Dropped DSL [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Dropped DSL

wjv
10-10-2012, 16:31
Dropped DSL from CenturyStink. . Um. . Link.

Was getting 1.4Mbs for ~$40 per month+taxes. Comcast cable internet is now installed. The speed test is showing 28.5Mps!

:cheerleader: :dancingbanana: :cheerleader: :dancingbanana: :cheerleader:

We will be paying $30/month for 6 months, then $45 for the next 6 months. after that it will probably go to $60.

Next week we pick up a Magic Jack and say good bye to CenturyLink and their $95/month!

Gallium
10-10-2012, 16:35
Dropped DSL from CenturyStink. . Um. . Link.

Was getting 1.4Mbs for ~$40 per month+taxes. Comcast cable internet is now installed. The speed test is showing 28.5Mps!

:cheerleader: :dancingbanana: :cheerleader: :dancingbanana: :cheerleader:

We will be paying $30/month for 6 months, then $45 for the next 6 months. after that it will probably go to $60.

Next week we pick up a Magic Jack and say good bye to CenturyLink and their $95/month!

What is DSL? :headscratch:

wjv
10-10-2012, 16:43
Digital Subscriber Line - Internet (Typically 1.5Mbs max) over your phone line. It's what replaced Dial-Up. Now Newer technologies are replacing DSL.

Lee-online
10-10-2012, 17:45
I just did the same. Frontier DSL and phone was costing me $70. I got the Comcast triple play for $99. Went from 1.27 to 25.46.

berto62
10-10-2012, 18:52
I'm happy with my DSL. 6 Meg for 40 a month

m2hmghb
10-10-2012, 18:56
I love my cable. 35 down 2-5 up. A small company is the way to go if possible, mine is very responsive to issues and they do not slack when there are problems.

JMarch
10-10-2012, 18:56
I'm happy with mine too. 3Megs for $15 a month :D

Bigpoppie50
10-10-2012, 19:15
I'm pretty happy with my CenturyLink DSL(3Meg/$29 per month). I am in a rural area and it is the fastest speed I can get due to my Distance(approx 13000ft. from the CO). I gotta check and see if there is another provider in the area because I have had this for a while and there does not seem to be any upgrades in the future.

*ASH*
10-10-2012, 19:16
dropped windstream here 2 weeks ago , 40 bucks and only 3 mg

hooked up with charter cable , 40 bucks month and we get this speed now

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e332/KK_Koala/2217589224-1.png

kirgi08
10-11-2012, 01:53
100mbps.I don't know how ta post the above "pings".Don't bother..08. :sad:

Atomic Punk
10-11-2012, 07:00
i switched from comcast to century link. advertised as 12mbs average 9-10. slower than comcast. but a series of bad customer service issues and about $60 less a month lead me to changing.

Drain You
10-11-2012, 09:20
DSL is a dying technology but in many places it is the only choice and people are very happy with it. My cable is over 20mb but I'd change to DSL in a heartbeat.

RAIN should not cause 3 day outages for an entire neighborhood, Comcast.

GasTurbine
10-11-2012, 10:07
DSL supports speeds up to 15mb easily, and is hardly a "dying technology" AT&Ts U-Verse and its accompanied DSL, are knocking people of cable all over te place around here.

I would also be suspect to any cable claims of 25mb or faster. In any environment where there are multiple users, the bandwidth gets sucked down the more users that are on. If you have software registering these high numbers, methinks the software must be a little "happy".

Drain You
10-11-2012, 10:32
DSL supports speeds up to 15mb easily, and is hardly a "dying technology" AT&Ts U-Verse and its accompanied DSL, are knocking people of cable all over te place around here.

I would also be suspect to any cable claims of 25mb or faster. In any environment where there are multiple users, the bandwidth gets sucked down the more users that are on. If you have software registering these high numbers, methinks the software must be a little "happy".

DSL up to 15MBPS? In what country? At&t is the largest DSL provider and their top speed is 6 down. Some customers enjoy a higher speed but usually not more than 6.8MB

Yes, DSL is dying. It was a great idea, using already existing technology to boost people from dial up speeds to 1MB or more, now up to 6MB. ADSL maxes out at 8MB.
Yes there are other DSL technologies that can go as high as 24MBPS, but you won't see it in the United States as far as I know of.

Funny that you should speak of At&t and U-verse. You know that is not DSL, right? It is fiber optic cable. Download speeds go around 24 down with U-Verse, and At&t is working as fast as they can to move customers over to the new technology, in fact doing force migrations. Because they are killing DSL off.

They physically strip the copper wiring from the home/pole when installing U-verse.

The one thing you did get right was about the software being "happy". Anyone smart enough to run more than 1 source for speed tests knows that.

I get over 20 on all of them.

GasTurbine
10-11-2012, 10:40
DSL up to 15MBPS? In what country?

The united States.

Yes, DSL is dying.

Not here (Columbus, Ohio) its not.

Yes there are other DSL technologies that can go as high as 24MBPS, but you won't see it in the United States as far as I know of.[

Perhaps this is the problem. You see, I work in IT.

Funny that you should speak of At&t and U-verse. You know that is not DSL, right?

Wrong.

It is fiber optic cable.

Again, wrong. They run FOC to the local area MDF only, from there, its good old DSL on copper technology. This is why DSL doesnt suffer from shrinking bandwidth with more users.

Regards.

Viper16
10-11-2012, 10:43
its funny that 1 mb/ps is 0.125 megabytes per second, for a while I thought it was megabytes per second. I could only imagine have 80mb/ps.

Big_Grumpy
10-11-2012, 12:15
DSL up to 15MBPS? In what country? At&t is the largest DSL provider and their top speed is 6 down. Some customers enjoy a higher speed but usually not more than 6.8MB

Yes, DSL is dying. It was a great idea, using already existing technology to boost people from dial up speeds to 1MB or more, now up to 6MB. ADSL maxes out at 8MB.
Yes there are other DSL technologies that can go as high as 24MBPS, but you won't see it in the United States as far as I know of.

Wrong on many levels. VDSL2 is alive and well and capable of 25mb speeds. My US based company provides it.

Clutch Cargo
10-11-2012, 12:24
I pay around $60, but on a 4G network, I can go just about anywhere and have internet access for my computer.

Viper16
10-11-2012, 12:33
Wrong on many levels. VDSL2 is alive and well and capable of 25mb speeds. My US based company provides it.

how are the upload speeds?

Dalton Wayne
10-11-2012, 12:42
Get the magic jack the you do not need a computer to run, they work much better than the the one that plugs into the computer.....

Big_Grumpy
10-11-2012, 13:14
how are the upload speeds?
It's capped around 5-6mb. Although when I ran it, it was more around 2.

Like was mentioned, speeds vary based on your distance from the serving device.

Naelbis
10-11-2012, 14:05
I have 10mb/s ADSL from Nemont Communications here in ND. It is the ONLY option in my rural area for internet faster than 1mb/s down. Bundled with a phoneline it costs me $86 a month, if I want just the DSL it is $100 a month. They offer 30mb/s business lines, but they aren't available to me. Since they are the only provider, I do not see any chance of them upgrading their tech...EVER.

michael_b
10-11-2012, 14:20
Digital Subscriber Line - Internet (Typically 1.5Mbs max) over your phone line. It's what replaced Dial-Up. Now Newer technologies are replacing DSL.

Lol newer tech replaced DSL a decade ago lol- unless you live

Glad you were able to upgrade.

-On mobile

Drain You
10-11-2012, 16:06
The united States.
Not here (Columbus, Ohio) its not.
Perhaps this is the problem. You see, I work in IT.
Wrong.
Again, wrong. They run FOC to the local area MDF only, from there, its good old DSL on copper technology. This is why DSL doesnt suffer from shrinking bandwidth with more users.
Regards.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Yeah ok, it is not even worth telling you who I am because you wouldn't believe it.

Glock&KimberLady
10-11-2012, 17:56
I wish I could have DSL or FiOS. I am stuck with wireless broadband...that's NO streaming (no XBox Live or NetFlix) and a cap of 10Gb per month, $10/Gb after that.

Don't know the daily cap but I've run up against it a few times and they throttled me down to 1kbps for 24 hours. :shocked:

And DSL most certainly does run out of assigned IPs. If companies adopt iPv6, no, but currently we are in a holding pattern for IP addresses in some areas up here.

Hence making people, loooong ago, use dynamic instead of static IP addresses in a logon situation. I remember my static IP address. :crying:

HollowHead
10-11-2012, 18:03
Can one get DSL without phone service? We dropped our land-line years ago but it is still physically connected to the house... Thanks, HH