Anyone used the carbon steel CMC powermags? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used the carbon steel CMC powermags?

RetailNinja
10-10-2012, 16:48
Like the title says. Has anyone used the carbon steel CMC powermags yet? I was thinking about grabbing a few as I usually buy a couple new powermags every year. Thoughts?

R0CKETMAN
10-10-2012, 17:14
I was wrong, they are black oxide carbon steel.

faawrenchbndr
10-10-2012, 17:16
What He said,.........great mags!
I prefer McCormick & Tripp mags

RetailNinja
10-10-2012, 19:38
They're not carbon steel. Coated SS

For real? Several websites have them listed as black carbon steel.

samuse
10-10-2012, 20:49

They are carbon and they'll rust. I love 'em. Just treat 'em like any other blued magazine and you'll be fine.

Glock Holliday
10-11-2012, 05:12
They're supposed to be the best so that's what I carry at work (after being backordered for a few months). I really haven't noticed any difference between them and the stainless steel Power Mags though.

R0CKETMAN
10-11-2012, 17:31

I was wrong...they are black oxide carbon steel according to Hilton. My appologies.

Gary1911A1
10-12-2012, 09:11
I have several. I remember Larry Vickers saying a carbon steel magazine was better than stainless with all other things being equal.

MAC702
10-12-2012, 11:37
I have a 15-year old CMC black magazine in my equally-old Springfield Armory Mil-Spec.

For where I keep that particular firearm, that is the magazine that stays with it, and it doesn't enter the rotation that feeds the other 1911s, which just happen to be Wilsons.

I like them both.

The only magazines that have ever given me problems are CMC 10-round extended mags (stainless). Two of mine have warped feedlips and no longer fit the firearms.

fnfalman
10-12-2012, 11:40
I have several. I remember Larry Vickers saying a carbon steel magazine was better than stainless with all other things being equal.

We can discuss the merits of stainless steel versus carbon steel all day long, but I doubt that it matters in a construct that is as simple as a magazine.

Jason D
10-12-2012, 17:13
I bought six when they first came out. I have only tried a few of them in a single gun, but was not pleased. To be fair to the mags though, the gun is a known trouble maker.

RetailNinja
10-12-2012, 20:37
I ordered a couple to try out. Only one CMC I've ever owned (plain jane shooting star) had the feed lip spread, and it was after 2 years of ccw and range play. I've been impressed with the stainless' performance. I pulled the trigger on 4.

RetailNinja
10-15-2012, 21:26
Kudos to CMC!! The Mags came in today, covered in oil, but perfect fit and finish as expected. I'll be function testing them in my Baer tomorrow. I also noticed that their Concealed floor plates fit on the 10rd powermags without modification!

I also asked them to draw a palm tree on the package and they did! Sweet!! The artist even asked me to color it in and return it!