Yes, Mr. Citizen, it's me the cop! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Yes, Mr. Citizen, it's me the cop!

Southswede
10-10-2012, 10:48
Well, Mr. Citizen, it seems you've figured me out. I fit neatly into the category where you've placed me.

I'm stereotyped, standardized, characterized, classified, grouped, and always typical. Unfortunately, the reverse is true. I can never figure you out.

From birth, you teach your children that I'm the boogeyman, then you're shocked when they identify/associate with my traditional enemy... the criminal! You accuse me of coddling criminals...until I catch your kids doing wrong.

You may take an hour for lunch and several coffee breaks each day, but point me out as a loafer for having one cup between calls. You pride yourself on your manners, but think nothing of disrupting my meals with your troubles.

You raise Cain, and sometimes resort to violence, with the guy who cuts you off in traffic, but let me catch you doing the same thing and I'm picking on you. You know all the traffic laws...but somehow you've never gotten a single ticket you deserve.

You shout "FOUL" if you observe me driving fast to a call, but raise the roof if I take more than ten seconds to respond to your complaint.

You call it part of my job if someone strikes me, but call it police brutality if I strike back. You wouldn't think of telling your dentist how to pull a tooth or your doctor how to take out an appendix, yet you are always willing to give me pointers on the law.

You talk to me in a manner that would get you a bloody nose from anyone else, but expect me to take it without batting an eye.

You yell that something's got to be done to fight crime, but you can't be bothered to get involved. You say you have no use for me at all, but of course it's OK if I change a flat for your wife, deliver your child in the back of the patrol car, or perhaps save your son's life with mouth to mouth breathing, or work many hours overtime looking for your lost daughter.

So Mr. Citizen, you can stand there on your soapbox and rant and rave about the way I do my work, calling me every name in the book, but never stop to think that your property, family, or maybe even your life depends on me or one of my buddies.

Yes, Mr. Citizen, it's me the cop!

puckhead
10-10-2012, 10:56
Great post!

wprebeck
10-10-2012, 10:58
Can I get an amen, brother?

Its the reasons above, and many more, that have made me decide to leave the field. Unfortunately for me, I'm too far in to quit and have to suck it up for 7.5 more years. Still trying like hell to get the Powerball winning numbers though.

Ship A'Hoy
10-10-2012, 12:17
Aaaaaaaaaamen

RussP
10-10-2012, 12:44
Excellent!!!!!!!!

JC2317
10-10-2012, 13:19
Perfect.

Angry Fist
10-10-2012, 13:22
Right click, save as...

msu_grad_121
10-10-2012, 13:38
Spot on! I'd love to have that printed up on cards and hand them to sanctimonious ***holes who just can't keep their mouths shut about any or all of the above. But of course, that would go over like a fart in church.

Great post, all the same!

glockandme
10-10-2012, 15:30
Copied and posted. Excellent!

Kingarthurhk
10-10-2012, 16:15
You forgot marginalized and demonized. But, it is a salient point.

I remember I would drive through some shady neighborhoods and the little kids loved me. I'd wave at them, they'd wave back, until their mom came out and beat the ever living crap out of them for being friendly to me. The teenagers were more sullen. They had already learned to hate.

Children don't hate, they are taught to hate.

nikerret
10-10-2012, 16:27
I remember I would drive through some shady neighborhoods and the little kids loved me. I'd wave at them, they'd wave back, until their mom came out and beat the ever living crap out of them for being friendly to me.

Then, you drive through one of the affluent neighborhoods and everyone refuses to acknowlede you're there or runs out expecting you to tell them every detail of why you are in their neighborhood.

Kingarthurhk
10-10-2012, 16:36
Then, you drive through one of the affluent neighborhoods and everyone refuses to acknowlede you're there or runs out expecting you to tell them every detail of why you are in their neighborhood.

I never spent much time in those neighborhoods. My job always brought me to the hood. But, I always prefered to be ignored. And unless the little kiddies were out, I usually was.

The most interesting kid situation was a vehicle that kept going around and around a convenience store in the hood. I figured they were looking for someone to dope some bales of weed in their vehicle, or they were lost looking for a smuggling group. So, I watch this car from a distance go around the frong of the conveience store to the back and around again, never stopping, but not breaking any speed records either.

Finally, it heads back toward the neighborhood. I follow it (night time), they haven't seen me yet. When it pulls over, I light it up. It was an 11 year old at the wheel, and his his 9 year old brother in the passenger.

I ask them what on earth they were doing driving. They said, their mom was chilling inside and sent them out for a few things. Mom came out and actually had the gaul to be pissed that I had pulled over the vehicle. I explained the situation to her in some colorful language and mentioned CPS, and she suddenly decided that she had the wrong end of that stick.

RetailNinja
10-10-2012, 16:45
You wouldn't think of telling your dentist how to pull a tooth or your doctor how to take out an appendix, yet you are always willing to give me pointers on the law.

I'm SOOOOOOOO using this!!!!!!!!! :rofl:

NecoDude
10-10-2012, 21:25
Testify Brother !!!!

frizz
10-10-2012, 23:13
How stupid can someone get?

For a neighborhood like that, cop cars are "scare-burglars" of far better power than a "This house protected by XYZ Security" sign. Objective evidence supports this conclusion.

Do other cops in other cities share this experience? Are the wealthy in nikerret's city just an aberration, or do they usually look down their snotty noses at y'all?

CanIhaveGasCash
10-11-2012, 00:45
Edit: decided not to feed the troll

merlynusn
10-11-2012, 07:23
Can I get an amen, brother?

Its the reasons above, and many more, that have made me decide to leave the field. Unfortunately for me, I'm too far in to quit and have to suck it up for 7.5 more years. Still trying like hell to get the Powerball winning numbers though.

Who isn't on the Powerball retirement plan?

seanmac45
10-11-2012, 07:31
Grat post.

Belongs in GNG.........LOL.

Southswede
10-11-2012, 08:26
Grat post.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=19506655#post19506655

:supergrin:

Southswede
10-11-2012, 15:22
Grat post.

Seems the "good folks" over at GNG disagree.

:supergrin::rofl::rofl:

seanmac45
10-11-2012, 15:32
LMAO........big huevos dude.

BIG HUEVOS.

Isn't it great the way they fed like piranhas??????

Thumpernator
10-11-2012, 16:02
I think Paul Harvey sums it up pretty good. They played the audio in a Power Point presentation at my sons academy graduation ceremony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEvZBKwvE0k

This is good too. Us old guys will recognize the young cop that Joe Friday is talking to. He later starred in "Adam 12."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3hiR9H7amo&feature=related

AZL
10-11-2012, 17:03
Great post swede.

Angry Fist
10-11-2012, 17:45
I posted it on a board yesterday on a topic concerning the cop that got his balls grabbed twisted. They were full of hate, but that post got lots of love.

Southswede
10-11-2012, 18:46
The thread over on GNG was locked. A stumper as to why......

jollygreen
10-11-2012, 19:33

You sound like you're whining.

I find it very difficult to believe that you're treated as you describe by (even) the majority of citizens.

If you don't like your job, find another.

Southswede
10-11-2012, 20:19

I find it very difficult to believe that you're treated as you describe by (even) the majority of citizens.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

frizz
10-11-2012, 21:14

It doesn't take that much of an increased percentage of crappy people to get under your skin. I worked retail way back when, and I mostly disliked it. It was the few customers who were jerks that ruined it for me.

I may be my fault for letting it get under my skin, but I'm human. So are police, but they deal with the dregs of society as their primary job description. Even when they deal with ordinary people, the situation doesn't usually bring puppies and kisses all around.

Is he whining? Who doesn't complain about their job from time to time? If he's giving you butthurt, this system supports killfiles, I think. Or you can just not read his threads...

...let alone whining about it in a reply.

frizz
10-11-2012, 21:21

I guess the cops were embarrassed when the fact that they all make over $100,000/yr was pointed out.

Never mind that this is untrue...

jollygreen
10-11-2012, 21:26
So are police, but they deal with the dregs of society as their primary job description.

If I take a job as a garbageman, it's stupid for me to complain about the stench. Some things simply go with the job. Cops are no different. Don't like the hate? Then get on back to McDonalds. They know what they're getting into before they take the job. They're getting paid, right? It ain't Habitat for Humanity.

Is he whining? Who doesn't complain about their job from time to time?

Exactly. All jobs have a downside. But you don't hear us whining about it. I haven't seen Walmart checkers, postal employees, librarians, et al, whining about their jobs.

Cops aren't special, regardless what they think.

RussP
10-11-2012, 21:31
The thread over on GNG was locked. A stumper as to why......Wrong forum for the topic...:cool:

RussP
10-11-2012, 21:39

If you don't like your job, find another.If I take a job as a garbageman, it's stupid for me to complain about the stench. Some things simply go with the job. Cops are no different. Don't like the hate? Then get on back to McDonalds. They know what they're getting into before they take the job.

Exactly. All jobs have a downside. But you don't hear us whining about it. I haven't seen Walmart checkers, postal employees, librarians, et al, whining about their jobs.

Cops aren't special, regardless what they think.JG, all of that has been posted many, many, many times here, but you yourself do provide a perfect example, a great illustration of the Mr. Citizen being addressed by the OP. Thanks for that contribution.

jollygreen
10-11-2012, 22:22
JG, all of that has been posted many, many, many times here, but you yourself do provide a perfect example, a great illustration of the Mr. Citizen being addressed by the OP. Thanks for that contribution.

Like I said, cops know what they're getting into. Don't like it? Don't take the job. But definitely don't look to me for pity when you get what you knew was coming.

msu_grad_121
10-11-2012, 23:02
I haven't seen Walmart checkers, postal employees, librarians, et al, whining about their jobs.

I call shenanigans. You're going to sit there and really say that you've never seen any other profession complaining about any aspect of their employment? Or that you've never done so yourself? Cow pie, plain and simple.

And further to that, what about this post comes off as whining? These are legitimate things that cops see that by and large frustrate them. It doesn't mean we don't love the job, just that we don't love dealing with certain aspects of the job, and we truly wish the ignorant masses (look in a mirror) would look deeper than the uniform and badge and use the brain God gave them. Or for some who've decided to chime in on the thread, that which you were so obviously denied.

But thanks for showing up and being "that guy." :wavey:

frizz
10-12-2012, 01:11
Like I said, cops know what they're getting into. Don't like it? Don't take the job. But definitely don't look to me for pity when you get what you knew was coming.

Perhaps you should stop whining that the OP is whining.

Like I said, you knew what you were getting into when you opened the thread. Don't like it? Quit reading. But definitely don't look to me for pity when you get what you knew was coming.

dbcooper
10-12-2012, 07:45
Postal workers don't whine and complain. They walk in heavily armed and lay waste to the joint.

I wouldn't want to put up with the bs the LEOs have to routinely deal with. Drunks, junkies, dip---t OCers looking to grab attention and then whining when they do, months of others second guessing decisions that have to be made in seconds. You didn't have to taze him- why didn't you taze him instead....

RussP
10-12-2012, 07:51
Like I said, cops know what they're getting into. Don't like it? Don't take the job. But definitely don't look to me for pity when you get what you knew was coming.Would you please share with us the screen name of the GT member in this thread who is looking to you for pity.

I do have the authority to confiscate any Pity-Party-Cards found on LE members.

Now, *****-Session-Cards, they are approved for use here in Cop Talk, the "forum where LEO's can talk shop or issues concerning law enforcement."

MoCop
10-12-2012, 07:52
Great post!!!!

RussP
10-12-2012, 08:26
Exactly. All jobs have a downside. But you don't hear us whining about it. I haven't seen Walmart checkers, postal employees, librarians, et al, whining about their jobs.Let's see, WalMart checkers, yep, I've heard them whining about how bad some customers treat them, how bad their supervisors threat them, how bad other employees treat them in several different stores.

When I was in real estate, I had several postal emplyees as clients and customers. Yep, they complained about their treat all the time. None were quitting though. It's that union benefit package.

Librarians, yes, the best was when a guy brought back 5 books with pages stuck together by various food products.

Et al? What kind of work do you do? I recall somewhere you mentioned "my restaurant". Have you never complained/whined about any of the jobs you've had?

MoCop
10-12-2012, 08:34

Ignorance is bliss. :upeyes:

RWBlue
10-12-2012, 13:17
As long as you see the world as US vs. THEM, and treat people as US vs. THEM, the other side will see the world as the same way.

When I was a kid, we played Cops and Robbers. Being a Cop was better roll. I don't think that is the case now.

All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others.

SPDSNYPR
10-12-2012, 13:52
I'll go ahead and self-edit this.

I can't say anything nice, so I'll shut up.

wprebeck
10-12-2012, 15:05
I'll go ahead and self-edit this.

I can't say anything nice, so I'll shut up.

Yeah - I started to post a reply, but it wasn't worth the time, and Russ has more important things to do than edit my posts and send me another infraction. :whistling:

Southswede
10-12-2012, 15:07
As long as you see the world as US vs. THEM, and treat people as US vs. THEM, the other side will see the world as the same way.

When I was a kid, we played Cops and Robbers. Being a Cop was better roll. I don't think that is the case now.

All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others.

Re-read the post and ask yourself which partof that "US vs. THEM" are you in.

Kingarthurhk
10-12-2012, 16:27
If I take a job as a garbageman, it's stupid for me to complain about the stench. Some things simply go with the job. Cops are no different. Don't like the hate? Then get on back to McDonalds. They know what they're getting into before they take the job. They're getting paid, right? It ain't Habitat for Humanity.

Neither are you. Your goal in life is come and piss on everyone's parade, no matter what thread you join.

PaulMason
10-12-2012, 16:33
Wasn't this thread closed yesterday?

PrecisionRifleman
10-12-2012, 16:41
it is a thankless job, you are disliked. welcome to public service. if you haven't served in the military try that out and then you have something to b***h about. Other wise find a new job. You have a choice.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

RussP
10-12-2012, 16:51
Yeah - I started to post a reply, but it wasn't worth the time, and Russ has more important things to do than edit my posts and send me another infraction. :whistling:Send me what you want to say...if I do not say it first, OKAY?

RussP
10-12-2012, 16:52
Wasn't this thread closed yesterday?No, what would you like to say?

RussP
10-12-2012, 16:57
it is a thankless job, you are disliked. welcome to public service. if you haven't served in the military try that out and then you have something to b***h about. Other wise find a new job. You have a choice.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engineWhat do you have to ***** about after serving in the military?

And, yes, I am a veteran.

RussP
10-12-2012, 17:05

All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others.Gosh, darn, the old US vs them argument. Did you notice that the US in the OP could easily be Mr. Citizen?

PaulMason
10-12-2012, 17:06
No, what would you like to say?

Thank you for asking.

Interesting turn of events. I'm getting old and I remember another thread where many of the posts told the OP to stop whining. Now they seem to be saying a lot of jobs suck and the worker isn't appreciated.

I think I need a drink.

wprebeck
10-12-2012, 18:02

Another one without a clue.

Do you have any ****ing idea how many people in LE are current or prior service military? I didn't think so - but, feel free to run your suck about things you have no clue about.

PaulMason
10-12-2012, 18:54
OK, I've had a drink and I have to agree with those who say a lot of jobs suck and the workers in those jobs are not appreciated for the good work they do.

A wise man once told me "Life sucks and then you die."

Make the best of it while you can.

jakebrake
10-12-2012, 18:58
Seems the "good folks" over at GNG disagree.

:supergrin::rofl::rofl:

yeah, well....**** them.

RWBlue
10-12-2012, 19:08
Re-read the post and ask yourself which part of that "US vs. THEM" are you in.

You should probably go back through my posts and you will see I am both and neither. It all depends on if the PTB need me that day.

RWBlue
10-12-2012, 19:32
Gosh, darn, the old US vs them argument. Did you notice that the US in the OP could easily be Mr. Citizen?

It goes both ways.

The Government making laws that separate a group or class of people doesn't help. This is true for any group, not just cops.

Then there is the public image. Hollywood has a hard on for bad cops. They make good stories. Everyone wants to watch a story about a somewhat dirty cop bending the rules to get justice (or dirty cops that gets busted).

The worst part is when there is a bad cop (and I don't mean someone who is not following an internal policy or other minor infraction, but someone taking bribes, dealing drugs, selling child pornography from his issued computer), the chief doesn't want to hear about it, the union stands up and fights it, and the other officers have issue with the people reporting it. Will make the entire department look bad and when it comes out in the news.

PrecisionRifleman
10-12-2012, 21:25
What do you have to ***** about after serving in the military?

And, yes, I am a veteran.

Nothing because I don't whine like a b****. What are you trying to start a support group or something? Wuss....

nikerret
10-13-2012, 07:21
A hug-a-bear would be extremely lonely or extremely worn out in this thread.

PrecisionRifleman
10-13-2012, 07:29
Another one without a clue.

Do you have any ****ing idea how many people in LE are current or prior service military? I didn't think so - but, feel free to run your suck about things you have no clue about.

yes I'm aware of that. which is the exact reason that I said *if*. The point doesn't change either way. You have a choice, its not a contractual obligation. There are other jobs to be had.

merlynusn
10-13-2012, 07:31
snip...

The worst part is when there is a bad cop (and I don't mean someone who is not following an internal policy or other minor infraction, but someone taking bribes, dealing drugs, selling child pornography from his issued computer), the chief doesn't want to hear about it, the union stands up and fights it, and the other officers have issue with the people reporting it. Will make the entire department look bad and when it comes out in the news.

There is NO ONE in this forum who tolerates or would tolerate a corrupt cop "taking bribes, dealing drugs, selling child pornography from his issued computer." That is absolutely ridiculous for you to even think it, let alone say it.

I was about to say that I'm offended that you'd even think that in this forum. But then I realized, that you definitely aren't one of us and you are now acting like one of the ghetto people we deal with all day who think that "blue line" exists for criminal behavior.

merlynusn
10-13-2012, 07:32

If you think for a second that people hate the military more than they hate the police, you are naive. I've been in both and I got way more respect and support in the military than I ever have in law enforcement.

RussP
10-13-2012, 07:37
Nothing because I don't whine like a b****. What are you trying to start a support group or something? Wuss....Actually, my name is Russ, R-u-s-s.

Am I trying to start a support group? No, the originator of that is named Eric, aka Big Giant Head here on GT. Here, read what he says.Folks, I did not create this forum to give people a place to ***** about cops, or to question the morality or legality of their practices. You might have a burning need to do so, but this is not the place for it.

I created this forum as a place for cops to talk shop and for non-cops to be able to interact with cops and hopefully create some common ground. If you do not like cops, or you are pissed because you got a ticket, or you want to know how to beat the ticket, or you don't like no-knock warrants or DUI checkpoints, do not post about it here. Period. I am sick to death of all of the bickering and all of the problems a few knuckleheads here (On both sides of the fence) keep causing. I want the problems to stop.

If you want to discuss legal/ethical issues of police practices or policies, do it in GT's Civil Liberties forum. That is what it was created for. From now on, any such discussion here will be closed or moved to that forum. There are a handful of people here who are obsessed with the topic and they are screwing things up here for everyone else.

Once again and for the record, I and my site are big fans of LEO's and we support them. You do not have to like them yourself, but you do have to treat them respectfully if you want to post on my site. On the other hand, the problems here are not one-sided. I expect EVERYONE to comport themselves in a considerate, respectful manner, if they wish to continue participating here. There is no excuse for bad behavior and many of you are in a job that has certainly taught you better.

This forum has been one of the most problematic on GT, but I still feel it can be an asset if the people that use it will help it live up to its potential. EricThis is a sticky at the top of the Cop Talk opening page, What This Forum Is Here For - Read This If You Post Here (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=622412). The blue empahsis is mine.

It is obvious you had not read it previously, but now that you have read it, you'll be expected to adhere to Eric's policy, keeping in mind the part above in italics.

And since it is obvious you do not want to support the support group, perhaps this is a good time for you to bow out.

Thanks

Morris
10-13-2012, 17:17
This one is worth making caramel corn this time.

Hack
10-13-2012, 19:03
This one is worth making caramel corn this time.

I brought the peanuts. Commence shelling!:whistling:

PrecisionRifleman
10-13-2012, 19:18
If you think for a second that people hate the military more than they hate the police, you are naive. I've been in both and I got way more respect and support in the military than I ever have in law enforcement.

I made no statements about people hating the military. The main point of the post is that there are options. Find a different job if you don't like the job. Its simple really. You have a choice.

Kingarthurhk
10-13-2012, 20:04
I made no statements about people hating the military. The main point of the post is that there are options. Find a different job if you don't like the job. Its simple really. You have a choice.

Yeah people with nearly to actually two decades invested can just drop everything. What world do you live in exactly?

Morris
10-13-2012, 20:10
I was military. I made a choice.

I became a cop.

RWBlue
10-13-2012, 20:30
There is NO ONE in this forum who tolerates or would tolerate a corrupt cop "taking bribes, dealing drugs, selling child pornography from his issued computer." That is absolutely ridiculous for you to even think it, let alone say it.

I never said anyone here was. Any more than I said that the people on this board are promoting seeing bad cops on TV and movies OR are trying to make laws that make laws that benefit/exclude one group.

Please re-read my posts without thinking that I am attacking you. Because I am not attacking cops. I am not suggesting that all cops are the same. In fact based on what I have seen they are all people, no better, no worse.

As far as being US or THEM. Look up my certifications. You will see I am on the Computer Security side of the house. I have been involved in investigating/reviewing COPs & departments. The question is, do you turn up your nose at me when you see me in the hall, block me from doing my job, or help point me in the right direction and welcome me in to weed out a bad COP?

I am also one of the people that keep the organization compliant and able to work with other local, state, and federal organizations.

PrecisionRifleman
10-13-2012, 22:45
Yeah people with nearly to actually two decades invested can just drop everything. What world do you live in exactly?

The one where the salary of police officers is low. There are plenty of options in terms of jobs within the salary range that would be needed to transition comfortably from a police officer salary. Its all about how bad you want something.

MeanAction
10-13-2012, 23:34
The best part of this thread was reading Russ's posts and seeing him get his blood pressure up. Mods and Cops are just people. Both can be in the wrong sometimes. I work in the ER at night so we work closely with LE and deal with some of the same dredge they deal with. I still fear police and avoid interaction with them.

steveksux
10-14-2012, 00:00
I brought the peanuts. Commence shelling!:whistling:I think someone already called in a fire mission... :rofl:

Randy

JuneyBooney
10-14-2012, 00:16
You forgot marginalized and demonized. But, it is a salient point.

I remember I would drive through some shady neighborhoods and the little kids loved me. I'd wave at them, they'd wave back, until their mom came out and beat the ever living crap out of them for being friendly to me. The teenagers were more sullen. They had already learned to hate.

Children don't hate, they are taught to hate.

While the post is very good I do have to say that people learn from experience..thus it is called "postjudice" and not "prejudice". :faint:When I was a kid the police were the good guys...never lied and always honest. After I learned that to be a dream the world became more gray. :whistling:

cowboywannabe
10-14-2012, 00:21
the limeys often said about us yanks that we charge our police with a job to do then stand in their way when they try to do it.

Southswede
10-14-2012, 03:50
It goes both ways.

The Government making laws that separate a group or class of people doesn't help. This is true for any group, not just cops.

Then there is the public image. Hollywood has a hard on for bad cops. They make good stories. Everyone wants to watch a story about a somewhat dirty cop bending the rules to get justice (or dirty cops that gets busted).

We in law enforcement take a dimmer view on those whom you describe than you do.

Hack
10-14-2012, 04:43
I think someone already called in a fire mission... :rofl:

Randy

Firing for effect!:supergrin:

RussP
10-14-2012, 06:18
As far as being US or THEM. Look up my certifications. You will see I am on the Computer Security side of the house. I have been involved in investigating/reviewing COPs & departments. The question is, do you turn up your nose at me when you see me in the hall, block me from doing my job, or help point me in the right direction and welcome me in to weed out a bad COP?

I am also one of the people that keep the organization compliant and able to work with other local, state, and federal organizations.Wow, I would have structured and worded that a WHOLE lot differently to diminish the US v THEM factor...just saying...

RussP
10-14-2012, 06:49
The best part of this thread was reading Russ's posts and seeing him get his blood pressure up.:rofl:

It takes a lot more than what's in this thread to raise my BP. :cool:

RussP
10-14-2012, 07:55
The one where the salary of police officers is low...Its all about how bad you want something.PR, think about that.

That is, in fact, what it is all about.

RWBlue
10-14-2012, 08:41
Wow, I would have structured and worded that a WHOLE lot differently to diminish the US v THEM factor...just saying...

I edited and re-edited and re-edited and I still can not say what I want to say. One day the police are buying ME donuts, the next day they ignore me in the hallway and physically block me from doing my job.

To an extent it still comes out as an attack on the profession, which it is not what I am saying. It is individuals. Things beyond the police officers control. And human nature, no one likes being controlled and watched, even the police.

Kingarthurhk
10-14-2012, 15:26
While the post is very good I do have to say that people learn from experience..thus it is called "postjudice" and not "prejudice". :faint:When I was a kid the police were the good guys...never lied and always honest. After I learned that to be a dream the world became more gray. :whistling:

I have been a lot of places and every office I have been in has at least one **** bird. But, you can find just as many in the private sector, if not more.

11A
10-14-2012, 15:39
I was military. I made a choice.

I became a cop.

Ditto.

PaulMason
10-14-2012, 16:47
Well, Mom and Dad, it seems you've figured me out. I fit neatly into the category where you've placed me.

I'm stereotyped, standardized, characterized, classified, grouped, and always typical. Unfortunately, the reverse is true. I can never figure you out.

From birth, you taught me that I'm special then you're shocked when I identify/associate with other special kids. You know the ones that don't dress like everyone else, think for ourselves and listen to different music.

You may have a few drinks after work but if I do that or smoke a joint, you call me out as a drug addict. You pride yourself on your manners, but think nothing of interrupting and telling me to shut up me and telling what life was like when you were young.

You raise Cain, and sometimes resort to violence/spanking or grounding, when I do something you don't like, but let me catch you doing the same thing and I'm in the wrong for saying so.

You shout "FOUL" if you observe me driving fast, but raise the roof if I say anything about your driving.

You tell me 'it sucks to be you' when you tell me I can't do something because of my age. But, if I tell you the same because you are old, I'm the one out of line.

You don't know what it is like to be young today. You wouldn't think of telling your dentist how to pull a tooth or your doctor how to take out an appendix, yet you are always willing to give me pointers on being young and life today.

You talk to me in a manner that would get you a bloody nose from anyone else, but expect me to take it without batting an eye.

You yell that something's got to be done about the world today, but you can't be bothered to get involved.

So Mon and Dad, you can stand there on your soapbox and rant and rave about the way I am, calling me every name in the book, but never stop to think that some day you will be old, and it will me who you will depend to take care of you.

Yes, Mom an Dad, it's me your teenage child!

TXCOPPER
10-14-2012, 17:36

What is it you do?

Sent from my angry birds provider (aka my phone)

Kingarthurhk
10-14-2012, 17:37
What is it you do?

Sent from my angry birds provider (aka my phone)

I think he is a professional tool bag.

Southswede
10-14-2012, 17:54

Couldn't get hired huh?

Patchman
10-14-2012, 19:24
I'm so glad to hear in jollygreen's world, no employee ever complains about anything. And in his world all employers and employees are in perfect harmony...! And no employees are afraid of being 'let go' for complaining.

Southswede
10-16-2012, 17:15
Couldn't get hired huh?

I'm so glad to hear in jollygreen's world, no employee ever complains about anything. And in his world all employers and employees are in perfect harmony...! And no employees are afraid of being 'let go' for complaining.

Seems we have hit too close to home for the jolly one......