Had to put my oldest dog to sleep today [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Had to put my oldest dog to sleep today

GlocknSpiehl
10-12-2012, 21:42
:crying:

We've known this was coming for a while as he was about 16 years old, and cockers are very old at 12. He had been doing fine, though slower, but still had his appetite and zest for life. About 10 days ago we noticed he was breathing a little heavy and I took him to the vet. One xray later and I had the bad news: liver and stomach tumors. He still was doing ok, eating a little less, but otherwise ok.

My wife was out of town on business Wednesday. I came home and knew he was worse. I think he had a stroke because he could not walk very far and was mentally confused. I called my wife to let her know that it was time. I then held him and cried.

Today, after my wife got back, we called our vet who agreed to come over at 2PM. We spent the day holding, cuddling, giving him little treats and generally loving Charlie until the vet arrived. He really took his time to make us and the dog comfortable before he eased Charlie's pain.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I cried like a baby. :crying:

I wrote this tribute to him:

+++

At 2PM today we had to put our beloved Charlie Brown to sleep, here at our house. He was about 16 years old, and was doing very poorly. My wife and I spent the day with him holding him, giving him some treats he loved and just trying to ensure he felt our love.

We saved Charlie when he was 5 or 6 years old from the shelter in 2001 a day before he would have been put to sleep there, and he repaid us with nothing but unconditional love and adoration for the rest of his life. He was sweet, kind, never mean and you could take food out of his mouth without fear. In short, the kind of dog you dream of owning.

I knew the time was here on Wednesday night and waited until my wife could be home to say goodbye too. My heart is broken and I cried as we held him while the vet finally eased his pain for the last time.

He loved me, with all my faults and through all the years, with all his heart. He never waivered in his love, right to the end.

I wish I could be as good a man as he was a good dog and friend.

Batesmotel
10-12-2012, 22:07
That hurts. Wish words would help.

UtahIrishman
10-12-2012, 22:11
My deepest sympathies at your loss. I wish words could express.

VA27
10-12-2012, 22:12
I wish I had the words to comfort you.

wirenut
10-12-2012, 22:15
I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

frank4570
10-12-2012, 22:16
I then held him and cried.

I understand, so very much. I guess you and I see things pretty much the same way.
I'm really sorry. I wish I could say something more comforting than 'I understand'.
I have cried over the grave of more animals than I would like.

LASTRESORT20
10-12-2012, 22:23
I am so sorry for your Loss.....It hurts I know.....I had to do the same with my SugerBear years ago....I remember and I have pictures....

Charlie is in peace now.....But his spirit and memories will always remain....stay strong....and when its time you will find a "very" young "Charlie" in the shelter again...waiting.......

Deepest sympathies to you and Family......

Foxterriermom
10-12-2012, 22:23
I am sorry about your loss.

ithaca_deerslayer
10-12-2012, 22:26
You gave your dog a good life, and you got plenty in return.

Death takes us all in the end. All we can do is cherish life the short time we are here. Dogs make it an even better time :)

plainsman
10-12-2012, 22:27
I good pet is a wonderful companion, Ive lost afew myself, and I know what you are feeling.

Altaris
10-12-2012, 22:28
I'm not ashamed to admit that I cried like a baby. :crying:

And you should not be ashamed either. I dread the day I have to do this with my dog, and I know I will cry like a baby as well.

janice6
10-12-2012, 22:34
It always hurts to lose a good friend and companion. You can cry, it only shows your love and devotion to a valuable companion.

Crying is for you and your dog, no one else's business.

I have done this a few times and it never gets easier, it should never be easy.

RIP

rilkil23
10-12-2012, 22:44
So sorry for your loss. I've put two dogs down since February and still tear up when me and the kids talk about our time together. Take care.

Scott3670
10-12-2012, 23:00
I'm a cat person and had to rush my cat to the ER earlier this year. She died in my arms at the door and it crushed my heart. I felt no shame crying as the nburse took away my beloved cat. I know the pain you're feeling now, and trust me it will get better but not quick enough. My deepest sympathies for the loss of your companion.

Goldendog Redux
10-12-2012, 23:04
Sorry my friend.

LASTRESORT20
10-13-2012, 00:06
Puppy, Kitten Think They Are 'Sisters': Buttons The Jack Russell, Kitty The Cat Bond At Rescue Center

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/10/puppy-kitten-think-they-are-sisters-buttons-kitty-battersea-rescue_n_1956048.html?utm_campaign=101112&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Alert-good-news&utm_content=F

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/810548/original.jpg

NEOH212
10-13-2012, 02:33
Til then - YouTube

http://www.petloss.com/

RayB
10-13-2012, 02:46
And all good things...

I grieve with you today, and can do nothing for your pain, except to say, that I do understand it.

Some would say that the price is too great; but I maintain that a life without such love, is the greater price to pay.

God bless.

--Ray

Kingfish1
10-13-2012, 03:39
It always hurts to lose a good friend and companion. You can cry, it only shows your love and devotion to a valuable companion.

Crying is for you and your dog, no one else's business.

I have done this a few times and it never gets easier, it should never be easy.

RIP

I am so sorry for your loss.

Restless28
10-13-2012, 04:40
I'm sorry for the loss of your friend.

gwalchmai
10-13-2012, 04:56
My condolences, GlockNSpiehl.

How fortunate you and your wife are to have had such a great friend! :angel:

Deployment Solu
10-13-2012, 05:00
I know your pain. We have had to part with several dogs over the last few years. I NEVER gets easier and I cry like a baby every time. I still miss them all.

NDCent
10-13-2012, 05:07
Sorry for your loss. One of the worse parts of growing older, only offset by the time they fill our lives.

deputy tom
10-13-2012, 05:09
Prayers sent. tom.

IndyGunFreak
10-13-2012, 05:11
That's never easy... Thoughts and prayers to you all.

Arc Angel
10-13-2012, 05:38
....... Today, after my wife got back, we called our vet who agreed to come over at 2PM. We spent the day holding, cuddling, giving him little treats and generally loving Charlie until the vet arrived. He really took his time to make us and the dog comfortable before he eased Charlie's pain.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I cried like a baby.

I'm very sorry to learn of your loss. We're still getting over the loss of our own beloved Dachshund at about this time last year. (Deeter passed on September 20th, 2011.)

This little Dachshund was my shadow for almost 10 years. I rescued him out of a freezing chicken coop at the beginning of December 2001. (That was a very cold winter!) He was filthy dirty, had pneumonia, and seemed perplexed by what was happening to him. Dogs are smarter than most people think; and Deeter realized that I had saved him. Thereafter he clung to me like glue!

Hey, 'real men' can cry! Deeter had severe congestive heart failure; (The same thing that'll, probably, kill me.) and when the vet, 'put him down' I walked out into the parking lot, where I could be alone, and let out a loud scream! It's all just part of the life experience, though; and, like it or not, each of us has to accept the consequences of both being, and non-being. We all live, exclusively, by God's permission; and we, also, pass in exactly the same way.

It may amuse you to know that I have never cried at the funeral of a family member or friend in my entire life. Even when my beloved Grandmother died it took me, something like, two or three years before I finally sat down and cried. I have not, however, failed to cry over the deaths of a good half dozen of the dogs we've owned. So I really do know what you mean; and, even though we've never met, I am genuinely sorry for you!

I wrote this tribute to him: At 2PM today we had to put our beloved Charlie Brown to sleep, here at our house. He was about 16 years old, and was doing very poorly. My wife and I spent the day with him holding him, giving him some treats he loved and just trying to ensure he felt our love.

We saved Charlie when he was 5 or 6 years old from the shelter in 2001 a day before he would have been put to sleep there, and he repaid us with nothing but unconditional love and adoration for the rest of his life. He was sweet, kind, never mean and you could take food out of his mouth without fear. In short, the kind of dog you dream of owning.

I knew the time was here on Wednesday night and waited until my wife could be home to say goodbye too. My heart is broken and I cried as we held him while the vet finally eased his pain for the last time.

He loved me, with all my faults and through all the years, with all his heart. He never waivered in his love, right to the end.

We, both, obtained our recently departed dogs in 2001; and they were both rescued animals. I feel the same way you do, too. It's comforting to be unconditionally loved. All of our dogs have treated me this way; and, I'm pretty sure that my wife does too. ;)

Here's the little guy -

http://imageshack.us/a/img218/594/deeter1photobucketoo9.jpg

I hope we both have a better day! I can tell you, for a fact, that time is a great healer. You don't forget; but you will heal. God bless! :)

eracer
10-13-2012, 05:45
RIP Charlie Brown.

I just donated $10 in his name to:

Florida Cocker Spaniel Rescue. (http://www.floridacocker.org/)

Smoker
10-13-2012, 06:31
sorry to hear, understand how you feel right now..

Zonny
10-13-2012, 06:54
I'm very sorry for your loss. George Graham Vest said it best:

http://www.historyplace.com/speeches/vest.htm

George Graham Vest (1830-1904) served as U.S. Senator from Missouri from 1879 to 1903 and became one of the leading orators and debaters of his time. This delightful speech is from an earlier period in his life when he practiced law in a small Missouri town. It was given in court while representing a man who sued another for the killing of his dog. During the trial, Vest ignored the testimony, and when his turn came to present a summation to the jury, he made the following speech and won the case.

Gentlemen of the Jury: The best friend a man has in the world may turn against him and become his enemy. His son or daughter that he has reared with loving care may prove ungrateful. Those who are nearest and dearest to us, those whom we trust with our happiness and our good name may become traitors to their faith. The money that a man has, he may lose. It flies away from him, perhaps when he needs it most. A man's reputation may be sacrificed in a moment of ill-considered action. The people who are prone to fall on their knees to do us honor when success is with us, may be the first to throw the stone of malice when failure settles its cloud upon our heads.

The one absolutely unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world, the one that never deserts him, the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous is his dog. A man's dog stands by him in prosperity and in poverty, in health and in sickness. He will sleep on the cold ground, where the wintry winds blow and the snow drives fiercely, if only he may be near his master's side. He will kiss the hand that has no food to offer. He will lick the wounds and sores that come in encounters with the roughness of the world. He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a prince. When all other friends desert, he remains. When riches take wings, and reputation falls to pieces, he is as constant in his love as the sun in its journey through the heavens.

If fortune drives the master forth, an outcast in the world, friendless and homeless, the faithful dog asks no higher privilege than that of accompanying him, to guard him against danger, to fight against his enemies. And when the last scene of all comes, and death takes his master in its embrace and his body is laid away in the cold ground, no matter if all other friends pursue their way, there by the graveside will the noble dog be found, his head between his paws, his eyes sad, but open in alert watchfulness, faithful and true even in death.

George Graham Vest - c. 1855

engineer151515
10-13-2012, 07:42
:angel::angel:

Our pets try to teach us what real love and loyalty is. They are a blessing.

Sadly, people as a group, don't seem to catch on.

pal2511
10-13-2012, 07:44
Sorry to hear that

Dogs are like family in our house and I would cry like a baby also :).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Steel Head
10-13-2012, 09:28
I'm sorry for your loss.
The love our dear furry friends give us is amazing and heartbreaking when it's gone:crying:

GlocknSpiehl
10-13-2012, 10:00
Puppy, Kitten Think They Are 'Sisters': Buttons The Jack Russell, Kitty The Cat Bond At Rescue Center

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/10/puppy-kitten-think-they-are-sisters-buttons-kitty-battersea-rescue_n_1956048.html?utm_campaign=101112&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Alert-good-news&utm_content=F

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/810548/original.jpg

Damn, thaty's adorable!

GlocknSpiehl
10-13-2012, 10:03
RIP Charlie Brown.

I just donated $10 in his name to:

Florida Cocker Spaniel Rescue. (http://www.floridacocker.org/)

Damn, that's so nice of you. I think I will do the same. Bless you!

jakebrake
10-13-2012, 10:04
i hurt with you. still get misty when i think about ours. like now.

AKR
10-13-2012, 10:07
I've been in your situation before. Caring decisions don't get much harder than this. I'm sorry to say that it will still hurt many years from now.

Clutch Cargo
10-13-2012, 11:06
I'm sometimes more saddened by the death of a 4 legged buddy than a person. You both will play fetch again, someday.

goldenlight
10-13-2012, 11:14
Sixteen years for your dog was a very good long life, but they never, ever, live as long as we would like them to.

It is a sad fact that we are destined to outlive our furry companions, who do so much to enrich our lives, and ask for so little in return.:crying:

Rescuing a shelter dog is probably the BEST. Your dog sure knew when he had a good home. He paid you back the only way he could.

There are three markers in my back yard, under the lilac bushes, where I have buried my companions, too.

It gets easier, after awhile.

njl
10-13-2012, 11:48
YouTube - Gotye - Bronte - official video

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

wuvmyglock
10-13-2012, 13:21
You gave your friend and companion and wonderful life. You received thanks from a wagging tail. A nudge. A sigh. May you find comfort in knowing your friend is eternally grateful. Sorry for your loss.

VC-Racing
10-13-2012, 15:32
Sorry for your loss....

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

eaglefrq
10-13-2012, 16:14
There are no words that can ease the pain you are feeling, only time will help heal. It sounds like you gave Charlie a good life and he knows that you loved him, even in the end.

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.

You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.

You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

Unknown

It sounds like you were...

waawaaweenie
10-13-2012, 16:22
sorry for your loss

MtBaldy
10-13-2012, 16:54
I'm sorry for your loss. All of mine have been like family. Obie will be turning 8 next month and he's starting to show his age, I'm dreading something happening to him.

railfancwb
10-13-2012, 17:22
Haven't had a dog since I had to put my German Shepherd to sleep many years ago. Have lost many cats to age and illness since then, and it doesn't get easier. Comfort to you.

RenoF250
10-13-2012, 19:30
Sorry for your loss. We had to put out yellow lab down Tuesday before last so I know how you feel. We have also had to put down two cats this year. 2012 has not been good for our pets.

DustyDawg48
10-13-2012, 20:10
So sorry to hear. I lost my 2 buddies this year, too. Both were old but never wavered in their love for us. Zeplin, my big Golden Retreiver and Dusty my raggedy Australian Shepherd. We rescued both and they gave us everything in return.

Peace to you and your family.

JuneyBooney
10-13-2012, 20:20
That really is hard. I have lost many "best friends" in the past couple of years. Not fun at all. Prayers sent.

Jake514
10-14-2012, 13:20
Condolences sent - I am very sorry for your loss. Is sounds like he adored you also.

G21FAN
10-14-2012, 16:21
I understand. I had to put my 2 cockers down a bit more than a year ago. Buffy was 12 and Ginger was 13. It hurts.

I now have a 1 year old pup and she is a challenge as well! Another pup will help a lot when you are ready.

kfive
10-14-2012, 16:25
sorry for your loss......

janice6
10-14-2012, 16:28
And all good things...

I grieve with you today, and can do nothing for your pain, except to say, that I do understand it.

Some would say that the price is too great; but I maintain that a life without such love, is the greater price to pay.

God bless.

--Ray

This is so true.

SouthpawG26
10-14-2012, 16:41
I saw this thread the last few days, but couldn't bring myself to read through it. Not ashamed to admit it.

Little in life hurts like the loss of such simple and unconditional love and trust.

GlocknSpiehl
10-14-2012, 16:59
It's a little better today, but I still have a huge hole in my heart. My wife and I still keep calling his name when calling the other two dogs.

I think we will be ready to adopt a "Charlie Jr." in the not too distant future, but right now we are still too aching.

Thanks to you all for the kind thoughts and words.

bmoore
10-14-2012, 17:03
Sorry for your loss. I had a beagle from the time I was 3 years old to when I was 20, yep he was 17 when we put him down. He woke up and could not use his back legs (stroke). I cried as well, he was our family dog. Your dog had a life with you and your wife better than he could have ever imagined and that is awesome.

r3dot
10-14-2012, 23:39
Very sorry about your loss. My pup was born in 2001 and is showing signs of his age. It's hard when they've been by your side for so long. I dread the day.

TransAm-98
10-15-2012, 00:56
Sorry man. I've been through that a handful of times now. It's the crappy part of owning dogs. I have a 13 year old Shepherd now who is still doing pretty well but I know there will be one morning when I have to "make the call". All you can do is be strong for your dog and then let it all out after it's over.

Lone_Wolfe
10-15-2012, 01:34
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

frizz
10-15-2012, 02:08
:crying: :crying: :crying:

Condolences.

That's all I have.

DanaT
10-15-2012, 02:18
I think we will be ready to adopt a "Charlie Jr." in the not too distant future, but right now we are still too aching.

Sorry for your loss.

When we had to make the decision to end our dogs life (i hate the term.."put to sleep" because sleep implies something different), it was on Xmas day. One of the worst days of my life.

We thought about getting another dog and looked, but then we figured out that we were looking for the same dog in a different body. That is when we stopped wanting another dog. We decided until we were ready to accept a different dog, we were not ready.

I will probably get a dog this summer. Enough time has passed.

I guess my words are dont get a "charlie jr". You will never find that again. Get a new dog when you are no longer looking for charlie because you will only feel disappointment that the new dog isnt charlie.

billybad34209
10-15-2012, 17:57
very sorry for your loss pal. There is another k-9 friend out there somewhere waiting for a lifelong home. Go out there and find him.:crying:

GlocknSpiehl
10-15-2012, 18:04
Sorry for your loss.

I guess my words are dont get a "charlie jr". You will never find that again. Get a new dog when you are no longer looking for charlie because you will only feel disappointment that the new dog isnt charlie.

I agree; we don't expect to find another "Charlie" and that is why we want to wait a while. It's my wife's turn to have a puppy, so we need to wait to find the right little guy at the right time.

TNGlockman
10-15-2012, 18:06
So sorry for your loss. I know exactly how you feel. I held my little Yorkie while the vet put her to sleep back in the spring and I cried like a baby too. It hurt so bad that I don't know if I'll ever get another pet again...

JackMac
10-15-2012, 18:40
I am profoundly sorry for your loss of your buddy. There has to be a lot of good dogs in heaven. I have lost several in my lifetime and it hurts real bad.

TheExplorer
10-15-2012, 18:48
Best thing to do is go right out and get a rescue. You'd be amazed how much better you'll feel. He/she won't be the same, but different personalities are what make dogs great. I just adopted another rescue. Please use the link in my sig for available pets.

So sorry for your loss.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRGXDGTCwFim1qLxoDEf0RwvL62n7iDY9IwGCw544ehjz6zQUcVVQfjWQ

sombunya
10-15-2012, 20:55
Putting down an old friend.

One of the saddest, most difficult things a person must do.

Heartfelt condolences go out to you.

GlocknSpiehl
10-16-2012, 18:49
Actually four of my five dogs have been rescues. Everyone has been great!

Bomber Nav
10-16-2012, 19:18
GlocknSpiehl,
So very sorry to hear about your loss. Our Scottish Terrier, Trudy, has been diagnosed with terminal liver cancer. To operate they would have to open her up basically from neck to tail, and with no assurances they could get it all. We've decided to keep her home, spoil her, walk her, cuddle her and make life as sweet as possible until the end. It's going to be so hard....I understand completely your thoughts and emotions. It's amazing how much we love our dogs...

TheExplorer
10-18-2012, 06:48
Actually four of my five dogs have been rescues. Everyone has been great!

That's terrific! Thank you.

TheExplorer
10-18-2012, 06:50
GlocknSpiehl,
So very sorry to hear about your loss. Our Scottish Terrier, Trudy, has been diagnosed with terminal liver cancer. To operate they would have to open her up basically from neck to tail, and with no assurances they could get it all. We've decided to keep her home, spoil her, walk her, cuddle her and make life as sweet as possible until the end. It's going to be so hard....I understand completely your thoughts and emotions. It's amazing how much we love our dogs...

Such a tough decision. I would probably do the same thing. I know people who went through it and it almost seems like torture for the dog because they don't know why they are getting poked and prodded. You have my deepest sympathies.

MrsKitty
10-18-2012, 16:32
That's a pain I know well. Yet I still keep setting myself for it time and time again. It hurts so bad but it's worth it. :hugs:

ThatGuyDave
10-18-2012, 16:36
Been 8 years since I put my pup down... still miss him to this day. Condolences my friend.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

GlocknSpiehl
10-18-2012, 17:08
GlocknSpiehl,

That's what we did with Charlie. Unfortunately he did not have very long, but we were blessed for every day we had with him.