Plague in California? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Plague in California?

Detectorist
10-10-2012, 11:37
http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/09/us/california-squirrel-plague/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

kensb2
10-10-2012, 11:49
I thought California WAS the plague???

Mrs. VR
10-10-2012, 13:33
Paging JTull!! California isn't so far From New Mexico, geographically speaking, that this is a shock, I suppose.

Dennis in MA
10-10-2012, 13:35
????

Wasn't it about a decade ago that prairie dogs in CO tested positive??? This is a common theme among overpopulated rodent areas. Either cut down the rodent population or Mommy Naturist will do it for you.

Glock20 10mm
10-10-2012, 13:39
????

Wasn't it about a decade ago that prairie dogs in CO tested positive??? This is a common theme among overpopulated rodent areas. Either cut down the rodent population or Mommy Naturist will do it for you.

And the problem exists because man has eliminated the natural predators that kept the populations under control. I see it on campus... just a matter of time before something bad happens.

Oh meant to add that in parts of CA we are not allowed to cull the populations either due to some hippie moron that determined it was an endangered species...

Dragoon44
10-10-2012, 14:16
IIRC there are a handful of plague cases every year in the US and more in other countries. it has never been eradicated but as the story states it can be treated if diagnosed promptly.

The thing to worry about is if it should develop into a more virulent and drug resistant strain.

RenoF250
10-10-2012, 14:27
And the problem exists because man has eliminated the natural predators that kept the populations under control. I see it on campus... just a matter of time before something bad happens.

Oh meant to add that in parts of CA we are not allowed to cull the populations either due to some hippie moron that determined it was an endangered species...

There were plenty being hunted this last weekend. I went out 4 wheeling and saw at least 3 groups shooting them out of trees. No controls on killing them at all that I know of.

Also, the natural predators are doing fine here.

Detectorist
10-10-2012, 14:37
I guess that's yet another reason not to live in Californy.

jeepinbandit
10-10-2012, 14:39
The Plague never really went away or died out. It's always been out there we have just become much cleaner as far as personal hygiene and understanding how sickness such as this spreads.

jeager
10-10-2012, 14:42
Most every parking lot here leading to the The Great Outdoors will have notices warning of lyme disease, plague, mtn lions and bears. Don't forget Tularemia!

Tree Squirrels have a specific season and limit.
California Beechy Ground Squirrels, jackrabbits, and coyotes are open year round and unlimited.
must have a license and unleaded-only in condor fly zone

In the Chinatown portion of San Francisco a hundred years ago there was a plague outbreak that killed ~1000. Kept Secret 'til recently.

.264 magnum
10-10-2012, 14:54

Hmmm. Don't think so.

The Black Death spanned most of the old world and predated significant over hunting by several centuries.

Dragoon44
10-10-2012, 15:06
Most every parking lot here leading to the The Great Outdoors will have notices warning of lyme disease, plague, mtn lions and bears. Don't forget Tularemia!

Tree Squirrels have a specific season and limit.
California Beechy Ground Squirrels, jackrabbits, and coyotes are open year round and unlimited.
must have a license and unleaded-only in condor fly zone

In the Chinatown portion of San Francisco a hundred years ago there was a plague outbreak that killed ~1000. Kept Secret 'til recently.

Sign:

Please be careful not to get eaten by the wildlife, we don't want them infected with the diseases you are about to catch on your nature hike.

Thank you.

jeager
10-10-2012, 15:09
Sign:

Please be careful not to get eaten by the wildlife, we don't want them infected with the diseases you are about to catch on your nature hike.

Thank you.

Yep,
I go prospecting at a place we call "Tweaker Gulsch"

Cali-Glock
10-10-2012, 16:09
The article says this is the Country's first confirmed case in a decade; I believe the article should say the County's (Riverside) first confirmation in a decade. Virtually every year it is found here in California, though typically in the Sierras.

I think it was in the 1990s a young girl living in the Sierras contracted the plague (pneumonic) from her cat which slept on her chest.

Paul53
10-10-2012, 16:23
The article says this is the Country's first confirmed case in a decade; I believe the article should say the County's (Riverside) first confirmation in a decade. Virtually every year it is found here in California, though typically in the Sierras.

I think it was in the 1990s a young girl living in the Sierras contracted the plague (pneumonic) from her cat which slept on her chest.

Agreed, COUNTY, not COUNTRY. In NM it is the norm to have 2 or 3 cases of Bubonic plague per year, either in Northern NM or people who have traveled there. Transmitted by ticks that like the higher moisture available there.

fastbolt
10-11-2012, 10:54
Not uncommon for a wild animal to be found carrying the bacteria.

Why do you think they periodically test some of the animals known to sometimes carry it in the wild?

Goldendog Redux
10-11-2012, 11:35
I remember being told when I was a little kid in the early 70's that chipmunks carried plague.

fnfalman
10-11-2012, 11:38
Don't worry, we'll export the plague to the rest of America soon.

jtull7
10-11-2012, 14:03
Paul53, the plague is transmitted by fleas that have been on a rodent that is infected by the plague. Northern NM is the epicenter of the plague in North America. We usually have 6 or 7 people infected each year, and 2 usually die, and it is usually because they don't seek medical care soon enough.

The vectors in Northern NM are usually rabbits, ground squirrels, prairie dogs, mice, and pack rats.

jeager, in 1905, a ship from China docked in San Francisco. The rats got ashore and the plague decimated Chinatown. It was covered up by the government all the way to the President.

After that, the plague started moving eastward. It made it to Northern NM in the late '50's, and stopped. It did not go further east, south, or north, and seemed to die out to the west. Aren't we lucky?

This year there have been plague cases in CA and OR. Very rare. Every so often a case pops up in southern CO or eastern AZ.

For a good read, see: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5231a1.htm

Glock20 10mm
10-11-2012, 14:37
Hmmm. Don't think so.

The Black Death spanned most of the old world and predated significant over hunting by several centuries.

Yes and during that period you refer to sanitation was horrible, people didn't bathe and their beds were made of straw and such which in many cases was infested with fleas from rodents. In modern America where we have the some of the best sanitation in the world, and our beds are no longer made of straw and for the MOST part people keep themselves clean, my statement stands.

cgwahl
10-11-2012, 15:01
I remember being told at least 20 years ago not to mess with squirrels because they could have the plague...why is this even news?

Paul53
10-11-2012, 18:22
Paul53, the plague is transmitted by fleas that have been on a rodent that is infected by the plague. Northern NM is the epicenter of the plague in North America. We usually have 6 or 7 people infected each year, and 2 usually die, and it is usually because they don't seek medical care soon enough.

The vectors in Northern NM are usually rabbits, ground squirrels, prairie dogs, mice, and pack rats.

jeager, in 1905, a ship from China docked in San Francisco. The rats got ashore and the plague decimated Chinatown. It was covered up by the government all the way to the President.

After that, the plague started moving eastward. It made it to Northern NM in the late '50's, and stopped. It did not go further east, south, or north, and seemed to die out to the west. Aren't we lucky?

This year there have been plague cases in CA and OR. Very rare. Every so often a case pops up in southern CO or eastern AZ.

For a good read, see: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5231a1.htm

I meant to say fleas. Thanks for catching my error.

RenoF250
10-11-2012, 19:15
I remember being told at least 20 years ago not to mess with squirrels because they could have the plague...why is this even news?

I agree, my mom always told me to leave animals alone because they carried a bunch of nasty stuff.

skeeter1959
10-11-2012, 22:04
I thought California WAS the plague???

You are correct. Just like mexico. :wavey: