Lee Turret question regarding powder measure [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Lee Turret question regarding powder measure

RYT 2BER
10-11-2012, 21:42
This may be a bit of an equipment specific question but I'm thinking someone may have experienced the same thing..

I have the "standard" (not the pro model) powder measure on my turret... As such there is no "turn off mechanism" for powder so if you take off the hopper, in essence powder is falling out all over..

With that said, I finished reloading about 175 rounds today but the hopper was half full.. I wanted to dump out the hopper but to accomplish this, you basically have to unscrew the measure from the die, and flip it over as one piece with the disk still in place..

Just wondering....this would require taking off and on the hopper regularly for everything from disk changes to emptying the hopper..

Is it ok to keep screwing this thing off and on?

*** EDIT ok never mind I found the swivel adaptor for it... There are so many ancillary parts you find for these things... Would be so much easier if they just sold it all together.

Colorado4Wheel
10-11-2012, 22:21
If you had followed the advice in the sticky then you would have the right parts.

SJ 40
10-12-2012, 07:48
I have found by trying to save a dollar up front usually ends up costing one three dollars down the road to correct.
The difference in the pro is more than worth it. SJ 40

tkglazie
10-12-2012, 08:08
There is a pro upgrade kit I believe. If the price is right you might consider it.

unclebob
10-12-2012, 08:10
Why are you unscrewing the powder measure to dump the powder? Just pull of the whole tool head.

Njanear
10-12-2012, 17:38
Why are you unscrewing the powder measure to dump the powder? Just pull of the whole tool head.

+1. That makes it a lot easier.

RYT 2BER
10-12-2012, 18:26
I'll have to inspect it closer to understand what you guys are describing by pulling the whole tool head. :dunno:

RustyFN
10-12-2012, 18:37
I'll have to inspect it closer to understand what you guys are describing by pulling the whole tool head. :dunno:

The turret. Just raise the ram half way so you don't screw up the plastic ratchet. Turn the turret by hand and lift it out. Dump the powder and put it back.

WiskyT
10-12-2012, 21:25
He still has to remove the hopper to change disks if I remember correctly. There is no problem removing the hopper other than it's a pita to run the screws out and back in. The Pro upgrade is worth the money if you are going to be changing loads frequently.

But yes, to empty the hopper, remove the turret to invert the whole measure and empty it. This is much easier than removing the pte die.

tkglazie
10-12-2012, 21:26
What RustyFN said. It's the exact same process as when you are removing an empty turret. The instructions came with the kit.

RYT 2BER
10-13-2012, 09:29
Good tip guys thanks for the info

sig357fan
10-13-2012, 11:32
You can change the disk without removing the hopper.

Remove the return spring, then raise the measure by hand and slide the disk out the hole side.

To putting a disk in, slide it in aligning the cavity you want over the hole and align the tab on the arm with the slot in the bottom of the disk, push the measure down until the disk is all the way back under the hopper and reinstall the spring. It can be done but it's a real PITA.

Another option is to use the charge bar and never remove it, just adjust it in the measure, but the charge bar tends to have accuracy problems with anything but ball powder and charges below 3.0 gr.

OR.....

Just get the upgrade kit and save yourself the troube.

sig357fan

Gpruitt54
10-13-2012, 15:42
I bought the same powder measure for my Lee turret. Don't unscrew the plastic hopper. Instead, unscrew the metal part from the riser. This will allow you to empty the hopper without separating the hopper from the measuring disk.

unclebob
10-13-2012, 15:54
I bought the same powder measure for my Lee turret. Don't unscrew the plastic hopper. Instead, unscrew the metal part from the riser. This will allow you to empty the hopper without separating the hopper from the measuring disk.

Why not just left off the tool head, dies and powder measure and empty the powder measure. You don't have to unscrew anything.

ColoCG
10-13-2012, 16:29
Or you could do this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/155227/lee-auto-disk-powder-measure-update-kit

or even better this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/348753/lee-pro-auto-disk-powder-measure

Colorado4Wheel
10-13-2012, 16:40
I would buy the complete measure and get the Teflon coated parts.

Gpruitt54
10-13-2012, 21:31
Why not just left off the tool head, dies and powder measure and empty the powder measure. You don't have to unscrew anything.

Sure, that would work too. If you load more than one caliber, you will need to remove the powder measure and place it on your second tool head and dies. That is what I do.

Gpruitt54
10-13-2012, 21:35
Or you could do this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/155227/lee-auto-disk-powder-measure-update-kit

or even better this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/348753/lee-pro-auto-disk-powder-measure

Yes... Yes... The Pro Audodesk measure is a much better solution, and because it has a rubber surface surrounding the powder channel it spills much less powder than the standard Autodesk.