Skimmed through the VP debate today. I can't find........ [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Skimmed through the VP debate today. I can't find........

OctoberRust
10-12-2012, 08:42
Where they were supposed to debate about gun control.

I'm sure this would have helped Ryan a lot, given he bring the talking points most of us here do to the table.

Did I miss this somewhere in the debate, or did they never address the issue of gun laws/control?

jeanderson
10-12-2012, 08:50
Everyone in this forum is just dying to hear this issue come up. It won't. At least it will not be a subject that garners much more than a minute of discussion.

Obama/Biden know this is a loser issue. The majority of people (even those who don't own guns) think this country's gun laws are just fine the way they are.

Now, if Obama wins... Look out! On November 7 I'm heading to the gun store to get me a shotgun, rifle and a couple of more pistols. The UPS guy is going to have a hernia when my ammo order is delivered.

OctoberRust
10-12-2012, 08:53
Everyone in this forum is just dying to hear this issue come up. It won't. At least it will not be a subject that garners much more than a minute of discussion.

Obama/Biden know this is a loser issue. The majority of people (even those who don't own guns) think this country's gun laws are just fine the way they are.

Now, if Obama wins... Look out! On November 7 I'm heading to the gun store to get me a shotgun, rifle and a couple of more pistols. The UPS guy is going to have a hernia when my ammo order is delivered.

Fair enough, and makes sense. Just wanted to make sure I didn't skip it.

I have a question for what I bold/underlined for you though.

I can see the argument of getting an AR-15 or AK variant if he wins, and even pistols that have capacities more than 10 rounds, but why a shotgun? I can't think of any restrictions put on shotguns since the NFA of 1934 with barrel length. Hell, the ATF even lifted the "destructive device" off shotguns, and deemed slugs under "firearms" instead. I would think even if Obama was pushing for an AWB or whatever other crazy law they'd push for, shotguns would be at the very bottom of the list, since the fudds all use those to hunt with.

BuckyP
10-12-2012, 09:24

Of course the moderator could have brought it up, like she did with abortion... oh wait, you did say the Obama campaign would not bring this up. :whistling:

jeanderson
10-12-2012, 09:25
I have a question for what I bold/underlined for you though.

I can see the argument of getting an AR-15 or AK variant if he wins, and even pistols that have capacities more than 10 rounds, but why a shotgun? I can't think of any restrictions put on shotguns since the NFA of 1934 with barrel length. Hell, the ATF even lifted the "destructive device" off shotguns, and deemed slugs under "firearms" instead. I would think even if Obama was pushing for an AWB or whatever other crazy law they'd push for, shotguns would be at the very bottom of the list, since the fudds all use those to hunt with.

I think this administration would be crazy enough to go after all guns - from AR-15s to BB guns. Put nothing past this evil man. An executive order and, if the Republicans don't regain the Senate, a couple of more liberal Supreme Court justices and poof! - no more 2A rights.

And ammo? Buy all you can. Look for the EPA to bring up their lead poisoning issues again. Also, if the SHTF and the bottom falls out, ammo is great for bartering.

OctoberRust
10-12-2012, 13:20
I think this administration would be crazy enough to go after all guns - from AR-15s to BB guns. Put nothing past this evil man. An executive order and, if the Republicans don't regain the Senate, a couple of more liberal Supreme Court justices and poof! - no more 2A rights.

And ammo? Buy all you can. Look for the EPA to bring up their lead poisoning issues again. Also, if the SHTF and the bottom falls out, ammo is great for bartering.

The democrats saw how much of a political failure/suicide it was to do an AWB.

what makes you think they'll make it cover even more firearms this time?

Honestly, I could see great internal conflict between the states and fed if this happens. I really could see states seceding from the union if Obama signed an executive order to ban everything from BB guns to AR-15s.

BuckyP
10-12-2012, 14:20

Honestly, I could see great internal conflict between the states and fed if this happens. I really could see states seceding from the union if Obama signed an executive order to ban everything from BB guns to AR-15s.

Yes, politically not good, but you KNOW they want gun bans. That being said, those that don't have political capital on the line (like a lame duck president), could easily shift gears and push for it.

ModGlock17
10-12-2012, 14:41
I think both campaigns may think that GunControl is not an issue that effect enough people to make the list of things to discuss at a debate. Just my guess.

jakebrake
10-12-2012, 15:15
i'm guessing it's going to come up in the town hall debate.

OctoberRust
10-12-2012, 15:16
I think both campaigns may think that GunControl is not an issue that effect enough people to make the list of things to discuss at a debate. Just my guess.

100 million American gun owners? Out of a population of 350 million Americans, give or take?

jeanderson
10-12-2012, 15:16

I too can see states seceding over this. I'm not just saying this as a gun nut, but the second amendment is really fundamental and makes the US constitution very unique. There's no country on earth that has it baked into their consistution that the general public has the right to arm themselves. It's the measure of last resort for us to protect ourselves against tyranny. It's fundamental to the idea that we, the people, are in charge of the government, not the other way around.

Obama's view is completely different here, and to ultimately pull off his takeover and trash the constitution, he needs to disarm the public. I'm absolutely convinced that this is his plan.

cowboy1964
10-12-2012, 20:45
Also, if the SHTF and the bottom falls out, ammo is great for bartering.

Sorry but I'm not supplying ammo to strangers, especially in a Without Rule of Law scenario.

Vic777
10-13-2012, 03:58
Sorry but I'm not supplying ammo to strangers, especially in a Without Rule of Law scenario.OK, then just barter with people you know.

ModGlock17
10-13-2012, 06:17
100 million American gun owners? Out of a population of 350 million Americans, give or take?

100m owners but it does not mean 100m who sees GControl as a, say top 5, issues in life. We are, but not all owners. They may see it as secondary to: credibility and competence, as in Benghazi; tax ideology; governing ideology, etc.