G29 Gen4 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : G29 Gen4

87heel
10-10-2012, 12:56
Somewhat new to the glock family, so bear with me. I have the G27 and LOVE it. After shooting a friend's 10mm, I got the fever and came across an unbelievable deal on a new G29 Gen4 with Tru-Glo sites. Couldn't pass it up.

Questions:

1. I've read many people upgrade the recoil spring, guide rod, and even the barrel on Glock 10mms. Is this necessary or recommended (if so, why?) for the Gen 4 G29 or are such upgrades just recommended on previous Gen's? I'm considering on carrying high velocity Underwood Ammo from the reviews I've read.

If upgrades recommended, please list your recommended upgrades (incl brand names etc.,) and best places to obtain.

2. Even if upgrades are recommended (#1 above), would you be concerned with shooting Underwood Ammo with the stock G29 Gen4?

3. Is there a grip plug out yet for the G29 GEN4 to fill the space on bottom of grip? I haven't been able to find one for the Gen 4. Would the G30 plug fit?

4. I've heard the A&G magazine sleeve (for the G20 mag to use with G29) pinches and isn't the best. X-Grip seems to have good reviews, but again, I haven't seen one available for G29 Gen4. If not, any idea if X-Grip plans to make one for Gen4 G29 or other sleeve you would recommend that's available for Gen4?

Teecher45
10-10-2012, 21:47
Congrats, that's cool.
BTW, most will refuse to comment until pics are posted.
AND, I have a stock Gen 3.5 (old frame, new RSA) and it shoots Underwoods just fine. Don't change a thing. Just buy ammo. I shoot the 20 mags without sleeves so I can't help you there. Have fun!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

alwaysshootin
10-11-2012, 06:57
87heel,

First of all, congrats on the G29, and welcome to GlockTalk! IMHO, you have the ultimate carry firearm, It's what I carry!:whistling:

Secondly, shoot the darn thing, and without hesitation, use underwoodammo. Examine the brass around the base, above the extraction groove. If there are pronounced, bulges, an after market barrel may be in order. If no bulges, factory barrel is good to go!

After shooting a box or two of underwoodammo, notice the ejection distance of the brass. If it's 4-10 feet, never mind a new guide rod, and spring set. If the ejection, is greater, perhaps something in the 20-23 LB spring weight is in order. After you have run a box or two of ammo through it, and decide you need a guide rod, and spring enhancement, let us know, and I can tell you what I've went with.

As far as other add ons, for the most part, it's just spending money, that could be spent on ammo.

Lastly, save all your brass!!!!!!!! It is gold!!!!!! If you decide to ever reload, and you should, you will be glad you saved it. If you don't, people will be willing to trade good things for 10MM, once fired brass.

Go out and run some rounds through your G29, then get back with just how effing cool it is to shoot!:cool:

87heel
10-11-2012, 11:35
Teech...Thanks for the heads-up on posting pictures. Being new to the forum, I wasn't sure if you meant profile/avatar or picture of my G29, so I did both.

AlwaysShootin...Great info. Sounds like I can "shoot-away" without concern of needing any "upgrades" initially. I'll get back with you for suggestions if I decide on upgrades.

Can't wait to shoot this darn thing. Hopefully this weekend.

Opie 1 Kenopie
10-11-2012, 14:43
87Heel, you have a great carry pistol there as it comes out of the box. You shouldn't need to change anything. I just came out of the mountains from a backpacking trip where I carried my G29SF with me the entire 43 miles up to almost 12,000 feet. Sure felt good when I had to wander out into the dark woods to do "business" having that G29SF in hand. And I mean IN HAND. I loaded up with 200 gr. XTPs for the trip, then just swapped back to 175gr. Silvertips for the trip home. Carried it out to lunch with the wife a few minutes ago. It's an all around do-everything gun. Congrats!

DeLo
10-11-2012, 14:47
Congrats!

87heel
10-12-2012, 09:23
Opie1...LOL. I normally carry G27 and don't feel under-gunned by any means. There's just something about a 10mm that makes you feel like you are prepared for anything. And the G29 is nearly as easy to carry as the G27. Crossbreed holsters rule!!

s0nspark
10-12-2012, 09:36
I hope to pick up a Gen4 G29 soon to go with my (awesome) Gen4 G20! :-)

87heel
10-12-2012, 09:42
Spark...Congrats. I really like the gen 4 grips.

If weather permits, I'm headed to the ranch this weekend to put 150 or so rounds thru mine. Wish I had ordered some underwood to have on hand.

s0nspark
10-12-2012, 11:28
Spark...Congrats. I really like the gen 4 grips.

Me too - the new texture has made a noticeable difference in my shooting.

bac1023
10-17-2012, 18:04
Congrats on the G29.

xcaliburelite
10-25-2012, 06:43
Ive been looking everywhere for a Gen4 29! Congrats on finding one. I told my local dealer to not even bother calling me when he finds one, just go ahead and get it on the way! :whistling:

arushus
10-25-2012, 09:08
Congrats and welcome!

Alwaysshootin gave you some very good advice, and the same advice I would have given, so Im glad he typed it out so I dont have to!

As far as accessories go, anything that fits a Gen 4 G30, G30sf and G29sf is going to fit a Gen 4 G29, with the exception of barrels and one or two other items directly related to handling .45acp ammo instead of 10mm. As far as new trigger mechanism housings go if you decide you need a new one, or one with an overtravel stop like mine, make sure you get one made for the SF model, or Gen 4. To the best of my knowledge the x-grip sleaves for the G20 magazines should fit your gun just fine. And remember, with any of these products, phone and email are your friend, so call or email ahead of time and they can answer your questions also!

87heel
10-25-2012, 09:40
Keep the faith. It was gonna be Dec/Jan before I could get one through my local dealer in dallas. I really like the G29 so far. You won't be disappointed.

Ive been looking everywhere for a Gen4 29! Congrats on finding one. I told my local dealer to not even bother calling me when he finds one, just go ahead and get it on the way! :whistling:

JimIsland
10-25-2012, 09:56
Congrats....that's a fine handgun.

attrapereves
10-25-2012, 18:48
I shoot my 29SF and 20 bare bones stock, even with hot loads. It seems like people start having problems when they replace factory parts. I have no desire to replace springs, barrels, or anything of that nature.

xcaliburelite
10-31-2012, 06:50
Out of curiosity, what is the finish on the slide like? Is it the shiny Tenifer or is it the matte grey finish? The pics posted here look like the shiny finish, but its hard to tell for sure.

My Gen4 26, less than a year old, has the 'new' finish and I really don't like it. Its already scratched and scuffed, where my early 2000s 19 is still in great shape. A local gun store has a variety of Gen4 pistols, some with the light grey matte finish, and some with the shiny finish.

I fully intend to buy a Gen4 29 in sometime in the next coupld of months, but if the finish is the 'cheaper' matte version, I might just get an older Gen3.

duncan
11-04-2012, 19:06
The G29 is an awesome CCW and woodsgun. Just finished elk hunting at 5300 feet in the Cascae Mountains near Seattle with my G29 as my sidearm.

Shoot the crap out of it.

Yes, get some Wolff extra power springs and a steel rod for it.

Good on the sights upgrade.

If it's your only 10mm, I'd recommend a LW 40SW conversion barrel or even a 357 sig barrel too:cool:

The Glock 10mm platform can shoot a lot!

Congrats. It's my favorite "Can only carry one" handgun.

rjinaz85308
11-13-2012, 20:16
I shoot the hot Underwood out of a stock G29 Gen3 with no problems