Using Lee scoop differently now [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Using Lee scoop differently now

ADK_40GLKr
10-11-2012, 21:33
Thanks to all the good advice I received here, I picked up a scale, and a "Kinetic Bullet Puller".

I'm still using the 5cc scoop, but now to dump powder into scale pan and then to trickle the rest to get to required # of grains. Interestingly, a .5cc scoop of powder weighs about 5 grains + or - .2, so to get 6.8 grains, I dump a whole scoop into the pan, and then holding the scoop horizontally between my thumb and middle finger, tap on the handle with my index finger until the scale reads the desired weight. I'm getting ABOUT as much powder as I was with a scoop and 1/5 (making 5 equal piles on a sheet of paper) but this is a whole lot more precise.

Still getting used to the press. It took me about 50 tries to come up with 25 rounds of .40 with 165 gr plated bullets and 1.124" OAL.

Had to use the KINETIC Puller on the short ones. Good excuse to slam something around! Got rid of ALL my aggressions!

Think I better shoot some of them before I make any more! Saturday will be range day!

DoctaGlockta
10-12-2012, 06:40
http://leeprecision.com/images/P/90058-01.JPG

Lee Perfect Powder Measure. About $20.00. Pretty accurate. Forget trickling unless you really enjoy it. Good luck.

ron59
10-12-2012, 09:23
You're going to get REAL tired of building ammo that way, manually throwing and measuring powder for each round. Ugh, I can't even imagine.

That's why, with a progressive press.... once you set it up to drop the desired amount.... you forget it. Just pull the handle and go.

Well, okay, you do need to visually inspect cases to make sure something happened, but you are NOT having to manually throw/measure each and every powder drop. And with my Dillon powder measure.... that thing is consistent and accurate.