The religious factor in this election. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : The religious factor in this election.

frank4570
10-11-2012, 09:25
It really is kind of interesting listening to the religious people in my area. The more hard core christians won't vote for romney because they consider a mormon to not be a christian. The less hard core types are kind of torn between voting for a devout mormon, or a christian-in-name-only.
I'm not christian so I'm not in this discussion.

Is it just me or are most people treating this election as a bigger deal than past election?

Snowman92D
10-11-2012, 09:32
I sincerely hope people are treating this election as a bigger deal than most...but I've yet to hear anyone mention religion being an issue. It's more a Marxist versus a non-Marxist...even if the non-Marxist happens to be a Mormon.

JBnTX
10-11-2012, 09:38
Most people don't care that Romney's a Mormon and they don't buy into the "real Christian" argument.

Economics is what's driving this election, not religion.

JFrame
10-11-2012, 09:40
The sense I'm getting is that most people aren't even aware of his religion, and if they are, they could give a flying frak.

Snowman92D
10-11-2012, 09:47
The sense I'm getting is that most people aren't even aware of his religion, and if they are, they could give a flying frak.

I know...the religion "issue" is just more of the Marxists throwing mud at the wall. They're hoping desperately that something will stick and people will start thinking about what Romney might do...and quit paying attention to what Hussein is doing. I doubt the OP even knows anyone who goes to church. :rofl:

frank4570
10-11-2012, 09:47
I was in church, and at a church based dinner for these conversations.

Snowman92D
10-11-2012, 09:49
Yeah, I know...and this is the internet.

Brucev
10-11-2012, 10:14
Christians do not live in a vacuum. In politics, believers must like everyone else make choices few of which are absolutely preferred. In Nov. Christians must choose between two candidates, one of whom is less than one would hope for, the other of which is fatally flawed. Neither can be said to resonate with the ideals of Christian faith. But, those are the only choices anyone has, Christians and non-Christians. Everyone will have to make the best decision they can.

As to Romney's personal religious faith, he has not made it an issue. Not surprisingly those who opposed his candidacy have sought to make it problematic. Few have taken such concerns seriously. The squatter have stated that he is a professing Christian. He statements are no where near as convincing as those made by President Carter, "I am a born again Christian." His failures in office and not his less than convincing faith are the great and abiding hindrance to his re-election. That's the way it should be.

MAC702
10-11-2012, 10:16
Most people don't care that Romney's a Mormon ...

If a non-controversial Christian were his opponent, it would be talked about daily.

But no one wants to talk about Obama's religion, either...

Guss
10-11-2012, 10:31
Quite a few religions teach their children that this is a cult to be avoided. If they turn around and give it an air of respectability by voting for Romney, it looks like they've sold their soul to the Devil.

rtl
10-11-2012, 10:39
i'm hardcore 'religious', AND i think mormonism is a cult......and i will be voting romney. it couldn't be less of an issue to me or anyone i know

Snowman92D
10-11-2012, 10:51
Quite a few religions teach their children that this is a cult to be avoided.

Not sure that these "quite a few religions" exist anywhere but in that hive mind that you share with other Hussein supporters. Seems to me that Hussein's "G-d Damn America" and "Behead those who insult Islam" religion has cornered the market on hatred and political intolerance.

Or...am I only supposed to talk about Romney's religion? :whistling:

JBnTX
10-11-2012, 11:14
Quite a few religions teach their children that this is a cult to be avoided....

Quite a few "Christians" teach their children that Mormonism is a cult to be avoided. The other religions, except for Judaism and Islam, are in fact cults themselves.

Bren
10-11-2012, 11:17
Is it just me or are most people treating this election as a bigger deal than past election?

It's just you. It's like this every 4 years.

series1811
10-11-2012, 11:51

It's just you.

series1811
10-11-2012, 11:52
Quite a few religions teach their children that this is a cult to be avoided. If they turn around and give it an air of respectability by voting for Romney, it looks like they've sold their soul to the Devil.

And, just when you think anti-Romney posts can't get any stupider. :supergrin:

JFrame
10-11-2012, 12:53
Not sure that these "quite a few religions" exist anywhere but in that hive mind that you share with other Hussein supporters. Seems to me that Hussein's "G-d Damn America" and "Behead those who insult Islam" religion has cornered the market on hatred and political intolerance.

Or...am I only supposed to talk about Romney's religion? :whistling:

Yeah -- I love sweeping generalities with no substance... Especially quantitative BS like "quite a few..." :upeyes:

countrygun
10-11-2012, 13:06
It just isn't an issue in our community. Very few "liberal" churchgoers here all pretty much conservatives in that crowd and I have yet to meet one that was unsure, at all, that Romney wasn't their choice simply based of the fact that Obama is a failure and they don't trust him. Most of them are smart enough to realize it's pretty foolish to expect a POTUS to be exactly of their denomination, or even faith as big as this Country is.

FFR Spyder GT
10-11-2012, 13:12
I

From a religious standpoint? No

Do a search in the GTPI section back in 2008 and you'll see that most of the right-wing regulars claimed to be "Evangalical Christians" and now in 2012 they NEVER mention it.

I guess they lost Jesus somewhere along the way. :dunno:

mortpes
10-11-2012, 13:17
The issue among the religious is the fact that the Democratic convention was so anti religious.

GAFinch
10-11-2012, 13:38
Mormons are heretics, but they share the same overall moral system as non-progressive Jews and Christians, unlike the totalitarian faux religions of Marxism or Islam with their twisted moral systems. Decisions in politics are almost always made based on morals, not on theology. I'll take a morally-sound Mormon over a progressive (Marxist) Episcopalian, progressive Presbyterian, progressive Reform Jew, progressive atheist, Islamofascist, Islamo-communist hybrid like Hussein, etc.

Gunnut 45/454
10-11-2012, 13:41
If I was to base my vote totally on religous veiws it's still a very easy choice! Obamamoa- raised as a marxist/taught in the ways of Islam. Sat in a racist black church for 20 years yet never had a racist thought? Has very questionable morals and beliefs! Favors gay rights/marriage, abortion and is a consumate liar! Mit a moral/just and charitable person. A father of very well taught an moral children. Favors marriage between a man and a woman. Apposes abortion. Easy choice for those that believe in moral charactor!:supergrin:

JFrame
10-11-2012, 13:53
Mormons are heretics, but they share the same overall moral system as non-progressive Jews and Christians, unlike the totalitarian faux religions of Marxism or Islam with their twisted moral systems. Decisions in politics are almost always made based on morals, not on theology. I'll take a morally-sound Mormon over a progressive (Marxist) Episcopalian, progressive Presbyterian, progressive Reform Jew, progressive atheist, Islamofascist, Islamo-communist hybrid like Hussein, etc.

Just to bounce off of this post -- I believe we all need to view candidates (or people in general) in terms of their moral compass, and not what religions they purport to ascribe to. On the one hand, we have someone like Father Pfleger -- ostensibly a Catholic priest, and about as radical a Marxist kook as one could get. On the flip side, Nikki Haley was raised a Sikh, and has evidently converted to the Methodist Church -- but whether she is a Methodist or a Sikh, I would have confidence in her guiding principles in regard to how she approaches life and governance.

gilfo
10-11-2012, 15:41
It really is kind of interesting listening to the religious people in my area. The more hard core christians won't vote for romney because they consider a mormon to not be a christian. The less hard core types are kind of torn between voting for a devout mormon, or a christian-in-name-only.

Aren't the real bible thumpers you speak of forgetting the aborton issue.

stevelyn
10-11-2012, 17:22
I'm a godless heathen that renounced religion. Religion of a candidate is irrelevant to me unless they use it to affect my life in some manner.

jdavionic
10-11-2012, 17:26

Not seeing it. I could care a less whether Romney is a Mormon and who knows what Obama really is. I'm more focused on what the next 4 yrs would look like under Obama versus Romney. I don't recall anyone that I've spoken with who gave a rat's ass about the religion of the candidates.

frank4570
10-11-2012, 17:49
Aren't the real bible thumpers you speak of forgetting the aborton issue.

Please don't try to get me to make sense out of any of this religious stuff.
But I believe the idea is that worshiping the wrong god is pretty much worse than anything else, particularly if you are wearing the label christian.

And now that Obama supports abortion rights, and Romney does not, I would like to see how those fire and brimstone black churches are dealing with this whole thing.

beforeobamabans
10-11-2012, 17:54

This is a very well constructed post. Factual, accurate, then practical. I would only add African Liberation Theology to the list. Well done, Finch.

ArtificialGrape
10-11-2012, 22:28
In a June 2011 Gallup poll (http://www.gallup.com/poll/148100/Hesitant-Support-Mormon-2012.aspx) when asked, "If your party nominated a generally well-qualified person for president who happened to be Mormon, would you vote for that person?"

Overall 22% said no -- 18% of Republicans said no, 27% of Democrats said no.

However, I strongly suspect now that the theoretical question has become an actual Obama vs. Romney question that many of those Republicans would reconsider their "no". I suspect that the Weekend at Bernie's corpse would have a pretty strong showing as the "not Obama" candidate.

-ArtificialGrape

JFrame
10-11-2012, 22:42
In a June 2011 Gallup poll (http://www.gallup.com/poll/148100/Hesitant-Support-Mormon-2012.aspx) when asked, "If your party nominated a generally well-qualified person for president who happened to be Mormon, would you vote for that person?"

Overall 22% said no -- 18% of Republicans said no, 27% of Democrats said no.

However, I strongly suspect now that the theoretical question has become an actual Obama vs. Romney question that many of those Republicans would reconsider their "no". I suspect that the Weekend at Bernie's corpse would have a pretty strong showing as the "not Obama" candidate.

-ArtificialGrape

Hmmm...Bernie would certainly do less harm...