Plain clothes holster opinions..... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Plain clothes holster opinions.....

indigent
10-11-2012, 22:18
Guys,

Got word this week that each patrolman will work with CID for 2 days every 8 weeks......

This means I've got to find a decent (read as not too expensive) plain clothes holster for my MC Operator (without the TLR-1). I've got a Serpa for it that I occasionally wear for class, but here as of late, I've not been too happy w/ it.

Any suggestions.......

SAR
10-11-2012, 23:25
My favorite is my Milt Sparks VM II, but they are not cheap. If money is an object like you say, the COMPTAC MTAC IWB holsters are comfortable and priced right.

OfficerChris
10-11-2012, 23:27
Guys,

Got word this week that each patrolman will work with CID for 2 days every 8 weeks......

This means I've got to find a decent (read as not too expensive) plain clothes holster for my MC Operator (without the TLR-1). I've got a Serpa for it that I occasionally wear for class, but here as of late, I've not been too happy w/ it.

Any suggestions.......

don't know what Mc operator is but I use a 5.11 clip on iwb and I love it.

Only about 30 bucks for it, good quality.

DaBigBR
10-12-2012, 00:06
Holsters for railed 1911s can be tough. Galco has a couple of options. I have a DeSantis Speed Scabbard and do not particularly care for it. They compensate for potential damage by the rail to the leather by not stitching the last inch and a half of the bottom of the holster together. It gets damaged this way.

indigent
10-12-2012, 00:21
Holsters for railed 1911s can be tough. Galco has a couple of options. I have a DeSantis Speed Scabbard and do not particularly care for it. They compensate for potential damage by the rail to the leather by not stitching the last inch and a half of the bottom of the holster together. It gets damaged this way.

I'm finding this to be true....

I guess if push comes to shove, I'll just suck it up and use the Serpa.....

GunFighter45ACP
10-12-2012, 01:11
Holsters for railed 1911s can be tough.

Ditto. Kydex holster makers may be your best bet for something rail friendly. I'd look at Comp Tac as there lead times are pretty quick if you're in a pinch for time.

Do you need a retention device? This might make it a little harder...

Agent6-3/8
10-12-2012, 01:32
If you're looking for IWB the CompTac MTAC is awesome.

Posted from my iPhone 4s via Outdoor Hub mobile

LT642
10-12-2012, 04:15
I would take a look at the Safariland ALS, I think the model is 6378. This is a paddle holster and it is rock solid. The problem I have with pancake or IWB holsters in the issue of reholstering one handed. Plus, with the ALS feature it offers some retention value, I use this holster for duty and really like it. As I recall they run around $38 dollars, +/-.

Good luck and stay safe.

CanIhaveGasCash
10-12-2012, 04:20
Are you looking for IWB, paddle, or belt?

As a fellow 1911 guy I have both the Comp Tac MTAC and a Crossbreed supertuck. I find the supertuck to be more comfortable, mostly due to the belt clips being wider.

For an reasonably priced paddle holster, look at safariland. I can't think of the model number at the moment, but they have an ALS holster that I would recommend if you are carrying in the open since it has some retention.

collim1
10-12-2012, 04:42
Not a fan of the Serpa myself. I am in the same boat you are. Our Chief reinstated rotations through detectives effective Jan 1. 3 month rotations for all personnel.

I have a Don Hume H721 for each handgun I own. For the money they are great holsters and hold up well.

Their website shows one for SA 1911 w/rails.

http://www.donhume.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=67_355_310&products_id=42&zenid=9avj421q9htocvuj0t40q1ug11

razdog76
10-12-2012, 05:11
I needed a solid holster this year since I had five weeks of class. I bought the snap loop holster, with a thumb break, for my P226 and have been very happy with it.

It is sturdy but with the snap loops you can take it off instead of having to take off your belt. If memory serves, it was $75 shipped with all my options.

found this company http://lobogunleather.com/4_1-sl_pancake_style_snap-loop

Cav
10-12-2012, 06:17
Are you looking for IWB, paddle, or belt?

As a fellow 1911 guy I have both the Comp Tac MTAC and a Crossbreed supertuck. I find the supertuck to be more comfortable, mostly due to the belt clips being wider.

For an reasonably priced paddle holster, look at safariland. I can't think of the model number at the moment, but they have an ALS holster that I would recommend if you are carrying in the open since it has some retention.

Has Safariland fixed the issues with the ALS, I know few years back they had issues.

11A
10-12-2012, 06:46
The issue I have with my Safariland ALS is that lots too bulky to put under a button up shirt without it being obvious that I am concealing something. I have a Comp-Tac MTAC and love it for IWB. For OWB I had a holster molded by a local shop that does quality work.

merlynusn
10-12-2012, 07:13
We are required to wear ours OWB (belt/paddle) and not IWB. I use the Safariland ALS holster. Others wear the Serpa, but I like the retention better in the Safariland.

CanIhaveGasCash
10-12-2012, 07:50
Has Safariland fixed the issues with the ALS, I know few years back they had issues.

I haven't had any issues with their off duty stuff or their duty ALS system. I'm also a firearms instructor for a regional program and haven't seen anything personally. I've seen several issues with blackhawk holsters and will never use them.

indigent
10-12-2012, 08:07
I'd prefer OWB. I use the ALS for my duty holster now so that may be an option.

Thanks for the suggestions.

FL-obiwan
10-12-2012, 10:16
+1 for the Don Hume 721. I have two - one for a Beretta 96 and one for a H&K P2000. I think the whole IWB thing is overblown. If you have a decent OWB holster and BELT as well as a well thought out covering garment you're good to go. I have carried the above mentioned guns on and off duty and have never had a problem. In fact the H&K is my constant carry gun 99% of the time.

FiremanMike
10-12-2012, 11:06
Guys,

Any suggestions.......

I loved my Safariland 6378.. Looks decent, still has security, clean draw.. Great holster..

Cochese
10-12-2012, 11:12
Want me to send you one of mine to use?

I have a COM kydex from my pro. It'll work. Lefty, railed, paddle OWB.

Cochese
10-12-2012, 11:21
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-iB5HDkg1ewY/TO2o0Er6fCI/AAAAAAAAE9g/buF0zk1f058/s1280/2010-11-24_16-03-31_391.jpg

Cochese
10-12-2012, 11:30
Well, I have no worldly idea where that Kydex one is, but here are a bunch of other ones you can use dude.

JIT Slide, Yaqui slide and a few mag holders.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-DKqRzA0BN9w/UHhTCqR1WAI/AAAAAAAAFBM/L5aPG0Q0zF0/s912/IMG_20121012_112715.jpg

Cochese
10-12-2012, 11:31
Just text me and let me know and I need your address again.

Cav
10-12-2012, 12:09
I haven't had any issues with their off duty stuff or their duty ALS system. I'm also a firearms instructor for a regional program and haven't seen anything personally. I've seen several issues with blackhawk holsters and will never use them.

I have heard the bashing of the SERPA with "Offical Letters", but it is issued to all officers at my PD, Uniformed, plain clothes, SWAT, Motors, etc... Even used them in Iraq with dust and dirt. I know of no one with an issue with the SERPA other than on line. I do first hand Officers and Soldiers who had issues with the Safariland.

The Safari ALS system seemed to have more issues, but I guess now its "fixed".

You can Google "safariland als problems" and read some of the like issues people were having.

IMHO it almost seems like Safariland had some issues a few years back and now everyone is trying to say Blackhawk has issues, like its a game or something. Maybe any hot and dirty holster can mess up (well it have to be dirt for the SERPA). I know the BP agent that wrecked on the 4 wheeler and broke his H&K was able to get the pistol out of the SERPA after major dirt and damage to the holster. I know people have tried hard to make the SERPA mess up and it took them a while to get the jam/lock they wanted. I dont roll in the dirt a lot, but in Iraq the SERPA's did well where the Safarilands caused issues. But it might be like when H&K issued us the XM-8's and they blew up and had issues. Some how all the pictures and posts that showed and talked about the issues were gone and "all was well".

Sharkey
10-12-2012, 13:16
I would take a look at the Safariland ALS, I think the model is 6378. This is a paddle holster and it is rock solid. The problem I have with pancake or IWB holsters in the issue of reholstering one handed. Plus, with the ALS feature it offers some retention value, I use this holster for duty and really like it. As I recall they run around $38 dollars, +/-.

Good luck and stay safe.

This would be my suggestion. I used a paddle holster for 10 yrs but it wasn't the ALS. I think you should really be asking what type of pen is best for writing and how is your typing skills. :whistling:

Don't worry, plenty of time to figure it out over those long lunches.

CanIhaveGasCash
10-12-2012, 16:29
I have heard the bashing of the SERPA with "Offical Letters", but it is issued to all officers at my PD, Uniformed, plain clothes, SWAT, Motors, etc... Even used them in Iraq with dust and dirt. I know of no one with an issue with the SERPA other than on line. I do first hand Officers and Soldiers who had issues with the Safariland.

The Safari ALS system seemed to have more issues, but I guess now its "fixed".

You can Google "safariland als problems" and read some of the like issues people were having.

IMHO it almost seems like Safariland had some issues a few years back and now everyone is trying to say Blackhawk has issues, like its a game or something. Maybe any hot and dirty holster can mess up (well it have to be dirt for the SERPA). I know the BP agent that wrecked on the 4 wheeler and broke his H&K was able to get the pistol out of the SERPA after major dirt and damage to the holster. I know people have tried hard to make the SERPA mess up and it took them a while to get the jam/lock they wanted. I dont roll in the dirt a lot, but in Iraq the SERPA's did well where the Safarilands caused issues. But it might be like when H&K issued us the XM-8's and they blew up and had issues. Some how all the pictures and posts that showed and talked about the issues were gone and "all was well".

Some of the issues I have seen with the SERPA is caused by people purchasing off duty versions for duty use and not knowing any better. I've seen them come apart on several occasions during gun grabs during arrest control (thankfully) leaving the cop standing there with nothing on his belt.

I've seen another case where the mounting plate on the holster cracked.

I've seen a SERPA inexplicably lock up and not allow the gun to be released.

I also work a climate that can be brutally cold at times, which tends to make plastic.

I also think that it is too easy for someone to defeat the retention on a SERPA during a gun grab. And since every nutjob at the range has one, it is widely known how they work.

I haven't had any first hand experience with the Safariland ALS system, and haven't heard any stories second hand from other instructors. But I don't doubt there have been issues in the past.

DoogieHowser
10-12-2012, 18:48
Check out a yaqui slide, they are universal and cheap and work very well.

bccop
10-12-2012, 20:46
I was issued a 6378 as a plainclothes holster a few months ago and think it's great. It is a bit bulky but quick to draw from and easy to reholster.

I'm assuming you are going to a plainclothes invest position?

kpuscg04
10-12-2012, 21:47
Raven Concealment. I switched from a Serpa to Raven Concealment about 3 months ago. I've been very happy with it. I even told my wife I'm done buying holsters now.

Kahr_Glockman
10-13-2012, 09:04
Drive your happy ass to GT's and get a Safariland ALS. They have the paddle or the belt flavors. 50 bucks tops.

ca survivor
10-14-2012, 08:44
Want me to send you one of mine to use?

I have a COM kydex from my pro. It'll work. Lefty, railed, paddle OWB.
this forum is full of nice people. :wavey:

Cochese
10-14-2012, 10:27
Raven Concealment. I switched from a Serpa to Raven Concealment about 3 months ago. I've been very happy with it. I even told my wife I'm done buying holsters now.

www.coloradoholster.com

Raven without the wait or pricing.

Cochese
10-14-2012, 10:29
this forum is full of nice people. :wavey:

Don't let me fool you. I'd just as soon kick him right in the balls for no good reason. :supergrin:

And he was in one of my weddings. :rofl:

Newcop761
10-14-2012, 12:38
I've been using the 6378 for a month now like it.

RyanNREMTP
10-14-2012, 16:32
I don't have much experience with holsters to offer but I recommend using the same draw and retention brand holster you are already familiar with. That way there is no confusion with it when you need to draw.

Outhouse Hub, the misinformation solution.

jokon
10-14-2012, 21:14
Check out 101 Holsters. I bought one for a light bearing G22. That paired with my Ares Gear Ranger belt provides a solid platform.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Goldendog Redux
10-14-2012, 21:34
Guys,

Any suggestions.......

Get this one (http://www.copquest.com/14-1640.htm). Take the light of your operator and use this. It has a thumb break that will not disengage your thumb safety.

It is really a pretty good holster for a decent price.

Perhaps I am snotty and judgmental but Blackhawk Serpas scream cheap and underinformed to me

MF

indigent
10-14-2012, 22:12
Don't let me fool you. I'd just as soon kick him right in the balls for no good reason. :supergrin:

And he was in one of my weddings. :rofl:

Don't let him fool you... He learned how to be "officer friendly" from me......

As for the wedding.............. I have no comment. :supergrin: