Secret Service Agent arrested...assaults cop. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Secret Service Agent arrested...assaults cop.

Detectorist
10-12-2012, 20:26
http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/12/justice/florida-secret-service-arrest/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

When I first joined this forum, someone asserted that the main reason LEOs get in trouble is alcohol and wimmin.

Looks like this guy will lose his job due to alcohol stupidity.

Assaulting an Officer is not conductive to a long career.

Dukeboy01
10-12-2012, 20:37
I dunno. I gotta figure dealing with the Obamas for four years would probably drive anyone to drink...

blueiron
10-12-2012, 20:37
He won't be fired.

Indianashooter
10-12-2012, 21:13
Probably be sent to a posting in South America....:rofl:

Vigilant
10-12-2012, 22:37
I remember reading somewhere that back in the Clinton era, Hillary got a bit upset with Bill once, picked up an executive ashtray, and got ready to throw it at him. A Secret Service agent was standing nearby, and sternly reminded Hillary of his duty to protect POTUS, and the possible consequences of anyone attempting to harm him. This did not sit well with Hillary, and she arranged to have the Secret Service agent replaced with a kindly old gent who should have retired years ago. As the story goes, his hearing left a bit to be desired at times. Soon afterward, while the Clintons were attending a Little League baseball game, the Secret Service agent was seen attempting to throw Hillary out of the bleachers. Bill was heard shouting at the Secret Service agent, "You Idiot! He said to throw out the first PITCH!"

Cav
10-12-2012, 22:52
resisting arrest without violence

Intresting charge for a guy who punched an officer in the face, and then punched his chin. I did not see any charge for assault on an officer...

scottydl
10-12-2012, 23:19
What a freakin' idiot. I have no respect for a cop/agent who acts like that. None.

It's not as if you can just wander in and become a USSS agent. It takes some commitment for Pete's sake! Why do people risk all that work over stupid stuff? (rhetorical)

When I first joined this forum, someone asserted that the main reason LEOs get in trouble is alcohol and wimmin.

That's 2 of the 3 B's that get guys in trouble. Booze, Bills (money), and Broads (the friendlier B-word for women). Often a combination of the 3.

Detectorist
10-13-2012, 00:50
I remember reading somewhere that back in the Clinton era, Hillary got a bit upset with Bill once, picked up an executive ashtray, and got ready to throw it at him. A Secret Service agent was standing nearby, and sternly reminded Hillary of his duty to protect POTUS, and the possible consequences of anyone attempting to harm him. This did not sit well with Hillary, and she arranged to have the Secret Service agent replaced with a kindly old gent who should have retired years ago. As the story goes, his hearing left a bit to be desired at times. Soon afterward, while the Clintons were attending a Little League baseball game, the Secret Service agent was seen attempting to throw Hillary out of the bleachers. Bill was heard shouting at the Secret Service agent, "You Idiot! He said to throw out the first PITCH!"

:rofl::rofl:

merlynusn
10-13-2012, 07:54
And yet trolls come in here saying that we will throw up a blue wall and protect other cops who commit crimes against everything else. grr...

But yeah, he deserves his punishment for this stupid act. What an idiot to throw away what he's obviously worked hard to get over alcohol.

x_out86
10-13-2012, 08:06
Too much :drink:

Pretty soon :crying:

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes...

4949shooter
10-13-2012, 08:51
I hear Burger King is hiring.

kpuscg04
10-13-2012, 09:03
He won't be fired.

He will either be fired or allowed to resign. The Secret Service has no tolerance for bad press.

jpa
10-13-2012, 09:05
Wasn't the first, won't be the last....

blueiron
10-13-2012, 11:46
He will either be fired or allowed to resign. The Secret Service has no tolerance for bad press.

Were you ever a Fed?

I was. I stand by my statement.

kpuscg04
10-13-2012, 12:34
Were you ever a Fed?

You was... I is.

I guess we'll find out soon enough.

2-8 Marine
10-13-2012, 12:47
Were you ever a Fed?

I agree . . . drug & alcohol program in his future.

blueiron
10-13-2012, 13:32
I agree . . . drug & alcohol program in his future.

Precisely.

Unless he has a personnel jacket full of disciplinary actions, and that can be a HUGE amount before he ever approaches the termination standard, he will not be fired.

kpuscg04
10-13-2012, 14:55
Any other agency and I might agree with you. He MAY have a chance if the first words that came out of his mouth to his supervisor were "I have a problem".

I don't think so though. The Secret Service does not like being in the news. This guys career is over. I bet he's asked/forced to resign. That is unless he wants to be doing wire fraud investigations from the American Samoa office for the rest of his career.

TXCOPPER
10-13-2012, 14:59
Intresting charge for a guy who punched an officer in the face, and then punched his chin. I did not see any charge for assault on an officer...

You beat me to it 😏

Sent from my angry birds provider (aka my phone)

Morris
10-13-2012, 16:29
Lordy . . . where's the facepalm icon?

Gallium
10-13-2012, 16:34
I don't drink, but it's a reminder (to me) just how liberating booze can be on the personality (or more succinctly, how much being inebriated can change your view of the world).

Hack
10-13-2012, 19:10
Were you ever a Fed?

I concur. Suspension, possible. Reposting elsewhere, possible. Swept under to a position not dealing with anything important for a bit, possible.

Now, in my agency, sometimes it gets a little weird. However, there is a saying, "F* up, you move up; if you are already high up enough."

Glockdude1
10-13-2012, 19:27
Now, in my agency, sometimes it gets a little weird. However, there is a saying, "F* up, you move up; if you are already high up enough."

:agree:

Long story short. A few years back, we had a C.O. that took a door key home. Not long after, same C.O. all of a sudden became a D.T.S.

:dunno:

Hack
10-13-2012, 19:35
:agree:

Long story short. A few years back, we had a C.O. that took a door key home. Not long after, same C.O. all of a sudden became a D.T.S.

:dunno:

For a door key? Wowzers!:wow:

Reyn
10-13-2012, 20:44
You was... I is.

I guess we'll find out soon enough.

:rofl:

JuneyBooney
10-13-2012, 22:36
http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/12/justice/florida-secret-service-arrest/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

Looks like this guy will lose his job due to alcohol stupidity.

Assaulting an Officer is not conductive to a long career.

You are wrong!:whistling: He will be promoted..:rofl:

lawman800
10-14-2012, 01:05
What's the equivalent to a Lieutenant in the federal service? GS-15?

Hack
10-14-2012, 04:41
What's the equivalent to a Lieutenant in the federal service? GS-15?

With us it is GL-9 and GS 11 for LT. Every agency has their differences, depending on job series, so forth and so on.

kpuscg04
10-14-2012, 08:11
First line supervisors in the Secret Service are GS14, so that would probably be the best equivalent to LT.

A6Gator
10-14-2012, 08:43

Assault on LE in FL is felony 3. Resisting w/out violence, is a misdemeanor.

lawman800
10-14-2012, 09:21
First line supervisors in the Secret Service are GS14, so that would probably be the best equivalent to LT.

Wouldn't that be like a sergeant as the first competitive rank in the GS rank?

kpuscg04
10-14-2012, 13:38
Wouldn't that be like a sergeant as the first competitive rank in the GS rank?

Sorry, LT makes me think military.

jpa
10-14-2012, 16:25

Sounds like the arresting officer already gave him a hell of a break. This way he might get a whole lotta time on the beach but may still have a career to salvage at the end. A felony conviction and he's done.

txleapd
10-14-2012, 16:36

Here it's a 2nd degree felony.... And for anyone who has ever laid hands on me, the charge was 2nd to the tune up they got from me defending myself.

I don't care who you are. You don't put your hands on me without repercussions. Whether you're the city manager's nephew, a crack head transient, or an off duty fed... You get the same physical and legal treatment.

scottydl
10-14-2012, 17:11
I don't care who you are. You don't put your hands on me without repercussions. Whether you're the city manager's nephew, a crack head transient, or an off duty fed... You get the same physical and legal treatment.

I agree, although we only have about a 50% probability of the charge sticking through the State's Attorney's review. Many of my past "Agg Battery to a PO" felony arrests have been knocked down to a misdemeanor Resisting charge within a few days upon screening, or pled down later in the course of the prosecution process. I can see it from both angles (mine and the SAO's), but obviously have mixed emotions.

Deriffe
10-14-2012, 19:49
Were you ever a Fed?

I am. He will be out of the Secret Service but there is a process. a couple years ago, he may have had a very slim chance but not now. Not post "drunk with hookers" publicity.

Clutch Cargo
10-14-2012, 20:14
He'll be assigned to track funny money coming from the Middle East.

blueiron
10-14-2012, 20:20
I am. He will be out of the Secret Service but there is a process. a couple years ago, he may have had a very slim chance but not now. Not post "drunk with hookers" publicity.

No hookers involved here. Assuming he has no outrageous previous history, he won't go any where other than to an EAP and some counseling.

If he is smart, he'll go in and plead to the misdemeanor disorderly and the other charges will go away since he is LE and has zero prior history whatsoever. He goes before HQ with nothing more than a misdemeanor conviction, he gets his punishment, and that ends it.

lawman800
10-15-2012, 01:22

So you're saying he might have a fighting chance if it was "drunk with no hookers" or "sober with hookers"?:whistling:

Hack
10-15-2012, 01:58
No hookers involved here. Assuming he has no outrageous previous history, he won't go any where other than to an EAP and some counseling.

If he is smart, he'll go in and plead to the misdemeanor disorderly and the other charges will go away since he is LE and has zero prior history whatsoever. He goes before HQ with nothing more than a misdemeanor conviction, he gets his punishment, and that ends it.

I remember a couple of wardens ago that we had this one fellow who got into some trouble, concerning alcohol. He kept his job. He also did some time for the misdemeanor that it was pleaded down to. He also, reported to the jail for about a month post pleading, to stay there until he had to go back to work the next day. Basically he was on work release, and went to jail after work was over for the day.

Figure that one out. Not every warden would have allowed that kind of thing. In fact this fellow is lucky he was not cast out to return no more. But, because of what the prior warden has done with him in giving him a break, he also created a practice that is considered a possibility to do again with this man, should he err concerning alcohol again.

merlynusn
10-15-2012, 06:28
Here, assault on a LEO is a misdemeanor. If the LEO is injured, it then becomes a felony (and that just went into effect on 12/01/11).

Bruce M
10-15-2012, 06:53
At least sometimes the Dade State Attorneys Office contends that battery on a law enforcement officer is a specific intent crime and that being inebriated is an acceptable defense against the specific intent.

Sharkey
10-15-2012, 08:03
The guy has a disease and you'll are making light of it. He should be forced to go to AA and then will forever live with the shame of his disease and feel mighty embarrassed when he backslides.

The poor chap has been through enough.

scottydl
10-15-2012, 08:12
The guy has a disease and you'll are making light of it.

Last I heard, you can't cure stupid. :whistling:

Sorry, anyone who gets blasted drunk and acts like that (especially toward police when he IS the police???? kinda) deserves whatever punishment he gets. It's called "being responsible" and some cops need to do a better job of that. The job title obviously doesn't leave you just because you're off duty.

lawman800
10-15-2012, 08:34
Last I heard, you can't cure stupid. :whistling:

Sorry, anyone who gets blasted drunk and acts like that (especially toward police when he IS the police???? kinda) deserves whatever punishment he gets. It's called "being responsible" and some cops need to do a better job of that. The job title obviously doesn't leave you just because you're off duty.

The job title don't leave you cuz you off duty, and especially because you're drunk... but it might leave you involuntarily if you chose to act out while drunk, that's for sure.

A6Gator
10-15-2012, 08:58
Here it's a 2nd degree felony.... And for anyone who has ever laid hands on me, the charge was 2nd to the tune up they got from me defending myself.

"We'll turn him over, just as soon as the swelling goes down...":supergrin:

lawman800
10-15-2012, 09:00
If you go hands on with me, it's mandatory jail time, simple as that.

Gallium
10-15-2012, 09:48
If you go hands on with me, it's mandatory jail time, simple as that.

That's an awesome pickup line. :supergrin:

Can I keep it?

Mayhem like Me
10-15-2012, 10:50
I predict termination and charges.

He really should be convicted and fired.

lawman800
10-15-2012, 12:19
That's an awesome pickup line. :supergrin:

Can I keep it?

It's all yours!

Deriffe
10-16-2012, 10:33
So you're saying he might have a fighting chance if it was "drunk with no hookers" or "sober with hookers"?:whistling:

:whistling: I was referencing the recent dust up in South America where the members of the Secret Service got wasted and brought hookers back to their hotel. The resulting black eye the agency received from that media coverage ensures anyone who even LOOKS like they are not as pure as the wind driven snow, will be tossed out BEFORE the congressional hearings start.

Sorry, made an assumption that the connection would be obvious. I'll ensure I don't make that mistake in the future.

lawman800
10-16-2012, 10:47
:whistling: I was referencing the recent dust up in South America where the members of the Secret Service got wasted and brought hookers back to their hotel. The resulting black eye the agency received from that media coverage ensures anyone who even LOOKS like they are not as pure as the wind driven snow, will be tossed out BEFORE the congressional hearings start.

Sorry, made an assumption that the connection would be obvious. I'll ensure I don't make that mistake in the future.

It was. That's one of the few times the USSS made the news.

I was playing the technical defense and holding to the word "AND" in your statement which denotes that both conditions (booze + hookers) have to be met in order for the conclusion (termination) to be reached.

Just trying to be facetious, won't do it again.

scottydl
10-16-2012, 11:51
I'll ensure I don't make that mistake in the future.

Just trying to be facetious, won't do it again.

I think it would be good if nobody ever does anything ever again.

series1811
10-16-2012, 12:18
Any other agency and I might agree with you. He MAY have a chance if the first words that came out of his mouth to his supervisor were "I have a problem".

I don't think so though. The Secret Service does not like being in the news. This guys career is over. I bet he's asked/forced to resign. That is unless he wants to be doing wire fraud investigations from the American Samoa office for the rest of his career.

My next door neighbor, who was an 1811 on the PPD, would disagree with you. He had some unbelievable stories, mostly involving alcohol, of agents screwing up. If anything, the USSS seems to be a little harder to get fired from than a lot of other agencies.

And, all federal employees have pretty strong civil service rights, even the excepted service ones. And, he can't be given much of a disciplinary transfer as he is in the Uniformed Branch. They pretty much only work in where a protectee lives.

But, it is a game of Russian Roulette :supergrin:

lawman800
10-16-2012, 18:29
I think it would be good if nobody ever does anything ever again.

That's what big government wants. If we give in, we lose already.

kpuscg04
10-16-2012, 19:52
My next door neighbor, who was an 1811 on the PPD, would disagree with you. He had some unbelievable stories, mostly involving alcohol, of agents screwing up. If anything, the USSS seems to be a little harder to get fired from than a lot of other agencies.

And, all federal employees have pretty strong civil service rights, even the excepted service ones. And, he can't be given much of a disciplinary transfer as he is in the Uniformed Branch. They pretty much only work in where a protectee lives.

But, it is a game of Russian Roulette :supergrin:

If he still has his job once this is all over, I'm reevaluating my work ethic...

Morris
10-16-2012, 20:04
His boss is apparently on the hot seat:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/10/16/secret-service-director-eyed-probe-over-colombia-scandal/

Grumpy0358
10-20-2012, 14:26
The THREE "B's" of Law Enforcement.
1-BOOZE
2-BROADS
3-BEATINGS

All or one can and will get your badge.

4949shooter
10-20-2012, 16:47
Or the three "W's:"

1. Women

2. Weapons

3. Whisky

lawman800
10-20-2012, 21:49
The THREE "B's" of Law Enforcement.
1-BOOZE
2-BROADS
3-BEATINGS

All or one can and will get your badge.

Or the three "W's:"

1. Women

2. Weapons

3. Whisky

I don't even bother with the alliteration.

It's:

1. Money (not handling your finances and overspending which leads to tons of other problems, culminating in compromising your judgment on the job)

2. Women (no need to expand on this one, either on or off duty, they can and will get you in trouble)

3. Alcohol (just know your limits)

Arrange them however you like to make it stick, MAW, WAM, AMW, AWM, MWA, WMA, whatever.

It is what it is.

Hack
10-20-2012, 23:08
Money is not a real big issue, if a person does things in accordance to law where I am at. Bankruptcy is recognized as a means for a person to satisfy just debts in a federal court of law, so it is considered OK for most people here.

Women or men can get a person into trouble easily. Unfortunately there are those who get into trouble here, occasionally.

Alcohol, or illegal use of drugs. That gets some people into trouble here, but usually if it is in combination with something else. Especially if one comes up as being compromised with inmates.

lawman800
10-20-2012, 23:46
Bankruptcy can be explained away depending on circs. If you run up a ton of credit cards and declare BK and walk away, that's one thing, but if you just had medical bills piling up and lost your job but you are trying and can't do it and you declare BK but are trying to make right and get back on your feet, that's another.

Hack
10-21-2012, 02:49
Bankruptcy can be explained away depending on circs. If you run up a ton of credit cards and declare BK and walk away, that's one thing, but if you just had medical bills piling up and lost your job but you are trying and can't do it and you declare BK but are trying to make right and get back on your feet, that's another.

Well, that is the thing in federal government employment, even in sensitive positions. Either is actually considered acceptable, as long as the debt is being satisfied in bankruptcy court. Consider of course these are federal employees, not state level, or county and municipal where the standards may be a bit different. In part I am speculating, in that this may be this way in many federal government agencies where law enforcement is working.

But, yeah, there are those who had not handled money well concerning credit cards and were able to walk away with a chapter 7 and start over. Consider though that part of the bankruptcy process is that they must receive verified and approved education concerning handling finances, before a bankruptcy discharge is approved. However, take heart if they do a chapter 7 they are not able to do another one for a good long while, and the US bankers are well aware of this.

I have known others who have gone for debt reconstruction in order to pay off as much debt as possible. I actually have more respect for that, in that they are trying to not only get a handle on satisfying just debts in that manner, still receive a financial education in doing so, and still start over. The problem is that there are banks who will not touch one who has been through the chapter 13 process, because they know that after two years, even while in the midst of the bankruptcy discharge under 13 they can apply for another fresh bankruptcy. However, I understand that after a person has been away from the chapter 13 process for a little while, banks will allow for rebuilding of credit by issuing smaller loans and monitoring repayment of those along with their regular debts, (regular meaning utility bills and such like.)