Liberty Gun Safes [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Liberty Gun Safes

sheriff733
10-12-2012, 13:24
Been looking at Liberty safes pretty hard.

Anyone have any thoughts or opinions on them? Are they worth the money?

Thanks

OctoberRust
10-12-2012, 13:27
I've got one.

I don't know the exact model off hand, but it was a step up after my house was burglarized. My old sentry safe weighted like 150 lbs unloaded and only had 2 mounting points for bolts to the slab, which the burglars got it about halfway out of the ground, but not all the way luckily.

The new liberty safe I got is about 400-500 lbs unloaded, has 4 mounting points and is SOLID. It's rated for 30 minutes in a fire, which I'm not overly concerned about compared to the burglars in my 'hood.

I paid in the ball park of 750$ for the safe, and another 150$ for the guy to deliver it and install it.

AK_Stick
10-12-2012, 13:34
They're a decent middle of the road RSC.

They won't do much against anything more than a smash and grab burglarly.

Make sure you place it, to be as effective as possible.

uptomyneck
10-12-2012, 14:15
My Liberty Franklin is a well built safe for the money. I got the manual lock. It has power so I have lights and a dehumidifier. Placed properly and secured, it can double as cover.

paynter2
10-12-2012, 14:21
I have one - Centurian model. Seems like good quality - for the money. I bolted all four bolts through the floor from the basement with carriage bolts. The door is positioned to open away from the nearest wall - so a bar can't be used to pry the door.

I also have a security system - hopefully the safe will protect the contents until either the security system scares the BG's away or my neighbors respond to the alarm.

JLB768
10-12-2012, 15:38
Had a Liberty Presidential, 900+lbs, 2 1/2 hour fire protection @ 1200*, great safe. Just make sure you place the safe in a corner, so no leverage can be had.

sheriff733
10-12-2012, 15:56
Had a Liberty Presidential, 900+lbs, 2 1/2 hour fire protection @ 1200*, great safe. Just make sure you place the safe in a corner, so no leverage can be had.

That's the one I was looking at. Looks pretty solid. All I'm wanting is a middle of the road type safe, and I'm sure this one will cut it as that, and then some.

dpadams6
10-12-2012, 16:31
Glenn Beck endorses that safe...

sheriff733
10-12-2012, 16:33
Glenn Beck endorses that safe...

So does Dave Ramsey, which is what got me interested in the brand to begin with.

:wavey:

kpuscg04
10-12-2012, 16:52
When I started looking for a safe I started with Liberty. Then I found Superior Safes and ended up purchasing one. I have been very happy with my safe.

byf43
10-12-2012, 18:44
I've got a Liberty Fat Boy.
It's anchored to concrete floor and walls, and sits in a sort of 'alcove' surrounded by concrete and tons and tons of earth.

It's also in an alarmed, video covered area.

When installing a safe, keep location in mind.
Try to put the 'latch side' of the safe near a corner, where the typical 'smash and grab' burglars won't be able to pry, easily.

Make them want to go to another target.

Also, buy a larger safe than you need, now.
You WILL outgrow it.

NDCent
10-12-2012, 19:30
I bought a fat boy too and really like it. Not a top of the line, but works for what I needed. Of all the safe videos I watched and reading I did beforehand this is the first I've heard mention of the corner/wall placement to hinder prying. :embarassed:

SpecOpsScout
10-12-2012, 21:29
I've got a Liberty Lincoln 35 with the biometric lock. It was easy to program and now takes me less then ten seconds from start to finish to get into the safe. I'm probably screwed on something like an EMP, but otherwise, it's much faster and less fumble prone then the manual dial lock. I can do it bleary eyed and in total darkness. Press one button, lay a finger on the pad and after about five seconds(give or take depending on how closely I lay my finger to the original programming), it unlocks the safe.
It's also got the internal lighting and golden rod dehumidifier. I've compared it with a few other safes friends and coworkers have and believe mine was money very well spent...I was going to get a smaller model, but took the advice to always by more then you need. I'm glad I did, as I find myself rapidly filling it...

Snaps
10-12-2012, 21:31
Glenn Beck says they're good, and I trust him.

ateamer
10-12-2012, 22:03
Ah yes, Glen Beck, then renown firearms guru. With his experience in the industry, his endorsement is unassailable.

Averageman
10-12-2012, 22:04
Any safe can be beat it is about the time it would take to beat it. Place it in a good corner with the opening hard to get leverage on and some serious bolts in to the concrete and most any crook worth his salt will walk to your wifes jewelry box instead.
Unless you have advertised that you will be gone for 24 hours and your neighbors, dog and security system all go out youre good to go.
Layers of security are what is needed.

dpadams6
10-13-2012, 04:11
Ah yes, Glen Beck, then renown firearms guru. With his experience in the industry, his endorsement is unassailable.

Can anyone remember what Glenn Beck says he ccw ????????? I heard him mention it once.

boone10
10-13-2012, 06:27
Any safe can be beat it is about the time it would take to beat it. Place it in a good corner with the opening hard to get leverage on and some serious bolts in to the concrete and most any crook worth his salt will walk to your wifes jewelry box instead.
Unless you have advertised that you will be gone for 24 hours and your neighbors, dog and security system all go out youre good to go.
Layers of security are what is needed.

A poster after my own heart. I have been recommending (and always trying to add to my own) layers of security. It's all about time. My wrought iron gate, dogs, deadbolt locks, monitored security system, etc. all take time BEFORE the BG even gets to the safe. Key on those type items as well, be less predictable when you're home and away and, of course, never advertise when you will be away.

A friend of mine (cop) uses commercial toolboxes (Jobox, or similar) bolted and strategically placed in his basement for his guns, ammo, and other valuables--with other "layers" ahead or those.

Rancher
10-13-2012, 08:24
I have two. Both bolted to the basement floor with the door opening along side a wall to help deter any leverage from prying. Saw the video of one being pushed over then opened with a couple pry bars. Both mine are so dang heavy even if not bolted down it would take a lot to push over. Wish I had the electronic key pad, would do that over if I could.

For a while Sams had the Fat Boy at a great price. Curbside pick up. I hauled both mine home on a small trailer on their backs with a rented appliance dolly attached and held down with ratchet straps. Took two of us to get them up and in the house. Thankfully french doors made it easier.

Rancher

Easterbrook
10-13-2012, 10:04

http://i.imgur.com/Mqxpc.png

sigman69
10-13-2012, 12:17
I have one...I highly recommend one. When it was delivered it was lag bolted to the floor in the basement.

F350
10-13-2012, 14:47
I have had one for 18 years, it is the Lincoln 50, up graded the fire protection, and added expanding fire foam at the door opening, at the time I had the option to upgrade the door to the Presidential with the 26 locking bolts and thicker steal at a nominal price , empty the safe weighs 1500 # and is bolted to the floor. I use to install phone systems and kept fire caulk on the truck so the recesses for floor bolts are packed. They didn't have bio-metric locks but I did get the electronic combo. It is damned funny to see the looks on the faces of movers when they first see it :tongueout::rofl:

It sits in a corner with hinges on the wall side, it has non exposed hinges and all live bolts so there is no prying open of the door and the one exposed side is where I "store" 6, 1# cans of FFFg black powder at various locations inside just incase someone wants to use a torch to get inside.

Couldn't be happier with it!

Also; NEVER set a steal safe on a concrete floor, it will draw moisture and rust the bottom always set it in at least a section of carpet, mine sits on thin wood slats ~ 2X1/4 to allow air to circulate underneath.

byf43
10-13-2012, 15:30
Also; NEVER set a steel safe on a concrete floor, it will draw moisture and rust the bottom always set it in at least a section of carpet, mine sits on thin wood slats ~ 2X1/4 to allow air to circulate underneath.

Great point!!

Two thicknesses of 3/4" plywood on concrete w/ bolt holes drilled through.

Holes caulked with GE Silicone II.

Rancher
10-13-2012, 16:58
Great point!!

Two thicknesses of 3/4" plywood on concrete w/ bolt holes drilled through.

Holes caulked with GE Silicone II.

I used a rubber stall matt cut to fit. I was able to tighten it down really well. The matt is at least 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick and has what I would describe a channels on the underside and flat on top so there would be a bit of airflow under it to prevent any moisture problems.

Rancher

dpadams6
10-13-2012, 18:49
I have had one for 18 years, it is the Lincoln 50, up graded the fire protection, and added expanding fire foam at the door opening, at the time I had the option to upgrade the door to the Presidential with the 26 locking bolts and thicker steal at a nominal price , empty the safe weighs 1500 # and is bolted to the floor. I use to install phone systems and kept fire caulk on the truck so the recesses for floor bolts are packed. They didn't have bio-metric locks but I did get the electronic combo. It is damned funny to see the looks on the faces of movers when they first see it :tongueout::rofl:

It sits in a corner with hinges on the wall side, it has non exposed hinges and all live bolts so there is no prying open of the door and the one exposed side is where I "store" 6, 1# cans of FFFg black powder at various locations inside just incase someone wants to use a torch to get inside.

Couldn't be happier with it!

Also; NEVER set a steal safe on a concrete floor, it will draw moisture and rust the bottom always set it in at least a section of carpet, mine sits on thin wood slats ~ 2X1/4 to allow air to circulate underneath.
I love your idea with the black powder. Can you say, SUPRISE!!!!!!!!

Glock 1
10-19-2012, 15:14
I have a Lincoln being installed Monday.

sheriff733
10-19-2012, 17:31
I have a Lincoln being installed Monday.

What model?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Glock 1
10-29-2012, 14:37
Lincoln 25. Here is the thread. Pics are on page 3.
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1447874

RDW
10-29-2012, 14:42

That's the Safe I have.

SFCSMITH(RET)
10-29-2012, 15:00
Biggest one they make.

Bolted in 12 places. Over a half ton.. empty.
It ain't going anywhere in a hurry.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w88/maypo59/IMGP1358.jpg

sheriff733
10-29-2012, 17:07
Biggest one they make.

Bolted in 12 places. Over a half ton.. empty.
It ain't going anywhere in a hurry.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w88/maypo59/IMGP1358.jpg

Nah. One good tug and its right open...

:whistling:

Sent with Probably Cause and Irrisputable Proof.