Fla. education board OKs race-based academic plan [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Fla. education board OKs race-based academic plan

SMOKEin
10-12-2012, 11:18
http://www.usatoday.com/story/ondeadline/2012/10/11/florida-board-education-race-reading-asians/1626837/

"The plan, approved by the state Board of Education on Tuesday night, calls for 90% of Asian students to be at or above grade level in reading by 2018. It expects whites to be at 88%, Hispanics at 81% and blacks at 74%."

:upeyes:

mikeflys1
10-12-2012, 11:48
ahh nevermind

skinny99
10-12-2012, 11:57
I don't like this plan. No reason to separate. Put together a realistic set of goals for everyone. Here is the key. If you can't keep up you don't pass. Stop teaching to the stupidest kid in class and start teaching to the smartest ones. No child left behind is the stupidest plan ever. Failing should provide the motivation to work harder and succeed.

arclight610
10-12-2012, 11:58
Asians leading the way

Bilbo Bagins
10-12-2012, 12:04
What if your half chinese and half black?

I wonder if they do the same thing for other classes. Black kids would have to do more laps around the Gym. Also when they do the parenting assignment where you have to care for egg, will all the black boys be excused from participating? :dunno:

fnfalman
10-12-2012, 12:13
So, what will happen to the 10% of Asian kids who are not as smart as the rest of the Asian kids?

LAWDOGKMS
10-12-2012, 12:16
http://www.usatoday.com/story/ondeadline/2012/10/11/florida-board-education-race-reading-asians/1626837/

"The plan, approved by the state Board of Education on Tuesday night, calls for 90% of Asian students to be at or above grade level in reading by 2018. It expects whites to be at 88%, Hispanics at 81% and blacks at 74%."

I don't agree with it in principle at all...race shouldn't be used in any fashion, only merit..

WARNING, POLITICALLY INCORRECT OPINION FOLLOWS!!:

I will admit though, that it does pretty accurately correlate with actual academic achievement rates (intelligence?) for the listed ethnicities.. Statistics, if accurately reported, don't lie..

tsmo1066
10-12-2012, 12:26
Ahhhhh yes. The quiet racism of lowered expectations.

THIS is the sort of thing Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton should be raising hell over because it's THIS CRAP that destroys whole generations of black youth by saying "Don't bother to strive and reach the bar...we'll just lower it a few inches for you."

:steamed::steamed::steamed:

SMOKEin
10-12-2012, 13:04
I don't agree with it in principle at all...race shouldn't be used in any fashion, only merit..

WARNING, POLITICALLY INCORRECT OPINION FOLLOWS!!:

I will admit though, that it does pretty accurately correlate with actual academic achievement rates (intelligence?) for the listed ethnicities.. Statistics, if accurately reported, don't lie..

My guess would be that the percentages are a more accurate representation of effort, parenting and accountability.

SMOKEin
10-12-2012, 13:06

THIS is the sort of thing Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton should be raising hell over because it's THIS CRAP that destroys whole generations of black youth by saying "Don't bother to strive and reach the bar...we'll just lower it a few inches for you."

This was my thought as well. It SHOULD have every group up in arms, Asian's included. :dunno:

sciolist
10-12-2012, 13:10
So, what will happen to the 10% of Asian kids who are not as smart as the rest of the Asian kids?

They go to white purgatory, and on to Open Class if they still can't perform.

LAWDOGKMS
10-12-2012, 13:10
My guess would be that the percentages are a more accurate representation of effort, parenting and accountability.

I'd beg to differ..

On almost any academic scale, certain ethnicities score subtantially lower than others....period!...no matter the neighborhood or upbringing they came from. It's so consistent, you can chart and graph it by year and there isn't much difference for the last 30 years..and A LOT has changed for the positive for different ethnicities in the last 30 years..

All the other excuses as to why are simply that..excuses..

SMOKEin
10-12-2012, 13:17
I'd beg to differ..

On almost any academic scale, certain ethnicities score subtantially lower than others....period!...no matter the neighborhood or upbringing they came from.

I agree... And what do you think causes those consistent gaps in the score from race to race?

John Rambo
10-12-2012, 13:29

Seppuku.

Bren
10-12-2012, 14:00
I'd beg to differ..

On almost any academic scale, certain ethnicities score subtantially lower than others....period!...no matter the neighborhood or upbringing they came from. It's so consistent, you can chart and graph it by year and there isn't much difference for the last 30 years..and A LOT has changed for the positive for different ethnicities in the last 30 years..

All the other excuses as to why are simply that..excuses..

It's true, but since there is no evidence to refute it, people like Charles Murray have found out that saying such things make you very, very unpopular with liberals.

I agree... And what do you think causes those consistent gaps in the score from race to race?

It seems to be inherited intelligence (as opposed to the portion that comes from environment/learning). However, in a world where we are expected to believe your choice of sex partner can be inherited, we are supposed to ignore that possibility about things like intelligence.

LAWDOGKMS
10-12-2012, 16:04

I think Bren hit the nail on the head. I'd never heard it described that way, but "inherited intelligence" sounds like a good way to put it..

This is completely off the political-correctness charts, but I do believe that different ethnicities have different levels of intelligence.. Call it evolution if you believe in that or what, but just like in the bird-world, certain breeds of parrot are extremely intelligent and other aren't.

Of course, those that fall into the ethnicity that is statistically (on average, there are always exceptions) deemed not as intelligent as another are going to be offended, but that's just human nature.

Yes, we're all human beings and worthy of the exact same opportunities, freedoms etc, but we are different, even biologically different in ways, and I'm not talking about skin pigmentation, we are of different "breeds" for lack of a better term. Anyone who believes all ethnicities are exactly the same except for different shaped eyes, skin color and hair structure just don't have a grip on reality.

Let's take the far ends of the spectrum, Asians vs Blacks as an example. Is there anyone that would argue that blacks could, on average, ever compete academically/statistically with asians in academics?

I'm not asian by the way, and fall right into the middle-average of the ethnicity intelligence charts, and I'm okay with that and not afraid to say that on average, asian kids could run circles around me in high school and college, and for some of them, they even had a language barrier as english was a second language and THEY STILL EXCELLED! No..I don't wish I was asian either, I'm perfectly comfortable with who I am and the fact that my people fall into the "middle" of the intelligence range.. I might even be low middle average as in high school I was a B - D student, depending on how interested I was in the class.

Further, I believe that if you took a 50 black infants and 50 asian infants just out of the womb with no chance for any external influence and shipped them to antartica and raised and educated them in a perfect controlled environment with gender and ethnicity-neutral robot-nannys and teachers, fed them the best nutritious food available, gave them all the best access to information that money can buy etc, what do you think would be the result?

I know what my theory is...

cgwahl
10-12-2012, 16:34
Are there no Indians in Florida? They're the new Jew, you know?

This stuff is sad actually. I can't recall if it's in California or countrywide, but some Asians are actually starting to apply to colleges as White so they have a better chance of getting in because of race ratios or something.

RedTop
10-12-2012, 17:02
It seems to be inherited intelligence (as opposed to the portion that comes from environment/learning). However, in a world where we are expected to believe your choice of sex partner can be inherited, we are supposed to ignore that possibility about things like intelligence.

It's called nature versus nurture. Nature usually wins, regardless of the environment, but do-gooders will stop at nothing to prove you otherwise.

cgwahl
10-12-2012, 17:20

Eh, certain groups/areas don't view education as important as other groups. It is not always racial. In a lot of cases, a lot of these people probably just go to school for the free lunch (and sometimes breakfast) or to hang out with friends.

The why they don't view it as important is the question. Either, they have no plans to go to college or believe they can't go to college (money, family life, etc.). Not to mention, with some blacks and Hispanics at least, being smart is being white (I'm paraphrasing this, it's been a while since I've been in high school where I talked to people that think that way).

NMGlocker
10-12-2012, 18:26
There are many in the black community that think lowered expectations are a victory for civil rights.

hpracing007
10-12-2012, 18:51
I might even be low middle average as in high school I was a B - D student, depending on how interested I was in the class.

There you go... Sometimes you don't get to do what you're interested in, that's life. If you don't want to put in the time regardless, you shouldn't expect anything other than mediocre results.

Mohammad Ali said, "I run long on the road, before I dance under the lights."

I'll give you my perspective, as an American who has parents from Asia (I'm a proud American, when I'm asked what nationality I am, I say American.)

When I was growing up, my parents didn't put the heat on me, like many people think Asian parents are. I put it on myself. I was told, if you make good grades, you'll get a good job (that hasn't worked out but that's another thread). I spent hours and hours and hours reading books, as English wasn't my first language and I did not want to be beat.

My grades were outstanding. Got a good scholarship.

When I went to college, didn't put in as many hours as I should, looking back. Graduated with meh gpa.

Now, I've been working on this program called the CFA, supposedly the gold standard of finance ect ect...

They said to study 250-300 hrs, I put in 600-700. I slaughtered it.

"the harder I work, the luckier i get".

If someone worked as hard as I did and failed, I might have some sympathy. As an ex-slacker myself, I had only one person to blame. And it definately wasn't the asians moving the curve.

tsmo1066
10-12-2012, 19:06
"the harder I work, the luckier i get".

Amazing how that works, isn't it?

Congrats on nailing the CFA!

arclight610
10-12-2012, 19:10
I'm Asian. My mom told me that if I kept up straight A's, she would give me a monetary reward. One time I got an A-, and she argued that it wasn't a real A and didn't give me anything. Put that into perspective, and you can see why the difference in academic success amongst the different races.

Bren
10-12-2012, 19:16
It's called nature versus nurture. Nature usually wins, regardless of the environment, but do-gooders will stop at nothing to prove you otherwise.

It isn't a matter of nature or nurture "winning." It is undisputed, even among the most liberal, that some portion of your mental ability is genetic. They simply argue that only appearance traits can be more prevanlent in a certain race, or that the inherited part is unimportant, or some other nonsense - basically, only unimportant things can be more genetically prevalent among members of a particular race. Seems to me, if you are born without the capacity, no amount of "nurture" will make you a genius.

Bren
10-12-2012, 19:19
Eh, certain groups/areas don't view education as important as other groups. It is not always racial. In a lot of cases, a lot of these people probably just go to school for the free lunch (and sometimes breakfast) or to hang out with friends.

That is certainly true, but we are talking educational achievement or SAT scores - we are talking IQ scores.

Ironbar
10-12-2012, 19:24
What if your half chinese and half black?

What if my half Chinese and half black what??

Oh, did you mean "you're"?? :tongueout:

hpracing007
10-12-2012, 19:56
Amazing how that works, isn't it?

Congrats on nailing the CFA!

Thanks! One more to go, 7 months away. It's on cuz.

g29andy
10-12-2012, 20:03
Only 90% for Asians? Come on, make it a challenge.

fnfalman
10-12-2012, 20:08
What if my half Chinese and half black what??

Depends on which half is Chinese and which half is black.

I'm not Chinese, but I'm also half-Black...the bottom half. Ergo I would still be in the 90%.

Snaps
10-12-2012, 20:46
only problem I see with it is that they'll all still get the same diploma.

The facts are just that, there is is a curve of grading based on race. People don't want to accept that fact though. They should stick with this to make sure more kids can actually graduate, but then get rid of affirmative action which will force business to hire the less intelligent and less qualified.

Taphius
10-12-2012, 21:37
Kind of wish they had this at my school. Maybe I would have actually learned something en route to my A's instead of instructors being focused on the lowest common denominator.

samurairabbi
10-12-2012, 22:14

They will somehow have to reconcile themselves to their sadly diminished chances of ever winning a Nobel prize. Oh, the horror of it all!

ithaca_deerslayer
10-12-2012, 22:30
I'm Asian. My mom told me that if I kept up straight A's, she would give me a monetary reward. One time I got an A-, and she argued that it wasn't a real A and didn't give me anything. Put that into perspective, and you can see why the difference in academic success amongst the different races.

Not race, culture. Your mom can easily have Black kids. They won't even know they are Black until the school board tells them they should slow down and act their race :)

ithaca_deerslayer
10-12-2012, 22:53
Anyone who believes all ethnicities are exactly the same except for different shaped eyes, skin color and hair structure just don't have a grip on reality.

Let's take the far ends of the spectrum, Asians vs Blacks as an example. Is there anyone that would argue that blacks could, on average, ever compete academically/statistically with asians in academics?
I believe Blacks can compete with Asians, or anyone else.

But what we have are cultural differences. The modes of entry to the US have, on average, been very different. Culture intact versus mostly damaged. Discrimination relaxed versus preserved tooth and nail.

And then when legal discrimination is removed, the Blacks have to start from lower family wealth, from concentrated poverty, with cultural structures developed to cope but not to exceed. At the same time conflicting government policies don't seem to help much.

But yes, anyone can make it in the US. Hard work, smart work, and educational efforts combine in amazing ways.

Would be nice if the expectations were the same for all the races. Take away affirmative action, and just focus more on equality of opportunity, and things will get more even for the races over time. The smart will be more easily be allowed to rise :)

And hopefully the smart can create a better world for us all. Of course it is going to take smarts combined with something more noble.

Snaps
10-12-2012, 22:59
You're forgetting an important part there. White kid stays home and studies he's a nerd, black kid does the same he ain't keep in it real. He's acting white etc.

The culture doesn't promote success, it promotes criminals

Sam Spade
10-13-2012, 07:08
That is certainly true, but we are talking educational achievement or SAT scores - we are talking IQ scores.

Your argument might hold if we were looking at the pinnacle of these kids' development. We aren't. It's a flipping public school---even someone with an 80-90 IQ can be taught to read to the 8th grade level.

eracer
10-13-2012, 07:12
State's rights?

FFR Spyder GT
10-13-2012, 07:18

What about the "other" groups?

Last time I was in FLA Cubans and people from the ME/India/Bangladesh were about 75% of the population.

airmotive
10-13-2012, 07:33
deleted for reasons that...oww hell...just deleted.

Mushinto
10-13-2012, 07:45
I was the right thing to do, but it feels wrong.

Sometimes you cannot realistically address a problem without hurting someone's feelings.

Society encourages protecting feelings at the expense of problem solving.

droidfire
10-13-2012, 08:21
...and this will be used for tax purposes how?

ithaca_deerslayer
10-13-2012, 08:30
Your argument might hold if we were looking at the pinnacle of these kids' development. We aren't. It's a flipping public school---even someone with an 80-90 IQ can be taught to read to the 8th grade level.

Exactly. The genetic part of smarts inside the kids' minds is not what is holding them back from some basic things like reading and graduating from high school.

If we start looking at pushing the limits of rocket science or curing cancer, then we start to see smart people able to solve problems that less smart people cannot understand.

Blaming genetics for not graduating high school is like blaming genetics for not being able to shoot a centered 6" group at 25 yards with a Glock. Almost no newbies can do it. But virturally all of them are genetically capable.

Some of the newbies get a good instructor, and have the time and money to practise, and believe they can do it, and are shooting 4" groups in no time.

Other newbies have more problems, like blaming their Glock for shooting low left. They believe life has dealt them a broken gun, or that they have the wrong ammo, or that they need an aftermarket barrel or better sights. Or they rush things and never get good instruction, and they get frustrated. Some assume it will be easy, having seen movies with actors, and they get mad when they can't hit the broad side of a barn upon first try.

Others grew up around guns, and not just 1911's, but double action revolvers and perhaps even Glocks. They've learned the important basics as kids, and can't even remember how they learned. Give such a kid a Glock as an adult and see what size groups he can shoot with it.

Genetic differences explaining whether someone can shoot a 6" group with Glock at 25 yards? Hardly.

noway
10-13-2012, 08:55
The title is misleading and the posters in this thread are lost. The board approved goals for achievement results. And the goals set for achievement results where set based on the past results, and scores and by race categories.

This is not racism, this facts buil over information gathered by results over years. And florida schools has always suck with a big C or D or F.

We all know that the minority schools are not equal in comparisons of the white majority schools, they typically have less teachers, in poorer areas, high crime areas, schools are under-equipped and over booked. Also these students of these schools are typical poorer in math and reading skills. And lastly most of these students are from single parents homes (hint no Dad or Papa in the picture or if he's around he's in jail )

You can search more on the FLA-EDU schools re-works and achievement goals and expectations.

jpa
10-13-2012, 09:39

Yeah, an A- is like an Asian F. :tongueout:

SixDemonBag
10-13-2012, 10:25

I agree, this plan is racist in itself...where's the outrage?

Still doesn't address the real problem; parenting. Look at the trend in household makeup from the 'smartest' to 'dumbest'. What's the pattern?

Gino
10-13-2012, 15:21
I don't think that you guys understand why this is being done. I'm a FL teacher, so I'll explain.

There is a new movement on in education that puts more pressure on the teacher/school for a student's learning. We are now being punished if our students don't do well on standardized tests. My evaluation this year is 50% based on how my kids do on these tests. My school's grade is 50% based on how our students do on these tests. If we are a D or F rated school, the state penalizes us.

This doesn't make sense, because we don't have equal classes/schools, so how can you compare me to the next teacher who teaches at an affluent school with low minority enrollment? Or how can my school compete with the rich one down the road?

Since this is now state law, and our pay and employment are depending on our evaluations/school grades, this is an attempt to even the playing field.

This way, a poor minority school can "compete" with a rich white school when it comes to school grades. And the teachers in that poor school won't be penalized for working there.

In Florida, the poor, minority schools are constantly graded as D or F schools, because they can't compete on standardized tests. Because of this, the teachers are running away from these schools because they are being unfairly penalized for working there.

ithaca_deerslayer
10-13-2012, 16:26
I don't think that you guys understand why this is being done. I'm a FL teacher, so I'll explain.

There is a new movement on in education that puts more pressure on the teacher/school for a student's learning. We are now being punished if our students don't do well on standardized tests. My evaluation this year is 50% based on how my kids do on these tests. My school's grade is 50% based on how our students do on these tests. If we are a D or F rated school, the state penalizes us.

This doesn't make sense, because we don't have equal classes/schools, so how can you compare me to the next teacher who teaches at an affluent school with low minority enrollment? Or how can my school compete with the rich one down the road?

Since this is now state law, and our pay and employment are depending on our evaluations/school grades, this is an attempt to even the playing field.

This way, a poor minority school can "compete" with a rich white school when it comes to school grades. And the teachers in that poor school won't be penalized for working there.

In Florida, the poor, minority schools are constantly graded as D or F schools, because they can't compete on standardized tests. Because of this, the teachers are running away from these schools because they are being unfairly penalized for working there.

Then they should set goals based on per pupil funding.

Setting goals based on race is, well racist :)

M&P Shooter
10-13-2012, 16:41
Sony will hire 90% of Asian graduates while the other 10% start a drug gang and when Sony needs someone whacked they will go to the 10% who can't read:cool:

Drilled
10-13-2012, 17:08

Good point! Only 10%?

tsmo1066
10-13-2012, 17:33
You're forgetting an important part there. White kid stays home and studies he's a nerd, black kid does the same he ain't keep in it real. He's acting white etc.

The culture doesn't promote success, it promotes criminals

Quoted for truth. My stepdaughter's friend, who is black, caught some crap from other black children at their Middle School just last week for "acting white". So what exactly was it she did to "act white", you ask?

She made the A/B Honor roll!

Snaps
10-13-2012, 22:12
I've learned a lot from listening to phone calls at work.

"Dat boy tryina be white, he be all goin do school n shi"

gjk5
10-13-2012, 22:28
What about the "other" groups?

Last time I was in FLA Cubans and people from the ME/India/Bangladesh were about 75% of the population.

So Cubans aren't Hispanic?

yeah, it's all socioeconomics........

Averageman
10-13-2012, 23:41
My Son is Mixed race, both Black and White.
I taught him to read by Spiderman Comics, I would read them to myself until he couldn't stand it anymore and wanted to know what was going on.
The reading came really easy after that.
By the time he was in third grade he was reading at a 12th grade level.
I was rebuilding trucks at the time and worked with him all the time and explained measurements and Math related to what we were doing. He would sit on a ladder and watch and actually help when he could.
I knew he was pretty smart and an avid learner.
So I ask him to be tested for Gifted and Talented. NO was the responce and an enthusiastic No at that.
So I pushed the issue, he got tested by his Kindergarten Teacher who he really liked and he smoked, aboslutely smoked the test.
I think we live up to what is expected of us.
I dont know what this means as to this article, but perhaps if little is expected, little is given.

Clutch Cargo
10-14-2012, 00:29
There are many in the black community that think lowered expectations are a victory for civil rights.

Those are the same folks that wonder why they cannot secure gainful employment.

ithaca_deerslayer
10-14-2012, 06:27
My Son is Mixed race, both Black and White.
I taught him to read by Spiderman Comics, I would read them to myself until he couldn't stand it anymore and wanted to know what was going on.
The reading came really easy after that.
By the time he was in third grade he was reading at a 12th grade level.
I was rebuilding trucks at the time and worked with him all the time and explained measurements and Math related to what we were doing. He would sit on a ladder and watch and actually help when he could.
I knew he was pretty smart and an avid learner.
So I ask him to be tested for Gifted and Talented. NO was the responce and an enthusiastic No at that.
So I pushed the issue, he got tested by his Kindergarten Teacher who he really liked and he smoked, aboslutely smoked the test.
I think we live up to what is expected of us.
I dont know what this means as to this article, but perhaps if little is expected, little is given.

In the context of the OP article, one has to wonder WHY the school said NO about testing your son.

Averageman
10-14-2012, 10:48
I fought pretty hard to get him tested and I don't give a damn why they wouldn't. It was a matter of me demanding him being tested and not backing down.
All of his teachers agreed with me, the Testing Official in charge of the program said no; I just would not take no for an answer.
Some kids are just nervous test takers, I still am.
Being that his Kindergarten Teacher agreed with me; She was a big help and actually sat in on the test. She didn't help him in any way, but he could look over and see she was there.
He is a Junior in HS now and active in the Student Counsel and the Robotics Club. He takes Trig, Statistics and Chem this year, so he is a pretty decent Math Student. I'm sure he will be a great College Student and a great asset in the job market.
I have no regrets about being a jerk in order for him to get a good education in a public school. Sometimes you have to go in and demand in order to get what is necassary.

ithaca_deerslayer
10-14-2012, 12:30
I fought pretty hard to get him tested and I don't give a damn why they wouldn't. It was a matter of me demanding him being tested and not backing down.

I'm sure at the moment the "why" wasn't important.

I meant now, looking back, and in the context of this thread, I wonder what their problem was.

noway
10-14-2012, 12:53

Very well worded.
:thumbsup:

Mushinto
10-14-2012, 12:55
Then they should set goals based on per pupil funding.

Setting goals based on race is, well racist :)

What does that mean?

Averageman
10-14-2012, 12:59
I'm sure at the moment the "why" wasn't important.

I meant now, looking back, and in the context of this thread, I wonder what their problem was.
I really don't know, I certainly dont want to think it was racism and I never would play that card, or allow my Son to.
I must say though it felt like She had some sort of bias. He smoked the test and in the end she ate a large plate of crow. She was keen on saying "He just doesn't meet the guidelines to be tested"; however I noticed almost all of the kids in the program had Teachers as Parents.
It was not the first or the last incident we had with public schools and it would really anger me as we dealt with it, but that just makes me want to fight harder.
The bullying thing we went through was harder for him to deal with than the extra work in the G&T program.

ithaca_deerslayer
10-14-2012, 13:46
What does that mean?

Lazy people use race as a proxy for other more important measures.

Race does not matter, until others treat people differently because of that other person's race.

If money spent on pupils is the important thing, then use that as the categorizing method.

ithaca_deerslayer
10-14-2012, 13:49
[B] She was keen on saying "He just doesn't meet the guidelines to be tested".

"Oh, ok, and those are?"

Funny story. All we can do is laugh at it in the end. Glad you won those particular battles.

Averageman
10-14-2012, 14:04
"Oh, ok, and those are?"

Funny story. All we can do is laugh at it in the end. Glad you won those particular battles.
Exactly..I couldn't get an answer about those "Guidelines", but I had more than one run in with her while my Son was in that school.
Later while I was in the "Troops to Teachers" program I found that there is a certain segment of the Student Population that doesn't stand an F'ing chance. Parents, Teachers and the Administration had given up on them.
I had a young Lady tell me her Mothers Boyfriend was raping her while Mom was working third shift. I took her to a counselor immeadiatly. The counselor blew it off for two hours unitl I threatened and called CPS about the issue.
She was one of "Those Kids" and so the Counselor didn't believe She had an issue.