PDA

View Full Version : Infamous Cardboard Box Time

Ruggles
10-11-2012, 14:54
Pretty darn plain as you know

http://i46.tinypic.com/ouuxw7.jpg

But sometimes good stuff comes in plain packages

http://i50.tinypic.com/vpjkee.jpg

Les may be a jerk but he builds nice stuff IMO. Went looking for a Baer in .38 Super but this one will do!

http://i46.tinypic.com/2zg9f28.jpg

http://i47.tinypic.com/2u7sjm0.jpg

Family Pic, waiting for the last one (for now anyways :rofl:)to arrive, A Wilson Classic in .38 Super. Should be here in November or December.

http://i50.tinypic.com/2eoh8pl.jpg

tsmo1066
10-11-2012, 15:16
That's a beautiful family you've got there!

:cool:

Ruggles
10-11-2012, 15:19
That's a beautiful family you've got there!

:cool:

Thanks :) I see you are from Houston. I was born and raised there. Living about 1 hour south now.

Go Oilers, Luv Ya Blue :supergrin:

G19Paul
10-11-2012, 15:43
What the hey Ruggles...... I'm sitting here wearing my green hat of envy. That's a wonderful collection of pistols. I'm very happy for you.

Please let us know how that newest pistol shoots!

Congrats!!!

Ruggles
10-11-2012, 15:49
What the hey Ruggles...... I'm sitting here wearing my green hat of envy. That's a wonderful collection of pistols. I'm very happy for you.

Please let us know how that newest pistol shoots!

Congrats!!!

:) Thanks. I will.

Traded a few guns to help get the Baer but I am just a sucker for the 1911 platform. Just has the best overall balance of positives and negatives of any platform IMO. It's "weaknesses" are by far offset by it "strengths".

faawrenchbndr
10-11-2012, 15:51
Lookin good!

R0CKETMAN
10-11-2012, 17:16
Big Baer fan, but I dig the CQBE sans FCS

zackwatt
10-11-2012, 17:20
Very Nice!

dakrat
10-11-2012, 18:27
outstanding! that must be the best looking factory Les Baer grips I have ever seen.

matt_lowry123
10-11-2012, 18:44
You have to be kidding me. That came in a cardboard box?

BigDeeeeeeee
10-11-2012, 18:49
Looks great, congrats.

dakrat
10-11-2012, 18:57
You have to be kidding me. That came in a cardboard box?

is there a downside to cardboard boxes?

Ruggles
10-11-2012, 18:57
Thanks all.

I think the box is sexy, very nice cardboard hand fitted to a crisp folding upon closing said box...

Not a big fan of FCS, I omit them from any gun I order but I can live with them I guess. Heck I am even using them on this gun, I have to to work this slide :embarassed: . Typical Baer tightness, has that Baer "pop" as you wrestle it out of full battery and then it is not too bad.

Trigger pull, safety, slide stop, mag release etc are all top notch. I watched the free DVD that came with the gun. A Les Baer episode of "Shooting USA" showing the Baer shop and his car collection. Ole Les is not doing to poorly for himself with those cars, has a $2 million Ford Cobra parked in the garage :shocked:

Kinda neat to see the 1911 go thru the process there, the shows states the typical Baer 1911 has about 25 hours of hands on gun smith time. If the show is accurate alot of different hands worked on my gun.

Ruggles
10-11-2012, 18:59

If I remember correctly the longest running thread I ever saw on GT was about the Baer cardboard box, that is what I was referring to in the title.

I would complain more about the single mag that came with it rather than the box issue. Baer makes his own mags so it would not cost much to throw in a 2nd :tongueout:

samuse
10-11-2012, 19:22
Nice blaster.

I want first dibs if you decide to sell the box.

MoCop
10-11-2012, 19:52
Nice Baer!!!

brisk21
10-11-2012, 19:58
Damn fine gun!

dakrat
10-11-2012, 20:08
If I remember correctly the longest running thread I ever saw on GT was about the Baer cardboard box, that is what I was referring to in the title.

I would complain more about the single mag that came with it rather than the box issue. Baer makes his own mags so it would not cost much to throw in a 2nd :tongueout:

I know, I got some of those boxes. single mag and cardboard boxes are the reason why they are competitively priced.

Ruggles
10-11-2012, 20:23
Nice blaster.

I want first dibs if you decide to sell the box.

I will let you know when I part with said cardboard :rofl:

There was a 2nd 8rd mags stuffed up in the box, I guess the box holds more surprises than I thought :)

Glock_en_speil
10-11-2012, 21:08
Les may be a jerk but he builds nice stuff IMO.
I was under the impression that Ed is the jerk, Les seems like a nice guy as does Bill Wilson. I'm a Wilson fan myself. I ordered a CQB and waited 7 months for delivery. It was very nice but I didn't do my "homework" as well as I should have. I decided I wanted a different kind of configuration so I sold it a couple of weeks after it arrived and "got back in line" with a CQB Elite now on order. It's not due until next spring.

glock2740
10-11-2012, 21:20
Congrats! Great looking gun. :thumbsup:

bac1023
10-11-2012, 21:34
Beautiful Ruggles

Congrats! :cool:

Ruggles
10-11-2012, 21:38
I was under the impression that Ed is the jerk, Les seems like a nice guy as does Bill Wilson. I'm a Wilson fan myself. I ordered a CQB and waited 7 months for delivery. It was very nice but I didn't do my "homework" as well as I should have. I decided I wanted a different kind of configuration so I sold it a couple of weeks after it arrived and "got back in line" with a CQB Elite now on order. It's not due until next spring.

From what I have heard Ed is a few lengths ahead of Les in the "Jerk 400m" race but Les is hanging in :whistling:

I am just going by what I have heard over multiple years from numerous sources. Who really knows the truth. :dunno:
I hope I never have to find out.

I called Wilson once due to an issue with the front sight on my CQB and they were great to deal with. I mailed them just the slide on my dime ($11 with insurance I think) and they fixed it and mailed it back within a week. They included 2 ETM mags to offset my $11, not a bad deal for me :)

The CQB in the "family" picture is an Elite, what features did you want that were not on the CQB? Just curious.

Glock_en_speil
10-11-2012, 22:04
The CQB in the "family" picture is an Elite, what features did you want that were not on the CQB? Just curious.

I configured the CQB as more of a custom/classic model. It had a naked slide, gold bead front sight, shortened (countersunk) slide stop, magwell, FLGR and BP upgrade. It had a black on black Armor-Tuff finish.

The CQB Elite that I have on order is going to be a tactical/all business gun and I didn't deviate all that much from the standard configuration. Then again as you know a CQB Elite is pretty loaded as it comes. All I did was add a shortened (countersunk) slide stop, a FLGR and selected the black starburst G10 grips that normally come with the CQB. I also really wanted the new one piece magwell/MSH which Wilson has only recently made available to the CQB Elite. Up until a few months ago it was only available on the Supergrade. I honestly don't see the value in owning a Supergrade. I rather keep the extra $1500 in my pocket or put it towards a second Wilson. I may go for an X-Tac next.

Roydrage
10-11-2012, 23:26
I have 2 Wilsons, and love the way they feel in hand.

They seem very slim aside from grips than my Springfield TRP.

I heard that Baers feel Bulkier, and thicker than the Wilsons, or Browns.

I was interested in getting an Ultimate Master So What say you?

Thanks,

Royd

samuse
10-12-2012, 09:13
I have 2 Wilsons, and love the way they feel in hand.

They seem very slim aside from grips than my Springfield TRP.

I heard that Baers feel Bulkier, and thicker than the Wilsons, or Browns.

I was interested in getting an Ultimate Master So What say you?

Thanks,

Royd

I've had two Baers. They're thicker/bulkier to the point that they won't fit a kydex holster made for a 1911. Were too tight to draw in a Milt Sparks leather holster.

38 Super Fan
10-12-2012, 09:34
Congrats! :thumbsup:

ca survivor
10-12-2012, 10:45
Very Nice!

Ruggles
10-12-2012, 16:46
I've had two Baers. They're thicker/bulkier to the point that they won't fit a kydex holster made for a 1911. Were too tight to draw in a Milt Sparks leather holster.

Exact same here. Milt Sparks holster + Wilson = fine. Milt Sparks + Baer = too tight a fit.

The Baer does feel slightly "fatter" in the hand than the Wilson.

Ruggles
10-12-2012, 16:50
I configured the CQB as more of a custom/classic model. It had a naked slide, gold bead front sight, shortened (countersunk) slide stop, magwell, FLGR and BP upgrade. It had a black on black Armor-Tuff finish.

The CQB Elite that I have on order is going to be a tactical/all business gun and I didn't deviate all that much from the standard configuration. Then again as you know a CQB Elite is pretty loaded as it comes. All I did was add a shortened (countersunk) slide stop, a FLGR and selected the black starburst G10 grips that normally come with the CQB. I also really wanted the new one piece magwell/MSH which Wilson has only recently made available to the CQB Elite. Up until a few months ago it was only available on the Supergrade. I honestly don't see the value in owning a Supergrade. I rather keep the extra $1500 in my pocket or put it towards a second Wilson. I may go for an X-Tac next.

Sounds like a great build. It will be built like a tank and shoot like a sports car I bet.

One of the reasons I really like Wilson as a builder is the variety you can choose from when ordering. Kinda like having the Deluxe Mister Potato Head instead of the regular version as a kid. You know all those extra noes, ears and eyes to choose from :)

knedrgr
10-12-2012, 19:02
CONGRATS! Will probably play with 38 Super soon.

Ruggles
10-12-2012, 20:40

You should, I really love it. I would say I prefer it above .45ACP in a 1911. Not to say .45ACP is not fun to shoot, we all know it is. The .38 Super just has it's own style IMO. I am itching for a 9mm 1911 :)

matt_lowry123
10-12-2012, 21:39

:rofl::rofl:

There good with me!!!! I could use some myself!! I was joking. I remember the longest thread ever started with the comment I made.

GVFlyer
10-12-2012, 22:00

In my limited experience, you are exactly correct. To Brown's great credit, Ed seldom answers the phone any more.

Cowboy1629
11-07-2012, 00:04
As soon as I saw the title "Infamous Cardboard Box Time" I knew exactly what you were talking about.

I have a Baer TRS that is one heck of a shooter. Finish may not be as durable as my Brown or Wilsons but you get a lot of bang for the buck with the Baers. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. Nice collection by the way!

Ruggles
11-07-2012, 05:23
As soon as I saw the title "Infamous Cardboard Box Time" I knew exactly what you were talking about.

I have a Baer TRS that is one heck of a shooter. Finish may not be as durable as my Brown or Wilsons but you get a lot of bang for the buck with the Baers. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. Nice collection by the way!

:rofl: Yeah that box thread was epically long!

ca survivor
11-07-2012, 06:14
deleted.

Zombie Steve
11-07-2012, 06:59
Beautiful looking pistola. :thumbsup:

I sure miss that cardboard box thread.

http://pzrservices.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451ccbc69e2017615bb739d970c-400wi

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x214/sbecht/IMG_0313.jpg

Rinspeed
11-07-2012, 10:42
I called Wilson once due to an issue with the front sight on my CQB and they were great to deal with. I mailed them just the slide on my dime ($11 with insurance I think) and they fixed it and mailed it back within a week. They included 2 ETM mags to offset my $11, not a bad deal for me :)

I wonder if they would get wise when you started sending it in every other month. :supergrin:

Ruggles
11-07-2012, 17:54
I wonder if they would get wise when you started sending it in every other month. :supergrin:

Worth a try :rofl:

Ruggles
11-07-2012, 17:55
Beautiful looking pistola. :thumbsup:

I sure miss that cardboard box thread.

http://pzrservices.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451ccbc69e2017615bb739d970c-400wi

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x214/sbecht/IMG_0313.jpg

:supergrin: Heck yeah!

garander
11-08-2012, 17:11
Good goin ruggles! Great choice. I took possesion of a pll about six weeks ago.
And by the way, our serial numbers are within 30 of each other!

Joshhtn
11-08-2012, 17:13
That's beautiful!! Congrats!!

Ruggles
11-08-2012, 17:21
Good goin ruggles! Great choice. I took possesion of a pll about six weeks ago.
And by the way, our serial numbers are within 30 of each other!

Brothers in arms :) I bet they sat in the same pile at Baer's at sometime. :)

garander
11-08-2012, 17:41
Brothers in arms :) I bet they sat in the same pile at Baer's at sometime. :)

I am sure they did! I have close to 300 rounds through mine and it hasn't made it any easier to break the slide loose. For me at least, i hope it stays that way.

Ruggles
11-08-2012, 17:50
I am sure they did! I have close to 300 rounds through mine and it hasn't made it any easier to break the slide loose. For me at least, i hope it stays that way.

About the same number thru this one, still as tight as crap. I owned a Bear TRS Comanche for about 2 years. Never got any loser after many many rounds. I bet these PIIs will be tight for years to come :)

I honestly wish it was a wee bit looser, this thing is brutal tight :rofl:

Rinspeed
11-08-2012, 17:59
I honestly wish it was a wee bit looser, this thing is brutal tight :rofl:

The wonderful thing about tight pistols is it's a hell of a lot easier to make tight ones a little looser than it is to make loose ones a little tighter.

Ruggles
11-08-2012, 18:08
The wonderful thing about tight pistols is it's a hell of a lot easier to make tight ones a little looser than it is to make loose ones a little tighter.

Ahhh very true :)

But does it need to be so tight it makes me feel like a 9 year old girl when I am trying to chamber a round!

Rinspeed
11-08-2012, 18:11
Ahhh very true :)

But does it need to be so tight it makes me feel like a 9 year old girl when I am trying to chamber a round!

Maybe it's time to hit the gym my friend. :supergrin:

Ruggles
11-08-2012, 18:17
Maybe it's time to hit the gym my friend. :supergrin:

Been married for 20+ years, I would think that that particular motion using my arms and hand would be in my favor and I could rack that slide, repeatedly and often :rofl:

bac1023
11-08-2012, 19:59

Its a cool round for sure and the only round designed specifically for the 1911.

ctfireman
11-08-2012, 20:20
Thats the stuff right there, congrats!

rednoved
11-08-2012, 20:53
That gun looks awesome. I really like the grips.

Ruggles
11-08-2012, 20:54
Thats the stuff right there, congrats!

Ruggles
11-08-2012, 21:34
That gun looks awesome. I really like the grips.

They look nice, pretty aggressive texture for a wooden grip. Carrying IWB can be a tad bit abrasive on the skin :) But it's not too bad.

Bill Keith
11-08-2012, 21:53
Congratulations!

FullClip
11-09-2012, 11:25
Nice collection going there for sure. I picked up a used Baer Stinger a couple years ago...and the card board box was included! Since then also bought a new Brown Carry, but like the Baer better...may think about getting a full sized Baer when I finish this project and get home.

garander
11-10-2012, 13:00
Hey ruggles, i was able to shoot mine outdoors at fifty yards today. Got an honest 2 1/2 group with six shots on only my second attempt. just using a handload of mixed brass and 230 grain ball. Mine does not have the 1 1/2 inch guarantee. I was shooting seated with a backrest. Was also able to make some good hits on a 35 pound barbell plate at 130 yards. The baer gets better all the time.

Ruggles
11-10-2012, 15:07
Nice collection going there for sure. I picked up a used Baer Stinger a couple years ago...and the card board box was included! Since then also bought a new Brown Carry, but like the Baer better...may think about getting a full sized Baer when I finish this project and get home.

Kinda one of those things that one is never enough :rofl: Sounds like you have plan to enlarge the 1911 family. I really like the looks of the Baer SuperTac full size.

Ruggles
11-10-2012, 15:18
Hey ruggles, i was able to shoot mine outdoors at fifty yards today. Got an honest 2 1/2 group with six shots on only my second attempt. just using a handload of mixed brass and 230 grain ball. Mine does not have the 1 1/2 inch guarantee. I was shooting seated with a backrest. Was also able to make some good hits on a 35 pound barbell plate at 130 yards. The baer gets better all the time.

Very nice indeed :) I do not have the 1/2" either, I can not imagine I could ever really take advantage of that kind of mechanical accuracy :) Sounds like you had a great day of shooting,congrats :) Looks like you and you Baer are warming up to each other. :wavey:

garander
11-10-2012, 16:06
Very nice indeed :) I do not have the 1/2" either, I can not imagine I could ever really take advantage of that kind of mechanical accuracy :) Sounds like you had a great day of shooting,congrats :) Looks like you and you Baer are warming up to each other. :wavey:

You may not have the 1 1/2 option, but i have a feeling that many of the standard guns will shoot close to 1 1/2" anyway, at least if you take the time to find a load it likes.

IndianaMatt
11-10-2012, 23:41
I thought Les Baer was actually pretty nice. He looks like a decent guy from his Youtube videos and interviews.

I thought it was Ed Brown that was the jerk??

Ed Brown Is Rude Shot Show 2012 weaponseducation - YouTube

Ruggles
11-11-2012, 00:19
I thought Les Baer was actually pretty nice. He looks like a decent guy from his Youtube videos and interviews.

I thought it was Ed Brown that was the jerk??

Ed Brown Is Rude Shot Show 2012 weaponseducation - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMs8b7U2tsI&feature=relmfu)

From what I have read (and take that for what it is worth) both Brown and Bear can be jerks. I hear tell that calling Baer and telling him one of his 1911 is not working is pretty much like kicking him in the nads. He tends to blame the user for any issues :rofl:

Who knows if it is true.

IndianaMatt
11-11-2012, 01:35
From what I have read (and take that for what it is worth) both Brown and Bear can be jerks. I hear tell that calling Baer and telling him one of his 1911 is not working is pretty much like kicking him in the nads. He tends to blame the user for any issues :rofl:

Who knows if it is true.

LOL!! I actually laughed out loud when I read this. My wife looked at me at the computer and was like, "Baby what's so funny?"

Its probably true, what you say. Probably both Brown and Baer are so passionate about their guns, have spent so many years working hard at their business, that anything even resembling criticism is tantamount to a personal affront.

Bottom line: The both make great firearms. [I think I do prefer the Baer stuff, though]. Congrats on the new piece - it looks like a real pleasure to own, display, and shoot.

Ruggles
11-11-2012, 14:39
LOL!! I actually laughed out loud when I read this. My wife looked at me at the computer and was like, "Baby what's so funny?"

Its probably true, what you say. Probably both Brown and Baer are so passionate about their guns, have spent so many years working hard at their business, that anything even resembling criticism is tantamount to a personal affront.

Bottom line: The both make great firearms. [I think I do prefer the Baer stuff, though]. Congrats on the new piece - it looks like a real pleasure to own, display, and shoot.

I would think Baer and Brown are just about on par with each other in quality and build. The Brown I have seems a little more "refined" than either Baer I have owned. But that is a very subjective thing so take it for what is it worth :supergrin:

RetailNinja
11-11-2012, 18:01

Who knows if it is true.

When I called I spoke to him about my slide stop notch needing to be re cut as it was peening out. He said it was because I was using CMC magazines. I said I used them because the gun wouldn't run with LBC magazines. There was some yelling then he told me to send the gun in. Free repair and fast shipping. :dunno: