How do you you remove carpet stains? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How do you you remove carpet stains?

TeeJay37
10-13-2012, 14:15
My dog got sick yesterday and threw up a few times. I was able to get the majority out, but there is still a discoloration. How does everyone get stains out of their carpet?

Foxtrotx1
10-13-2012, 14:26
Damn, I came in here thinking I was aiding in a murder cover up.

Spot shot, DAB do not rub the stain at first. Lots of soapy water.

rednoved
10-13-2012, 14:32
Steam cleaner works great. Rug Doctor? That's always worked the best for me. I probably wouldn't rent one to do just one spot though. I'd go ahead and do the whole house, or maybe the vehicles. Soap, water, and a shop vac is another option that works pretty good.

tryn2hrd
10-13-2012, 14:32
Vinegar.

TeeJay37
10-13-2012, 14:33
Lol, not this time :upeyes:

Is Spot shot a product?

TeeJay37
10-13-2012, 14:34
Has anyone tried that little cleaner machine they sell on tv?

TeeJay37
10-13-2012, 14:36
Steam cleaner works great. Rug Doctor? That's always worked the best for me. I probably wouldn't rent one to do just one spot though. I'd go ahead and do the whole house, or maybe the vehicles. Soap, water, and a shop vac is another option that works pretty good.

Well, it's like 4 spots, but still may not be worth the price. My moms got a shop vac. Guess I'll try that.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Zonny
10-13-2012, 14:40
Vinegar works great. Add a tiny (as in a drop) of dish soap. Rinse & repeat the rinse. If you leave the soap, it will attract dirt.

F14Scott
10-13-2012, 14:43
Shop vac works great. Hot soapy water, vac, hot soapy water, vac, Spot Shot, vac, hot clean water, vac.

MrsUzi4U
10-13-2012, 14:43
There was a black & decker handheld steam vacuum that was amazing! It probably worked too well, so they don't sell it anymore. Now, it's just scrubbing in some Resolve and a floor steamer. My long term plan, keep the pets, get rid of the carpets. :-)

TeeJay37
10-13-2012, 14:49
Vinegar works great. Add a tiny (as in a drop) of dish soap. Rinse & repeat the rinse. If you leave the soap, it will attract dirt.

I always use hot water with soap and I never seem to get all the soap up. It'll look good then start foaming if I scrub more. Maybe I put too much. I'll try the vinegar and if that fails, I'll get the shop vac. Do you use all vinegar or add it into the water?

TeeJay37
10-13-2012, 14:52
There was a black & decker handheld steam vacuum that was amazing! It probably worked too well, so they don't sell it anymore. Now, it's just scrubbing in some Resolve and a floor steamer. My long term plan, keep the pets, get rid of the carpets. :-)
I like my carpet. :(
Buut, I love my dog. When my fiancé and I were looking for a home she was insistent (along with her entire family) on no carpet because they've always had dogs. But I wanted it, so she said I have to clean it.

Zonny
10-13-2012, 14:54
Either way. Depends on how bad the stain is I guess. I keep a small spray bottle of about 50/50 water/vinegar but if I thought that wouldn't do the trick, I may use it stronger.

Yes, the soap can be counter-productive if you can't get it all out. Again, a drop in maybe a quart of water. Start with the water with soap and then go to the vinegar. It's OK to leave the vinegar in your carpets.

NeverMore1701
10-13-2012, 14:59
If you have pets and carpet, you need one of these:

http://kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Bissell-ProHeat-2X-Select-Pet-Deep-Cleaning-System-1.jpg

TeeJay37
10-13-2012, 15:04
If you have pets and carpet, you need one of these:

http://kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Bissell-ProHeat-2X-Select-Pet-Deep-Cleaning-System-1.jpg

How much would one of those run?

jdavionic
10-13-2012, 15:16
We have a steam cleaner that we got from Sams Club.

However I've found most stains come out with a warm cloth and Shout (laundry stain remover). Even when I use a steam cleaner, I pre-treat the stains with Shout.

Foxtrotx1
10-13-2012, 15:18
Lol, not this time :upeyes:

Is Spot shot a product?
http://www.spotshot.com/

TeeJay37
10-13-2012, 15:19
Man, I forgot how much I love vinegar. I used to use it for everything and got away from it for some reason. I just cleaned all 4 spots and I'm pretty sure they are okay now. I'll just have to wait until they are completely dry to be sure. Thanks everyone! :)

Zonny
10-13-2012, 15:38
Man, I forgot how much I love vinegar. I used to use it for everything and got away from it for some reason. I just cleaned all 4 spots and I'm pretty sure they are okay now. I'll just have to wait until they are completely dry to be sure. Thanks everyone! :)

"Trust me"…said the spider to the fly :supergrin:

Diesel_Bomber
10-13-2012, 15:55
I am lazy. I never figured out how to clean carpet.

I ripped every shred of it out of my house and installed hard surface flooring everywhere.

10,000 x easier to maintain.

Edit: For my wife, there are small throw rugs in strategic places. In the bedroom near the bed so she can step on that before putting on her slippers. In the bathroom. When they get dirty, we throw them in the washer. When they get NASTY, we throw them away.

TeeJay37
10-13-2012, 15:56
"Trust me"…said the spider to the fly :supergrin:

Sooo, is my carpet about to explode?

TeeJay37
10-13-2012, 15:58

I ripped every shred of it out of my house and installed hard surface flooring everywhere.

10,000 x easier to maintain.

I'm with ya on the lazy part, I just hate having little bits of stuff stuck to my feet. But there comes a double edged sword. The carpet knocks the stuff off... into the carpet. But, I'd rather vacuum than sweep.

geofri
10-13-2012, 16:05
+1 on the NO RUBBING!

50/50 laundry detergent and water. pour liberally onto stain, press clean rag into puddle after it soaks in to lift out the stain.

I was surprised how well it worked! Saved me at least one college apartment security deposit.

* have no experience concerning the issues of soap residue though.. so use at your own risk.

TeeJay37
10-13-2012, 16:13
+1 on the NO RUBBING!

50/50 laundry detergent and water. pour liberally onto stain, press clean rag into puddle after it soaks in to lift out the stain.

I was surprised how well it worked! Saved me at least one college apartment security deposit.

* have no experience concerning the issues of soap residue though.. so use at your own risk.

I was about to ask about the amount when you edited. It seems like a lot of soap. I'm pretty sure the vinegar worked, so I'll probably stick with that.

Zonny
10-13-2012, 16:14
+1 on the NO RUBBING!

:faint:

BTW Spotshot gets spots out but it leaves an oily residue that attracts soil also.

TeeJay37
10-13-2012, 18:30
Status update:
SUCESS!!

Hummerbike
10-13-2012, 19:14
[QUOTE=Foxtrotx1;19514631]Damn, I came in here thinking I was aiding in a murder cover up.

For murder cover-ups use hydrogen peroxide.

RayB
10-13-2012, 19:27
The art and science of stain removal is interesting... :headscratch:

Some stains can be removed by color-safe bleaching, while others can be lifted by heat-transfer, or broken down by enzymes. A company and product called Core makes some first-rate stain removal potions... :eyebrow:

http://coreproductsco.com/index.php/Unbelievable_stain_remover

The "don't rub or scrub" advice is sound, as your fix will look as bad as the stain! :shocked:

An excellent all around household cleaner is H2Orange2. Orange oil is a great, pet-friendly cleaning solvent, and hydrogen peroxide is a powerful oxidizer and disinfectant. Use this stuff on everything from cuts and scrapes to your best carpeting! Nothing does a better job on cleaning tile grout—and it smells like orange soda! This is one of those "Wow" products that come along every once in awhile! :wow:

I just had a carton of four gallons of H2O2 delivered yesterday! We use it in various dilutions for almost everything—including laundry! :thumbsup:

http://www.enviroxclean.com/

--Ray

m2hmghb
10-13-2012, 20:16
I would suggest getting a home or commercial model rug cleaner. They start at 150, but trust me they're worth it to keep the place looking and smelling good.

crni4
10-13-2012, 20:44
Wrong post.

FLIPPER 348
10-13-2012, 20:49

i'm not lazy but carpets are nasty. I ripped out all the carpet and installed solid bamboo floors. The only rugs are ones I brought back from the Middle East.

NDCent
10-13-2012, 21:07
Sounds like you got them cleaned but I will throw my 2 cents in anyway. Have owned rentals for many years with some nasty tenants. I learned from a good friend and carpet dealer a trick that works very well. If you're cleaning carpets add one cup rubbing alcohol and one cup Clorox2 color safe liquid bleach to each 3 gallons of carpet cleaning liquid you make/use. The alcohol cuts grease and the color safe bleach takes care of the stains. Only thing I've found it won't clean is some red wines and some red juice box drinks.

If you have really bad spot stains, mix one cup of each (clorox2 and rubbing alcohol) with 1 or 2 gallons of warm water in a bug/garden sprayer and soak the spot, wait a couple minutes, then use a strong wet vac to pull it out. A couple times will pull about any stain out, even if it's months old.

The enzyme deodorizers work great for feces, urine, puke, or garbage smells.

DaneA
10-13-2012, 21:49
i'm not lazy but carpets are nasty. I ripped out all the carpet and installed solid bamboo floors. The only rugs are ones I brought back from the Middle East.

Having spent 6 years in the carpet cleaning industry (ie I've cleaned millions of sqft of carpet). I can testify that you are correct. Carpets are nasty. I don't care how clean you THINK your carpets are, they aren't.

With that said the vinegar is one of the best all around cleaners. Best practice:
Spray spot thoroughly
Blot up with white towel
Spray spot thoroughly again
Place clean white towel on the spot
Place heavy item on the white towel
Leave to dry

The spot will wick out of the carpet and into the towel.

failsafe
10-14-2012, 04:08
Make sure it white vinegar not cider vinegar...:cool:

airmotive
10-14-2012, 04:30
http://seattle98.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/141.jpg

dango
10-14-2012, 04:44
[QUOTE=Foxtrotx1;19514631]Damn, I came in here thinking I was aiding in a murder cover up.

For murder cover-ups use hydrogen peroxide.

Very usefull info for I live with my Mother-in-Law-in-Law and wife in MY home..........Thank you....!:supergrin:

turretg
10-14-2012, 07:49
Natures Miracle

groundhawg
10-14-2012, 08:35
I learned this recently and abandoned all other past "remedys". Take rubbing alcohol and add in a good amount of dishwashing liquid. Wet the area with the soluton and do a little light scrubbing. Mop up what you can and then add more solution and cover with paper towels and a something to weight them down. Give it about 24 hours and and check. The solution disolves and removes the stain and the paper towels lift away the stain. Repeat if necessary.

TeeJay37
10-14-2012, 11:35
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I'll have to try a few. Also, I just noticed that I put " you you" in the title.

edcrosbys
10-15-2012, 11:25
Having spent 6 years in the carpet cleaning industry (ie I've cleaned millions of sqft of carpet). I can testify that you are correct. Carpets are nasty. I don't care how clean you THINK your carpets are, they aren't.

Almost everyone I know that has ever removed old carpet/padding has some type of solid flooring at home!

captainstormy
10-15-2012, 12:33
White vinegar as you found out works wonders.

I gotta agree with the no carpet rule though. Carpets are nasty. My fiancee and I are only looking at Houses without any carpet. Use some area rugs in the areas you would normally want carpet if you want.

RDW
10-15-2012, 15:42
Just hire a Carpet Cleaner!

Kevin108
10-15-2012, 15:49
Resolve High Traffic Foam is our go-to. We have a barfy cat and it's worked wonders in our apartment and home.

jtull7
10-15-2012, 17:19
bac1023 believes in cleaning his carpets by placing $5,000 1911s on the spot.

RenoF250
10-15-2012, 17:56
The Zep carpet cleaner at Home Depot works better than Spot Shot. Stain Extinguisher works best but you have to order a case now.

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/chemdry-18-oz-stain-extinguisher-case-of-12--c198-12.html#.UHyil2cZQwQ

I managed to get a commercial carpet cleaner off CL for ~$300. It works good but it a bit clunky.

DaneA
10-15-2012, 20:30
Resolve High Traffic Foam is our go-to. We have a barfy cat and it's worked wonders in our apartment and home.

I once cleaned a house that used this stuff. I couldn't figure out why I had a hundred little foaming spots in a large family room. Turns out Resolve leaves a NASTY residue on the carpet that just foamed up every time I made a pass over it. Then once I got the stuff out I could see the spot that they tried to clean up with it. So I had to go back over it and clean out the spot too.

Kevin108
10-16-2012, 22:24
They must not have wiped their carpet dry afterward. I sort of buff the carpet until it's dry and the fibers are standing up and look natural. Then again, I'm not sure what device you were using. Our Bissel shampooer doesn't have any issues. Our carpet is only 2 years old though and we vacuum with a Dyson Animal.

DaneA
10-17-2012, 12:27
They must not have wiped their carpet dry afterward. I sort of buff the carpet until it's dry and the fibers are standing up and look natural. Then again, I'm not sure what device you were using. Our Bissel shampooer doesn't have any issues. Our carpet is only 2 years old though and we vacuum with a Dyson Animal.

I was using a $25k truck mounted unit and chemicals that cost me around $30 a gallon. Your Bissel barely cleans the ends of the fibers. Just enough to make it appear clean.

Kevin108
10-17-2012, 13:42
Heh. Yeah, that's about what I figured.

TeeJay37
10-28-2012, 18:56
Damn, I came in here thinking I was aiding in a murder cover up.

Man, now it's blood. I clipped my dogs quick yesterday and it opened up last night, so now I've got to clean bloody paw prints. Not a murder but its closer to your first thought. :wavey:

Zonny
10-28-2012, 19:00
Peroxide.

DaneA
10-28-2012, 19:02
Man, now it's blood. I clipped my dogs quick yesterday and it opened up last night, so now I've got to clean bloody paw prints. Not a murder but its closer to your first thought. :wavey:

Peroxide.

^^^This^^^ and cold water. Never use hot water on blood it sets the stain.

TeeJay37
10-28-2012, 19:42
^^^This^^^ and cold water. Never use hot water on blood it sets the stain.

Ah, great advice. Thanks.