Need advice on trying fish to eat for the first time [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on trying fish to eat for the first time

Snaps
10-11-2012, 02:43
Long story short, right now I"m 33 years old but when I was about 10 years old my family was on vacation at the beach, I tried some crab and came a little too close to dying for comfort. After that I never ate anything that swimmed except gator.

Wellllll turns out as of this week (allergist) I'm no longer allergic, so Im trying to figure out what would be a good kinda fish or seafood or whatever to try.

I know i always hear people eating Cod, but I'm looking for ideas, something that's generally very good.

Hicksville Kid
10-11-2012, 03:05
Anchovies, kippered Herring, Lox and tuna in a can would be a good start. I don't care for much else in the line of fish. Oh, yeah, fish and chips would be good. I think that's cod usually in a good restaurant.

mike g35
10-11-2012, 03:17
Long story short, right now I"m 33 years old but when I was about 10 years old my family was on vacation at the beach, I tried some crab and came a little too close to dying for comfort. After that I never ate anything that swimmed except gator.

Wellllll turns out as of this week (allergist) I'm no longer allergic, so Im trying to figure out what would be a good kinda fish or seafood or whatever to try.

I know i always hear people eating Cod, but I'm looking for ideas, something that's generally very good.

Orange roughy is a good white fish, swordfish or tuna is also good but its a darker meat.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

G-Lock808
10-11-2012, 03:39
Tuna sandwich.

Arc Angel
10-11-2012, 03:58
Might not have been the crab; it could have been the restaurant that served it to you. :supergrin:

Just so you know, any WHITE COLORED fish flesh that comes from a FISH WITH SCALES contains no purines, and is very good for inveterate meat-eaters to ingest and give their digestive systems a break for awhile by allowing their bodies to detox.

Personally, I don't eat a lot of meat; and I avoid certain vegetables (like potatoes). I consider the popular national diet to be absolutely poisonous! (Looks like the Mosaic dietary laws weren't so far off after all - Doesn't it.) ;)

Geeorge
10-11-2012, 04:01
Salmon Patties are my favorite

Blast
10-11-2012, 04:35
Cod, haddock, ocean perch, Albacore tuna are good starts.

schild
10-11-2012, 04:45
Time to embrace your fears, go have a giant platter of sushi.

LAWDOGKMS
10-11-2012, 05:19
Salmon..

Blast
10-11-2012, 05:22
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Jh3iYJ-Ht1k/T3r0AOGzwaI/AAAAAAAAAEU/cYGch0LUQnU/s1600/fish_dinner.jpg

Big Bird
10-11-2012, 05:56
Its kind of like saying I can now eat meat--what meat should I try?

Too many choices to give you a good reply.

Nobody does fresh fish better than the Japanese. Sushi is subtle, delicate, and extremely delicious. The first time you try it your preconception about raw fish will forever be erased.

Try a meaty fish like swordfish or tuna grilled with some minimal seasoning--its like eating a steak!

I take an inexpensive white fish like Tilapia and slowly braise it in butter. Decadent and easy to do.

Fried fish is good too...but often overcooked thin pieces of fish that don't do the dish justice.

Try some nice Salmon Lox (cured salmon) with some capers and lemon on a bagel with cream cheese.

Try some of the better canned tuna in olive oil on a salad with some calamatta olives and a fresh tomato from the garden with a light vinagrette and some crusty bread.

DARKSHADOW
10-11-2012, 06:11
Grouper. :eat:

Gun Shark
10-11-2012, 06:14
Its kind of like saying I can now eat meat--what meat should I try?

Too many choices to give you a good reply.

Nobody does fresh fish better than the Japanese. Sushi is subtle, delicate, and extremely delicious. The first time you try it your preconception about raw fish will forever be erased.

Try a meaty fish like swordfish or tuna grilled with some minimal seasoning--its like eating a steak!

I take an inexpensive white fish like Tilapia and slowly braise it in butter. Decadent and easy to do.

Fried fish is good too...but often overcooked thin pieces of fish that don't do the dish justice.

Try some nice Salmon Lox (cured salmon) with some capers and lemon on a bagel with cream cheese.

Try some of the better canned tuna in olive oil on a salad with some calamatta olives and a fresh tomato from the garden with a light vinagrette and some crusty bread.

This, though I hate canned tuna and lox with a passion.

Tackle
10-11-2012, 06:22
Lutefisk. Will make you a happy man.

JBnTX
10-11-2012, 06:25
Fried Catfish!

:eat:

Forget all that "girlie" fish like sushi and lox.
Eat some fried catfish.

GLWyandotte
10-11-2012, 06:37
Sea Bass, Halibut, Walleye are all mild and very good.
For a first time fish eater, I wouldn't be eating anchovies, sardines, kippers, mackeral, bluefish- all very oily and strong; not a good starting point.

glock_19guy1983
10-11-2012, 06:40
Fried Catfish

Radam3
10-11-2012, 06:43
I'm not one for much of any seafood. With that said, PERCH is an excellent place to start imo. A few other that have already been listed i enjoy every once in a while. Most though, i wouldn't touch. But to each their own... good luck. New foods are always fun!

Before you can lead, you must refuse to follow

JJohnson
10-11-2012, 07:13
I love a nice piece of cod, halibut, or lightly seared tuna.

I also love sushi, but work yourself into it slowly if interested. Stay away from the unagi, mackerel, and other oily fish.

toshbar
10-11-2012, 07:38
How do you figure out that you will not be allergic to something at the end of the week?

Arc Angel
10-11-2012, 07:41
How do you figure out that you will not be allergic to something at the end of the week?

I don't know; but I've never heard of a food allergy being either cumulative or delayed. Any adverse food reaction I've ever had always started right away.

Chaos
10-11-2012, 07:45
Lotta ppl allergic to shellfish, but not normal fish.
Just make sure you know if you have a reaction of shellfish at all. The 2 are very different.
As for fish...I would make it sushi...any sushi. best thing in the world imho.

Chaos

heyTJ
10-11-2012, 08:11
Oysters from Wellfleet.

itstime
10-11-2012, 08:16
I'm not one for much of any seafood. With that said, PERCH is an excellent place to start imo. A few other that have already been listed i enjoy every once in a while. Most though, i wouldn't touch. But to each their own... good luck. New foods are always fun!

Before you can lead, you must refuse to follow

Fresh Perch is really good. A can of Tuna would be the easiest. I eat it with Mayo.

GLWyandotte
10-11-2012, 08:31
Fresh Perch is really good. A can of Tina would be the easiest. I eat it with Mayo.

Who's Tina and what's she look like?

itstime
10-11-2012, 09:03
Who's Tina and what's she look like?

Oops.... Fixed it.

Rutha73
10-11-2012, 09:26
Anything that comes out of the sea is great! To start I would go with something mild like halibut or tilapia. Just go to a nicer restraunt that will do a good job of cooking it. Getting it cooked right is the most important part! Enjoy!

TBO
10-11-2012, 09:43
Salmon
Tuna
Marlin
Sea bass
Mahi Mahi
Walleye
Trout

As suggested, you may want to try them in a respected restaurant before making at home.

Sent from the capacitor of my Taser using Tapatalk 2

robin303
10-11-2012, 09:50
Fried Catfish

:agree: Try that out first :cool:

Snaps
10-11-2012, 11:39

actually found out tuesday. I got one of those everything in the world tests, and as of my 33rd year the only thing on the earth I'm allergic too is dust mites.

Mrs.Cicero
10-11-2012, 12:24
Fresh Rainbow Trout is still my favorite.

Dennis in MA
10-11-2012, 12:29

LOL. Cruel man, cruel.

I was thinking that fish if they don't prepare it right can kill you. THAT'S a good first start. Live through that and it won't matter what you eat after.

Goldendog Redux
10-11-2012, 12:40
A quick google search and I found these two places in Pittsburgh.

http://www.pennavefishcompany.com/menu_strip.html

http://www.bigburrito.com/kaya/food/index.shtml

They seem to get good reviews.

If you really have zero experience eating fish try and find a good restaurant that serves good, fresh fish. You could ease into it with fish tacos or something but a nice seared tuna steak is really delicious. Don't ruin your shot with garbage, not fresh fish at some two bit restaurant.

MF

LSUAdman
10-11-2012, 12:53
Honestly, anything. I grew up on the coast, and I wont live anywhere where I can't get to the coast in less than two hours.

Someone said fried catfish - I'd add to that fried shrimp and cod as well. Both are easy to get, tasty and ....well tasty.

Salmon is great smoked or grilled - but of all the fish eaters I know, this is the fish the most of them dont like. Beats me...I could eat it every day.

Tuna and Swordfish are great, hearty fish. You could easily replace a steak on your meal with one of these and not walk away upset.

But with anything, it all has to do with how it's prepared. If you like Italian, try something with olive oil or baked with parmesan, etc.

Woofie
10-11-2012, 13:00
McDonalds Filet O Fish.

MtBaldy
10-11-2012, 13:02
I grew up on the coast and was used to either seafood we caught or knew had been swimming in the sea that morning. My favorites are probably snapper, grouper, pompano, and dolphin. Done right, cod as fish and chips is pretty hard to beat and probably a good introduction.

MtBaldy
10-11-2012, 13:03
McDonalds Filet O Fish.

You want him to swear off eating fish ever again, don't you?

jp3975
10-11-2012, 13:04
If you try sushi, make sure its at a nice Japanese place and not a Chinese buffet. Buffet sushi is usually crap in my experience.

Try sashimi...Super white, yellow tail, or toro. You cant not love it.

If not Japanese...go to a nice seafood restaurant and try anything. Id recommend grouper or maybe dorado.

stevelyn
10-11-2012, 13:15
Cod cut up into 2x2 chunks, dipped in thinned beer-batter, rolled in panko coating and deep fried. Serve with steak fries and sprikle both with malt vinegar.

Bilbo Bagins
10-11-2012, 13:30
Get Mahi Mahi, it has the texture of chicken and not that much of a "fishy" taste.

Fried Calamari...yes its squid...but I had my nephew who never ate fish before eat half a plate of it because we told him it was onion rings.

Personally I love Sea Bass. If cooked right God its good, like eating butter that the Virgin Mary churned.

Tuna, Salmon, and Swordfish are also good.

el_jewapo
10-11-2012, 13:33
A lot of strong flavors mentioned for a new comer. Might want to ease into it with fried catfish like a couple others have mentioned. You'll have the texture of fish to get used to without an overpowering fishy taste to go with it. Try it with tarter sauce, hot sauce, and plain. Just try to find out a decent place for it around you. Try that and some shrimp. Then dive into other stuff.

Drilled
10-11-2012, 13:34
Don't eat any bottom feeding fish.

Try wild caught Cod, Halibut, Salmon, Red Snapper, Grouper.

certifiedfunds
10-11-2012, 13:43
Anything that comes out of the sea is great! To start I would go with something mild like halibut or tilapia. Just go to a nicer restraunt that will do a good job of cooking it. Getting it cooked right is the most important part! Enjoy!

Tilapia doesn't come out of the sea. 99% of it comes out of ponds on fish farms in the 3rd world. Some of those fish farms have raw sewerage pumped into them. I refuse to eat it and I'll eat a lot.

OP - Go large or go home: Chilean Sea Bass.......you'll swear it has butter for blood.

LSUAdman
10-11-2012, 14:10
Some of those fish farms have raw sewerage pumped into them.

Does that cause autism? :rofl:

SGT HATRED
10-11-2012, 14:13
I'll shout it from the roof tops, patagonian toothfish!!!!!. You will not be disapointed.

mhill
10-11-2012, 14:25
I'd go to a nice Pub and order the fish and chips with a nice brew. Good for starters.

fallenangelhim
10-11-2012, 14:33
Try plain grilled salmon. Smoked salmon or lox may be too strong. Snapper or grouper is great pan seared. Tuna and swordfish are too meaty and dry for me but may be to your liking.

Sent from my Android

captainstormy
10-11-2012, 14:34
Honestly, just try whatever looks/smells/sounds good. There are probably more varying tastes in seafood then any other type of food.

I'd say go to your local seafood eatery and get some sort of combo platter or something and just start trying things.

MtBaldy
10-11-2012, 14:45
I'll shout it from the roof tops, patagonian toothfish!!!!!. You will not be disapointed.

Yeah, but it will probably be on the menu as "Chilean Sea Bass". And yes it is delicious. One of the best meals my wife and I ever had together was "Chilean Sea Bass" at 95 Cordova in St. Augustine. Dinner wasn't even marred by me ordering a $20.00 glass of cognac after without asking about the price. Enjoyed every drop though.

97XJ_Sport
10-11-2012, 14:59
Fried catfish with a little hot sauce and ranch, mmmmmmm. Most types of shrimp, salmon, bass, Scallops.

Hines57
10-11-2012, 15:26
First time trying fish - go with something white and flakey. They are usually the most mild flavored. Would be a good introduction.

I would stay away from the stronger flavored ones right off.

SGT HATRED
10-11-2012, 15:26
Yeah, but it will probably be on the menu as "Chilean Sea Bass". And yes it is delicious. One of the best meals my wife and I ever had together was "Chilean Sea Bass" at 95 Cordova in St. Augustine. Dinner wasn't even marred by me ordering a $20.00 glass of cognac after without asking about the price. Enjoyed every drop though.

You sir are correct. Chillean sea bass is a marketing gimmick. Sometimes it will be Patagonian toothfish but more often it won't. Just be sure to ask your waiter...

The Fist Of Goodness
10-11-2012, 15:34
Roast Leg of Mermaid (you have to trick them into growing legs first), or Krakken scallops.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

certifiedfunds
10-11-2012, 16:08
Does that cause autism? :rofl:

If I believe it so doesn't that make it so?

certifiedfunds
10-11-2012, 16:10
You sir are correct. Chillean sea bass is a marketing gimmick. Sometimes it will be Patagonian toothfish but more often it won't. Just be sure to ask your waiter...

I Order a slab of it 2-3x a year. Cut it into steaks and vac pack it.

Clutch Cargo
10-11-2012, 16:29
Fried catfish with hushpuppies

SGT HATRED
10-11-2012, 16:57
I Order a slab of it 2-3x a year. Cut it into steaks and vac pack it.

I swear we've had this conversation before...

certifiedfunds
10-11-2012, 16:59
I swear we've had this conversation before...

Deja veux all over again.

PuroMexicano
10-11-2012, 17:22
Tuna tartare

http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/mt/assets/food/robbins_tartare_6-7_post.jpg

Tuna japanese style with soy sauce

http://s3.amazonaws.com/foodspotting-ec2/reviews/1480543/thumb_600.jpg?1332315207

Roasted Poblano Salmon

http://allseasonscuisine.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/polbano-012.jpg?w=1024&h=800

Snaps
10-11-2012, 19:12
Tried a bit of salmon at dinner today, I wasn't at all impressed.

certifiedfunds
10-11-2012, 19:20

Salmon is disgusting. Don't let it stop you.

el_jewapo
10-11-2012, 19:37
Salmon can range from amazing to disgusting, depending on the cooking method or lack there of.

certifiedfunds
10-11-2012, 19:39
Salmon can range from amazing to disgusting, depending on the cooking method or lack there of.

I've probably never had well-prepared salmon. That's fair. I just find it incredibly 'fishy'

el_jewapo
10-11-2012, 19:43
I've probably never had well-prepared salmon. That's fair. I just find it incredibly 'fishy'

Sounds over cooked.

Bruce M
10-11-2012, 20:19
.... My favorites are probably snapper, grouper, pompano, and dolphin. ....

Flipper? Flipper!!? You would eat FLIPPER?? :whistling:

:couch:

Bilbo Bagins
10-11-2012, 20:54

They want to do a similar marketing name change for the invasive asian carp :rofl:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/22/us/22carp.html?_r=0

I think if it was called "toothfish" I would have never tried Sea Bass.

Bilbo Bagins
10-11-2012, 20:56
Flipper? Flipper!!? You would eat FLIPPER?? :whistling:

:couch:

I ate dolphin once, with ivory inlay fork, while wearing my penguin skin shoes.

SGT HATRED
10-11-2012, 22:13
They want to do a similar marketing name change for the invasive asian carp :rofl:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/22/us/22carp.html?_r=0

I think if it was called "toothfish" I would have never tried Sea Bass.

Silver carp, with a texture and taste of scalps and crab? I'd give that a shot any day...

Bilbo Bagins
10-12-2012, 07:37
Silver carp, with a texture and taste of scalps and crab? I'd give that a shot any day...

It should be cheap too, since they are easy to catch.

http://www.didson.com/FM/FM_AsianCarp-flying_FL.gif

tantrix
10-12-2012, 08:23
Salmon is disgusting. Don't let it stop you.

This. Salmon is waaaay overrated. I can cook the hell out of fish, but salmon is just never good.

Now, if you want to try a fish with pink meat like a salmon but 10x better, go with Steelhead (trout). I cooked a couple pieces for some Yankees one time and they said it was the best piece of salmon they had ever had. :rofl:

LSUAdman
10-12-2012, 08:30
This. Salmon is waaaay overrated. I can cook the hell out of fish, but salmon is just never good.

Now, if you want to try a fish with pink meat like a salmon but 10x better, go with Steelhead (trout). I cooked a couple pieces for some Yankees one time and they said it was the best piece of salmon they had ever had. :rofl:

I wonder if it's not a La thing that I never developed. My entire family hates Salmon, but my wife and I almost have to have it once a week.

I picked up a nice side of sockeye last night, and it's going on the grill this afternoon. Some olive oil, garlic salt, my seven pepper blend and some rosemary. Serves with some steamed rice - YUM.

Oh well, leaves more for us!

tongix
10-12-2012, 08:31
Round eyed scad my favorite.

tantrix
10-12-2012, 08:41
I wonder if it's not a La thing that I never developed. My entire family hates Salmon, but my wife and I almost have to have it once a week.

I picked up a nice side of sockeye last night, and it's going on the grill this afternoon. Some olive oil, garlic salt, my seven pepper blend and some rosemary. Serves with some steamed rice - YUM.

Oh well, leaves more for us!

I eat this about twice a week...all other days are occupied by catfish, oyster, crawfish, and shrimp.

Pan-fried Red Snapper filet (half)
Garlic-chive butter sauce
Asparagus spears
Portobello mushrooms
Fresh artichoke hearts

Veggies tossed in olive oil, rosemary, garlic, kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa193/glockthirty/IMG_0224.jpg

Al Czervik
10-12-2012, 08:54
As someone new to fish, you should stick to mild, white fleshed fish. As previously noted, Patagonian toothfish is great. But, so are others, like flounder, sole, black cod, halibut, branzino, grouper, snapper, etc. Fish is best prepared simply. Attempts at restaurants to complicate fish are merely trying to mask the flavor of bad fish.
Salmon at most markets, especially big chain supermarkets is awful stuff. I love fresh pacific salmon, but can't stand farmed atlantic salmon. It is, for all intensive purposes, discusting. *sorry, I just had to

ChuteTheMall
10-12-2012, 09:06
Surimi

:fishing:

LSUAdman
10-12-2012, 10:30
I eat this about twice a week...all other days are occupied by catfish, oyster, crawfish, and shrimp.

Pan-fried Red Snapper filet (half)
Garlic-chive butter sauce
Asparagus spears
Portobello mushrooms
Fresh artichoke hearts

Veggies tossed in olive oil, rosemary, garlic, kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa193/glockthirty/IMG_0224.jpg

Tantrix, that looks amazing. I dont do Snapper as often as I'd like (not cheap in Tx!), but when I do I bake it with a parmesan crust and then a little lemon-garlic butter. So worth the coronary clogging goodness!

jjslice
10-12-2012, 10:34
grouper, redfish. and not from chain restaurants. most that stuff is frozen

MtBaldy
10-12-2012, 11:22

If you can get your hands on some fresh wild caught salmon you should give that a try. The difference between farm raised and wild salmon is amazing. My wife's favorite method is to wrap a serving size chunk of wild salmon in aluminum foil. Before you seal it up put a little salt and pepper on the fish then some thinly sliced sweet onions, a little bit of chopped dill, a squeeze of lemon juice and a thin slice of lemon, and top it all with a pat of butter. Seal the package up and bake it at 350 for 15-20 minutes. If you don't like that then you just don't like salmon.

ChuteTheMall
10-12-2012, 11:24
Confront your fears.

Swallow live goldfish.

Post the video.

:drowning:

jjslice
11-12-2012, 19:38
Anything fresh. So pretty much nothing from a chain restaurant

*ASH*
11-12-2012, 19:46
largemouth moccasin or Arbor fish

RWBlue
11-12-2012, 20:32

How was it fixed?
What didn't you like about it?

Fish may not be for you, but I will try to walk you into something you will like or tell you that your not going to like fish.

*ASH*
11-12-2012, 20:38
i dunno how folks eat Tilapia , damn thing is nothing but a carp

jame
11-12-2012, 21:41

You BASTARD.

He didn't say he was Scandinavian. He didn't say that Grandma insisted you have some at Christmas dinner. He didn't say that I hated it when........I mean he hated it....oh, never mind.

Don't do lutefisk. Not even if Grandma insists.

tantrix
11-12-2012, 22:30

Come over...I'll make you love Tilapia when I'm done with it. :cool:

*ASH*
11-12-2012, 22:36
Come over...I'll make you love Tilapia when I'm done with it. :cool:

hmm cool . :wavey:

Folsom_Prison
11-12-2012, 22:43
Crappie or catfish, that's how I roll!

Steel Head
11-12-2012, 22:43
Sea Bass, Halibut, Walleye are all mild and very good.
For a first time fish eater, I wouldn't be eating anchovies, sardines, kippers, mackeral, bluefish- all very oily and strong; not a good starting point.

This is a great list
Halibut cheeks:eat:
Sea bass in a lemon,pine nut and basil rub:faint:
Beer battered Walleye is the acceptable crack cocaine:wavey:

tantrix
11-12-2012, 22:45
hmm cool . :wavey:

I admit, Tilapia isn't my first pick either (I'd rather Red Snapper, Catfish, etc) but I cook it differently too so it's probably a locale thing. If we can do anything down in South LA, it's cook, drink, and play music. Tilapia is no problem. :thumbsup:

Hines57
11-12-2012, 22:58
I love fresh pacific salmon, but can't stand farmed atlantic salmon.
Took me a while to learn to like the taste of Salmon. I grew up on canned salmon turned into fish patties. :ack:

When I moved to Oregon to open a restaurant I tried some Pacific Salmon. Wow, what a difference. And the indian's smoked salmon, awesome stuff.

Batesmotel
11-13-2012, 08:45

Worse. It came from Africa and it's native diet is hippopotamus poop. It is popular because it is farm raised on grains and food waste. Not raised on fish products like some other species.

fallenangelhim
12-08-2012, 19:21
Open the legs and dive in.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Gun Shark
12-08-2012, 19:24
Open the legs and dive in.

Better ask for permission first. :whistling:

cangler
12-08-2012, 20:34
I love rainbow trout!

Hamguy
12-08-2012, 20:49
Whitefish or lake perch. Both mild but very tasty.

RWBlue
12-08-2012, 21:18
Had some commercially breaded flounder tonight. Very good, not fishy at all.

If you don't like fish, then I suggest staying away from batter breading. I had some last week that wasn't good, and I like fish.

czsmithGT
12-08-2012, 21:51
For lunch I would recommend whatever is fresh at the Monterey Bay Fish Grotto on Mount Washington. It is a bit pricy for dinner but not too bad for lunch. I had the trout there and it was very good.

Alternative would be either Benkovitz Seafood or Penn Avenue Fish Company in the Strip District for a Cod Sandwich. Both have some reasonably priced and tasty fish.

G17Jake
12-08-2012, 22:09
Tilapia doesn't come out of the sea. 99% of it comes out of ponds on fish farms in the 3rd world. Some of those fish farms have raw sewerage pumped into them. I refuse to eat it and I'll eat a lot.

I won't eat Tilapia either.

czsmithGT
12-08-2012, 22:11

OP - Go large or go home: Chilean Sea Bass.......you'll swear it has butter for blood.

Even if you can get some not raised in some Chinese sewage plant, they still probably are not a good choice. But they are relatively tasteless, so I guess that is why they are selling like hotcakes.

http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/2010/01/farmed-tilapia-good-for-the-environment-bad-for-you.html

czsmithGT
12-08-2012, 22:19
There is an epidemic of mis-labeled fish in this country. This story is typical:

http://www.boston.com/business/gallery/fish_restaurants/

I read not too long ago that something like 70% of the stuff sold at Sushi restaurants in Los Angeles were found to be mislabeled.

jr05
12-09-2012, 07:45
I would think a marinated swordfish steak would be a good choice, just don't overcook it or it will get dry. (also, don't under-cook it haha).

Another would probably be pan cooked trout breaded with either corn meal or a flour mixture. Tasty and mild, just look up how to eat it before cooking it, or you will be pulling tiny bones out while you eat. Not hard to prevent this by pulling the meat off correctly.

Good luck on your first dive back into fish. I would still recommend eating it with somebody handy in case your doctor isn't spot on with his diagnosis.

686Owner
12-09-2012, 07:59
I don't like fish, but I tried Ono once and it was pretty good. Just a taste of it though. Might be hard to find in Pittsburgh though.

railfancwb
12-09-2012, 08:03
I like Rainbow trout, among others. Cracker Barrel routinely offers it in a meat and three for under $10 in my area. Tuna and salmon steaks are also good. None seem overly "fishy tasting" to me.

RonS
12-09-2012, 09:17
Don't eat much fish now, no one around here can get it fresh or cook it right. During my year in Taiwan that was a different thing but I have no idea what I was eating. :)

Best fish I ever had was smoked Northern Pike. Caught in the morning, smoked and eaten for supper. Old gent who lived year round on Sugar Island in Michigan smoked it. Tender and lightly golden and tasted like heaven. Having the head on was a bit off putting for a teenager but I got over it after the first bite.

Love the Salmon patties at Medi Care Lounge too. Plain salmon is a bit strong for me.

Good luck, have fun, there is so much variety you will be at it for a while.