PSA upper deal. Worth it? Or wait? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : PSA upper deal. Worth it? Or wait?

Chuck66
10-10-2012, 18:30
Hey, all. I've been AR shopping for a few weeks and I'm contemplating picking up pieces to build my first black rifle vs buying a complete gun, and I thought I may even do both. I'm not in much of a hurry, so I thought I'd pick up pieces as they come along at good prices. I'm partial to the M4 style, and PSA is running this deal today:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/featured/m4-madness-16-cmv-chrome-lined-stripped-upper-without-bcg-or-charging-handle.html?utm_source=M4+Madness_Truglo&utm_campaign=Constant+Contact&utm_medium=email

Thoughts on this for an upper for an M4 styles rifle? I notice it says chrome-lined bore, not barrel. Red flag? Can better deals be had with patience? I don't think I want to mess yet with a stripped upper, so this is as basic as I want to get wih the upper.

I'm aware that PSA is apparently having shipping issues. That's OK if it's a great deal. Like I say, I'm not in a huge hurry. I signed up for their emails the other day and can't believe how cheap some of their stuff seems to be, and the frequency they place things on sale. I'm trying not to get swept up in the fever but their ads make it tempting to just jump in and start ordering.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Ruggles
10-10-2012, 18:38
I have been happy with my PSA, both the lower (which I bought stripped and then built using PSA small parts) and the complete upper. For $269 I don't think you can go wrong :)

Cole125
10-10-2012, 18:39
Save up a little more and get a BCM upper. PSA has been having issues, I personally got a defective upper from them, and so have others on this forum. On top of that their shipping times are a joke as well as their CS.

Get BCM, you will be glad you did. Also look into Rainier Arms uppers.

bmoore
10-10-2012, 19:04
ANOTHER one of my friends got a screwed up PSA order yesterday. It is getting a little bit out of control. I had a disconnector out of spec, one friend had his upper shipped to Utah, another had a missing part and yesterday my buddy said his order was missing items. My vote is for BCM.

Cole125
10-10-2012, 19:07
Damn, sounds like they are getting worse. Yeah they use quality parts for a very good price, but they have monkeys putting the uppers together and running the shipping department. :alex:

glock031
10-10-2012, 19:36
You should be fine with the PSA deal. The complaints amount to less than a fraction of a percentage if valid. You came to a BCM fanboy forum with a question about a non BCM so take that into account.

If its built correctly with in spec parts and function tested with a lifetime warranty than you should have no worry as long as you aren't impatient and figgity as a 13 yo girl.

bmoore
10-10-2012, 19:59
You should be fine with the PSA deal. The complaints amount to less than a fraction of a percentage if valid. You came to a BCM fanboy forum with a question about a non BCM so take that into account.

If its built correctly with in spec parts and function tested with a lifetime warranty than you should have no worry as long as you aren't impatient and figgity as a 13 yo girl.

I am going to give your idiotic post a pass and just start with some facts. The MAJORITY of my orders and friends orders have not been correct. I was a really big PSA fan when they started out. BCM is top notch in build, customer service, shipping and track record. People are giving the OP real advice from their experience, stop with the fanboy stuff.

mvician
10-10-2012, 20:12
I've ordered 2 uppers from 2 different sales.

Both uppers arrived in a timely fashion and were put together correctly.

I would and will order from them again.

cowboy1964
10-10-2012, 20:17
I was getting nervous as I was at about 27 business days but my upper finally arrived. No complaints with the quality. FN barrels are the best.

Fwdftw
10-10-2012, 20:18
A friend of mine had a STR LPK. I know its not a huge deal but its a big inconvenience it was missing the small allen screw for his MOE trigger guard. And it took 2 weekes to get there too.

Ruggles
10-10-2012, 20:46
Well I have one BCM and one PSA so I guess I am in the middle ground :) I don't see a heck of a lot of difference between to the two.

TedG
10-10-2012, 20:51
I've ordered 2 uppers from 2 different sales.

Both uppers arrived in a timely fashion and were put together correctly.

I would and will order from them again.

Me too.

AK_Stick
10-10-2012, 20:59
I have never ordered a PSA, but, judging from what I've seen, I would order one.

That said, it does seem that quite a few of their guns and orders suffer from issues.

I've seen the wrong order shipped, order shipped to the wrong place, and more than a few guns that didn't function intially. Mostly because of improper FSB/gas port alignment.

They seem like a good company, but you get what you pay for. There's a reason its not the same price as BCM. You're not getting a BCM level product.

glock031
10-10-2012, 21:02
I am going to give your idiotic post a pass and just start with some facts. The MAJORITY of my orders and friends orders have not been correct. I was a really big PSA fan when they started out. BCM is top notch in build, customer service, shipping and track record. People are giving the OP real advice from their experience, stop with the fanboy stuff.

Nothing particully idiotic about my post at all. This forum has 4 PSA complaints out of the bakers dozen or so regulars that frequent this little club. 5,000 plus satisfied customers on ar15 without complaints. What gives? :whistling:

AK_Stick
10-10-2012, 21:06
from about 7 guys with PSA guns.

PSA, for all the good they do, have a disproportionately large number of issues, with either delivery of the product, or the quality of the product.

They still offer a pretty good deal, and seem to make good on all the guns that leave the factory as anything other than "tip top" But still, you won't see nearly as many complaints with any of the other big name manufacturers.

BCM, simply offers a better product, period. Yes, they cost more, but there is a reason.

bmoore
10-10-2012, 21:16
Nothing particully idiotic about my post at all. This forum has 4 PSA complaints out of the bakers dozen or so regulars that frequent this little club. 5,000 plus satisfied customers on ar15 without complaints. What gives? :whistling:

30% failure is good to go for you?

Chuck66
10-10-2012, 21:30
PSA, for all the good they do, have a disproportionately large number of issues, with either delivery of the product, or the quality of the product.

What I'm thinking is, based on how bad it seems just right at the moment with PSA's deliveries, based on what I read here and in Arfcom's PSA forum, combined with the fact that they seem to run more sales than Old Navy, I'm going to give this a pass for tonight and see how it looks in a few weeks. That will give me time to be sure that I'm getting what I want and not just jumping because the price is good. I still like a good value, and think PSA is in my future, if not immediately.

BCM, simply offers a better product, period. Yes, they cost more, but there is a reason.

Here's my big gripe with BCM. How in heck do you sort through their website? I get overwhelmed there. PSA's site is much more straightforward. Also, I can't even figure out some of BCM's site. For instance, if you look at their complete rifles, where are the prices? I'm not writing them off either, but I might would have already bought a rifle from them if I could get my info together. I could just call them, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Is there another source for their stuff to go to?

While I'm at it, what other sites does everyone like for parts, up to and including complete uppers, where deals come along, like PSA's site? I'm trying to compile a list of sites to check regularly for deals for picking up those random parts at good prices as described in the OP. So far I'm watching Buds, PSA, BCM to some degree, I look over Centerfire Systems every now and then. And Brownell's. Any good ones to add?

Thanks, fellas! :wavey:

Cole125
10-10-2012, 21:34

Believe what you want, fact is PSA is messing up time and time again. If you want to spend your money on a sub standard company run by monkeys, go for it.

Fact is, there are many companies that have it together with shipping times, CS, and quality control. I spend a little more and buy from companies who know what they are doing and care about their customers.

michael_b
10-10-2012, 21:39
I have been happy with my PSA, both the lower (which I bought stripped and then built using PSA small parts) and the complete upper. For $269 I don't think you can go wrong :)

Same here. Mine is flawless.

OP- I'd wait for a mid length upper rather than a carbine. They are having sales constantly. Just my opinion.

I've had something like 7 orders from them and everything has been flawless. As long as you have patience because they don't get orders out the fastest. They will charge your card immediately though lol.

That being said, I'm extremely impressed with my BCM BCG and charging handle. They also didn't charge my card until the day AFTER the products shipped- which they shipped less than 24hrs after I ordered.

-On mobile

Cole125
10-10-2012, 21:40
While I'm at it, what other sites does everyone like for parts, up to and including complete uppers, where deals come along, like PSA's site?
Here is a short list of good companies to order from

Rainier Arms (http://www.rainierarms.com) (quality gear, nice people who care about you)

Midwayusa (midwayusa.com) (fast shipping, good selection)

PK Firearms (http://pkfirearms.com) (order from them and get your tracking number in a couple hours)

Ruggles
10-10-2012, 22:13

Rainier Arms (http://www.rainierarms.com) (quality gear, nice people who care about you)

PK Firearms (http://pkfirearms.com) (order from them and get your tracking number in a couple hours)

Yep Rainer and Midway are good companies. Never used PK. BCM has been great to deal with as well. Bison Armory also teated me well.

About the only ones I won't deal with is Cheaper Than Dirt, those guys can go rot :tongueout:

glock031
10-10-2012, 22:14
Believe what you want, fact is PSA is messing up time and time again. If you want to spend your money on a sub standard company run by monkeys, go for it.

Fact is, there are many companies that have it together with shipping times, CS, and quality control. I spend a little more and buy from companies who know what they are doing and care about their customers.

Fact is my real world expierence with PSA differs from yours. I bought three complete uppers, 3 stripped lowers, 4 LPK's, 1 BCG and numerous other ar15 parts, plus multiple ammo orders. I never had a missing item. Never had to wait more than two weeks plus a day. All my PSA assembles run like sewing machines. Not one malfunction yet out of thousands of rounds fired.

The 30% PSA complaint ratio is only here not anywhere else. I find that odd. Yes there are some valid complaints but considering the shear volume they do these complaints are only a fraction and mostly shipping/missing item errors. The complaints regarding uppers or whole rifles having failures are almost non existent except for the 30% here. That was the point i was trying to make. The complaint ratio is extremely high here and here only.

Sorry bout your luck........
Fact is if any rifle is assembled correctly with proper "spec" componets of proper testing and materials and function tested. It would be accepted as standard, regardless of brand.

Chuck66
10-10-2012, 22:25

Thanks! :cool:

Hour13
10-10-2012, 22:42
I was one of the guys singing PSA's praises...

The comment above about them "making right" on any bad rifles, and "built right with a lifetime warranty" is absolute horse****.

When I first started buying from them, they were quick to take care of any problems. This is sadly no longer the case. Recent builds missing parts, they've become less and less willing to do anything about it.

Last straw was the most recent upper showing up with the inside of the receiver completely barren of any finish. Bare frikin aluminum.

Their "customer service" dept might as well have sent me a singing telegram telling me to go **** myself. They are flat out ignoring me.

I am 100% done sending any money their way.

My new upper came in today, just days after I ordered it, and it's perfect.

Three letter company, but not "PSA".

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn269/hour13/100_5628.jpg

And as if the upper wasn't badass enough, I always get a kick out of the freebies! This upper they threw in stickers, a hat(the one I DON'T have!), 6 posters, 2 DVDs, and a bottle of SLiP EWL.
:supergrin:

Cole125
10-10-2012, 22:55
Their "customer service" dept might as well have sent me a singing telegram telling me to go **** myself. They are flat out ignoring me.

:rofl: That spells out what happened when I confronted them about my flawed upper.

I don't care anymore, but those ass clowns aren't going to see another penny of mine.

Nice new build BTW! :supergrin: The only three letter company I'm ordering from is going to start with a B from now on.

Hour13
10-10-2012, 23:19
:rofl: That spells out what happened when I confronted them about my flawed upper.

I don't care anymore, but those ass clowns aren't going to see another penny of mine.

Exactly. I got tired of chasing ghosts, Duracoated the upper, free-floated it due to a canted FSB(improperly drilled taper pin holes, lol), and traded it to my friend Will for a case of M193.

I know I'm just one guy, small potatoes. But I burn through an average of $500-$1,000 a month on AR gear & ammo, quite a bit more pretty soon. And they won't be getting a penny of it.

Nice new build BTW! :supergrin: The only three letter company I'm ordering from is going to start with a B from now on.

Thanks man! :cheers:

I'm really happy with it, 14.5" carbine. Makes me grin every time I look at it. Oh, and if you haven't tried out the TangoDown SCAR panels yet...

They are AWESOME!!!

I have found my new favorite rail covers!
:thumbsup:

glock031
10-11-2012, 00:22
There's two sides of the story for every complaint.

I don't deal with companies that own internet forums that sing praises about themselves. I believe in full disclosure. Sheeple will be roundup and steered and like it i guess. To each thier own....:)

NeverMore1701
10-11-2012, 00:33

I don't deal with companies that own internet forums that sing praises about themselves. I believe in full disclosure. Sheeple will be roundup and steered and like it i guess. To each thier own....:)

http://www.htloz.net/forums/images/smilies/awesome/hurr.gif

AK_Stick
10-11-2012, 00:45

What popular AR-15 companies own forums?

GSSF17
10-11-2012, 06:14
PSA has never screwed anything up in any (dozens) of my orders. Tracking says my latest order should arrive today. We'll see if I am still batting 1000 with them when the brown truck gets here.......

DaleGribble
10-11-2012, 08:44
I've had good luck ordering uppers from PSA, twice and will order another one soon.

Accessories orders are a different story. I ordered three Romanian 40 Rd AK mags. One had a stuck follower so I called the "compliance guy" and he promised to send me a return label. One month later and I haven't seen it yet. I ordered an STR build kit in black. They sent me FDE, no response on that either.

If I ever get a bad upper like Hour13 did I'm gonna walk into there store with it and refuse to leave until the issue is fixed! There is no excuse for sending out something like that.

Tango 1Zero
10-11-2012, 08:52
Always had good luck with PSA and plan on buying a couple of uppers this spring from them.

glock031
10-11-2012, 09:33
What popular AR-15 companies own forums?

M4carbine forums are owned by Grant Timberlake and Paul Buffoni the owner of BCM.................

Now question for you. Wouldn't you expect full disclosure in a matter like this?

Don't take my word for it ask the lawyer and owner of ar15.com about who owns m4c. It was he who posted this information and i believe he is wise enough (being a lawyer) not to post false info in a public forum.

Not the first time this has been posted.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1375889_Other_sites_slamming_PSA_.html&page=1

glock031
10-11-2012, 09:52
http://www.htloz.net/forums/images/smilies/awesome/hurr.gif

Whatever son.

That really adds to the discussion?

humanguerrilla
10-11-2012, 10:23
N 5,000 plus satisfied customers on ar15 without complaints. What gives? :whistling:

Ar15.com? Maybe check PSA industry forum sometimes.

GSSF17
10-11-2012, 12:46
Order came in just a bit ago.

Everything included, and everything as it should be. :supergrin:

Now, you guys can get back to arguing.

NeverMore1701
10-11-2012, 12:52
Whatever son.

That really adds to the discussion?

As much as anything you've posted.

Big Bird
10-11-2012, 13:00
I've got two PSA barrels and have been impressed with the accuracy of both. I've ordered several other small items form them off the PSA sale page from time to time and while their shipping isn't lightning fast I got everything I have ordered within 10 days. Hell, Ive waited a month for stuff ordered off the Noveski and Larue websites... PSA did send me the wrong length barrel once but took care of it promptly and at no cost to myself. I've gotten messed up orders from Brownells, Midway, Wilson Combat, Spikes and others. It happens.

I'll use PSA again. I especially like their barrels.

BCM is good too.

michael_b
10-11-2012, 13:59
Order came in just a bit ago.

Everything included, and everything as it should be. :supergrin:

Now, you guys can get back to arguing.

Well said! Lol I like PSA, plan on using them again. My PSA upper is pretty darn accurate- even though I'm not.

-On mobile

cowboy1964
10-11-2012, 15:00
I shot my 16" middy PSA yesterday for the first time. I was slightly more accurate than I ever was with my M&P 15. But I also have the MIAD grip on it now. It's also been awhile since I've shot the AR and I tend to be more accurate at first after being away from shooting for awhile, for some reason.

I zeroed the middy dead-on with three 3-shot groups, both EoTech and irons at the same time, so I'm getting pretty good at that process. I use a bore laser to get it close initially.

mvician
10-11-2012, 16:33
M4carbine forums are owned by Grant Timberlake and Paul Buffoni the owner of BCM.................

Now question for you. Wouldn't you expect full disclosure in a matter like this?

Don't take my word for it ask the lawyer and owner of ar15.com about who owns m4c. It was he who posted this information and i believe he is wise enough (being a lawyer) not to post false info in a public forum.

Not the first time this has been posted.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1375889_Other_sites_slamming_PSA_.html&page=1

If you are referring to this..........

Originally Posted By Aimless

If you mean M4carbine it's owned by GandR Tactical (Grant Timberlake) and Bravo Company (Paul Buffoni) and run by Grant 'kicked off arfkom" Timberlake and Paul 'I got kicked off Arfkom too" Hotaling. Grant obviously is a Bravo Co dealer and Paul works for Alias Training and Security, which I think is owned by Bravo Company

Aimless is site staff, not the owner.

glock031
10-11-2012, 18:02
If you are referring to this..........

Aimless is site staff, not the owner.

Yea that be it..........

My bad, seen him refered to as the ar15.com owner. But his message still stands.

Trey83
10-11-2012, 18:03
Fact is my real world expierence with PSA differs from yours. I bought three complete uppers, 3 stripped lowers, 4 LPK's, 1 BCG and numerous other ar15 parts, plus multiple ammo orders. I never had a missing item. Never had to wait more than two weeks plus a day. All my PSA assembles run like sewing machines. Not one malfunction yet out of thousands of rounds fired.

The 30% PSA complaint ratio is only here not anywhere else. I find that odd. Yes there are some valid complaints but considering the shear volume they do these complaints are only a fraction and mostly shipping/missing item errors. The complaints regarding uppers or whole rifles having failures are almost non existent except for the 30% here. That was the point i was trying to make. The complaint ratio is extremely high here and here only.

Sorry bout your luck........
Fact is if any rifle is assembled correctly with proper "spec" componets of proper testing and materials and function tested. It would be accepted as standard, regardless of brand.

Who is the fanboy? :laughabove: Psa fanboy much?

Three of my last four orders from PSA had issues (missing parts from two different lpk's). I used to highly recommend them but lately they have too many issues. I am not saying PSA is all bad but I DON'T recommend them for people that aren't willing to be patient with shipping and correcting issues. They will fix their mistakes eventually.

And here is some of my PSA hardware for anybody thinking I'm just a big hater.
http://i458.photobucket.com/albums/qq301/whitestang04/My Guns/IMG_0365.jpg

glock031
10-11-2012, 18:43
Who is the fanboy? :laughabove: Psa fanboy much?

Three of my last four orders from PSA had issues (missing parts from two different lpk's). I used to highly recommend them but lately they have too many issues. I am not saying PSA is all bad but I DON'T recommend them for people that aren't willing to be patient with shipping and correcting issues. They will fix their mistakes eventually.

Fanboy may have been a over statement . But I never read any posts about how great my Colt, Spikes or PSA rifles smell. Or the owner is the just the Nicest guy in the world. Yea BCM has fanbois as well like it or not. Carry on .

My message was clear and i showed my source.

GSSF17
10-11-2012, 19:48
Hey, I was kidding when I said get back to arguing......:rofl:

Cole125
10-11-2012, 20:09
They will fix their mistakes eventually.

That statement is debatable. They made no effort to fix my and Hour13s uppers, and we are not the only ones they screwed. For those of you who have had good luck with PSA, congrats.

Personally when I spend my money, I don't want to gamble on wether or not I am going to get a quality product with no issues or wether or not my order is going to be correct. Thats BS and unacceptable.

Chuck66
10-11-2012, 21:24

Everything else aside, I love that carbine with the Magpul furniture. That's exactly what I have in mind. Very nice. Did you buy that as a complete rifle?

TunaFisherman
10-11-2012, 22:19
I bought a PSA upper during the labor day sale. Shipping was fast . Upper has zero issues. Mounted on a spare BCM lower and running a BCM bcg.
I also have several BCM and Colt rifles. BCM also has great shipping and I have had zero issues with anything I have bought from them.
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=BCOM is a great source of BCM guns and parts too . The best CS in my opinion
I may be wrong but PSA is a posting member on M4.. One must read everything and make ones own decisions. I think PSA grew to fast and were not prepared for such a huge volume of sales. I hope they fix this problem soon because the over all amount of complaints is small compared to the good things said. Several of my friends own PSA uppers and are very happy with them.

HAIL CAESAR
10-12-2012, 03:19
Couple dozen PSA orders as to date. So far zero issues.

Trey83
10-12-2012, 18:55
That statement is debatable. They made no effort to fix my and Hour13s uppers, and we are not the only ones they screwed. For those of you who have had good luck with PSA, congrats.

Personally when I spend my money, I don't want to gamble on wether or not I am going to get a quality product with no issues or wether or not my order is going to be correct. Thats BS and unacceptable.
I agree. You are the only ones I've heard of that PSA didn't resolve the issue. That's concerning if they are starting to get a ******** it attitude toward the issues they do make.

The last half dozen orders I've placed with them, I've been willing to chance it because I trusted them to fix any issues.

Everything else aside, I love that carbine with the Magpul furniture. That's exactly what I have in mind. Very nice. Did you buy that as a complete rifle?
Thank you. I bought it as a complete upper, LBK, and stripped lower and assembled it myself. It is a great rifle. That rifle comprised my first 2-3 orders from them and all were without issue. That was a little over a year ago.

Kcolg
10-13-2012, 07:11
I've ordered and assembled 9 PSA rifles so far with no issues. Latest one arrived yesterday and was my longest wait time of 15 days. I have 6 more strpped PSA lowers still waiting to be built as overtime checks flow in and at this point they will be PSA rifles when complete. I've read complaints but out of 12 seperate orders and 9 complete rifles I've not experienced any issues.

For another company to check with good prices sometimes is HamLundTactical.com I've ordered parts from them and shipping is like $6 flat rate or free if over $150.