Marine carries boy bone cancer survivor across finish line at Triathlon [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Marine carries boy bone cancer survivor across finish line at Triathlon

MB-G26
10-12-2012, 20:55
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/marine-helps-cancer-survivor-11-finish-race-article-1.1181821

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1181820.1350056023!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_635/marine13n-1-web.jpg

Marine carries boy, bone cancer survivor, across finish line at Florida triathlon

excerpt:
Ben Baltz, 11, a bone cancer survivor, was running in a Florida childrenís triathlon when he noticed something was wrong with his prosthetic leg. Unable to fix it, he was helped across the finish line by a Marine who wanted to make sure the boy finished the race. ... ...

BY VICTORIA CAVALIERE / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 12, 2012, 11:30 AM

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/marine-helps-cancer-survivor-11-finish-race-article-1.1181821#ixzz298yshxWn

guanoman
10-12-2012, 23:10
And instead of plastering this all over the news channels, we get how Romney wants to kill Big Bird.

This Marine epitomizes what a Marine should be.

TK-421
10-13-2012, 00:25
And instead of plastering this all over the news channels, we get how Romney wants to kill Big Bird.

This Marine epitomizes what a human should be.

It's so bizarre how during the time of my grandparents it was perfectly natural to pick up strange people hitchhiking down the road and drop them off a few miles further on, so they don't have to walk so far. But nowadays, it seems like the majority of people would rather get pissed off and curse at people who need help, because that person is getting in their way and slowing them down, instead of being polite and helping the person out.

IndyGunFreak
10-13-2012, 04:05
This Marine epitomizes what a Marine should be.

Couldn't agree more!

It's so bizarre how during the time of my grandparents it was perfectly natural to pick up strange people hitchhiking down the road and drop them off a few miles further on, so they don't have to walk so far. But nowadays, it seems like the majority of people would rather get pissed off and curse at people who need help, because that person is getting in their way and slowing them down, instead of being polite and helping the person out.

Unfortunately, times have changed.

Back in your grandfathers time, people would thank you for the lift with a handshake. Now, you'd be lucky if they didn't rob you or slit your throat. As people have become more evil, people that would normally be perfectly willing to help someone, don't just because of the risk factor

Think about it, if your elderly mother said she was driving home and some poor girl was walking down the street in the rain/cold, so she stopped and gave her a ride home. How would you react? I know how I would, and it wouldn't be pretty.

It's sad, but it is what it is.

faawrenchbndr
10-13-2012, 04:11

He'll of a different world these days. Ever read a newspaper?
Watch the national news?

Beretta92guy
10-13-2012, 04:12
that right there is one class-act :)

Gun Shark
10-13-2012, 05:13
Couldn't agree more!

Unfortunately, times have changed.

Back in your grandfathers time, people would thank you for the lift with a handshake. Now, you'd be lucky if they didn't rob you or slit your throat. As people have become more evil, people that would normally be perfectly willing to help someone, don't just because of the risk factor

Think about it, if your elderly mother said she was driving home and some poor girl was walking down the street in the rain/cold, so she stopped and gave her a ride home. How would you react? I know how I would, and it wouldn't be pretty.

It's sad, but it is what it is.

I think about this a lot. How I love technology and all of that stuff, but I would much rather have lived in the time where you could do that, where people treated people with respect. Even with a CCW, I have reservations about picking someone up. I am of the general nature to help people in need if I can. I would gladly drive someone home, if they wanted. Especially in the Florida heat. It truly is sad the world we live in.

Regards to the OP,

That was a very heart warming and feel good story.

deputy tom
10-13-2012, 05:14
that right there is one class-act :)

^^DITTO! tom.:thumbsup::patriot:

certifiedfunds
10-13-2012, 07:53
I have a close friend who's son has a congenital musculo-skeletal disorder. This fall he will (hopefully) complete Ironman Florida and plans to disqualify himself at the finish when he picks up his son just before the finish line and carry him across.

EdTracker
10-13-2012, 08:02
The original article that I read mentions something that I thought equally powerful.

http://www.whptv.com/news/local/story/Triathlon-triumph-Marine-carries-boy-across/oEnIzR16j02nZ5idrC-HUQ.cspx

ď... Ben said he and Morgan didnít really speak after their first exchange, but more Marines gathered around and sang a cadence. ..."

The other Marines rallied around Morgan to provide support.

Hour13
10-13-2012, 08:16
God bless our Marines.

I really needed that today, thank you OP. Funny how something like that can make you feel a little bit better about the world.

IndyGunFreak
10-13-2012, 08:19
I think about this a lot. How I love technology and all of that stuff, but I would much rather have lived in the time where you could do that, where people treated people with respect. Even with a CCW, I have reservations about picking someone up. I am of the general nature to help people in need if I can. I would gladly drive someone home, if they wanted. Especially in the Florida heat. It truly is sad the world we live in.

Regards to the OP,

That was a very heart warming and feel good story.

Yup, I totally agree w/ everything you said. It's unfortunate, but it is the way things are.

nursetim
10-13-2012, 11:01
Allergies making the words blurry. Up to standard for Marines.