Work boots [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Work boots

PhatAlbert
10-12-2012, 01:56
Ok people need some opinions on good work boots. Not really the story for me but your input on certain boots and their environments. I got a new job at a seed production plant and need good steel toe boots because my cheap ones are falling apart. Let me hear it and stories are good

Posted from an iPhone

jp3975
10-12-2012, 01:58
Most people buy Red wings.

John Deer boots are pretty comfortable though.

faawrenchbndr
10-12-2012, 02:01
Georgia Boots
Redwing
Wolverine
Timberland Pro

All good choices. Subjective to the wearer. When trying them on,
you may need a 1/2 size larger for the toe. You do NOT want
your toes to be able to feel the toe cap when kneeling.
I rank comfort over price........

rick458
10-12-2012, 02:35
Georgias have been the most comfortable for me

UtahIrishman
10-12-2012, 03:49
I have Redwings...very comfortable

average nobody
10-12-2012, 04:26
I bought a pair of carolina's linemen boots around 2004, but they were about $230 ,they have great ankle support non slip souls, kinda feels like wearing ice skates .made that way for ankle support but are heavy and takes a little while to get used to. boots are high laces up past calves and water wont get in until about 6 inches high, except for all the scuff marks on the toes they are still goin strong.

jeremy_283
10-12-2012, 07:25
redwing

Dennis in MA
10-12-2012, 07:26
The more standing you do, the better you want the cushioning and such, which can be HEAVY.

The more walking you do, the lighter you want them.

I've got a pair of RW's when I wanted the "best of the best." If I was standing on concrete 8 hours a day, I'd wear them. I don't. I wear my Timberland Pro's when I need boots b/c they are light. Durable but light.

Altho I will say this - Timberland uses thin leather. I've got 2 pair of shoes and one pair of boots. The advantage is they break in mega-fast. The downside is they will probably not stand up to the abuse that someone who has sharp rough objects scraping their feet a lot would go thru.

Dan_ntx
10-12-2012, 08:36
I have a pair of Ariat work boot/ropers. Thick bomber jacket leather, non slip crepe sole, and very comfy. Not sure if they make a steel toe version but worth a look if they do IMO. A good boot from a make you would not associate with a work boot.

yam
10-12-2012, 08:45
Second the Ariat. I have lace up non-steel toe. But very comfortable and very sturdy. They do make a Steel toed version.

edit to ad link to steel toed version of what I buy. http://www.cavenders.com/western/men/mens-boots-shoes/work-boots/AR008648

okie
10-12-2012, 08:48
Red Wing, end of thread:supergrin:

Steel Head
10-12-2012, 09:18
I have worn Georgia boots for the last 5 years but am now weaing Danner's.
The Danner's are super comfy and are holding up well.
Waterproof and durable are the important factors for me.
I'm in dirt,mud and water all day and my boots live a very hard life.
I've found after 25+ years of work that when you work on your feet spend the money on boots.

Rinspeed
10-12-2012, 10:27
Made in Portland Danners are well worth the money.

jfost11
10-12-2012, 11:13
I have always been partial to Red Wings. My father had problems with one of his feet and they were the only work boots he could stand to wear.
I have been wearing a pair of electrical hazard rated 926s for the last two years on concrete. These aren't rated as waterproof but I've kept them oiled and have never had wet socks despite numerous near soaked experiences at work. The store will oil them and replace the laces once a month for free.
The uppers are still in good shape and the soles have some wear on one side of the heel. I'll probably try to get them resoled in another year. I paid around $160 after tax for them and since I get $100/year from my employer for boots, I've actually made money off of these.
These are the most comfortable shoes I have owned. I once worked ten hours of O/T before finding out that my mother was in an accident. I went to the hospital from work and stayed there until more family could arrive from out of state. By the time I got home, I had been in those boots for about 32 hours. My feet were the only part of my body that didn't hurt.
There is a steel toe version but, since I'm not required to have them, I didn't want them. The salesman accidentally pulled the steel toes when I tried them on and I couldn't tell they were steel toe by wearing them. I did consider keeping them.

10-12-2012, 11:22
Whatever you buy, size your boots toward the end of the day when your feet are at their biggest.

glock_19guy1983
10-12-2012, 11:25
The question is, how much do you want to spend? Www.whitesboots.com

SC Tiger
10-12-2012, 11:34
Guess I'm in the minority here but Red Wing has yet to impress me.

I like the Timberland Titans but the leather tends to scuff up very quickly. I think they have a new one that is not so bad though.

HarlDane
10-12-2012, 14:09
The question is, how much do you want to spend? Www.whitesboots.comI spent two summers working for the Forest Service in timber and just about every wildland firefighter and lumberjack I worked with swore by Whites. I knew I wasn't sticking around long enough to make the investment worthwhile (ended up in a decent pair of Carolina boots), but they are some damn fine boots.

CBennett
10-12-2012, 14:40
only ones i wont buy anymore are red wings. Felt like walking on rocks. Most uncomfortable boots ive ever had on my feet.

i use danners,lowa,meindel, but never again red wings...salvation army got those after trying to break them in and them shredding my feet..just horrid

Glock&KimberLady
10-12-2012, 15:42
Mr. GKL has a pair of Wolverines that have lasted him EIGHTEEN YEARS. I am finally going to have to ferret out a replacement pair because the toe is separating from the leather. They have survived work, camping, hunting, hiking, etc. These are non-steel toes.

I have also heard good things about Red Wing and Danner, particularly with regard to steel toes.

jakebrake
10-12-2012, 15:43
i'm a big fan of carolinas.

fnfalman
10-12-2012, 15:49
If you have the moolah to spend ($500 and up), go with custom boots from White's.

http://www.whitesboots.com/

There are a couple of other custom work boots outfits too but White's is the one I'm most familiar with. My best friend has some funky feet and he couldn't get satisfaction with Red Wing or others until he found White's.

As for me Red Wing boots work fine for me, but I don't go for the cheaper Chinese ones.

itstime
10-12-2012, 15:56
Redwings

Snaps
10-12-2012, 19:06
Nike makes some damn comfy boots.

davew83
10-12-2012, 19:35
Liking my Georgia Boot boots.