Adventure at the gas station [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Adventure at the gas station

automatic slim
10-11-2012, 16:14
So, I have a pretty good size ant farm in my front yard, that I decided to "evict". I needed a new lighter, and I'm out of beer, so I head down to the gas station. At the counter, I have 12 bottles of beer, a Bic lighter, and I ask for 2 gallons of 87.

The cashier stops and kinda looks at me funny. Suddenly, it hit me. Without missing a beat, I look left, then right,and I ask him in a hushed voice,

"Do ya'll have any rags?"

:supergrin:

Eurodriver
10-11-2012, 16:44
How do you use gas to eliminate ants?

GoBigOrange
10-11-2012, 16:46

really? :rofl:

Eurodriver
10-11-2012, 16:47
really? :rofl:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

OH MAN

WOW

yes.

bocaboca
10-11-2012, 16:48
with gas at close to 4 bucks a gallon you cudda spent the $8 on an insecticide/ant killer that would have done the job without the flaming front lawn

Gregg702
10-11-2012, 16:50
with gas at close to 4 bucks a gallon you cudda spent the $8 on an insecticide/ant killer that would have done the job without the flaming front lawn

I doubt it would be as much fun though. I do think lighter fluid would be easier to ignite though.

Eurodriver
10-11-2012, 16:52
Still no ****ing answer.

You actually light the gas on fire?

automatic slim
10-11-2012, 17:06
Still no ****ing answer.

You actually light the gas on fire?

No. I bought them their gasoline so they would move.

cgwahl
10-11-2012, 17:16

Ants like gasoline. You pour a trail of gas to where you want them to move.

Most people make the mistake of pouring it into the ant mound and lighting a match.

Eurodriver
10-11-2012, 17:31
Never use gasoline to drench an anthill. The gas will contaminate the groundwater and it is a hazard far worse than the ants themselves.
Read more: Best Way to Kill Ants | eHow.com (http://www.ehow.com/how_4596531_best-way-kill-ants.html#ixzz292JPGJBY) http://www.ehow.com/how_4596531_best-way-kill-ants.html#ixzz292JPGJBY

Tow/Repo
10-11-2012, 17:36

:animlol::animlol:

paynter2
10-11-2012, 17:38
True story - a logger in N. Wi was working in a remote area with just a goat trail to get his trucks out. The beaver kept bulding a dam on a little creek that would flood the road.

This idiot took 5 gallons of gasoline and dumped it down the breather hole of the lodge and then dropped a match down. He damned near killed himself. Sticks and mud all over hell. Blew himself right off the lodge.

There were a lot of colorful characters around that area...

Kevin108
10-11-2012, 17:57
Never use gasoline to drench an anthill. The gas will contaminate the groundwater and it is a hazard far worse than the ants themselves.

:upeyes: Did the lady across the street tell you that?

2 gallons of gas aren't enough to contaminate a sandbox, much less groundwater.

G17Jake
10-11-2012, 18:24

:rofl:

ron59
10-11-2012, 18:24
:upeyes: Did the lady across the street tell you that?

2 gallons of gas aren't enough to contaminate a sandbox, much less groundwater.

Especially if you pour it in, let it soak for only a short bit... then light it. I have a hard time seeing any of that NOT getting burnt, so seeping into the groundwater? Nah....

I personally use Bengal Fire Ant killer. It's a powder, 1 tablespoon for a mound. Kills that mound dead. Quick.

automatic slim
10-11-2012, 18:27
Read more: Best Way to Kill Ants | eHow.com (http://www.ehow.com/how_4596531_best-way-kill-ants.html#ixzz292JPGJBY) http://www.ehow.com/how_4596531_best-way-kill-ants.html#ixzz292JPGJBY

I like my way better. :wavey:

shotgunred
10-11-2012, 18:31

The same way you get third degree burns on your legs and gonads.

jdavionic
10-11-2012, 18:33

I thought they drove the chevy volt?

USMCsilver
10-11-2012, 18:47
I personally use Bengal Fire Ant killer. It's a powder, 1 tablespoon for a mound. Kills that mound dead. Quick.

Yup.

I prefer it over Orthene.

wrenrj1
10-11-2012, 18:47
I'm waiting for the Youtube video! Or I guess I'll see it eventually on the Spike Channel...

jtull7
10-11-2012, 18:54
I like ants. They feed the horny toads. They have never bothered me.

USMCsilver
10-11-2012, 18:59
I like ants. They feed the horny toads. They have never bothered me.

You must not have FIRE ants. :dunno:

Slackinoff
10-11-2012, 19:09
Its almost leaf burning season.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq0Zx3tI2F4&feature=related

cgwahl
10-11-2012, 19:21
I'm waiting for the Youtube video! Or I guess I'll see it eventually on the Spike Channel...

It'll look a lot like this (language warning):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyKb7w1iKOw

automatic slim
10-11-2012, 19:48
Ahh. Make a thread about homemade molotovs, winds up being about "drinking water" (Al Gore). :supergrin:

I love ya'll!...:wavey:

vikingsoftpaw
10-11-2012, 19:59
[QUOTE=Eurodriver;19508429]Never use gasoline to drench an anthill. The gas will contaminate the groundwater and it is a hazard far worse than the ants themselves.

I'll throw the B.S. flag on that one also... Gasoline evaporates too fast and is Hydrophobic.

njl
10-11-2012, 20:13
Boiling water on the mound works, and gives the survivors something to do (removal of the dead). Wait a day or two, and see all the corpses ejected from the colony.

ron59
10-11-2012, 20:55
edited

CitizenOfDreams
10-11-2012, 21:12
You should hire a shady character.

http://img3.etsystatic.com/000/0/6202020/il_fullxfull.347049991.jpg

uptomyneck
10-11-2012, 21:34
I used gas to get the fireants off my dog's grave when I was six years old. It was also the first time I spent the night in the hospital. Six year olds don't quite grasp the concept of "highly flammable."

nursetim
10-11-2012, 21:40

:animlol: :animlol: can't breath :animlol: :animlol:

certifiedfunds
10-11-2012, 21:41
I know a guy who spent a year in a burn unit from burning ant hills with gas.

He even has skin grafts on his johnson.

We call him lizard ****

cgwahl
10-11-2012, 22:02
We call him lizard ****

kirgi08
10-11-2012, 22:33
:animlol:

gwalchmai
10-12-2012, 05:47
I don't light the gas, just pour about a cup into the entrance of the mound. If pools in their catch basins and the fumes kill all the ants.

Or you can sprinkle a tablespoon of diatomaceous earth on the mound.

eracer
10-12-2012, 05:56
You've been here for two years and you believe that more than one or two people here care about that?

certifiedfunds
10-12-2012, 06:09
I don't light the gas, just pour about a cup into the entrance of the mound. If pools in their catch basins and the fumes kill all the ants.

Or you can sprinkle a tablespoon of diatomaceous earth on the mound.

Why would you pour gas on instead of an actual ant poison?

Or DE?

Help me understand.

Airborne Infantryman
10-12-2012, 06:16

Or DE?

Help me understand.

Because its more fun with gasoline. :supergrin:

Arc Angel
10-12-2012, 06:19
Next time try using a couple of liters of common ordinary carbonated CLUB SODA! ;)

gwalchmai
10-12-2012, 06:19

Or DE?

Help me understand.Gas because it may be handy, and it works very well. But it stinks, especially in areas which have special "enviro" blends.

DE because it's totally nontoxic and death to small arthropods. I sprinkled my garage and basement on 9/28 and haven't seen a bug since. Prior to that I would always see a couple of trophy waterbugs skitter away anytime I went into the garage at night.

gwalchmai
10-12-2012, 06:24
Next time try using a couple of liters of common ordinary carbonated CLUB SODA! ;)Club soda works similar to gasoline - it pools in the catchbasins and emits CO2, which suffocates the ants. ;)

stravis
10-12-2012, 06:36
You can also just take about half a shovel from one mound and dump it on top of another. The mound you dumped it on top of will be gone in a couple of days. They kill each other. Go around doing this to all of your mounds and you have an ant teotwawki in your yard for a couple of days.

certifiedfunds
10-12-2012, 06:41
Gas because it may be handy, and it works very well. But it stinks, especially in areas which have special "enviro" blends.

DE because it's totally nontoxic and death to small arthropods. I sprinkled my garage and basement on 9/28 and haven't seen a bug since. Prior to that I would always see a couple of trophy waterbugs skitter away anytime I went into the garage at night.

Gas contaminates ground water and kills your lawn. If you can buy DE, why wouldn't you just buy ant poison and keep it handy? Ant hills aren't a surprise. You know they're coming.

Side note: Broadcast generic talstar and ant hills don't happen.

mike g35
10-12-2012, 06:56
I prefer Pyrodex. Just sprinkle some into a tube of sorts, cap said tube (after pre drilling one with a small drill bit) then insert cannon fuse into pre-drilled hole. Put said tube into mound, light fuse, and then RUN LIKE HELL!!!!!! Ants...and a considerable portion of your lawn....are gone. :rofl: :)

Warning: don't be a moron, don't try that. This practice has been known to make you see things...like hospitals and ATF agents.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

gwalchmai
10-12-2012, 07:20
Gas contaminates ground water and kills your lawn. If you can buy DE, why wouldn't you just buy ant poison and keep it handy? Ant hills aren't a surprise. You know they're coming.I don't have enough ants to make it worthwhile to buy the poison, but DE is good for all bugs.

As noted, if a cup of gasoline hurts the groundwater we're long since doomed, and it's never hurt my lawn. If a little bit of grass dies around the mound it's of no consequence.

SC Tiger
10-12-2012, 08:54
True story - a Gold's Gym in Seneca caught on fire. Turns out a former employee broke in, poured gas everywhere and lit it on fire.

They caught him because he walked to a nearby gas station to get the gas. When he had trouble with the gas can the gas attendant suggested he return it. The arsonist's response was "I'm only going to use it once anyway."

That kind of struck the attendant as odd.

SC Tiger
10-12-2012, 08:57

In that case just run an electrical cord into the mound.

F350
10-12-2012, 11:28

BUT....... Would it have been as much fun?!?!? :rofl:

SC Tiger
10-12-2012, 11:31
I doubt it would be as much fun though. I do think lighter fluid would be easier to ignite though.

Not only that but it also serves as a warning to any other ants that are looking at moving in. :rofl:

F350
10-12-2012, 11:46
Kinda reminds me of a little adventure my buddy and I had.

He lived on a farm and his mom told us to get rid of a mole that had dug a tunnel across the front yard, so like good little boys we did as we were told.

We opened up both ends of the tunnel, placed a lit candle in one end; in the other end we placed a baby food jar half full of water and dropped in a half dozen carbide crystals, covered with a board and ran like hell!

If you don't know carbide in water produces acetylene gas (as used in cutting torches); when the gas reached the candle it blew a trench across the front yard, she didn't say anything about not damaging the yard.

We had to dodge her for a week; after she cooled down she thought it was pretty funny.

CitizenOfDreams
10-12-2012, 12:21
Not only that but it also serves as a warning to any other ants that are looking at moving in. :rofl:

It's a nice mound you have here... It would be a shame if it caught on fire.

Hamilton Burger
10-12-2012, 14:41

My ant drives a Town Car? :whistling:

Dan_ntx
10-12-2012, 14:55
I use instant grits. I have a plastic shaker cup of them in the garage. Little ants take the grits to the queen and they expand upon consumption. A couple of days or so and they are gone. Fire ant piles are the only ones I mess with but it works well and I don't have to worry about my wife's less than intelligent dog eating ant poison... If something happens to that dog I can only imagine what she would replace it with.

cgwahl
10-12-2012, 16:39

Honestly, depending on where the hill is, it can sometimes be better to just leave them be. He knows where the hill is now...once the survivors relocate, the hill might end up at a place he really doesn't want them to be.

cgwahl
10-12-2012, 16:39
I use instant grits. I have a plastic shaker cup of them in the garage. Little ants take the grits to the queen and they expand upon consumption. A couple of days or so and they are gone. Fire ant piles are the only ones I mess with but it works well and I don't have to worry about my wife's less than intelligent dog eating ant poison... If something happens to that dog I can only imagine what she would replace it with.

Pretty clever. Will have to remember that.

certifiedfunds
10-12-2012, 17:49
Burn the whole lawn. Its the only way to be sure.

TBO
10-12-2012, 18:07
Pink Panther theme...

Sent from the toe of my jack boot using Tapatalk 2