LaRue vs. Daniel Defense [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : LaRue vs. Daniel Defense

Panglоss
10-12-2012, 12:21
This is another x vs. y thread.

Of course I know much of it comes down to personal preference.

I like both rifles and think you probably can't go wrong with either, but what reasons would you guys offer to go for one over the other? ;)

humanguerrilla
10-12-2012, 13:52
depends on model and intended use.

Larue is a work of art, beautifully machined billet, very tight. DD is no nonsense, well put together off the shelf milspec. The new DD v7 rifles look very interesting. I've fallen in love with the slim handguard on my Larue Predatar and won't be going back. Larue for me, though might go with DD instead of a Stealth build, especially v7 rifle if price were right.

MrMurphy
10-12-2012, 14:05
Either will do you fine.

I'd pick the DD for more of a general purpose carbine (Patrol rifle, etc), the LT if you're more precision oriented.

avenues165
10-12-2012, 19:09
MrMuphey has it right and his input reflects my opinion:

Larue if you want a stainless steel barreled precision rifle.

DD if you want a do-it-all chrome-lined barreled rifle.

Either would be awesome, it just depends on what you are wanting to do with the rifle.

humanguerrilla - If you don't mind me asking - What kind of accuracy are you getting from your Larue PredatAR? Do you notice a change of accuracy with a hot barrel? If so, how much?

Panglоss
10-13-2012, 00:22
This will basically be an all-purpose, short to mid range, combat/shtf/range/whatever rifle. I want something that is accurate, durable, and reliable.

Was leaning toward the LaRue because I like that they are lightweight and that they are supposed to be very accurate rifles. Also heard that their warranty service is very good (though I'm sure DD is good too).

I don't really have an easy way to test out either of the guns since I live in the people's republic of Illinois and large gun retailers don't exist in the area...

MrMurphy
10-13-2012, 03:27
Both of them are more accurate than you are. The LaRue with the correct ammo and decent shooter will shoot sub MOA all day long.

The DD will probably shoot nearly as good. Considering an out of the box M16 is expected to be 2-3 MOA, either is far more accurate than they 'need' to be. Both are durable and reliable. I've shot more rounds through LT rifles than you'll probably ever have available to you in your lifetime.

Either brand will serve you well. Very few brands of rifles I would carry into a combat situation without a lot of prior testing and disassembly to ensure it was correctly built to specs. LaRue, Daniel Defense, Bravo Company Manufacturing, and Colt are on that list, as is Noveske and one or two others. I was on active duty, received a brand new M4 carbine right out of the box, ran 180 rounds or so through it zeroing and qualifying and went on duty with it from then on, so I know exactly what that's like.

Any of them would get a basic fieldstrip and eyeball (anyone 'can' screw up) test fire (200-300 rounds) and a lube, then be good to go as far as I'm concerned.

Compared to the going-over i'd subject most lesser brands with variable QC to, that's saying something.

LT can make light rifles, they can also make heavy rifles. I imagine you're looking at the PredatAR if you're talking 'light'. The PredatAR was made as a carry much-shoot little hunting rifle. As a combat rifle, I'd be looking at the OBR-Light in 5.56mm or the PredatOBR which combines the best of both. That handguard does work, a 90 round burst on full auto (using a full auto Colt lower) kept the handguard cool enough no gloves were needed.

TheBelly
10-13-2012, 05:34
What kind of barrel life can be expected out of the 18" Larue PredatAR 7.62 barrel?

Can I order an OBR barrel to fit my PredatAR?

WoodenPlank
10-13-2012, 07:09
What kind of barrel life can be expected out of the 18" Larue PredatAR 7.62 barrel?

LaRue advertises 10,000+ rounds, as I remember.

The PredatOBR is a PredatAR with OBR's heavier profile barrel. I doubt LaRue will sell you just the barrel.

TheBelly
10-13-2012, 07:51

The PredatOBR is a PredatAR with OBR's heavier profile barrel. I doubt LaRue will sell you just the barrel.

I'm wondeirng how the gas systems between the OBR and the PredatAR are similar and how they are different.

WoodenPlank
10-13-2012, 10:46
I'm wondeirng how the gas systems between the OBR and the PredatAR are similar and how they are different.

Honestly, I'm not aware of a difference between them. Someone else with a little more in-depth knowledge might know better than I do, though. Otherwise, shoot the folks at LT an email, and I'm sure they will be happy to help.

Panglоss
10-13-2012, 11:56
Right, I was wondering that too: they mention the "famous PSTTM gas system" in the description for the OBRs, but I can't find any info on what that means or how it is different from the standard gas system found in an AR.

The OBR and PredatOBR (yet to be released it seems) do look nice, but I think that's more than I'd want to spend on an AR.

avenues165
10-13-2012, 12:16
I believe the PredatOBR has an adjustable gas system like the OBR, so you can adjust for suppressor, non-suppressed, or turn it off for single shots. The PredatAR does not have the adjustable gas system.

If I could start over, I would get me a PredatAR instead of piecing rifles together. I actually may still go this route in the future.

I would also love a DD midlength 16" rifle with one of their freefloat handguards.

Either would rock for your applications, in my very humble opinion. Listen to someone like MrMurphy, who clearly has a lot of experience with ARs, professionally and as a civilian.

Cole125
10-13-2012, 12:16

If you can afford to wear out a PredatAR 7.62 barrel, you are one rich man!

OP, LaRue all the way. DD is top notch gear but LaRue is a step up. They go above and beyond the "high end mil spec" of DD.

MrMurphy
10-13-2012, 15:04
The OBRs have the suppressed/unsuppressed option. Have not shot or handled the Pred myself, if no suppressor is in your future, not a problem.

As to barrel life, i have yet to hear of anyone shooting out a LT Stealth barrel who wasnt getting free ammo from the heavens, possibly not even then. And they
ve been out a lot longer than either the OBR or PredatAR has.

Panglоss
10-13-2012, 16:57
Sounds like the opinions here are that DD is very good, but LT in general is a bit higher quality, overall. Thanks for all the input everyone! (any more is certainly welcome too)

I'm thinking that I will probably end up going for the PredatAR, but I still have an open mind of course. I still have plenty of time, since I don't have the cash right now...but I am worried about possible AW bans, so sooner is better than later.

Then maybe I'd consider buying an 18 or 20" OBR (in 7.62) later on for longer range shooting!

MrMurphy
10-13-2012, 17:52
In the OBR 7.62 the 18's my overall favorite for 600m+ stuff, the 16 is my favorite period, as it's more maneuverable, and handles like a slightly heavy M4. You can move through buildings with it and then settle down for a long shot with nothing more than changing the optic's power.

boomhower
10-13-2012, 18:11
Either will do you fine.

I'd pick the DD for more of a general purpose carbine (Patrol rifle, etc), the LT if you're more precision oriented.

I'm going with this as well. For the money I think the Laure Predatar is hard to beat. I have two DD's and want a V7LW as my third. Larue is just a bit rich for me.(They are worth what they are asking, I just can't afford it.)

TattooedGlock
10-14-2012, 11:31
Both are great. But I'd get a POF.

MrMurphy
10-14-2012, 20:49
Having been around..I wouldn't.

humanguerrilla
10-28-2012, 16:12
humanguerrilla - If you don't mind me asking - What kind of accuracy are you getting from your Larue PredatAR? Do you notice a change of accuracy with a hot barrel? If so, how much?

Below 1 inch at 90 yards range I shoot at most of the time. It is my most accurate ar. I think the "bad stringing" of most modern light profiles is bad internets.

Foxtrotx1
10-28-2012, 16:58
Both are great. But I'd get a POF.

:rofl::rofl:

Mayhem like Me
10-30-2012, 13:27

Lothar Walther will it's a 1x8 poly with a wylde chamber

SAOD inc also specs the barrels as well.

FYI.. I have a 16 inch stealth with the same barrel it is boring accurate.