will call it evidence of ignorance on your part. RFA does not have controlling interest in Westgate Resorts or Central Florida Investments.

:upeyes:

My bad, it was a single property not Westgate Resorts or Central Florida Investments.

I do not have a problem admitting when I get my facts wrong.

Oh, I also corrected a mistake in your facts too.

Only a fool or an idiot would fall for a timeshare scheme/scam.

ModGlock17
10-10-2012, 13:14

It's tougher to admit wrong judgment.

Goaltender66
10-10-2012, 13:15
My bad, it was a single property not Westgate Resorts or Central Florida Investments.

Oh, I also corrected a mistake in your facts too.

Only a fool or an idiot would fall for a timeshare scheme/scam.

Well, a lot of people would check their facts before they spout off, but then you aren't a lot of people.

Oh, and you're *still* stuck on "blame Bush" even though the sale happened in November 2011? :rofl:

janice6
10-10-2012, 13:48
I can't believe that all the decision making in Government is by idiots. Assuming some of these people are smart, then the logical conclusion is the adverse results of their decision making is actually producing the intended results.

This is even more reprehensible.

Guss
10-10-2012, 14:08
So he's announced that he's a loser in the competitive race. Another resort will take its place.

Kablam
10-10-2012, 16:32
So he's announced that he's a loser in the competitive race. Another resort will take its place.

Good job. Now press that forward and apply your newly found reasoning to General Motors, Solyndra, Chrysler, Abound Solar, SunPower, AGI, there are more. If you reach even more, you may understand the problem some have with Dodd-Frank and too big to fail.

nursetim
10-10-2012, 16:39
Well, a lot of people would check their facts before they spout off, but then you aren't a lot of people.

Oh, and you're *still* stuck on "blame Bush" even though the sale happened in November 2011? :rofl:

I'm not one of them that check their facts before post either. So ffr spyder, I don't agree with you on anything, but I'm with you boy.