S&G dial lock "day lock"? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : S&G dial lock "day lock"?

njl
10-11-2012, 21:58
I had to pick a few locks today (we bought some surplus gear that didn't come with keys) and was just in my gun safe and wondered how good the key lock on the S&G dial was. IIRC, they market the key lock on the dial as both a means to keep someone from guessing combinations (can't spin the dial) and as a way to provide fast access to the safe (after dialing the combo, you can lock it at 0 and the safe is locked...but if you unlock the key lock and dial it back to 80, the safe opens).

Well, I was very disappointed to find that I could pick the key lock on the safe dial more easily and repeatedly than the other locks I did today. I suck at lock picking...and the safe dial's key lock only takes me a couple of seconds to unlock or relock.

The message? Do not rely on the key lock on your safe's combo dial as a day lock if anyone you don't trust with your guns (or whatever else is in there) will have any access to your safe.

NeverMore1701
10-11-2012, 22:33
http://www.power-tools-pro.co.uk/images/gws18v-li-bosch-angle-grinder-500.jpg

tarpleyg
10-12-2012, 09:19
I have the same lock but don't rely on that feature anyway. Good to know, though.

njl
10-12-2012, 09:24
I've occasionally used it when temporarily removing guns from the big safe (for cleaning or to use a barrel to chamber check reloads). I definitely wouldn't leave the house with it set that way.