Last Day of FTO [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Last Day of FTO

11A
10-13-2012, 12:55
I just finished my last shift of my FTO period. Now I'm released to a one officer car for the remainder of my probationary period. I'm glad to be done, but I have a feeling that being a one officer car is going to be a whole new experience!

DaBigBR
10-13-2012, 13:42
Congratulations!

Don't **** up.

How long is probation?

11A
10-13-2012, 14:06
Probation is a year long from the date the academy begins. My Christmas present this year is being off probation.

indigent
10-13-2012, 14:12
It'll be a whole new feeling riding alone..... My first shift by myself I rode around for the first 2 hours in pure silence. It was awesome.

Congrats.

Kingarthurhk
10-13-2012, 17:34
I remember the FTO program when I first got in the BP. I lived on caffeine pills. Today we are doing day shift, but don't go to sleep, you'll need to be back for the midnight shift. Cut that sign or you're fired. Don't sleep, or your fired. Oh, and be ready for day shfit after midnights, and don't go to sleep because we'll also be doing swing shfit today. I forget how many days went on before I went back to the apartment for a serious rack out. Almost 15 years ago, and I remember it like yesterday.

DaBigBR
10-13-2012, 18:46
I was mostly joking earlier, but in a hurry.

You're going to **** up like it's your job to **** up for a solid year before it all starts clicking.

11A
10-13-2012, 19:12
I've been told that i won't feel comfortable for at least 3 years; I just need to learn from my mistakes and go home safe each night.

Hack
10-13-2012, 19:39
I've been told that i won't feel comfortable for at least 3 years; I just need to learn from my mistakes and go home safe each night.

For us we are not fully vested until after three years. It is then that we become more comfortable.

collim1
10-14-2012, 05:19
Make lots of arrest from day one! If you develop the reputation as a go getter it will stick with you forever, even when you start to slow down in a few years.

It will save you a lot of headache down the road.

merlynusn
10-14-2012, 06:24
Congrats.

If you aren't stacked up on calls, go stop the first car you see commit a violation and give them a ticket/citation.

Volunteer to take reports from the senior guys. Do a good thorough investigation and report. Don't take forever to do it either. If you slack on day 1, everyone will know it.

lwt210
10-14-2012, 06:55
I can remember my first few nights riding solo for the first time. You really start to learn the job at that point as there is nobody to turn to and get their opinion on how to un-copulate a situation.

My advice to you is to know procedure and follow it to the letter. Be "that guy" that jumps calls, particularly if they are calls that you haven't been to in the past.

Help out as much as you can, keep an even temper, and be a team player.

After so many years of being a solo unit, I wouldn't have it any other way. I have become really spoiled having the entire car to myself.

Good luck and enjoy your time in that "rookie" year. And just so you know and can be forewarned, if you become that "go to" officer that the dispatchers, the admin, and the other officers look to when something needs fixing, they will hound you the rest of your days. Which can be a good thing and sometimes, can be a real pain.

Enjoy.

11A
10-14-2012, 11:19
Thanks, everyone, for the advice. I greatly appreciate it!

GRIMLET
10-14-2012, 15:05
Youre going to second guess yourself. Everyone does. You will probably make a wrong decision effecting someones life. It sucks. Deal with it.
Do it at home. Not on scene.
Good luck, be safe.

Agent6-3/8
10-14-2012, 21:23
Congrats!

Having a grasp on you're department's policy and procedures and basic laws will go a long way making life easier and helping you handle your calls.

The culture of every department is different, but if possible get as many phone numbers from your coworkers as possible. Never hurt to be able to call someone if you've got something that's got you stumped.

Other than that, just use your common sense and always maintain officer safety.

Posted from my iPhone 4s via Outdoor Hub mobile

Sharkey
10-15-2012, 13:37
I can remember my first few nights riding solo for the first time. You really start to learn the job at that point as there is nobody to turn to and get their opinion on how to un-copulate a situation.

My advice to you is to know procedure and follow it to the letter. Be "that guy" that jumps calls, particularly if they are calls that you haven't been to in the past.

Help out as much as you can, keep an even temper, and be a team player.

After so many years of being a solo unit, I wouldn't have it any other way. I have become really spoiled having the entire car to myself.

Good luck and enjoy your time in that "rookie" year. And just so you know and can be forewarned, if you become that "go to" officer that the dispatchers, the admin, and the other officers look to when something needs fixing, they will hound you the rest of your days. Which can be a good thing and sometimes, can be a real pain.

Enjoy.

Great advice that got me rookie of the year and a position as FTO .