I LOATHE my HOA!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I LOATHE my HOA!!

Pages : [1] 2

J.Kill
10-13-2012, 12:51
I am renting a townhouse that has a HOA... I know... Stupid me! Anyway, when we moved in we registered our plates for parking. I used to take home a work car when I was on call(would leave my POV at work) but stopped due to little yellow pieces of paper under the windshield that said the vehicle would be towed since it didn't have the 1"x1" parking sticker.

Two weeks ago the wife and I bought a new car and I transferred the tags... The same tags that are registered... This morning I go outside and my brand new car is gone. After I called the PD to report it stolen they said they were notified it was towed. I contacted a rep with the HOA and he told me it was towed because it didn't have that little parking sticker and even though the plate was registered it didn't matter since it didn't have the sticker. I asked what ever happened to leaving the "warnings" on the car so I could have gotten a new sticker since I JUST bought it...and my old car was here 3 months before they finally sent the stickers without a problem. He told me they don't leave the yellow papers anymore since people don't listen to them anyway so now they just tow cars without warning. $175 later I have my car back... I know I'll lose but it's going to be an all out *****fest on Monday when we call the main office.

I can't wait until April and I can move the hell out of here!!

Ragnar
10-13-2012, 13:12
I'd be getting my $175 back outta someone's ass.

okie
10-13-2012, 13:14
Good luck to you my friend:angel:

ron59
10-13-2012, 13:28
yeah, that's a load of crap.

I lived in a few places with HOAs, but they weren't super Nazi'ish about things. But I've heard some real horror stories, yours is way up there. Bummer.

stolenphot0
10-13-2012, 13:37
move!

j/k but that sucks and is pretty low they would do that.

Glockdude1
10-13-2012, 13:39
I'd be getting my $175 back outta someone's ass.

:agree:

What good is a HOA?????

I have never heard anything good about them.

:dunno:

Gregg702
10-13-2012, 13:47

What good is a HOA?????

I live in a large gated community called Rhodes Ranch. Our HOA makes sure people take care of their front yards, don't leave their trash out, they provide security, take care of and manage all the recreation grounds, including community pools, water park, gym, rec center, and the golf course and golf club. It is worth the $175/month I pay. It helps that it is run by people who care about the community, not just people in it for the power trip.

TK-421
10-13-2012, 14:00
After living in regular suburbs for all my life, I don't think I could ever live in a place with an HOA, too many horror stories, too many stupid rules. I live in the USA because I want to have the freedom to do what I want. If I wanted someone constantly telling me I have to keep my lawn looking good, and to keep the front of my house clean, and all that, I'd live in a different country. I've even heard of stories where HOAs have banned kids from playing outside, in the front or the backyards, because they don't think it provides a proper image for the community.

Geeorge
10-13-2012, 14:11
It's pretty easy to stay within the rules in mine,in 5 years have only been fussed at once and it was minor.

They aren't parking nazi's unless a car does't have a valid plate on it.

And then I can back it up against the garage so they can't see the plate

Cmacc
10-13-2012, 14:17
I'd be getting $175 worth of feel good out of someone over the next few months. Be creative, take your time and always smile and wave.

RonS
10-13-2012, 14:24
You can't fight city hall. I would make sure that I dedicated the rest of my life to making someone's life a living hell on earth however.

Beretta92guy
10-13-2012, 14:26
After living in regular suburbs for all my life, I don't think I could ever live in a place with an HOA, too many horror stories, too many stupid rules. I live in the USA because I want to have the freedom to do what I want. If I wanted someone constantly telling me I have to keep my lawn looking good, and to keep the front of my house clean, and all that, I'd live in a different country. I've even heard of stories where HOAs have banned kids from playing outside, in the front or the backyards, because they don't think it provides a proper image for the community.

ABSO-FREAKING-LUTELY correct........

why in the hell would you want to live in some communist dictatorship of a HOA????

i live on a street that is not HOA, but once you go past the four-way stop about a half-block up my street there is a HOA neighborhood, and my house is not included.......

about a year ago i get a knock on my door and its two people doing neighborhood HOA watches..i guess they were new to the HOA and did not know the boundary ended at the stop sign.......they proceeded to tell me that my grass was too tall and i could not park my car on the street after 7 pm....

i told them to go choke on an ethiopian goats nut bag and get the hell off of my NON HOA property......and was not the least bit polite when i said those exact words, either......

oh yeah, i forgot, my town had a nationally published news story about a couple suing their HOA because they had a child who had a disability and they built her a playhouse in the BACK YARD....the HOA sued them to get it removed.......the courts backed the HOA.....and the couple sold the house and told the HOA to shove it where the sun don't shine......

NeverMore1701
10-13-2012, 14:31
Crap like this is one of the reasons I waited to buy a house until I could find a nice new subdivision without an HOA.

VC-Racing
10-13-2012, 15:24
I say " lawyer up" and let them handle it. A nicely worded letter or phone call could resolve this issue . Sometimes

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Gallium
10-13-2012, 16:05
Sounds like your car is parked in a communal space/area.

I don't want my new (or old crappy) car out in the wild with those idiot door dingers, if I can help it

MtBaldy
10-13-2012, 16:51

What good is a HOA?????

It's a fact properties in developments with HOA are worth more than developments without. The houses are usually better kept, there are no chartreuse or Pepto-Bismol pink houses, the yards are neat. Yeah, they can be a PITA but most exist simply to keep property values up and ensure people in the development can enjoy their properties to the fullest without worrying about how the state of their neighbors property affects the value of theirs. Full disclosure: I was head of a small HOA for a couple of years. Not because I wanted to but because no one else wanted to do it and if we didn't have one the state of Florida was going to hire someone to manage the HOA at our expense.

wellcraft
10-13-2012, 17:04
It's a fact properties in developments with HOA are worth more than developments without. The houses are usually better kept, there are no chartreuse or Pepto-Bismol pink houses, the yards are neat. Yeah, they can be a PITA but most exist simply to keep property values up and ensure people in the development can enjoy their properties to the fullest without worrying about how the state of their neighbors property affects the value of theirs. Full disclosure: I was head of a small HOA for a couple of years. Not because I wanted to but because no one else wanted to do it and if we didn't have one the state of Florida was going to hire someone to manage the HOA at our expense.

Can you provide some proof that HOA increase property value???

Gallium
10-13-2012, 17:36

He didn't say that :faint::faint::faint:.

At best, he said "maintain property values".

MtBaldy
10-13-2012, 18:29

Not proof but an elaboration of what I was talking about:

http://www.vf-law.com/articles/community-values/hoas-bolster-property-values

I got it mainly from real estate agents and looking at HOA vs non-HOA developments. HOA properties usually looked nicer.

I will say when we moved from that development both of us agreed one criteria was no HOA.

MtBaldy
10-13-2012, 18:30
He didn't say that :faint::faint::faint:.

At best, he said "maintain property values".

True. I'm not talking new sales, I'm talking resale homes that are at least several years old.

Bring_it!
10-13-2012, 18:38
HOA, not for me!
Just repainted our house and didn't have to ask anyone for permission.

wrenrj1
10-13-2012, 18:44
Get involved with your HOA and provide some balance to their decision making. I'd guess that your fellow members may have had the same experience. In my HOA, they can't do anything until they notify the home owner when someone from the board verifies the situation exists. They try to take care of it internally. Usually it's about RV's being parked in driveways, but it still comes down to someone complaining, and that's rare during camping season..

mixflip
10-13-2012, 18:47
What a coincidence. I just woke up to my new F150 4x4 gone this morning too. The contracted tow company towed it even though I had an HOA issued sticker.

My HOA ran out of stickers that said my complex's name so they issued me a generic pass that just said "visitor".

Well, the towing company was told it was a fake by one of the HOA managers (not the same guy who issued it to me) and this guy approved them to tow it.

Towing fees are $336. Since it was towed on a friday there is an after hours fee of $65 a day. HOA is closed til monday.

After I ripped someone a new A-hole over the phone I miraculously got my truck back free of charge!!! The HOA ate the $336 towing fee believe it or not lol. I guess my verbal judo skills are strong? Normally you have to pay the towing fee and fight the HOA for reimbursement.

HerrGlock
10-13-2012, 18:53
Yeah, one thing I've always looked for when buying a house is NO HOA. Even if they start out helpful they won't stay that way.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
10-13-2012, 19:00
HOAs. More government for people who just can't get enough.

jp3975
10-13-2012, 19:37
How can they justify towing a vehicle like that?

What if your parents or friends are visiting? They can expect to walk outside to a missing car?

If I just bought a new car and they had it towed, Id be pissed. The responsible party would probably be getting a locking gas cap installed on their car.

They might also get their sticker scratched off at night and find their car towed in the morning.

RenoF250
10-13-2012, 19:45
How can they justify towing a vehicle like that?

What if your parents or friends are visiting? They can expect to walk outside to a missing car?

If I just bought a new car and they had it towed, Id be pissed. The responsible party would probably be getting a locking gas cap installed on their car.

They might also get their sticker scratched off at night and find their car towed in the morning.

Chain the axle to a post on the side the passenger side. :whistling:

tantrix
10-13-2012, 19:52
I live in a large gated community called Rhodes Ranch. Our HOA makes sure people take care of their front yards, don't leave their trash out, they provide security, take care of and manage all the recreation grounds, including community pools, water park, gym, rec center, and the golf course and golf club. It is worth the $175/month I pay. It helps that it is run by people who care about the community, not just people in it for the power trip.

Yeah, sorry...you're not convincing anyone. HOA's aren't worth a damn even if you pay $1 a month.

$175/month to be an inmate? :rofl: :rofl:

Keoking
10-13-2012, 19:55
[QUOTE=J.Kill;19514405]I used to take home a work car .... but stopped due to little yellow pieces of paper under the windshield that said the vehicle would be towed since it didn't have the 1"x1" parking sticker .... I asked what ever happened to leaving the "warnings" on the car .... He told me they don't leave the yellow papers anymore since people don't listen to them[QUOTE]

It sounds like the HOA should have towed one of your previous cars to teach a lesson sooner than later. It sounds like you had plenty of warning that parking was a hot button item.

gjk5
10-13-2012, 20:12
I wish it was not dark, I would take a picture right now to show you the difference between HOA and non-HOA.

I live in a small 'hood of nice newer homes on 3-5 acre lots, immediately north of us is an older 'hood with NO HOA. Half nice homes and half absolute crapshacks, the one directly behind me has 4 undtended Great Danes, 3 5th wheels, 3 corvettes in various stages of decay, a bradley GT that is 8-0% rust, several chodey Harleys, 4 "utility trailers" that all look like poop and assorted other white trash accoutrements scattered about the 5 acres.

You may have your opinions about HOA's, but some are good and some are bad, but one thing is a FACT: most people are inconsiderate lazy a-holes if left to thier own devices, and you cannot pick your neighbors. Better to have a set of rules to govern the place.

sappy13
10-13-2012, 20:34
I cant stand HOA's, they are like nazis.

Trapped_in_Kali
10-13-2012, 20:38
The HOA is a big reason I got rid of my condo! We had an LAPD Captain who we had to sue every year for her unpaid dues (she would show up in uniform & pay 1/2 every year).

Ragnar
10-13-2012, 20:42
My neighborhood has an HOA, but I don't. My house was the first one built in the development. No paperwork in my closing docs for an HOA. So when they told me my garden shed wasn't good I told them to pound sand. And they left me alone after that. BWAHAHAHAHA!

.264 magnum
10-13-2012, 20:46

He shouldn't have to provide anything. He's 100% correct.

Calico Jack
10-13-2012, 20:56
He shouldn't have to provide anything. He's 100% correct.

Chris Matthews... is that you?

Sounds like an Obamanite.

tantrix
10-13-2012, 20:57
You may have your opinions about HOA's, but some are good and some are bad, but one thing is a FACT: most people are inconsiderate lazy a-holes if left to thier own devices, and you cannot pick your neighbors. Better to have a set of rules to govern the place.

It's not your business what your neighbor's yard or house looks like. They have a right to be a "lazy a-hole" if they choose.

gjk5
10-13-2012, 21:03
It's not your business what your neighbor's yard or house looks like. They have a right to be a "lazy a-hole" if they choose.

sez someone's lazy a-hole neighbor.

.264 magnum
10-13-2012, 21:05
A. The OP should be pizzed no one deserves to be screwed over like that.

B. So far as home values go:
1. Our last home was in a strong HOA neighborhood. The sister neighborhood, an early split off actually, sported values consistently 8-13% less yay.
2. Regarding our new, actually old, home we pay $210 mo. for HOA dues. That gets us 24x7x365 off duty Dallas PD as security and they drive around in DPD squad cars. Crapped out cars are towed within hours. Unkept lawns are mowed with a bill sent to the homeowner. It's awesome. As I've mentioned several times we live in a neighborhood of older large homes on on large lots. One or two idiot neighbors could really hurt home values - that's simply not a problem with the HOA. Within a dense town I'd never consider owning a home in the $1 million and up range without an HOA. It'd be just too easy for one jackass to cost me $50K or $100K or a delayed sale etc.

Having volunteered on two HOA boards I can tell you without hesitation that most of the HOA horror stories we hear are whole-cloth BS or great exaggerations.

rednoved
10-13-2012, 21:05
That sucks. Do visitors get towed as well? Or do you have to get temporary passes and notify them?

.264 magnum
10-13-2012, 21:07

Totally wrong. When the a-hole is costing me home value it is my business.

TK-421
10-13-2012, 21:15

It is when it affects your house value and your finances that are based on your house value. Lets say two houses go up for sale, you buy one, some lazy guy buys the other. Yard is very rarely mowed, strewn about with debris, exterior of the house looks like ****, and the value on your house drops quite a bit because nobody wants to move into a house where they'd have a neighbor like that. Would you be pissed about it? Or would you just accept a substantial loss on your investment, because the guy next door wants to be lazy?

.264 magnum
10-13-2012, 21:17
Chris Matthews... is that you?

Sounds like an Obamanite.

Na. I just get annoyed when people asked for "proof".
A. This isn't a courtroom.
B. If the guy asking for "proof" does not like a statement it's up to him to show contrary evidence.

TH237
10-13-2012, 21:19
WOW...I'm glad I live in the country. I can shoot my guns if I choose to or mow or not mow. Itll be a sad day if some idiot comes to my door to tell me I need to cut my grass. They can keep there fancy living, I'll just stay country.

.264 magnum
10-13-2012, 21:22
WOW...I'm glad I live in the country. I can shoot my guns if I choose to or mow or not mow. Itll be a sad day if some idiot comes to my door to tell me I need to cut my grass. They can keep there fancy living, I'll just stay country.

Country living is awesome but it isn't for everyone.

Sporaticus
10-13-2012, 21:25
A. The OP should be pizzed no one deserves to be screwed over like that.

B. So far as home values go:
1. Our last home was in a strong HOA neighborhood. The sister neighborhood, an early split off actually, sported values consistently 8-13% less yay.
2. Regarding our new, actually old, home we pay $210 mo. for HOA dues. That gets us 24x7x365 off duty Dallas PD as security and they drive around in DPD squad cars. Crapped out cars are towed within hours. Unkept lawns are mowed with a bill sent to the homeowner. It's awesome. As I've mentioned several times we live in a neighborhood of older large homes on on large lots. One or two idiot neighbors could really hurt home values - that's simply not a problem with the HOA. Within a dense town I'd never consider owning a home in the $1 million and up range without an HOA. It'd be just too easy for one jackass to cost me $50K or $100K or a delayed sale etc.

Having volunteered on two HOA boards I can tell you without hesitation that most of the HOA horror stories we hear are whole-cloth BS or great exaggerations.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

TH237
10-13-2012, 21:33
Country living is awesome but it isn't for everyone.

Yea your right, I read about someone moving to the country from the city. They started calling the police because tractors were driving down FM roads. No joke.

tantrix
10-13-2012, 21:33

The hell it is. Since when is your neighbor responsible for the value of your home or property??

:rofl:

Answer: They aren't.

TK-421
10-13-2012, 21:39

Country living is nice if you have enough acreage that you can shoot your guns off whenever you want without pissing people off. But it sure did suck having to drive half an hour each way just to get to the grocery store when I lived with my grandparents who are out in the country. And, unfortunately, they only have five acres, with neighbors on both sides, and across the road. The houses are way too close together to shoot firearms without pissing off the neighbors. :crying:

.264 magnum
10-13-2012, 21:46
The hell it is. Since when is your neighbor responsible for the value of your home or property??

Some of us live in the real world. Come on over sometime.

Sporaticus
10-13-2012, 21:48

He reminds me of a guy I used to work with who had a similar mentality. If guys neighbor didn't cut his grass on Saturday he would come to work Monday mad at the world because they didn't cut their grass, using the idiotic "hurting my property values" crap. Monday after work, if they hadn't cut their grass, he would bang on their door and when (they stopped answering) they answered, he would demand that they cut their grass. When they stopped answering the door for him, he would call the HOA and complain. The HOA didn't do anything, and that would make him even madder. This idiot had almost a blood feud with his neighbors because they would cut their grass in a week and a half, instead of when he felt they should cut it. It was the same with childish issues like watering the yard in the dry summer, washing and waxing their cars etc. I just cannot believe how petty some people can be.

I don't know what these idiots think about property values and such. Do they really think when their neighbor doesn't cut their grass, they lose 15% of the equity in their home? And it's restored when the grass is cut? If their neighbor cuts it every other day, does that make their property value increase? IMO, it's just cover for a bunch of busy bodies who should have been born old ladies.

.264 magnum
10-13-2012, 21:51
Yea your right, I read about someone moving to the country from the city. They started calling the police because tractors were driving down FM roads. No joke.

Oh I totally believe that. Many city dwellers are 100% in the dark about rural life.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
10-13-2012, 21:56
This thread is a classic example of a symptom of an insidious disease. Communism falls around the world, but the control freaks are alive and well in the U.S.

If you don't want your home value to drop, then go live by yourself. If you don't like your co-workers, then start your own business. Big government mentalities never look to themselves. Their solution is to disdain things like property rights for their own ends. Their inability to make good on a their own results in a nanny mentality that makes A mockery of America the free.

Spend some time in third world countries to learn what real freedom is all about.

TK-421
10-13-2012, 21:59

You, sir, have a fair bit to learn about the real world, and how society works. :upeyes:

gjk5
10-13-2012, 22:00
He reminds me of a guy I used to work with who had a similar mentality. If guys neighbor didn't cut his grass on Saturday he would come to work Monday mad at the world because they didn't cut their grass, using the idiotic "hurting my property values" crap. Monday after work, if they hadn't cut their grass, he would bang on their door and when (they stopped answering) they answered, he would demand that they cut their grass. When they stopped answering the door for him, he would call the HOA and complain. The HOA didn't do anything, and that would make him even madder. This idiot had almost a blood feud with his neighbors because they would cut their grass in a week and a half, instead of when he felt they should cut it. It was the same with childish issues like watering the yard in the dry summer, washing and waxing their cars etc. I just cannot believe how petty some people can be.

I don't know what these idiots think about property values and such. Do they really think when their neighbor doesn't cut their grass, they lose 15% of the equity in their home? And it's restored when the grass is cut? If their neighbor cuts it every other day, does that make their property value increase? IMO, it's just cover for a bunch of busy bodies who should have been born old ladies.

are you being intentionally obtuse?

.264 never said that. When you have a neighborhood peppered with unkempt lawns,homes and junk-ass cars you bet your ass it drops the value. Your co-worker was an a-hole, plain and simple. But I work hard to make my home look nice and it annoys me to see lazy jerks making my home look like crap because THEY don't care.

Much like when I see dirty, ill behaved kids out and about. It irks me, I work hard to bring my kids up right. They're not my kids, but it still annoys me to see them behave badly.

Wait: much like the same reason I send my kids to private school, to surround them (and me) with people that by in large, care more and work harder. Much like an HOA.

.264 magnum
10-13-2012, 22:01

1. Don't be a jerk.
2. No one said simple and occasional un-mowed grass across the street hurts values by 10/12%. You are going to think I'm making this up - but I'm not. Around here we have extremely expansive clay soil, when people don't mow they usually don't water their grass properly either and that leads to shifting ground and broken irrigation pipes and that can lead to foundation problems and ultimately abandoned homes. The guy who can't pay to have his yard mowed or do it himself isn't going to have $5-30K in his pocket to fix his foundation. He is going to bolt.
3. HOAs tend to offer a bit of economic segregation and they maintain that segregation.

.264 magnum
10-13-2012, 22:03
This thread is a classic example of a symptom of an insidious disease. Communism falls around the world, but the control freaks are alive and well in the U.S.

If you don't want your home value to drop, then go live by yourself. If you don't like your co-workers, then start your own business. Big government mentalities never look to themselves. Their solution is to disdain things like property rights for their own ends. Their inability to make good on a their own results in a nanny mentality that makes A mockery of America the free.

Spend some time in third world countries to learn what real freedom is all about.

Fail.

HOAs are simply private contracts in action. Marx hated private party contracts.

.264 magnum
10-13-2012, 22:05
are you being intentionally obtuse?

.264 never said that. When you have a neighborhood peppered with unkempt lawns,homes and junk-ass cars you bet your ass it drops the value. Your co-worker was an a-hole, plain and simple. But I work hard to make my home look nice and it annoys me to see lazy jerks making my home look like crap because THEY don't care.

Much like when I see dirty, ill behaved kids out and about. It irks me, I work hard to bring my kids up right. They're not my kids, but it still annoys me to see them behave badly.

Wait: much like the same reason I send my kids to private school, to surround them (and me) with people that by in large, care more and work harder. Much like an HOA.

So much win. I"m with you on the private school thing as well. My family has never spent better money.

KCHORNS
10-13-2012, 22:07
I never heard of HOA with those kind of rules. I couldn't live like that. We have a basic HOA that keeps our trash pick up costs reasonable. Other that the city has ordinances that help keep the city looking decent and I have been mowing three lawns on our block not including mine, because I don't want to call the city on my neighbors.

gjk5
10-13-2012, 22:11
Fail.

HOAs are simply private contracts in action. Marx hated private party contracts.

Exactly, and you CHOOSE to move into an HOA controlled community, and you either CHOOSE to thumb your nose at your neighbors who entered into the SAME contract you did and say "eff you" to their entirely reasonable expectations or you adhere to the rules you agreed upon when you bought/rented the place.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
10-13-2012, 22:17
Fail.

I have no interest in entering into a contract with you and other nannies. The contract is between me and the property seller.

Commies are anti-freedom for their own material gain. Most Americans also value things over freedom. It's a difference in values.

.264 magnum
10-13-2012, 22:17
Exactly, and you CHOOSE to move into an HOA controlled community, and you either CHOOSE to thumb your nose at your neighbors who entered into the SAME contract you did and say "eff you" to their entirely reasonable expectations or you adhere to the rules you agreed upon when you bought/rented the place.

It is precisely that simple.

Sporaticus
10-13-2012, 22:19
1. Don't be a jerk.
2. No one said simple and occasional un-mowed grass across the street hurts values by 10/12%. You are going to think I'm making this up - but I'm not. Around here we have extremely expansive clay soil, when people don't mow they usually don't water their grass properly either and that leads to shifting ground and broken irrigation pipes and that can lead to foundation problems and ultimately abandoned homes. The guy who can't pay to have his yard mowed or do it himself isn't going to have $5-30K in his pocket to fix his foundation. He is going to bolt.
3. HOAs tend to offer a bit of economic segregation and they maintain that segregation.

It's the same mentality. In the OP, it was about a parking sticker, and people want to defend it. Property values aren't going to tank because the OP didn't get a sticker the first minute he could.

My coworker made grass cutting his issue. To hear him go off about his neighbors and their game of cat and mouse proved what a jerk he really was. Others make other petty things their issue. An American flag is often an issue.

But it still a bunch of busy bodies trying to have power over someone else, and using "property values" as their Holy Grail and justification. Most of the things people get so worked up over don't have the first thing to do with property values to begin with.

.264 magnum
10-13-2012, 22:20
I have no interest in entering into a contract with you and other nannies. The contract is between me and the property seller.

Commies are anti-freedom for their own material gain. Most Americans also value things over freedom. It's a difference in values.

And I have no interest in living near people who won't make a simple commitment to take care of their home.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
10-13-2012, 22:25
And I have no interest in living near people who won't make a simple commitment to take care of their home.

Then you should go live far away from everybody.

NeverMore1701
10-13-2012, 22:26

Funny, I'm not in a HOA and everyone still takes care of their property. Weird.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
10-13-2012, 22:28
Marx hated private party contracts.

Seems you do too.

.264 magnum
10-13-2012, 22:29
It's the same mentality. In the OP, it was about a parking sticker, and people want to defend it. Property values aren't going to tank because the OP didn't get a sticker the first minute he could.

My coworker made grass cutting his issue. To hear him go off about his neighbors and their game of cat and mouse proved what a jerk he really was. Others make other petty things their issue. An American flag is often an issue.

But it still a bunch of busy bodies trying to have power over someone else, and using "property values" as their Holy Grail and justification. Most of the things people get so worked up over don't have the first thing to do with property values to begin with.

You make some decent points.

However, even a few homes with junk/dirty/crapped out cars, overgrown lawns or home disrepair, do negatively impact home values.

.264 magnum
10-13-2012, 22:30
Seems you do too.

Do you even realize how incredibly stupid that comment is in context?

.264 magnum
10-13-2012, 22:32

Sure. It's not you and the 90% of us who have a little pride and take care of our stuff. It's the 10%, maybe 5%, who don't I want insulation from.

TK-421
10-13-2012, 22:34

It really depends on where you live. Back when I was growing up, we lived in a decent area. It was the richest town in the state, with the lowest crime rate, and was rated as one of the greatest towns to raise your kids in the whole state. Granted, we weren't as rich as most people in that town, we were solidly middle class. Had enough money to get buy and be comfortable, but couldn't buy every little extra thing we wanted. We weren't part of an HOA, but everybody kept their lawns mowed, their cars and houses clean, the kids were good and generally well behaved, as much as kids can be. Sometimes you get a good place, sometimes you don't.

Personally, as long as the rules aren't totally retarded, I wouldn't be against living in an HOA area, as most of the stuff that would be required I would already be doing, and it would be nice if everybody did the same. However, I would stay FAR away from the morons who don't let kids play in the yards, or sue families who try and build play houses in the back yard for their kids.

.264 magnum
10-13-2012, 22:35

No. I should do precisely what I am doing, live in a neighborhood with a strong but narrowly focused HOA.

gjk5
10-13-2012, 22:37

or he could choose to live by people who do not define their "personal freedom" as the right to live in a craphole, and have agreed in writing to respect their neighbors.

The simple act of agreeing to it is 90% of it. I have never owned a home NOT in an HOA and I have never seen a neighbor fined, summonsed, towed or marched into a cattle car and taken to the ovens by the HOA stormtoopers.

In general the type of people who agree to live by the rules are the type to follow the rules.

I like my placeto look nice, I like to live near people who like their places to look nice. Someone who says "I ain't agreein to no rules!!!" is typically not the kind of person to keep teir place up. Otherwise they'd say (like me and folks like .264) "well sure I'll agree to that, I would have done all that anyway".

NorthCarolinaLiberty
10-13-2012, 22:52
Do you even realize how incredibly stupid that comment is in context?

The fact that you don't even get it speaks volumes about the insidiousness of the mentality.

.264 magnum
10-13-2012, 22:56
The fact that you don't even get it speaks volumes about the insidiousness of the mentality.

OK, so you don't get it.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
10-13-2012, 22:57
or he could choose to live by people ..

Or he could choose to make better business decisions over his mentality of cradle to grave guarantees.

.264 magnum
10-13-2012, 22:58
Or he could choose to make better business decisions over his mentality of cradle to grave guarantees.

I'm beginning to feel sorry for you.

mixflip
10-13-2012, 23:00
I will say this in spite of this one issue (my truck getting towed) Heck its paid in full ($70,000) so there is an upside for us at least.

My HOA does keep the property clean and fixes anything broken quickly. They have locks on the pool and gym to keep out the kids from the outside neighborhoods. We have great security guards from Allied Barton that actually are awake and walk the property to deter crime. The entry gates are nice even though they probably dont stop anybody from piggy backing in. Oh and I dont know exactly how scientific or politically correct it is but we somehow keep out the low life thug types. Maybe thugs dont like to pay more than their welfare check? lol

Its been nice other than this one day. Like I said they did pay the bill with no argument so my HOA must be one of the better ones.

When its time to buy, it will be an acre or more with a well, out of town.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i182/mixflip/CIMG7831.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i182/mixflip/CIMG7835.jpg

J.Kill
10-13-2012, 23:02
That sucks. Do visitors get towed as well? Or do you have to get temporary passes and notify them?

Yes... You have to get temporary passes for anyone parking overnight and write name, address and phone number on a piece of paper and leave it on the dash "in case".

I almost got a $50 fine for backing in to a parking spot... That's right... You're not allowed to back into parking spots.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
10-13-2012, 23:05
OK, so you don't get it.

I get it alright. You choose the value of material things through communal contracts. I value property rights and some basic individualism. We simply value different things and have different political philosophies.

TK-421
10-13-2012, 23:29
Yes... You have to get temporary passes for anyone parking overnight and write name, address and phone number on a piece of paper and leave it on the dash "in case".

I almost got a $50 fine for backing in to a parking spot... That's right... You're not allowed to back into parking spots.

That's the kind of overbearing HOA that I couldn't stand to live under.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
10-13-2012, 23:33
I'm beginning to feel sorry for you.

I actually feel sorry for you and your mentality that says you are entitled to all these guarantees. I've read your other posts. You want to fine motorists running out of gas because you think you're entitled to commute to work unimpeded. You want regulation so Fed Ex doesn't deliver you an overly warm bottle of wine.

It seems that you don't have the ability or the elbow grease to run your own life, so you think government and quasi-government bodies should fill the gap.

gjk5
10-13-2012, 23:35
I get it alright. You choose the value of material things through communal contracts. I value property rights and some basic individualism. We simply value different things and have different political philosophies.

Bless his heart.

Tilley
10-13-2012, 23:38
You had prior knowledge that any car parked on the street MUST have a parking permit or else it will be towed. It got towed...bad on you.

My HOA sucks because it does NOT enforce parking rules (or any rules for that matter), and my block looks like a freaking trailer-park. I paid over a half a million dollars to live on Tobacco Road..wanna trade?:dunno:

stevelyn
10-13-2012, 23:42
I have no sympathy for anyone that lives in a HOA neighborhood. Y'all deserve the grief you get from those petty dictatorships. Paying property taxes is bad enough. I'll be damned if I would live anywhere my neighbors could tell me how to live.

tantrix
10-14-2012, 02:06
Some of us live in the real world. Come on over sometime.

If that is what you call "the real world", then count me out. I don't live near any neighbors, I cut my grass when I want, and I put whatever I want in my yard. I'll be damned if you or anybody else is going to tell me what I can do and when I can do it so that your snooty little estate 'keeps it's value'.

If I were to live near people like you, I'd let my grass grow 3 ft high just to piss you off.

You still have not given me or anyone else here a valid reason as to why you have a say so in what other people do with their homes or property. Unless they were stupid enough to sign a contract with an HOA that you belong to, you have no say so whatsoever. Just like your neighbors may choose to not mow their lawns, you also had the choice of not living near others.

People need to learn how to mind their own business instead of sticking their noses elsewhere. But, I've come to the conclusion that people who like HOA's are nosy ass people anyway, so it suits them perfectly. If you lose sleep at night over what your neighbor's yard or house looks like, I seriously pity you.

Cochese
10-14-2012, 02:13
HOAs. More government for people who just can't get enough.

Omg I just agreed with you :supergrin:

*ASH*
10-14-2012, 03:33
i thank god everytime i read about a HOA that i have over 100 acres and can do whatever i want on my land . ive always lived in the sticks and value the quiet and no neighbors , ive met people who like HOA living and they are all the same in my observations ,

they ***** about petty things
so uptight they could **** a lump of coal
and pretty much a group of people i have no interest in being around

Gallium
10-14-2012, 04:35
Omg I just agreed with you :supergrin:

And with a few keystrokes, my trust and faith in gravity, natural law, and all things irrevocable has been shattered. :crying::crying:

frizz
10-14-2012, 06:48
HOAs. More government fthese or people who just can't get enough.
Government? These are private contracts. Nobody forces you into a HOA.

Why do you hate freedom?

Recalcitrant
10-14-2012, 07:06
... there are no chartreuse or Pepto-Bismol pink houses...

I wouldn't choose to live in HOA property because I don't like the idea of asking anyone what color I can paint my house, having to cut my grass on a schedule, or needing visiter stickers.

If you choose to live with an HOA and by the rules they've established, more power to you. But I don't think it's something that could work for me.

Hell, neighborhoods are looking drab nowadays. Maybe we need some colorful houses.

Gallium
10-14-2012, 07:45
... there are no chartreuse or Pepto-Bismol pink houses...

Just admit it already. You spent some portion of your life living near the sea in the Caribbean/West Indies/Belize or Mexico/Central America! :rofl::rofl:

rednoved
10-14-2012, 07:49

I drive a full size truck, and I rarely pull into a spot. I almost always back in. That would take some getting used to.

groundhawg
10-14-2012, 08:00
Not sure if it's still warn where you live but if your "friend" in the HOA were to leave his windows down you might "borrow" his little yellow sticker and then "drop a dime".
Ps din't read the whole thread so sorry if this is a repeat idea.

gjk5
10-14-2012, 08:31
If I were to live near people like you, I'd let my grass grow 3 ft high just to piss you off.

Obviously. Probably the kind of person who would cut someone off in traffic and go slow just to prove they can.

You still have not given me or anyone else here a valid reason as to why you have a say so in what other people do with their homes or property.

He has, you're just not listening and are the type of person to do something to make someone miserable just out of spite.

And this is not a city/country thing. I gew up in TX and the SE in the country (and never in an HOA). We had a phrase for people who let their houses look like crap.......

LAWDOGKMS
10-14-2012, 08:44
I live in one..

A gated-community of less than 40 homes set in a cedar forest...atv trails to to the river below the ridgeline...really great place..

Te HOA is not overbearing, the cost is $400/yr which pays to mow lots that haven't been built on, common areas, fix the security cameras (which recognize digits, even infrared in the dark, read and log plates)' fix gates and fix roads if need be..

The HOA is very reasonable, with no ridiculous rules or sanctions, loke no restrictions about what you plant, if your garage is open or not etc...and everyone has an acre or more

Every resident gets a spreadsheet with address, phone number and email addresses of every other resident. I LOVE THIS and it makes for a neighborhood with no strangers.

The rules that would affect most people (the ones that affect me are):

-3000 sf minimum for single story, 3500 double story minimum, brick or rock construction only

-no rv's or boats parked in the driveway or on the curb for more than 1 week at a time (if you needed longer, an exception would be made)

-external structures (shed etc..) must be built or look like your house ( at a minimum, a brick fascia on the front of the shed

- no fences in front yards, back fences can only be of black (see thru) wrought iron

-no burning of yard refuse ( but you can have a firepot, so most of us just burn incrementally in our firepits and call it a campfire)

-pets must be fenced in the back or confined with underground electric fence

-each resident has an individual code to the gate and it must NEVER be given out. Guest can call from the gate with a keypad, and homeowners can open the gate with a code on their phone

Even LE doesn't have a code, but has to run a particular tone of siren for a full 3 seconds at the gate and the system will open the gate.

Other than the (no burning of yard refuse), I really like that the home sizes/prices, the secure gate etc...keeps the riff raff out and the neighborhood is awesome..

HOA's do serve a useful purpose and as long as they're not overbearing, I think they're a good idea.

My last house was an equivalent house off a county road, and weekly I had to clean up cups, cans, bottles outside my property lime along the road. Soooo....glad I don't have to deal with that anymore. Everyone in this neighborhood takes care of and cares about the neighborhood.

MtBaldy
10-14-2012, 08:48

Actually, from reading the thread, it's apparent that you don't get it. Comparing HOAs to communism is just laughable.

MtBaldy
10-14-2012, 08:50
Just admit it already. You spent some portion of your life living near the sea in the Caribbean/West Indies/Belize or Mexico/Central America! :

Lol! Guilty. Lived 10 years on St. Croix, U.S.V.I.

tantrix
10-14-2012, 09:21
Obviously. Probably the kind of person who would cut someone off in traffic and go slow just to prove they can.

Bad analogy. You're obviously still not getting it. When I cut MY grass doesn't effect YOU, no matter how you spin it.

He has, you're just not listening and are the type of person to do something to make someone miserable just out of spite.

Again, if the length of a neighbor's grass makes you miserable, I pity you. I think when people complain about other's lawns, they should go over and offer to cut it themselves and stop pissing and moaning.

And this is not a city/country thing. I gew up in TX and the SE in the country (and never in an HOA). We had a phrase for people who let their houses look like crap.......

And we have a phrase for those men I see outside every Sunday spraying Miracle Gro on their 'lawns' while their wife barks orders at them. It's no better than the phrase you used either.

faawrenchbndr
10-14-2012, 09:22
I am renting a townhouse that has a HOA... I know... Stupid me! Anyway, when we moved in we registered our plates for parking. I used to take home a work car when I was on call(would leave my POV at work) but stopped due to little yellow pieces of paper under the windshield that said the vehicle would be towed since it didn't have the 1"x1" parking sticker.

Two weeks ago the wife and I bought a new car and I transferred the tags... The same tags that are registered... This morning I go outside and my brand new car is gone. After I called the PD to report it stolen they said they were notified it was towed. I contacted a rep with the HOA and he told me it was towed because it didn't have that little parking sticker and even though the plate was registered it didn't matter since it didn't have the sticker. I asked what ever happened to leaving the "warnings" on the car so I could have gotten a new sticker since I JUST bought it...and my old car was here 3 months before they finally sent the stickers without a problem. He told me they don't leave the yellow papers anymore since people don't listen to them anyway so now they just tow cars without warning. $175 later I have my car back... I know I'll lose but it's going to be an all out *****fest on Monday when we call the main office.

Sounds lie you didn't follow the rules! If a sticker was required,
& you received warnings, you deserve the tow bill.
Sad but true, read the HOA rules, follow them, no problems.
Ignore many warnings, get your car towed,.....no pity from me.

Geko45
10-14-2012, 09:32
Here's my guess, your HOA has subcontracted the parking sticker validation duty to a towing company. The tow truck driver comes in and looks for anything and everything that doesn't have a sticker and tows it. It's not in the towing companies interest to give you any warning. That's not how they make money.

We have an HOA here, but they are great. Fees are only $300 per year and the HOA runs the marina for a profit covering most of our neighborhood expenses. No trashy houses, everything runs smooth and I, personally, have never gotten a warning on anything. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Gallium
10-14-2012, 09:33
Lol! Guilty. Lived 10 years on St. Croix, U.S.V.I.

got sick of the ****ing lime green, puke orange and flamingo pink houses eh? - and by that I mean the ones that had all those colors on the same wall! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

DanaT
10-14-2012, 09:43

Actually,many places in Europe this is illegal and I thought was stupid so I asked why it was so.

Seem that they have something against cars that dont have clean exhaust (think diesel smoke or burning oil) leaving soot on the walls. They also believe (rightly or wrongly) that it is best to keep fumes as far away from residential windows as possible.

Maybe your HOA had problems if they are covered spaces with soot on walls from cars burning oil/diesel etc and just decided to not allow it as the simplest solution?

DanaT
10-14-2012, 09:47
Those that are complaining about the towing, read post #1.

The new car was towed from property OWNED BY THE HOA. The parking lot is property owned and maintained by the HOA. It is essentially leased to occupant and as part of the lease agreement (which is in the HOA agreement) it stipulates the conditions of use.

So all those talking about "rights" shouldnt the owner of the property (the HOA) be allowed to manage their property as they best? This is not property owned by the OP that he was parking on.

G29Reload
10-14-2012, 09:51

Verrrry interestink. Keep us advised…on second thought, don't bother. Ve vill contact YOU!

http://assets.paleycenter.org/assets/perspectives/rowanmartin/_resampled/ResizedImage250239-arte-johnson.jpg

TK-421
10-14-2012, 09:58
I live in one..

A gated-community of less than 40 homes set in a cedar forest...atv trails to to the river below the ridgeline...really great place..

Te HOA is not overbearing, the cost is $400/yr which pays to mow lots that haven't been built on, common areas, fix the security cameras (which recognize digits, even infrared in the dark, read and log plates)' fix gates and fix roads if need be..

The HOA is very reasonable, with no ridiculous rules or sanctions, loke no restrictions about what you plant, if your garage is open or not etc...and everyone has an acre or more

Every resident gets a spreadsheet with address, phone number and email addresses of every other resident. I LOVE THIS and it makes for a neighborhood with no strangers.

The rules that would affect most people (the ones that affect me are):

-3000 sf minimum for single story, 3500 double story minimum, brick or rock construction only

-no rv's or boats parked in the driveway or on the curb for more than 1 week at a time (if you needed longer, an exception would be made)

-external structures (shed etc..) must be built or look like your house ( at a minimum, a brick fascia on the front of the shed

- no fences in front yards, back fences can only be of black (see thru) wrought iron

-no burning of yard refuse ( but you can have a firepot, so most of us just burn incrementally in our firepits and call it a campfire)

-pets must be fenced in the back or confined with underground electric fence

-each resident has an individual code to the gate and it must NEVER be given out. Guest can call from the gate with a keypad, and homeowners can open the gate with a code on their phone

Even LE doesn't have a code, but has to run a particular tone of siren for a full 3 seconds at the gate and the system will open the gate.

Other than the (no burning of yard refuse), I really like that the home sizes/prices, the secure gate etc...keeps the riff raff out and the neighborhood is awesome..

HOA's do serve a useful purpose and as long as they're not overbearing, I think they're a good idea.

My last house was an equivalent house off a county road, and weekly I had to clean up cups, cans, bottles outside my property lime along the road. Soooo....glad I don't have to deal with that anymore. Everyone in this neighborhood takes care of and cares about the neighborhood.

Man, I envy you, that sounds like a great neighborhood. I'm so damn tired of people throwing **** into my lawn. The other day while mowing the backyard I found a juice bottle the neighbors had thrown over their fence into our yard, because they're too lazy to take it inside their house and toss it in the recycle bin. That kind of thing really pisses me off, and is exactly why I wouldn't mind living in an HOA where I could register a complaint about it.

Bruce H
10-14-2012, 10:10

Just want someone else to do your dirty work. It would be real hard to speak to the neighbor yourself wouldn't it.

handyman
10-14-2012, 10:56
Due to a bad knee got a townhome. Mostly older people they leave me alone, biggest problem people not paying dues

faawrenchbndr
10-14-2012, 11:00
Those that are complaining about the towing, read post #1.

The new car was towed from property OWNED BY THE HOA. The parking lot is property owned and maintained by the HOA. It is essentially leased to occupant and as part of the lease agreement (which is in the HOA agreement) it stipulates the conditions of use.

So all those talking about "rights" shouldnt the owner of the property (the HOA) be allowed to manage their property as they best? This is not property owned by the OP that he was parking on.

Exactly,........OP screwed up & he's now crying the blues!

CBennett
10-14-2012, 12:04
lol and thats why id NEVER buy a house /apartment in a HOA or gated place...seems cool till you want to do something that seems normal then they say NO and then you wonder why lol. good luck

Sporaticus
10-14-2012, 12:33
Just want someone else to do your dirty work. It would be real hard to speak to the neighbor yourself wouldn't it.

Those types remind me of the class "tattletale" from elementary school. They drive around their neighborhood, inspecting the property of others, looking for anything out of place, and snitching to the HOA when they see something. Their justification is "my property value".

VinnieD
10-14-2012, 12:57
Sell, buy a few acres out in the country, enjoy freedom. For extra fun, sell cheap to a large immigrant family, from some eastern European country.

DanaT
10-14-2012, 12:59
Sell, buy a few acres out in the country, enjoy freedom. For extra fun, sell cheap to a large immigrant family, from some eastern European country.

So it is OK to make a derogatory statement about a group of people that are white? What do you have against people from Belarus or Estonia?

tantrix
10-14-2012, 13:03
So it is OK to make a derogatory statement about a group of people that are white? What do you have against people from Belarus or Estonia?

:upeyes:

You need more sun, your skin is way too thin.

gjk5
10-14-2012, 13:09
Bad analogy. You're obviously still not getting it. When I cut MY grass doesn't effect YOU, no matter how you spin it.

Again, if the length of a neighbor's grass makes you miserable, I pity you. I think when people complain about other's lawns, they should go over and offer to cut it themselves and stop pissing and moaning.

And we have a phrase for those men I see outside every Sunday spraying Miracle Gro on their 'lawns' while their wife barks orders at them. It's no better than the phrase you used either.

It's not about lawns, you just don't get it.

Go put another cinderblock under your El Camino.

DanaT
10-14-2012, 13:11

You need more sun, your skin is way too thin.

Now you make comments about the pigmentation in my skin? Thats racist.

MtBaldy
10-14-2012, 13:38
got sick of the ****ing lime green, puke orange and flamingo pink houses eh? - and by that I mean the ones that had all those colors on the same wall! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

After Hurricane Hugo the Corps of Engineers came to assess the damage to the hospital. What they found was the hospital was a Potemkin facade. Registers were installed in walls with no ductwork behind them, O2 gas taps in the rooms had no pipes to them, electronics were either not installed or had no wires to them, in short you would probably be better equipped to practice medicine out of your garage. Of course it was "built" with millions of dollars of Federal that instead of going into the hospital went into the pockets of the black, corrupt, liberal Democrats who ran the place.

It was the specter of waiting at least 2 or 3 and more likely 5 or 6 hours to get competent medical treatment in the event of a medical emergency that caused us to leave. And that time frame was only because we were enrolled in a jet air ambulance program out of Miami. The 2 or 3 hours would be if they already had a jet in the islands and the 5 or 6 would be if they had to send one from Miami. The Navy came in and set up a temporary tent hospital that they were still using years after Hugo.

Averageman
10-14-2012, 13:43
I came home from Iraq mid tour to find my neighbor had begun to pack his backyard with Industrial sized Kitchen Equipment, by the time I get home for good this has spilled over in to the yard between our houses.
When his garage door is open it is full of dry food for his business, Wheat,Flour, Pasta, canned goods etc. all laying on pallets.
He also had a nasty habit of running his saw at 10:00 pm on weeknights while my Son was trying to sleep.
Then when he sells the stuff he backs an F250 with a trailer accross my yard and sprinkler system.
I don't want a HOA, but I can understand why folks might want one.

.264 magnum
10-14-2012, 13:49

Why do you hate freedom?

Let him go he's totally out of it.

.264 magnum
10-14-2012, 13:55

The bottom line is people jerky enough to not take care of their property are going to respond to nothing short of fines or other contractually agreed inducements.

.264 magnum
10-14-2012, 13:58
Those types remind me of the class "tattletale" from elementary school. They drive around their neighborhood, inspecting the property of others, looking for anything out of place, and snitching to the HOA when they see something. Their justification is "my property value".

Stop fictionalizing. I've lived in HOA communities for the last 21 years. I've yet to "turn in" anyone for anything.

HexHead
10-14-2012, 14:00
I've lived in two townhouse communities, one with a HOA and one without. The one without ended up as mostly rental properties, units with three different Mexican families living in them, trash everywhere, junkie cars, weeds growing up through the gravel driveways, unkempt lawns. It was the only place I've lived I ended up losing value on.

My current townhouse has an HOA. Every week, the landscapers come and cut the grass, trim and care for the beds. Twice a week, the trash is picked up right from the containers in my carport. Two years ago, we got new roofs. Last year wood trim was repaired and painted, with new gutters installed. The parking areas and alleys between the carports were resurfaced. For the last six years, I've been on the board of managers, so I can keep any crazy rules from being implemented. I like this lifestyle.

For you couple of guys that think it should make no difference to your neighbor's value if you cut your lawn or not or have cars parked on the grass. Well, it will make it much harder for them to sell with you as a neighbor. Makes a really poor first impression, and it's more likely they'll only be able to sell to an investor wanting to use it as rental property. Enjoy your new Section 8 neighbors.

ROGER4314
10-14-2012, 14:10
Our neighborhood is on a dead end street with 26 homes. It's a quiet place where everyone knows everyone else and we look out for each other. We had deed restrictions but with no HOA to enforce them, they were worthless.

A man bought two lots and made it clear that he was going to put a Diesel truck repair shop right in the middle of our little community. He heard our complaints and told us to F off. We found the property that he owned in a nearby town and took pictures of it. It was a junkyard and rat hole! We spread those around and the HOA vote was a slam dunk!

All 26 homeowners voted to form the HOA to enforce the deed restrictions already in place. In fact, some of the restrictions were very tough and we loosened them up. The Diesel Repair shop is no more. and our HOA policy says that if you have a beef with your neighbor.....go talk to him as the HOA is not the neighborhood complaint department or community police department. The HOA is there to protect our property values and quiet lifestyle.

Our dues are $8 per month and we stash the funds in an account in case Mr Diesel wants to make another run at his plan.

HOA's aren't always bad. They are as good as the people who set up and run them! In our case, the HOA saved our community property values and lifestyle from the actions of a total jerk!

Flash

NorthCarolinaLiberty
10-14-2012, 14:10

No, not at all. Just like workers who are not forced to join a union when they contract with a private employer.

TK-421
10-14-2012, 14:11
Every week, the landscapers come and cut the grass, trim and care for the beds. Twice a week, the trash is picked up right from the containers in my carport. Two years ago, we got new roofs. Last year wood trim was repaired and painted, with new gutters installed. The parking areas and alleys between the carports were resurfaced. For the last six years, I've been on the board of managers, so I can keep any crazy rules from being implemented. I like this lifestyle.

Dude... Where the hell do you live? I want to live there. :wow:

NorthCarolinaLiberty
10-14-2012, 14:21
Actually, from reading the thread, it's apparent that you don't get it. Comparing HOAs to communism is just laughable.

The only thing more laughable is Americans who dupe themselves. Soviet style tactics are not even needed for people like you.

Sporaticus
10-14-2012, 14:21
Stop fictionalizing. I've lived in HOA communities for the last 21 years. I've yet to "turn in" anyone for anything.

I know the type. I've worked with them, and lived amongst them. I know how they are and can be.

The great lawn feud was very educational, then I started seeing the same mentality in my neighbors, and our HOA isn't run by oppressive Nazi's. But the snitches are pretty much the same wherever they are, and they have the same "protect my home value" mentality.

ROGER4314
10-14-2012, 14:33
An interesting result of or community HOA vote was that every homeowner started keeping their property neater and well tended. Not a word was said to anyone but we had an new awareness that every property affected the value of every other property. In all, the HOA was a very positive influence on our little neighborhood.

Is that Socialism? We have always looked out for each other and if you break into my house and begin packing stuff out, one of my neighbors will shoot your asx! We call that being a good neighbor!

Flash

IGotIt
10-14-2012, 14:40
Buyers have the choice to live in a HOA controlled community or not. I chose to have the HOA because the community is kept up nicely. We don't have barking dogs, we don't have cars parked on lawns, we don't have the backyard mechanics working on cars in the streets or their yards, we don't have trash strewn about, we don't have houses painted pink or blue, or whatever color you can buy from Home Depot, we don't have flower pots, wind chimes and other trailer park accessories hanging from trees or front porches, and I could go on.

Are they perfect? Not if the board members are on a power trip, but if you have a good board and cooperative homeowners, it's quite nice.

ray9898
10-14-2012, 14:53
Wow....who would have thought a scenario such as when people freely enter a contract to live in a HOA regulated community is equal to living in opression such as by a Commie or Nazi government. Only on GT does emotional ignorant blather like this get posted.

Glock&KimberLady
10-14-2012, 14:53
I have both...a home on acreage with no HOAs and a condo that does have an HOA.

The HOA at the condo provides mostly for exterior repairs, paint, and snow removal (the biggie). It's bloody expensive (goes with the location) but I figure it's worth it, given the design of the parking lot and the necessity for DAILY snow removal during the high points of winter.

The house...I'm at the end of the road and nobody bugs us. And yeah, I can shoot my guns (or crank my stereo) whenever I feel like it. I also have to drive an hour minimum to buy ANYTHING in town (half hour there and back). The twice monthly grocery trip takes four hours, minimum.

*shrugs*. Tradeoffs. Read the HOAS, abide by the rules, and if you don't like the rules, don't buy the property.

ray9898
10-14-2012, 15:04
*shrugs*. Tradeoffs. Read the HOAS, abide by the rules, and if you don't like the rules, don't buy the property.

It really is that simple. If you agree to the stipulations of the community it really can be a benefit to join with other like minded people. If you do not agree or are not responsible enough to abide by the terms yet still choose to enter the contract then complaining when you are penalized for breaking the terms is really a futile effort.

tantrix
10-14-2012, 15:11
It's not about lawns, you just don't get it.

Go put another cinderblock under your El Camino.

How about the guy in the HOA who ended up arrested because he couldn't get his grass to grow? You're right though...it isn't just about lawns, it's about EVERYTHING cosmetic.

Now you make comments about the pigmentation in my skin? Thats racist.

Uh...ok.

Glock&KimberLady
10-14-2012, 15:23
Look, the only way I can get TV or Internet is with a dish mounted on my deck at the condo. Considering we are there every.single.weekend and additional days from November to April, it would nice to watch TV and surf the net....not watch Mr. GKL/kids crack out on XBox and have to use my (rather unreliable) hotspot for internet or watch DVDs.

I did not know this until after I bought the condo.

However, I'm not mounting a dish anyway and flipping the bird to the HOA. The rules are what they are, and I could've bought a condo elsewhere on the mountain. I didn't and oh well, those are the rules.

J.Kill
10-14-2012, 16:24
Exactly,........OP screwed up & he's now crying the blues!

Maybe I wasn't clear enough in the OP. I am waiting on a new sticker...

Sporaticus
10-14-2012, 16:42

Don't let the hall monitor bother you. He was up late patrolling the neighborhood, measuring the height of the grass, and seeing who hadn't pulled their weeds, or who left the flag on their mailbox half way up. :rofl::rofl:

tantrix
10-14-2012, 16:44
Don't let the hall monitor bother you. He was up late patrolling the neighborhood, measuring the height of the grass, and seeing who hadn't pulled their weeds, or who left the flag on their mailbox half way up. :rofl::rofl:

:rofl: :rofl:

Gallium
10-14-2012, 17:42
We live in a "semi-gated" community, with no HOA. We don't have any problems.

My crib closer to NYC is a "co-op", and I've been there for a slew of years, never a problem there either.

When I drive my small 4 cylinder banger car, I don't expect a comfy luxurious ride. When I drive my V8, 18ft 5000lb SUV I don't expect fuel economy.

Any of the "dings" I've gotten from the co-op are just a part of the territory. Kinda like I expect to get a $125 parking ticket when I go into NYC.

.264 magnum
10-14-2012, 18:40
I know the type. I've worked with them, and lived amongst them. I know how they are and can be.

The great lawn feud was very educational, then I started seeing the same mentality in my neighbors, and our HOA isn't run by oppressive Nazi's. But the snitches are pretty much the same wherever they are, and they have the same "protect my home value" mentality.

Really, so by that do you mean you don't care about your home's value?

.264 magnum
10-14-2012, 18:45
Look, the only way I can get TV or Internet is with a dish mounted on my deck at the condo. Considering we are there every.single.weekend and additional days from November to April, it would nice to watch TV and surf the net....not watch Mr. GKL/kids crack out on XBox and have to use my (rather unreliable) hotspot for internet or watch DVDs.

I did not know this until after I bought the condo.

However, I'm not mounting a dish anyway and flipping the bird to the HOA. The rules are what they are, and I could've bought a condo elsewhere on the mountain. I didn't and oh well, those are the rules.

FYI - there is an FCC imposed federal regulation that disallows HOAs to limit or forbid the installation of satellite dishes.

Check it out.

Sporaticus
10-14-2012, 19:20
Really, so by that do you mean you don't care about your home's value?

The third time I had my home appraised, it was $50 million lower than the previous appraisal. When I asked the appraiser why, he pointed to a dandelion in the neighbors yard, and said as long as my neighbor had that in his yard, my home would never be worth more than $400 million. Then he pointed to a flag on the other neighbors mailbox: it was half way up, and said that cost me another $30 million in value. I quickly ran over and put the flag down, and he adjusted the value up, but he wouldn't let me pick that dandelion. Imagine that. I realized then that some things were just beyond my control.

I'm a little different than people like you. I chose an area based on the 3 most important factors: location, location, location. I know all those petty little piss ant things don't have the first thing to do with property value.

I know some idiots who think colored Christmas lights in the neighborhood hurt their property value, and protest loudly when their neighbors use them.

"Protect my property value" is a phrase coined for busy bodies, snitches, $%tches, putzes, and wannabees. It's kind of a status symbol for the lame. For the "low brow" seeking "high brow" status.

gjk5
10-14-2012, 19:31
The third time I had my home appraised, it was $50 million lower than the previous appraisal. When I asked the appraiser why, he pointed to a dandelion in the neighbors yard, and said as long as my neighbor had that in his yard, my home would never be worth more than $400 million. Then he pointed to a flag on the other neighbors mailbox: it was half way up, and said that cost me another $30 million in value. I quickly ran over and put the flag down, and he adjusted the value up, but he wouldn't let me pick that dandelion. Imagine that. I realized then that some things were just beyond my control.

I'm a little different than people like you. I chose an area based on the 3 most important factors: location, location, location. I know all those petty little piss ant things don't have the first thing to do with property value.

I know some idiots who think colored Christmas lights in the neighborhood hurt their property value, and protest loudly when their neighbors use them.

"Protect my property value" is a phrase coined for busy bodies, snitches, $%tches, putzes, and wannabees. It's kind of a status symbol for the lame. For the "low brow" seeking "high brow" status.

Or people who have been in the real estate sales/financing industry for two decades.

You are wrong and he is right. Keep bloviating all you want, it will not change that fact. You know exactly jack squat about what drives property values.

ray9898
10-14-2012, 19:37
Or people who have been in the real estate sales/financing industry for two decades.

You are wrong and he is right. Keep bloviating all you want, it will not change that fact. You know exactly jack squat about what drives property values.

Hell...common sense and personal experience should tell people this. I know when I was looking at homes a few years ago I passed up a lower priced home that was nicer than the one we purchased because of the neighborhood. The neighbor on one side appeared to be running a car resoration business out of his driveway and the other side was a rental with at least 2 families in it. I loved the house but passed because of the neighbors.

gjk5
10-14-2012, 19:40
Hell...common sense and personal experience should tell people this. I know when I was looking at homes a few years ago I passed up a lower priced home that was nicer than the one we purchased because of the neighborhood. The neighbor on one side appeared to be running a car resoration business out of his driveway and the other side was a rental with at least 2 families in it. I loved the house but passed because of the neighbors.

but what about your PERSONAL FREEEEEDOM!!!!!!

Glock&KimberLady
10-14-2012, 19:43

Make sure you hand them a measure of GFY and "You'll be paying the tow bill" on Monday. Granted, they'd popped you several times before, but with a new car and you waiting on a sticker THEY are providing...I think this one is pretty clear.

ray9898
10-14-2012, 19:52
but what about your PERSONAL FREEEEEDOM!!!!!!

I am sure that homeowner was a fan.

tantrix
10-14-2012, 19:55

Pretty much. And they're also people you wouldn't want to live by to begin with. I'd rather live next to a guy working on his '66 Chevelle in the driveway than one that's out watering his lawn all the time. What a miserable existence HOA people have.

TK-421
10-14-2012, 20:04

I'm 22 and know jack squat about realty, and even I know that the way your neighborhood looks, and how nice/crappy your neighbor's houses are, will affect your property value. :rofl:

If you buy a nice looking house, in a nice looking neighborhood for $300k, and then the neighborhood goes to ****, your house isn't going to be worth $300k anymore, no matter how much money you put into it to try and make it look nice. If the neighborhood goes to ****, your home's value will also go to ****.

Sporaticus
10-14-2012, 20:04

Bad schools, bad roads, high crime, high taxes, bad government, highway cutting through your front yard, too much retail, not enough retail, too much commercial development, a landfill, junkyard, overall dilapidated appearance of the neighborhood, and numerous foreclosures..... all DO harm property values.

Weeds in the neighbors yard, grass not cut weekly, grass not watered, a lack of parking stickers, cars backed in, colored Christmas lights, mailbox colors, backyard tomato plants, garage doors open, DO NOT harm property values.

It's not that some things don't harm property values. The question is, what really DOES. And most of the things the high brow wannabees and pricks think do, actually do not.

The whole direction of this thread is due to some of the above claiming the OP not having a parking sticker harms their property value, and his incompetent HOA is the defender of the property values. It's just stupid.

Sporaticus
10-14-2012, 20:08
PWhat a miserable existence HOA people have.

There's a line in a Seinfeld episode about this very thing. His parents and their condo board was over reacting about something petty. Seinfeld says "they come down here to live, and enforce those rules". And that is what it is. People move into those areas so they can stick their nose in their neighbors business. Somehow, overly oppressive HOA's have become a status symbol.

Sporaticus
10-14-2012, 20:13

That was basically about location. The local zoning code of that area apparently allowed multifamily dwellings. That kind of thing DOES hurt property values.

ray9898
10-14-2012, 20:17
That was basically about location. The local zoning code of that area apparently allowed multifamily dwellings. That kind of thing DOES hurt property values.

Negative....both homes were in a 1/4 mile of each other. Both were zoned the same but one had a HOA that set reasonable restrictions. The 'two families' appeared to be two female room mates with about 6 kids between them.

Sporaticus
10-14-2012, 20:22
So you are implying that having roomates with children hurt the property value? You want to live under an HOA that limits the number of children? I suspect if we knew the pertinents, there is more to it that just the neighbors having a bunch of kids.

It sounds like you were wise to pass.

ray9898
10-14-2012, 20:50
So you are implying that having roomates with children hurt the property value? You want to live under an HOA that limits the number of children? I suspect if we knew the pertinents, there is more to it that just the neighbors having a bunch of kids.

It sounds like you were wise to pass.

I am in fact implying having a rental home next door with likely relvolving unstable short term residents is not a positive factor.

I am also implying having a neighbor with 3 non-running vehicles in his yard, one covered by a blue tarp, that had not seen a weed trimmer around them all summer which the beautiful deck with screened in porch faced was also a detractor.

DanaT
10-15-2012, 01:10
<<<SNIP>>>>my home would never be worth more than $400 million. <<<SNIP>>>>

Since you are a high roller, why dont you explain to us why you walk into a Porsche dealership and it looks so much different than a chevy dealership? Why are there lattes machines and donuts for the customers? Why doesn't chevy invited people out a race track with some new corvettes or camaros to hammer on?

So when you are driving by all the used car dealerships in the poor areas (buy here/pay here places), do you think a BMW sitting on their lot has its value affected by the other cars around it? Sure it does. You question "what is wrong with it".

I can tell you, that how an area look DOES affect how much I will pay. If I see an el camino on blocks sitting in a driveway, I wont buy there. Its simple. I am not against working on cars (I like my toy and work on it). But I do that in a garage. The el camino is sitting out there because they have too much crap in their garage.

I wont live in a place that looks like a slum. If I wont buy your house, you're damn right it most likely affects you property values (well, since you have a $400M house that is a little out of my price range)

harleypilot
10-15-2012, 04:43
The op's HOA obviously made a mistake when they towed his car, and as such they should reimburse him the towing fee. If they don't, he can take them to small claims court and probably win.
As far as HOA's go, it doesn't really matter how bad you think the rules are, you signed the agreement when you bought in the neighborhood. You essentially gave your word that you would abide by them, so I don't see why there is any problem.
If you don't like the rules, buy a house somewhere else. If you give your word on something, keep it.

Bren
10-15-2012, 04:55

As much as I hate HOA's...you knew the rule and had 2 weeks to comply and you didn't bother to put the sticker on, so your car got towed. How is that anybody's fault but yours?

The op's HOA obviously made a mistake when they towed his car, and as such they should reimburse him the towing fee. If they don't, he can take them to small claims court and probably win.

They didn't make a mistake and he won't win, according to what he says. They tow cars without a sticker - he knew he was supposed to have a sticker and didn't put one on. They win.

harleypilot
10-15-2012, 05:00
As much as I hate HOA's...you knew the rule and had 2 weeks to comply and you didn't bother to put the sticker on, so your car got towed. How is that anybody's fault but yours?

They didn't make a mistake and he won't win, according to what he says. They tow cars without a sticker - he knew he was supposed to have a sticker and didn't put one on. They win.

I re-read the op and you are right. I was thinking he had asked for and was waiting for the new sticker. My mistake.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
10-15-2012, 05:12
The home value argument is no different than a union justifying mandatory membership because the new employee will be financially better off.

I contract with a merchant to work, not with the other employees. I contract with the property seller when buying, not the neighbors.

Perhaps what we really need is right to live states.

DanaT
10-15-2012, 05:19
The home value argument is no different than a union justifying mandatory membership because the new employee will be financially better off.

I contract with a merchant to work, not with the other employees. I contract with the property seller when buying, not the neighbors.

Perhaps what we really need is right to live states.

Except with an HOA in this example he contracted with the HOA to park on THEIR property. He does not own the parking space.

When you sign an HOA contract when buying a detached house, you are contract with the property seller to buy under those conditions. The first property seller (the developer) is the one who makes an HOA. As a condition of the purchase, you agree that you will only sell in the future based upon the encumbrances on the house.

I am not sure what happens if you buy a house in an HOA area (as a resale) and refuse to sign the HOA documents. I am not sure if anyone can force a new buyer to agree to the docs. With the original developer, they simply wont sell the house to you if you refuse.

But in the current economy, I could see people selling even if someone refused to sign the HOA documents. I think that is an interesting legal question.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
10-15-2012, 05:33
I am not sure what happens if you buy a house in an HOA area (as a resale) and refuse to sign the HOA documents. I am not sure if anyone can force a new buyer to agree to the docs. With the original developer, they simply wont sell the house to you if you refuse.

But in the current economy, I could see people selling even if someone refused to sign the HOA documents. I think that is an interesting legal question.

I've never dealt with an HOA, so I'd be interested to know the answer to that legal question too. I do know that the term mandatory gets thrown around a lot. I belonged to one mandatory union, but opted out. I was still required to pay some dues, but maybe I should have pursued it more. You hear all the time about mandatory vaccines, but opting out is an easy option.

I might guess that a continually declining economy will erode the teeth in mandatory HOA membership.

Louisville Glocker
10-15-2012, 05:41
Simple words: "Live and Let Live."

No way I'll EVER move into a place with a Home Owners Association. It is a choice some people make for their own personal reasons. Power to 'em. It'll keep them away from normal people like me. They can live in their little enclaves. I don't like to say never, but I'll say it on this one.

If I want to leave my fishtank sitting out in my backyard, that is my deal, not my neighbor's. Or if I want to mow every three weeks, you know what? I live in a free country. If there is a real health hazard or something, then I'm ok with doing the right thing for the community, but if your fat ass just doesn't like the way my house looks? Well...tough....luck.

I'd be living out in the country if it was just me to decide. Give me a few acres and let me build up my compound. One of these years.....

.264 magnum
10-15-2012, 07:43
Pretty much. And they're also people you wouldn't want to live by to begin with. I'd rather live next to a guy working on his '66 Chevelle in the driveway than one that's out watering his lawn all the time.

That's obvious.

.264 magnum
10-15-2012, 07:44
Bad schools, bad roads, high crime, high taxes, bad government, highway cutting through your front yard, too much retail, not enough retail, too much commercial development, a landfill, junkyard, overall dilapidated appearance of the neighborhood, and numerous foreclosures..... all DO harm property values.

Weeds in the neighbors yard, grass not cut weekly, grass not watered, a lack of parking stickers, cars backed in, colored Christmas lights, mailbox colors, backyard tomato plants, garage doors open, DO NOT harm property values.

It's not that some things don't harm property values. The question is, what really DOES. And most of the things the high brow wannabees and pricks think do, actually do not.

The whole direction of this thread is due to some of the above claiming the OP not having a parking sticker harms their property value, and his incompetent HOA is the defender of the property values. It's just stupid.

You are in fantasy land.

.264 magnum
10-15-2012, 07:49
Except with an HOA in this example he contracted with the HOA to park on THEIR property. He does not own the parking space.

When you sign an HOA contract when buying a detached house, you are contract with the property seller to buy under those conditions. The first property seller (the developer) is the one who makes an HOA. As a condition of the purchase, you agree that you will only sell in the future based upon the encumbrances on the house.

Around here closing cannot be completed without signing HOA docs, no signature - no house.

Bren
10-15-2012, 08:21
Around here closing cannot be completed without signing HOA docs, no signature - no house.

Which is why I would never consider buying a house in a place with an HOA. Even without the HOA, I can't imagine why people would live in the kind of neighborhoods that have them. Blocks of identical cookie cutter crap with a minivan in every driveway. It's basically my vision of hell.

DanaT
10-15-2012, 08:22

I know that it is like that here, but is that just because someone hasnt challenged it in court?

Is that a matter of law or of just practicality?

I dont really know.

For example, if you could show that HOA convents prevented the sale of a house that you owned (i.e. the buyer refused to buy and signed everything except that) you can show damages, could you sue the HOA for preventing the sale?

Again, I dont know. I dont know if anyone tried. I have seen where some people have had court cases won and had the HOA restriction removed from the deed because of actions of the HOA and the remedy by the court was to void the contract, so an HOA being attached to a deed is not a restriction that MUST be carried. I just dont know what the challenges are.

DanaT
10-15-2012, 08:24
Blocks of identical cookie cutter crap with a minivan in every driveway. It's basically my vision of hell.

Obviously you havent seen the minivan commercial. I am pretty sure he was riding a Harley and needed his wife to pick him up

.264 magnum
10-15-2012, 08:33
Which is why I would never consider buying a house in a place with an HOA. Even without the HOA, I can't imagine why people would live in the kind of neighborhoods that have them. Blocks of identical cookie cutter crap with a minivan in every driveway. It's basically my vision of hell.

We are even. I'd never consider buying a house in a dense part of a city without an HOA. My neighborhood is not cookie cutter in any way - homes from 50 years old to brand new, from maybe $650K - way over $10 million. I'm not sure if a single neighbor has a mini-van either.

.264 magnum
10-15-2012, 08:40
I know that it is like that here, but is that just because someone hasnt challenged it in court?

Is that a matter of law or of just practicality?

I dont really know.

For example, if you could show that HOA convents prevented the sale of a house that you owned (i.e. the buyer refused to buy and signed everything except that) you can show damages, could you sue the HOA for preventing the sale?

Again, I dont know. I dont know if anyone tried. I have seen where some people have had court cases won and had the HOA restriction removed from the deed because of actions of the HOA and the remedy by the court was to void the contract, so an HOA being attached to a deed is not a restriction that MUST be carried. I just dont know what the challenges are.

I used to be on an HOA's Architectural Committee and this came up a time or two. "I'll sue you if the HOA does not allow my buyer to buy without signing the covenant docs etc....." was how the conversation went both times. The HOA lawyer told us this was long decided private contract law and further the HOA would likely not be sued because no sane lawyer would file the papers.

And I'm not claiming that all HOA CCRs are wholly "legal". In fact I'm sure most have some areas that are illegal/unenforceable etc. That's does not make the entire CCR illegal or unenforceable.

DanaT
10-15-2012, 08:51
I used to be on an HOA's Architectural Committee and this came up a time or two. "I'll sue you if the HOA does not allow my buyer to buy without signing the covenant docs etc....." was how the conversation went both times. The HOA lawyer told us this was long decided private contract law and further the HOA would likely not be sued because no sane lawyer would file the papers.

And I'm not claiming that all HOA CCRs are wholly "legal". In fact I'm sure most have some areas that are illegal/unenforceable etc. That's does not make the entire CCR illegal or unenforceable.

My experience serving on the HOA board was different. We NEVER had anyone ask to leave or had a buyer refuse to sign.

What we had was HUGE mess from the previous president who allowed his friends to build things (and him personally) that were in violation of the covenants with a "variance". The one building (garage) we turned down after we tried to clean the mess up, they not only threatened to get a lawyer, but did. Our lawyer told us that "variances" are not allowed in the contract law, especially when they were given by members of the board to themselves. They said that what ever variances are given become the defacto standard. The lawyer advised us to let him build what he wanted and pay his legal fees before it got more expensive for us.

Basically, what I learned is 2-5% of the people in the HOA complain (i think the filter would limit the word I could use) about EVERYTHING. The walk around the neighborhood and write down and photo EVERYTHING. Then come to HOA.

The best thing to do is tell them "thank you, we will take that under advisement" and not discuss it with them. Once you start playing their game, they just keep doing it.

But there is also about 2-5% of the homeowners that you spend 90% of the time dealing with.

My issue was that I opened my mouth about how much money they were spending and the errors in their budgets. They also didnt have proper accounting (money was missing) and I pointed that out. This was at the annual meeting (to approve budgets, elect members, etc). The president who had caused the problems (and couldnt explain where $25k was...it was missing buried in many different sheets that were to accounting standards) told me (in front of everyone) if I thought I could do better, then go for it. To my dismay, they didnt elect him...

Sometimes its better to keep your mouth shut...

Kevin108
10-15-2012, 08:52
I wish it was not dark, I would take a picture right now to show you the difference between HOA and non-HOA.

I live in a small 'hood of nice newer homes on 3-5 acre lots, immediately north of us is an older 'hood with NO HOA. Half nice homes and half absolute crapshacks, the one directly behind me has 4 undtended Great Danes, 3 5th wheels, 3 corvettes in various stages of decay, a bradley GT that is 8-0% rust, several chodey Harleys, 4 "utility trailers" that all look like poop and assorted other white trash accoutrements scattered about the 5 acres.

This has made me realize that HOA neighborhoods do have a use - it's where people like you need to live so the rest of us can reside in peace.

tantrix
10-15-2012, 09:13
This has made me realize that HOA neighborhoods do have a use - it's where people like you need to live so the rest of us can reside in peace.

:rofl: :thumbsup:

MtBaldy
10-15-2012, 09:15

This.

It's very simple. You won't sign the HOA agreement, you don't buy the house. That HOA agreement is a binding contract and just as relevant as all the other closing documents.

DanaT
10-15-2012, 09:19
This.

It's very simple. You won't sign the HOA agreement, you don't buy the house. That HOA agreement is a binding contract and just as relevant as all the other closing documents.

I get that is how it generally works,but what legal principal allows me to sign a contract when I buy a house that is binding on the next buyer?

I just dont see the legal principla behind it (but I am also not a lawyer and specifically not a real estate lawyer)

Hailstorm
10-15-2012, 09:27
What is really great is. Buy a house, not be told about there is a HOA. Then get a bill for back dues..... Yea, that didn't go over to well.

Been there a while, no real issues. Just yearly dues for snow removal.

airmotive
10-15-2012, 09:28
I've purchased two houses in the last 6 years.
Both times, I've walked away from several homes based solely on the condition of one or more of the nearby houses.
It's a buyer's market; If I don't like your neighbors, I sure as hell don't want them to be my neighbors.
One of the houses I looked at during our last move, I drove by again just last week.
It has since gone into foreclosure and is now abandoned, and looks every bit as bad as the cross-the-street neighbor's house that made me walk away in the first place. (neighbor still lives there...and still has half a pontoon boat sitting in the driveway, and two would-be dirt track race cars (minus engines and hoods) sitting on blocks in the side yard).

So yeah, the condition of this guy's neighbor’s house cost him a lot more than resale value. Its failure to sell cost him his home, credit rating and probably all the family repercussions that go with losing your home to foreclosure.

Am I pro-HOA? No, not really. I happen to live in a very weak HOA neighborhood now. $125 per YEAR. The mailboxes stay repaired. The grass stays mowed. People fly their American flags, or Colts flags or Marine Corps flags.
Wanna rebuild a car? Fine. Don't do it in your front yard for two years; do it in your garage.
Wanna collect old refridgerators? Fine. Rent a storage unit.
Like cats? Fine. Don't have 500 of them.
Like dogs? Fine. Don't let them roam free. (and don't have 500 of them either).
Wanna raise pigs? Not fine at all...go away and buy a farm.

That's worth $125 a year to me, so that I don't have to be the a-hole calling the SPCA on the crazy cat lady whose house stinks of ammonia for 1/4 mile in all directions, or reminding my neighbor that if he wants to run a used car lot, he needs to get a business license and display his 25 pieces of crap in a used car lot, not on the sidewalk.

To be fair...I've also walked away from houses because their HOA dues were too high, or their rules too onerous.

HexHead
10-15-2012, 09:39
I love threads like this. It lets us know who the GT white trash are.

Rooster Rugburn
10-15-2012, 09:39
So if you live in under an HOA, and a house is abandoned, does the HOA pay for upkeep and repairs needed to make it sell?

.264 magnum
10-15-2012, 09:41
My experience serving on the HOA board was different. We NEVER had anyone ask to leave or had a buyer refuse to sign.

What we had was HUGE mess from the previous president who allowed his friends to build things (and him personally) that were in violation of the covenants with a "variance". The one building (garage) we turned down after we tried to clean the mess up, they not only threatened to get a lawyer, but did. Our lawyer told us that "variances" are not allowed in the contract law, especially when they were given by members of the board to themselves. They said that what ever variances are given become the defacto standard. The lawyer advised us to let him build what he wanted and pay his legal fees before it got more expensive for us.

Basically, what I learned is 2-5% of the people in the HOA complain (i think the filter would limit the word I could use) about EVERYTHING. The walk around the neighborhood and write down and photo EVERYTHING. Then come to HOA.

The best thing to do is tell them "thank you, we will take that under advisement" and not discuss it with them. Once you start playing their game, they just keep doing it.

But there is also about 2-5% of the homeowners that you spend 90% of the time dealing with.

My issue was that I opened my mouth about how much money they were spending and the errors in their budgets. They also didnt have proper accounting (money was missing) and I pointed that out. This was at the annual meeting (to approve budgets, elect members, etc). The president who had caused the problems (and couldnt explain where $25k was...it was missing buried in many different sheets that were to accounting standards) told me (in front of everyone) if I thought I could do better, then go for it. To my dismay, they didnt elect him...

Sometimes its better to keep your mouth shut...

In both cases the buyers did eventually sign.

I'd agree that a couple percent of people do 99% of the complaining. We also put nearly all of those complaints in the the circular file.

airmotive
10-15-2012, 09:43
So if you live in under an HOA, and a house is abandoned, does the HOA pay for upkeep and repairs needed to make it sell?

Depends on the HOA.
RTFC. (C=contract)
In mine, yes.
They can also put a lien against the property for that work.

.264 magnum
10-15-2012, 09:43
What is really great is. Buy a house, not be told about there is a HOA. Then get a bill for back dues..... Yea, that didn't go over to well.

Been there a while, no real issues. Just yearly dues for snow removal.

That would pizz me off.

Around here a packet of HOA docs in tipped into the closing stack of paperwork.

HexHead
10-15-2012, 09:44

Depends on the services provided. The townhouse next to me got foreclosed on and is now owned by Fannie May. The grass
still gets cut, the beds tended to, bushes trimmed. The shed in the carport will still get painted. As far as the outside is concerned, it's no different than any other unit in our section.

.264 magnum
10-15-2012, 09:56

Usually not. Most HOAs don't have the funds to pay for serious repair - roofs/foundations rehab etc.

However, at my last neighborhood a guy paid cash for a $600K home moved in and began cooking meth within hours. He was there for almost six weeks before we could get him out - he actually fled an hour or two before US Marshals showed up. The HOA paid the lawyer about $5K to come up with a plan. In short order the HOA bought the house, gutted it - as is required after meth cooking, fixed it and resold it.

In Houston a few years ago a friend's HOA bought an entire row of adjoining crapped out /drug infested apartments and tore them down.

ETA - I need to be more precise. Upkeep items are often taken care of by HOAs. Serious repairs often not.

IGotIt
10-15-2012, 10:05

Our HOA deals with the bank that owns the property. Most often they do the upkeep on schedule. We have had a couple that drag their feet and when the property becomes unbearable to look at, we notify our code enforcement department who then sends the owner a letter to either clean it up or the County will do it and the bill is sent to them.

When the house sells, any money owed to the HOA for unpaid dues, assessments, penalties, etc., is paid for by the bank.

Rooster Rugburn
10-15-2012, 10:24
I would think the owning bank would be responsible, but in the rare event that it was paid for, or maybe some other situation caused it to go down. There are a lot of foreclosed homes around my area (thank you Schumer for forcing lenders to loan to people who couldn't afford the home) that banks just don't seem to be properly maintaining, which seems odd. Plus, over the years, I've heard of HOA's requiring an additional fee for some expensive, unexpected project or repair.

stevelyn
10-15-2012, 11:15

Yeah, me too. It lets us know who all the GT pretentious, elitist a-holes are.

tantrix
10-15-2012, 11:25

Yeah, all those "small government conservatives" here who can't even live in a neighborhood without regulating when everybody can fart. The hypocrisy is enough to gag me.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQTe9Txt2nFclyoH0hJMv0ShfgGSxF8D6wmrVGgNerhHV5fPWBpg53KzvvX

Panglоss
10-15-2012, 11:58
It's pretty simply guys - if you can't live with the terms of a contract, don't sign the contract.

gjk5
10-15-2012, 12:02
I get that is how it generally works,but what legal principal allows me to sign a contract when I buy a house that is binding on the next buyer?

I just dont see the legal principla behind it (but I am also not a lawyer and specifically not a real estate lawyer)

It is a matter of public record and is covered by the title policy, a title company will not insure it if you do not agree to the CCR's. The HOA rules are part of the "Exceptions" on the title policy too.

It's pretty much like saying I won't sign unless that easement is removed. Ain't gonna happen.

gjk5
10-15-2012, 12:04

and let's you know who actually gives a crap about their neighbors and neighborhoods.

MtBaldy
10-15-2012, 12:11

FL HOA law is fairly extensive compared to most other states:

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0700-0799/0720/0720.html

The contract you sign is not binding on the next buyer. That's why each buyer is required to sign it. Part of that contract says you cannot sell your property to someone if they don't also sign the HOA agreement.

It was 720.3053 "Failure to fill vacancies on board of directors sufficient to constitute a quorum; appointment of receiver upon petition of member" that caused me to spend two years as President of the HOA in our small development. A HOA is a legal entity under FL law with legal rights and responsibilities.

As has been said before, if you don't want to live under the rules of a HOA don't buy a house in a HOA.

redbaron007
10-15-2012, 13:02

Depends on the HOA.
RTFC. (C=contract)
In mine, yes.
They can also put a lien against the property for that work.

As a couple of stated, it depends on the HOA.

I've seen some just care for the grounds appearance, curb appeal, then the bank is responsible for the maintenance/upkeep.

Then I've seen the HOA fine the bank daily for not keeping it up.

then I've seen the HOA keep the exterior, including any painting etc to help keep the curb appeal presentable for resale.

In all these case, if the bank or repossession organization didn't pay up, liens were filed on the property...then they get paid.

Bottom line, check out the HOA rules.

I would have the OP check the HOA process for these circumstances and make sure they followed their own process...if not, demand the $$ cash back!

The other thing I would ask, are you a party to the HOA contract? If not, I would check into them illegally having your vehicle towed. :dunno: Just a thought.

:wavey:

red

Rooster Rugburn
10-15-2012, 14:04

Too bad adults cannot just agree to disagree. This is like just about everything, personal opinion.

HOA's, some folks like them, some folks don't. But like any bureaucracy, they basically reflect the mentality of those who run\ruin it.

JW1178
10-15-2012, 14:08
Look up the policies as written. If the rules have been changed, be sure they were changed the way they are suppose to be changed and that some "director" or "board memeber" didn't try to use some "executive priveledge".

LAWDOGKMS
10-15-2012, 14:16
For the record, I do occasionally break the neighborhood's "no atv" policy by bending the technical details...playing dumb about the definition of a "golf cart"..:supergrin: In my own defense though, I don't sport around the neighborhood and drive the streets, I only use it to ride the trails to the river.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v386/lawdog1971/q.jpg

Oh yeah...and the no burning rubbish policy...I just burn it in smaller increments and call it a firepit..:supergrin:

JMS
10-15-2012, 14:24
I personally don't mind my HOA, $230 a month includes cutting the grass, blowing the leaves, snow removal, common areas, pool membership, painting of the outside of house and roof replacement. If I want to do something to the exterior of the house I submit a form which usually gets approved within a week.

If I didn't agree to the rules, I wouldn't have bought a house there. Nice and simple.:dunno:

DanaT
10-15-2012, 14:31
So what is missing in the whole story...what kind of a car was it? Was it a c-class Mercedes and maybe you PO'ed an old woman who lives in your complex? Maybe she rides a bike through the parking lot every day checking for stickers?

snowcrash75
10-15-2012, 14:40
Before you leave, unscrew all the electric switches and plugs and pour a few dozen pounds of sugar in the walls. You can have your $175 back in infestation satisfaction.http://www.thedailygreen.com/media/cm/thedailygreen/images/Ant_head_closeup-lg.jpg

Glock&KimberLady
10-15-2012, 14:43

Hrm, where do I fit in then? I have both. :rofl:

NeverMore1701
10-15-2012, 14:59

A low class pretentious a-hole?

:tongueout:

Glock&KimberLady
10-15-2012, 15:08
A low class pretentious a-hole?

:tongueout:

I figured it just made me a Libertarian.

:dancingbanana:

NeverMore1701
10-15-2012, 15:18
I figured it just made me a Libertarian.

:dancingbanana:

Around here they're pretty much the same thing :rofl:

Glock&KimberLady
10-15-2012, 15:20
Around here they're pretty much the same thing :rofl:

Ahhh...touché!!!!!

stevelyn
10-15-2012, 17:07

You're not trying to push an HOA regime as the bestest place to live. You merely own a place that has one.

JuneyBooney
10-15-2012, 18:54
HOA are hard to beat because they are not honest and lie quite well. Good luck.

frizz
10-16-2012, 05:41
No, not at all. Just like workers who are not forced to join a union when they contract with a private employer.

This is not a valid comparison, but I'm sure you will keep digging to find some more invalid analogies.

The people who owned the land subdivided it and sold the lots with restrictions and covenants (such as the HOA) that run with the land. No one is forced to buy a deed with an HOA clause. They buy them of their own free will, and it is very easy to buy a house without an HOA.

Again...

Why do you hate freedom?

frizz
10-16-2012, 05:51
duplicate

HexHead
10-16-2012, 06:01
Too bad adults cannot just agree to disagree. This is like just about everything, personal opinion.

Agreeing to disagree is one thing, but bragging about how they would prefer to leave crap on the porch, work on cars in the yard and not cut the grass for weeks is a whole 'nother matter. it shows they have no respect for others, much less themselves.

I'm all for personal freedom, but like the old saying goes, "your rights end at the tip of my nose".

frizz
10-16-2012, 06:16

The requirement is in the deed, and runs with the land. It is just the same as if you bought a house with some wort of easement.

series1811
10-16-2012, 06:45
When I was in south Florida, one of the HOA's decided that pickup trucks were ugly and got a bylaw passed outlawing "trucks" parking in driveways.

.....Only to find that "trucks" under the Florida vehicle code, included SUVs. DOH!!!

I leaned to hate them, living in Florida.

tantrix
10-16-2012, 08:24
Agreeing to disagree is one thing, but bragging about how they would prefer to leave crap on the porch, work on cars in the yard and not cut the grass for weeks is a whole 'nother matter. it shows they have no respect for others, much less themselves.

Doing whatever you want on your own property means you don't respect others? Well, I'm here to inform you that the day somebody tells me I need to cut my grass or get something out of my yard, they'll be told to piss off and to leave my property in record time.

I'm all for personal freedom

Uh, no man...you aren't for personal freedom, you just proved that with this post.

but like the old saying goes, "your rights end at the tip of my nose".

Here's a new saying: "Your nose ends at my property line".

uhlawpup
10-16-2012, 09:33
Let me see if I understand this.

J.Kill rented a townhouse in a development with a homeowners association, and feels that the rules he agreed to abide by are unjust, and wants exceptions to be made because of his particular situation.

I see.

I found a great way to have a terrific homeowners association. I took it over. I am president. SheWhoMustBeObeyed is secretary. No screwy yard-nazi rules. We control 2/5 of the Board of Directors. The other named officer, the treasurer, is a good friend. The two at-large board members are serving because I asked them to do so.

If you agree to abide by our rules, we only expect that you do so. If you do not agree with our rules, we call a meeting of all the homeowners to see if they should be changed. In the greatest of our country's traditions, majority rules. If you choose not to abide by the rules you agreed to abide by, we make it very expensive for you, and use the money to improve the common areas for us all. We do not contract out any duties of the association or board of directors. All are handled by people who live there and volunteer for the assignments.

I like our HOA. I plan to live here for the rest of my life.

dan1488
10-16-2012, 09:53
I live out in the country on some acreage, Have plenty of stuff around that would get some of y'alls blood boiling. I shoot my guns in my yard, don't worry about property values, wouldn't mind if they go down which means lower property taxes.:supergrin: Don't plan on moving so property values are a non issue to me.

P99er
10-16-2012, 10:30
In the greatest of our country's traditions, majority rules.

Are you aware this nation is NOT a democracy?

LAWDOGKMS
10-16-2012, 11:01
When I was in south Florida, one of the HOA's decided that pickup trucks were ugly and got a bylaw passed outlawing "trucks" parking in driveways.

.....Only to find that "trucks" under the Florida vehicle code, included SUVs. DOH!!!

I leaned to hate them, living in Florida.

Oh good lord! That simply wouldn't fly in Tejas!

NeverMore1701
10-16-2012, 11:57
Oh good lord! That simply wouldn't fly in Tejas!

No kidding, my truck doesn't even fit in my garage :rofl:

uhlawpup
10-16-2012, 12:58
Are you aware this nation is NOT a democracy?

Absolutely!

The Founding Fathers knew that a pure democracy could never survive. That's why they established a democratic republic.

johnd
10-16-2012, 13:10
Meh, we live in an HOA gated community of 88 where the HOA has had a legacy of doing nothing, diverting funds to parties and friends etc but there again was a source of endless entertainment for the $120 or so a year with their shennanigans and incompetence. As someone here commented, they are like the government.
They cited me over moss on the fence while forgiving their friends of mouldy roofs and falling down fences etc.
So I sued them and sued them good too. Seems now Im a 1/88th part of a special assessment to pay myself the settlement winnings. Sweet/ I get the other 87 assessments and got rid of the entire board in one fell swoop.

Thisiswhoweare
10-16-2012, 15:20
If you want to get back at the HOA board, read your HOA rules. If you don't have a copy, you can get a copy from them. Then read the section which requires the HOA board to provide a financial accounting in writing to any HOA member who inquires. If you get a financial accounting, take a look as to how the HOA spends its money from HOA members. My guess is you will find many things to pick at and even may find something to file suit upon such as misfeasance, malfeasance, or just plain incompetence by the HOA board.

uhlawpup
10-16-2012, 16:01
As a renter, he may not be a member of the HOA. The bylaws should be public record, and he can check to see. The nice thing about being a renter is that he can move away if he doesn't like the rules. He needs to check his lease and see what the conditions for moving out are.

What it all boils down to is READING. And he can do that.

jpa
10-16-2012, 19:25
Let me see if I understand this.

J.Kill rented a townhouse in a development with a homeowners association, and feels that the rules he agreed to abide by are unjust, and wants exceptions to be made because of his particular situation.

I see.

I found a great way to have a terrific homeowners association. I took it over. I am president. SheWhoMustBeObeyed is secretary. No screwy yard-nazi rules. We control 2/5 of the Board of Directors. The other named officer, the treasurer, is a good friend. The two at-large board members are serving because I asked them to do so.

If you agree to abide by our rules, we only expect that you do so. If you do not agree with our rules, we call a meeting of all the homeowners to see if they should be changed. In the greatest of our country's traditions, majority rules. If you choose not to abide by the rules you agreed to abide by, we make it very expensive for you, and use the money to improve the common areas for us all. We do not contract out any duties of the association or board of directors. All are handled by people who live there and volunteer for the assignments.

I like our HOA. I plan to live here for the rest of my life.

Yeah, some guy and his wife did something along those lines and got themselves banned for life from ever serving on another HOA board.

http://www.ktnv.com/news/local/173415661.html

uhlawpup
10-16-2012, 20:46
Yeah, some guy and his wife did something along those lines and got themselves banned for life from ever serving on another HOA board.

http://www.ktnv.com/news/local/173415661.html
Not even close to our situation.

Our neighbors chose us unanimously, and only need a simple majority to remove us.

Heck, they even agreed to double our salary. Twice zero is still zero, even with the new math!

NorthCarolinaLiberty
10-17-2012, 20:23
This is not a valid comparison, but I'm sure you will keep digging to find some more invalid analogies.

The people who owned the land subdivided it and sold the lots with restrictions and covenants (such as the HOA) that run with the land. No one is forced to buy a deed with an HOA clause. They buy them of their own free will, and it is very easy to buy a house without an HOA.

Again...

Why do you hate freedom?
Contracting with a guy selling his property is not contracting with the neighbors. Contacting with an employer is not contracting with co-workers (union). Requiring such contracts is about as anti-freedom as it gets.

gjk5
10-17-2012, 20:27
Contracting with a guy selling his property is not contracting with the neighbors.

:faint::rofl::dunno:

effing clueless.

uhlawpup
10-18-2012, 11:20
NorthCarolina needs to read up on covenants that run with the land, and the freedom to enter contracts.

Without those basic freedoms, we can end up with chaos regarding land use and our living conditions.

If you don't like the covenants that run with the land, you're free to either not buy it or to get the required number of your neighbors to agree with you and change them.

That, my friends, is freedom at its most basic level.

Geko45
10-18-2012, 11:42
Contracting with a guy selling his property is not contracting with the neighbors.

If he has already contracted with his neighbors and part of that contract prohibits him from selling to anyone not willing to also be bound by that contract then he can't sell to you unless you also agree to join and abide by the HOA rules. See how simple that is? It's not that you are being forced to join a contract with the neighbors so much as he is bound to respect his.

ray9898
10-18-2012, 11:49
My God....where do all these 'freedom lovers' come from. They have no clue and mistake freedom with "doing whatever you want".

Bren
10-18-2012, 12:25
This will warm your heart:
Suspect in homeowners association shootings tells police: 'I had to kill them' (http://www.kentucky.com/2012/10/18/2375939/man-tells-police-i-had-to-kill.html)
The man charged with shooting two of his neighbors at a homeowners association meeting told police he "had to kill" two officers of the association because a dispute over a fence could not be resolved peacefully.

Bren
10-18-2012, 12:26
My God....where do all these 'freedom lovers' come from. They have no clue and mistake freedom with "doing whatever you want".

I wonder something similar about people who are willing to give up freedom to make sure their neighbor mows his lawn as often as they think he should. I don't think much of those people.

.264 magnum
10-18-2012, 13:41
[QUOTE=Bren;19531267]I wonder something similar about people who are willing to give up freedom to make sure their neighbor mows his lawn as often as they think he should. I don't think much of those people.[/QUOTE

IMO that's your loss for being dogmatic.

tantrix
10-18-2012, 14:16
This will warm your heart:
Suspect in homeowners association shootings tells police: 'I had to kill them' (http://www.kentucky.com/2012/10/18/2375939/man-tells-police-i-had-to-kill.html)

Kill people over a fence dispute?? :rofl:

That's exactly what I'd expect from HOA people...fighting over a fence.

I wonder something similar about people who are willing to give up freedom to make sure their neighbor mows his lawn as often as they think he should. I don't think much of those people.

I don't either. No amount of American flags they like to display in their yards will convince me they are patriots, freedom lovers, or anything else.

gjk5
10-18-2012, 14:20
My God....where do all these 'freedom lovers' come from.

apparently from all the crappy looking 'hoods

tantrix
10-18-2012, 14:43
apparently from all the crappy looking 'hoods

I cut my grass when I want, put whatever I want in my yard, and paint my house any color I want...whenever I want. I also have no neighbors for miles.

And I'd give that up for people to vote if I can do it or not?? :rofl:

I also own enough property to put your house, and 10 of your neighbor's houses on. If this is the "hood", I'm never leaving.

ray9898
10-18-2012, 14:58

Willing to give up freedom? For me it is more like entering a contract to live near people with similar views and taste which promotes my community as a whole. If I give up the freedom to paint my house puke green and let the grass grow knee heigh then so be it, it is against my personal preferences anyway and is a 'freedom' I would never use. If I did not agree with the terms I would not enter into the agreement.

frizz
10-18-2012, 15:40
NorthCarolina needs to read up on covenants that run with the land, and the freedom to enter contracts.

Without those basic freedoms, we can end up with chaos regarding land use and our living conditions.

If you don't like the covenants that run with the land, you're free to either not buy it or to get the required number of your neighbors to agree with you and change them.

That, my friends, is freedom at its most basic level.

He probably thinks that road access easements are communism.

"That landlocked guy made a deal with the previous owner. I shouldn't be bound by that contract."

That contract created an easement to run with the land. A subsequent purchaser can either buy with the easement, or buy another plot of land. It is no different from a seller requiring the same thing in the contract.

"COMMUNISM! FREEDOM HATERS!!!! UNIONS!!! GAAAAHHH!!"

Bren
10-18-2012, 15:56
Willing to give up freedom? For me it is more like entering a contract to live near people with similar views and taste which promotes my community as a whole. If I give up the freedom to paint my house puke green and let the grass grow knee heigh then so be it, it is against my personal preferences anyway and is a 'freedom' I would never use. If I did not agree with the terms I would not enter into the agreement.

EXACTLY what I meant - I couldn't have said it better.

TK-421
10-18-2012, 18:45

It's not "giving up freedom", it's "giving up the **** we don't do anyways, to make sure that the people around us won't do that **** too."

Frankly, I don't want my house to be puke green, I don't want to have my grass be knee high, and I don't want my neighbor's houses having any of that **** too. So if an HOA is what it takes to make sure that doesn't happen, then so be it. It's not like I'm giving anything up, I'm just making sure that I'm surrounded by people I want to be surrounded by, instead of having it be a crap shoot and leaving it up to chance.

ray9898
10-18-2012, 20:46
EXACTLY what I meant - I couldn't have said it better.

Alrighty then....if that is enought to ruffle your freedom feathers then so be it.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
10-19-2012, 17:04
Now the stick-up-their-butt, tall grass phobes try to cover themselves with issues like easements. The big government beat goes on.

Rooster Rugburn
10-19-2012, 18:20
I had to report some neighbors to my HOA today.

One parked in his driveway, and wasn't perfectly centered in the drive way. By my measurements, he was 1.5 inches closer to the right edge than the center. And that's just unacceptable, hurting my property values like that.

I reported a second because they left a venetian crooked in the window. It's unbelievable that people are so incompetent that they would harm their property values as well as mine.

Another is having a party tonight, and he had the audacity to put balloons on his mailbox. Well, that dog just won't hunt. If I hear music, he's going to regret it.

Thank goodness for HOA's.

tantrix
10-19-2012, 18:45
I had to report some neighbors to my HOA today.

One parked in his driveway, and wasn't perfectly centered in the drive way. By my measurements, he was 1.5 inches closer to the right edge than the center. And that's just unacceptable, hurting my property values like that.

I reported a second because they left a venetian crooked in the window. It's unbelievable that people are so incompetent that they would harm their property values as well as mine.

Another is having a party tonight, and he had the audacity to put balloons on his mailbox. Well, that dog just won't hunt. If I hear music, he's going to regret it.

Thank goodness for HOA's.

:rofl: :rofl:

Annoyedgrunt
10-19-2012, 19:00
I don't either. No amount of American flags they like to display in their yards will convince me they are patriots, freedom lovers, or anything else.

Especially when their HOA tells them that they can't have those flags in their yard in the first place, so even if they want to tell everyone how patriotic they are, they can't.

:patriot:

NorthCarolinaLiberty
10-20-2012, 14:34
:faint::rofl::dunno:

effing clueless.

You support entities that try to make themselves all-in-one rule makers, enforcers, and interpreters, but somehow I'm the clueless one.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
10-20-2012, 15:10
If he has already contracted with his neighbors and part of that contract prohibits him from selling to anyone not willing to also be bound by that contract then he can't sell to you unless you also agree to join and abide by the HOA rules. See how simple that is? It's not that you are being forced to join a contract with the neighbors so much as he is bound to respect his.

I'm signing the contract as it reads. I'm not signing on to some anal entity that changes their whimsical rules to make that contract unrecognizable. Constitutions supersede such democracy. See how simple that is?

Geko45
10-21-2012, 21:16
Constitutions supersede such democracy. See how simple that is?

The Constitution regulates what government can and can not do, not what a private entity like an HOA can do. There are legal limits to an HOA's authority, but the COTUS has nothing to do with it.

gjk5
10-21-2012, 21:37
You support entities that try to make themselves all-in-one rule makers, enforcers, and interpreters, but somehow I'm the clueless one.

I support PRIVATE entities of any sort that one can freely join if one agrees to the same rules as the other members. And yes you are clueless.

Constitutions supersede such democracy. See how simple that is?

Um, yeah??? nonsense.

The Constitution regulates what government can and can not do, not what a private entity like an HOA can do. There are legal limits to an HOA's authority, but the COTUS has nothing to do with it.

whut about mah FREEDOM!!???!!

NorthCarolinaLiberty
10-21-2012, 21:37

The Supreme Court ruled a long time ago that private entities that are quasi-governmental in nature are subject to constitutional limitations. The case, in fact, was regarding deed covenants that restricted people from sellings to blacks.

Rooster Rugburn
10-21-2012, 21:40
UPDATE:

One of my neighbors had a visitor. His car was YELLOW with flame stripes, and one of those ORANGE rear spoilers. I could just hear my property value collapsing. And he parked that car in the driveway, NOT in the overflow parking area or outside the community. I reviewed the rules and cannot find anything about colors or visitors cars, so I am going to the monthly meeting, and propose the we dictate earth tones as the ONLY acceptable color of cars.

Do these animals intentionally harm my property values?

NorthCarolinaLiberty
10-21-2012, 21:41
I support PRIVATE entities of any sort that one can freely join if one agrees to the same rules as the other members. And yes you are clueless.

Um, yeah??? nonsense.

whut about mah FREEDOM!!???!!

I support private entities too, until they start deriving special powers from legislatures. Look at HOAs in Florida. That privilege subjects them to constitutional limitation.

Rooster Rugburn
10-21-2012, 21:48
Also, I would like to get the opinion of the GT brain trust.

I've noticed a a couple\few people living here have going to those thin, racing tires. Do those hurt property values? I'm thinking that we need a ban in our community.

And speaking of tires. I'm thinking of a ban on tires that aren't Michelin. Does that make sense? A couple of my neighbors aren't using Michelin tires, and as we all know, a lot is riding on our tires. I think anything not Michelin should be banned. I'm thinking of bringing this up at the next meeting.