Elk taken with 10mm [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Elk taken with 10mm

uz2bUSMC
10-13-2012, 16:07
Don't know what load, but it did the job.

GLOCK Hunting - Big Game with a GLOCK. - Keith Warren - YouTube

SDGlock23
10-13-2012, 17:40
I had seen that, but was that a 10mm or .45 since he didn't specify? The other guy was shooting 10mm for sure.

uz2bUSMC
10-13-2012, 17:48
I had seen that, but was that a 10mm or .45 since he didn't specify? The other guy was shooting 10mm for sure.

Looked like a 10mm bbl diameter to me, also when he said he uses the .45 and 10mm with extended bbl, he ran his finger down the gun in hand while saying the 10mm portion. So I'm assuming 10mm.

SCmasterblaster
10-13-2012, 17:50
Full-power 10mm's are indeed powerful.

alwaysshootin
10-13-2012, 18:08
Full-power 10mm's are indeed powerful.

Other than the largest of Grizzly's, can't imagine any North American game the 10MM won't work well on. Of course proper bullet selection is a must!:cool:

SDGlock23
10-13-2012, 18:55
I think it was a .45. In another video he states that he uses the G21 and his friend the G20. Plus in the elk video the Glock has a funky rear sight and in the video below he states it's his G21, it's got the funky rear sight also. He replied to a comment left by a viewer that he used a FMJ on the Elk for penetration but has started using Grizzly +P ammo, and they don't offer a +P 10mm. I think Mr. Warren should upgrade to the .45 Super :)

Here's the video:
GLOCK | Cartridge Choice for Hunting with a GLOCK - YouTube

uz2bUSMC
10-13-2012, 19:04
I think it was a .45. In another video he states that he uses the G21 and his friend the G20. Plus in the elk video the Glock has a funky rear sight and in the video below he states it's his G21, it's got the funky rear sight also. He replied to a comment left by a viewer that he used a FMJ on the Elk for penetration but has started using Grizzly +P ammo, and they don't offer a +P 10mm. I think Mr. Warren should upgrade to the .45 Super :)

Here's the video:
GLOCK | Cartridge Choice for Hunting with a GLOCK - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9CegrHsWh8)

Yea, maybe so. That vid leads me to believe it was a .21...:dunno:

SCmasterblaster
10-13-2012, 19:34
Go 10mm!

dkf
10-13-2012, 20:19
You can kill a deer with a .22lr or an elk with a .223. It does not mean either are ideal for the job. What these videos of the magical 10mm, .45 and etc do is make people who do not know any better think the 10mm or any service caliber is ideal for hunting medium to large game. They are not.

Tiro Fijo
10-13-2012, 21:01
You can kill a deer with a .22lr or an elk with a .223. It does not mean either are ideal for the job. What these videos of the magical 10mm, .45 and etc do is make people who do not know any better think the 10mm or any service caliber is ideal for hunting medium to large game. They are not.

Well stated.

K.Kiser
10-13-2012, 21:16
Well stated.

Yep...

rednoved
10-13-2012, 21:48
Cool.

uz2bUSMC
10-14-2012, 07:11

Well, if you think that the 10mm is not ideal for medium game then most likely your views on caliber to game relationship is skewed. Large game is debatable.

Also, as far as the people that don't know any better and get the wrong message from any video, that's thier problem. It's not my job to shelter anybody from anything. If someone is influenced by one youtube vid and makes a bad decisicion they are probably an idiot and should not have bought themselves a gun in the first place.

dkf
10-14-2012, 08:35
Well, if you think that the 10mm is not ideal for medium game then most likely your views on caliber to game relationship is skewed. Large game is debatable.

I'm just not a dillusional 10mm fanboy that thinks the 10mm is optimal for anything and everything.

uz2bUSMC
10-14-2012, 08:47
I'm just not a dillusional 10mm fanboy that thinks the 10mm is optimal for anything and everything.

The video didn't say that the 10mm was optimal for everything and anything either. Nor did anyone in this thread. The truth is that the 10mm will handle medium game in a pinch. It's far cry from a "let's see if I can kill it with a .22lr" situation.

dkf
10-14-2012, 08:54
The video didn't say that the 10mm was optimal for everything and anything either. Nor did anyone in this thread. The truth is that the 10mm will handle medium game in a pinch. It's far cry from a "let's see if I can kill it with a .22lr" situation.

And a .223 or .22lr can "handle" medium game "in a pinch" if you hit it right that does not mean it is ideal, optimal or humane. You yourself think 10mm out of a Glock is "ideal" for taking medium game. It is not. The 10mm fanboys just don't get it, I do not even know why I bother.:upeyes:

uz2bUSMC
10-14-2012, 09:08
And a .223 or .22lr can "handle" medium game "in a pinch" if you hit it right that does not mean it is ideal, optimal or humane. You yourself think 10mm out of a Glock is "ideal" for taking medium game. It is not. The 10mm fanboys just don't get it, I do not even know why I bother.:upeyes:

So I guess it takes a .30-06 to take a white tail?

I know that the 10mm is more than fine for medium game. This is based on all the people who have been reliably and humanly taking medium game with the 10mm for many years. From white tails, hogs and complete pass throughs on 500lb blackbears the 10mm has it in spades. What more do you need? Choose the right bullet, place your shot right and know your limits to place the shot well that's all you need. There is no part of the animals that I listed that the 10mm has to even work hard to take reliably.

You should know that bullet construction is one of the biggest considerations and the .223 or .22lr (well the .22lr is all wrong) are certainly limited in that regard, not the 10mm.

9mm +p+
10-14-2012, 11:32
Elephant have been taken with 22LR as well, just because something can be done, doesn't mean that it should be done.

SCmasterblaster
10-14-2012, 12:09
Elephant have been taken with 22LR as well, just because something can be done, doesn't mean that it should be done.

I wouldn't go fter an elephant with a .22LR, but I would hunt deer with a Glock G20 10mm.

uz2bUSMC
10-14-2012, 12:18
I wouldn't go fter an elephant with a .22LR, but I would hunt deer with a Glock G20 10mm.

My point exactly. People act like a deer is some kinda armored creature. I would be willing to bet no one can feasibly illustrate why a 10mm shouldn't be used on medium game.

SCmasterblaster
10-14-2012, 12:21
My point exactly. People act like a deer is some kinda armored creature. I would be willing to bet no one can feasibly illustrate why a 10mm shouldn't be used on medium game.

True. I have never heard of any deer wearing body armor. :supergrin:

alwaysshootin
10-14-2012, 12:51

Was wondering that myself!:yawn:

If you watch that clip, of Keith Warren, taking that elk, is in fact, using a G21, and in .45ACP, one would have to conclude, the 10MM would be a terrible choice!:upeyes: That elk was dead before the body hit the ground! Not saying that a 45, or 10, are the ideal caliber, for hunting elk, but, if a 44 mag is, could the elk have fallen dead any quicker?

avenues165
10-14-2012, 12:57
These guys know what they are doing, more hunters should know what they are doing.

Part of the reason I quit hunting is because of fools that don't bother to figure out what they need to do. I used to duck hunt and the dikes would be littered with dead and dying birds that folks would make no attempt to bag. I watched a group of hunters that would drop birds and then watch them swim away to die slowly. Every time they shot something they would yell at it like they were in a war.

If you hunt make sure you know what you are doing. A 10mm seems capable, but if you are a beginning hunter a Glock 10mm might not be the best choice.

SCmasterblaster
10-14-2012, 13:41
These guys know what they are doing, more hunters should know what they are doing.

Part of the reason I quit hunting is because of fools that don't bother to figure out what they need to do. I used to duck hunt and the dikes would be littered with dead and dying birds that folks would make no attempt to bag. I watched a group of hunters that would drop birds and then watch them swim away to die slowly. Every time they shot something they would yell at it like they were in a war.

If you hunt make sure you know what you are doing. A 10mm seems capable, but if you are a beginning hunter a Glock 10mm might not be the best choice.

If you are a beginning hunter - any handgun would be a substandard choice.

dkf
10-14-2012, 14:03
Was wondering that myself!:yawn:

If you watch that clip, of Keith Warren, taking that elk, is in fact, using a G21, and in .45ACP, one would have to conclude, the 10MM would be a terrible choice!:upeyes: That elk was dead before the body hit the ground! Not saying that a 45, or 10, are the ideal caliber, for hunting elk, but, if a 44 mag is, could the elk have fallen dead any quicker?

Both are highly edited videos. The first video shows him shooting twice with the first shot doing nothing. Yeah real friggin effective.:upeyes: How many shots did they edit out between the first and last shot? I prefer not to have to shoot an animal twice if at all possible and have a quick humane kill.

This thread is a prime example of why many states have laws with minimum caliber requirements for certain game. It is obvious there are many people out there that cannot be responsible enough to pick the right tool for the job.

If you are a beginning hunter - any handgun would be a substandard choice. Why. You can be a life long (medal winning) handgun shooter and be a beginner hunter. Not everyone starts hunting early in life. The right handgun and that experienced shooter should have no problem humanely taking an animal.

Clutch Cargo
10-14-2012, 14:08
Interesting that it's legal.

uz2bUSMC
10-14-2012, 14:21
Both are highly edited videos. The first video shows him shooting twice with the first shot doing nothing. Yeah real friggin effective.:upeyes: How many shots did they edit out between the first and last shot? I prefer not to have to shoot an animal twice if at all possible and have a quick humane kill.

This thread is a prime example of why many states have laws with minimum caliber requirements for certain game. It is obvious there are many people out there that cannot be responsible enough to pick the right tool for the job.

Why. You can be a life long (medal winning) handgun shooter and be a beginner hunter. Not everyone starts hunting early in life. The right handgun and that experienced shooter should have no problem humanely taking an animal.

What's your criteria for the "right tool for the job"?

dkf
10-14-2012, 14:32
What's your criteria for the "right tool for the job"?

For what?

uz2bUSMC
10-14-2012, 14:36
For what?

Well, medium game.

dkf
10-14-2012, 14:40
Well, medium game.

For me minimum rifle heavy for caliber .243, minimum handgun .44mag/.45lc.(deer) Not long range. Preferred for deer is .308, .270, 30-06 and etc.

uz2bUSMC
10-14-2012, 14:45
For me minimum rifle heavy for caliber .243, minimum handgun .44mag/.45lc. Not long range. Preferred for deer is .308, .270, 30-06 and etc.

So, I guess you use full tilt .44 and .45lc with the heaviest available bullets then?

SCmasterblaster
10-14-2012, 14:45
For me minimum rifle heavy for caliber .243, minimum handgun .44mag/.45lc.(deer) Not long range. Preferred for deer is .308, .270, 30-06 and etc.

I agree with your choices. :supergrin:

dkf
10-14-2012, 14:58
So, I guess you use full tilt .44 and .45lc with the heaviest available bullets then?

That is what is nice about using a tool more suited for the job. You do not have to use the heaviest and fastest loads. Something like a 240gr XTP or flat nose hardcast is fine for me.:wavey:

uz2bUSMC
10-14-2012, 15:14
That is what is nice about using a tool more suited for the job. You do not have to use the heaviest and fastest loads. Something like a 240gr XTP or flat nose hardcast is fine for me.:wavey:

Well man, I hope you know that the 240grain .44 has a SD of .185 and the 230grain 10mm is at .205SD and looks to be a fine tool for the job for anyone. The 200grain 10mm is at .179SD which is more comparable to the 240grn .44 and should be more than fine for a deer, especially at 800+ ft lbs from a 6" bbl. The difference between .400 and .429 is pretty nil if we are talking hardcast. The penetration of either is more than enough for a deer.:wavey:

Kingarthurhk
10-14-2012, 15:21

You mean like the thread where people wanted to go deer hunting with a 9mm. People were adamantly advocating that silliness.

I have to wonder at what distances. Was it it wondering lost under a deer stand, and took a near point blank to the brain pan or spinal cord?

uz2bUSMC
10-14-2012, 15:22
You mean like the thread where people wanted to go deer hunting with a 9mm. People were adamantly advocating that silliness.

I have to wonder at what distances. Was it it wondering lost under a deer stand, and took a near point blank to the brain pan or spinal cord?

Can't you go back to that other thread and cry while hugging a tree instead of this one?

Tiro Fijo
10-14-2012, 15:24
For elk, Elmer Keith recommended a minimum of .33 cal. in a rifle to consistently & humanely harvest them. Obviously, bullet technology has advanced since then but hunters haven't. Technology very rarely trumps fieldcraft for hunting. Personally, I think even an accomplished & wise hunter would not venture below a large 30 cal. today with modern hunting bullets for elk with a rifle.

The playing field for handguns has changed dramatically with the X Frame S&W revolvers. If you discount them you are left with the .44 & .45 cal. Rugers using a large Keith style SWC or a WFN at 50 yds. & in the hands of an accomplished shot a few may stretch it out to 100 yds. with iron sights. Since penetration is far more important than expansion in these scenarios I would avoid the HP's. Just my 2 cents.

Tiro Fijo
10-14-2012, 15:25
Double post.

ModGlock17
10-14-2012, 15:25
Here's a thread for hunting. 10mm ! Enjoy them pictures. Get a drink, first.

All the Best.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1373461

SCmasterblaster
10-14-2012, 15:53
For elk, Elmer Keith recommended a minimum of .33 cal. in a rifle to consistently & humanely harvest them. Obviously, bullet technology has advanced since then but hunters haven't. Technology very rarely trumps fieldcraft for hunting. Personally, I think even an accomplished & wise hunter would not venture below a large 30 cal. today with modern hunting bullets for elk with a rifle.

The playing field for handguns has changed dramatically with the X Frame S&W revolvers. If you discount them you are left with the .44 & .45 cal. Rugers using a large Keith style SWC or a WFN at 50 yds. & in the hands of an accomplished shot a few may stretch it out to 100 yds. with iron sights. Since penetration is far more important than expansion in these scenarios I would avoid the HP's. Just my 2 cents.

Elmer Keith lives on in 2012! :supergrin:

dkf
10-14-2012, 16:01
Well man, I hope you know that the 240grain .44 has a SD of .185 and the 230grain 10mm is at .205SD and looks to be a fine tool for the job for anyone. The 200grain 10mm is at .179SD which is more comparable to the 240grn .44 and should be more than fine for a deer, especially at 800+ ft lbs from a 6" bbl. The difference between .400 and .429 is pretty nil if we are talking hardcast. The penetration of either is more than enough for a deer.:wavey:

Whew just so the sectional density is close. They must be equal then.:rofl:

You mean like the thread where people wanted to go deer hunting with a 9mm. People were adamantly advocating that silliness.Well a 147gr FMJ will penetrate through a deer and the diameter is only slightly smaller at .355" vs .401" so it must be ok.:rofl:

uz2bUSMC
10-14-2012, 16:11
Whew just so the sectional density is close. They must be equal then.:rofl:

Well a 147gr FMJ will penetrate through a deer and the diameter is only slightly smaller at .355" vs .401" so it must be ok.:rofl:

Um, yea... a 147grn fmj 9mm would probably have no problem penetrating through a deer. I mean, if you don't think so I'd guess you really don't know how sectional density works for non expanding projectiles. Same reason .357 with hardcast has been successful on deer. Doesn't take much energy to penetrate far when bullets aren't expanding. So as far as deer are concerned, they won't know much difference. They are not hard to kill.:wavey:

You probably can't come up with any good reason why the 10mm is not suitable for deer, you should probably just quit wasting your time.

dkf
10-14-2012, 16:27
Um, yea... a 147grn fmj 9mm would probably have no problem penetrating through a deer. I mean, if you don't think so I'd guess you really don't know how sectional density works for non expanding projectiles. Same reason .357 with hardcast has been successful on deer. Doesn't take much energy to penetrate far when bullets aren't expanding. So as far as deer are concerned, they won't know much difference. They are not hard to kill.:wavey:

You probably can't come up with any good reason why the 10mm is not suitable for deer, you should probably just quit wasting your time.

A 147gr 9mm FMJ can penetrate through a deer, that is why I said it. I was using your flawed logic to sarcastically say it must be an adequate deer round then. I will try and explain things further next time so you can keep up.:faint:

uz2bUSMC
10-14-2012, 16:45
A 147gr 9mm FMJ can penetrate through a deer, that is why I said it. I was using your flawed logic to sarcastically say it must be an adequate deer round then. I will try and explain things further next time so you can keep up.:faint:

All it needs to do is penetrate the deer, as with any round. They are not hard to kill. But please, give your reason why the 10mm is not adequate for the animal we are discussing.

uz2bUSMC
10-14-2012, 17:50
But please, give your reason why the 10mm is not adequate for the animal we are discussing.

Thought you would have nothing.

Remington 870
10-15-2012, 11:50
Good hits count, poor hits and misses dont count. makes no difference if its an elephant gun or a pee shooter. if you hit an animal the wrong way in the wrong place it makes no difference the weapon it will still suffer and not die.

davsco
10-15-2012, 12:11
Thought you would have nothing.

it may be adequate but that doesn't mean it's the best tool for the job. hunters should use the heaviest caliber they can shoot safely and accurately to do all they can to provide for a humane and quick harvest. clearly you don't need a .458 or .460 but let's face it, a 10mm with some 400 - 500 ft-lbs of energy at the muzzle is a far cry from a 30-06 with an actual ton (2000) ft-lbs of energy out to 200 yards.

put it another way, if you knew you would continue being shot until you actually died, what would you want to be shot with? a .22, a .223, 10mm, 30-06, .340wby, etc?

Kingarthurhk
10-15-2012, 16:11
Can't you go back to that other thread and cry while hugging a tree instead of this one?

I am not crying or hugging a tree. Neither am I going to leap out of a deer stand in a ninja suit, tackle a buck in rut and glock him with 9mm.:rofl:

uz2bUSMC
10-15-2012, 16:24
it may be adequate but that doesn't mean it's the best tool for the job. hunters should use the heaviest caliber they can shoot safely and accurately to do all they can to provide for a humane and quick harvest. clearly you don't need a .458 or .460 but let's face it, a 10mm with some 400 - 500 ft-lbs of energy at the muzzle is a far cry from a 30-06 with an actual ton (2000) ft-lbs of energy out to 200 yards.

put it another way, if you knew you would continue being shot until you actually died, what would you want to be shot with? a .22, a .223, 10mm, 30-06, .340wby, etc?

Might wanna check your energy numbers for the 10mm again. The 10mmm does provide quick and humane harvests on deer and has been doing so for a lot of people for a long time. They don't need a .458 as you said they also don't require an '06, all they need is penetration of the vitals which
10mm will do without a problem.

uz2bUSMC
10-15-2012, 16:26
I am not crying or hugging a tree. Neither am I going to leap out of a deer stand in a ninja suit, tackle a buck in rut and glock him with 9mm.:rofl:

Well, if you did leap out of a tree in a ninja suit, that should be all you need.

SCmasterblaster
10-15-2012, 18:49
It seems to me that full-power 10mm loads are more than adequate for deer hunting.

water_daddy
10-18-2012, 11:01

Excluding laws, two things are needed to determine minimum cartridge. You absolutely have to be put the bullet within vitals everytime or pass the shot.....this also defines your range. I use the 8" plate for big game measure. How does your selected load perform with the ideal perfect shot and also with possible obstructions? How will it perform if you hit a rib, nip a shoulder, or vegetation in route to the vitals? I'd have to test 45ACP (better yet 45 Super) or 10mm before considering this RELIABLE for elk. Just b/c you see a youtube video doesn't mean it is a good idea FOR YOU

SCmasterblaster
10-18-2012, 13:34
Excluding laws, two things are needed to determine minimum cartridge. You absolutely have to be put the bullet within vitals everytime or pass the shot.....this also defines your range. I use the 8" plate for big game measure. How does your selected load perform with the ideal perfect shot and also with possible obstructions? How will it perform if you hit a rib, nip a shoulder, or vegetation in route to the vitals? I'd have to test 45ACP (better yet 45 Super) or 10mm before considering this RELIABLE for elk. Just b/c you see a youtube video doesn't mean it is a good idea FOR YOU

Real life is better than Youtube :cool:

uz2bUSMC
10-18-2012, 13:36

Ok, so why are you telling me this?

SCmasterblaster
10-18-2012, 13:43
Ok, so why are you telling me this?

to offer us his wisdom. I can dig it! :supergrin:

uz2bUSMC
10-18-2012, 14:37
to offer us his wisdom. I can dig it! :supergrin:

He's offering as if I have never thought of what he is saying or done the research. He would be wrong in that regard.

SCmasterblaster
10-18-2012, 18:14
He's offering as if I have never thought of what he is saying or done the research. He would be wrong in that regard.

It is hard to converse on boards such as these. :upeyes:

uz2bUSMC
10-18-2012, 18:22
It is hard to converse on boards such as these. :upeyes:

You are correct Sir, this is why I asked him. Text doesn't always convey tone.

JW1178
10-18-2012, 20:00
I am not a hunter, but I am pro-hunting. I am against inhumane hunting such as trapping and I'm on the fence about bow hunting. Trapping isn't hunting, it's cruel and for lazy idiots that can't hunt. At least bow hunting you have to hunt. I believe that a kill needs to be made fast and have minimal suffering to the animal.

A 10mm I do believe will take out a deer, especially the kind here in the south. They are rather small. It's all about the hunter's skill. As long as they can take a shot they know they can actually take the animal, not just shoot it to see if they can hit it.

A buddy of mine is an animal control officer. He's told me a lot of how the meth head hicks out here all think they are hunters because they wear mossy oak jackets and will shoot at anything they can with whatever they have and all they end up with is wounded animals which usually die of infection or disease due to these wounds. These idiots that want to kill something to feel like a man are not hunters. The hunters I know take it very seriously.

G26AZ
10-19-2012, 18:28
>>That elk was dead before the body hit the ground! Not saying that a 45, or 10, are the ideal caliber, for hunting elk, but, if a 44 mag is, could the elk have fallen dead any quicker?<<

Actually, it WAS NOT dead when it hit the ground. If you look closely at about 1:30 in the video (1st video in the thread) when the guy is jumping around with both hands in the air yelling "whoo hoo!!", you can see the elk still flopping around in the background over his right shoulder (left side of screen).
So, it DID NOT appear to be a very humane kill to me! Instead of standing there doing his victory dance, he should have been putting the poor elk out of its misery:crying:

alwaysshootin
10-19-2012, 18:57
Actually, it WAS NOT dead when it hit the ground. If you look closely at about 1:30 in the video (1st video in the thread) when the guy is jumping around with both hands in the air yelling "whoo hoo!!", you can see the elk still flopping around in the background over his right shoulder (left side of screen).
So, it DID NOT appear to be a very humane kill to me! Instead of standing there doing his victory dance, he should have been putting the poor elk out of its misery:crying:

Yes it was! With all do respect, have doubt you've experienced killing an animal. Ever gone out back to dispatch a chicken or turkey, for the oven? You do so by chopping off the head. What does the fowl do, immediately? Should you then shoot it to put it out of it's misery? Of course not, it's dead, it's just that it's nervous system, doesn't know it yet. Same with the elk, it was dead before it hit the ground, just had the death run left in it's nervous system that it had to expel.

SCmasterblaster
10-20-2012, 12:33
I am not a hunter, but I am pro-hunting. I am against inhumane hunting such as trapping and I'm on the fence about bow hunting. Trapping isn't hunting, it's cruel and for lazy idiots that can't hunt. At least bow hunting you have to hunt. I believe that a kill needs to be made fast and have minimal suffering to the animal.

A 10mm I do believe will take out a deer, especially the kind here in the south. They are rather small. It's all about the hunter's skill. As long as they can take a shot they know they can actually take the animal, not just shoot it to see if they can hit it.

A buddy of mine is an animal control officer. He's told me a lot of how the meth head hicks out here all think they are hunters because they wear mossy oak jackets and will shoot at anything they can with whatever they have and all they end up with is wounded animals which usually die of infection or disease due to these wounds. These idiots that want to kill something to feel like a man are not hunters. The hunters I know take it very seriously.

I have never thought of trapping in these terms. It has never crossed my mind. :upeyes:

dougader
10-28-2012, 15:07
You guys that think it's necessary to hunt deer with a 30-06, or elk with a 338 Win Mag would do well to read this little treatise by John Linebaugh:

http://www.customsixguns.com/writings/common_sense_handgun_hunting.htm

I have known men and women to take all kinds of game with 10mm, 45 Super, 44 Special, 44 mag, 41 mag, and 45 Colt (with factory ammo and 30k psi handloads). While some keep their shots limited to 35 yards or so, some have taken shots over 100 yards and taken their game cleanly.

Max Prasac, author of Big-Bore Handguns and a regular columnist with Bear Hunting and Boar Hunting magazines, lists several hunters in his book who rountinely take game with revolvers. Muzzle energy figures really don't come into play like they do with rifle hunting. Sure some are taking game with revolvers bigger than your average 41 mag, but they are also taking BIG, dangerous game like grizzly, cape buffalo and moose. Who thought you could drop a moose at 100 yards with a revolver???

When Ross Seyfired first hunted Cape Buffalo, it was with a 5-shot 45 Colt. The guides there thought he was nuts. By the time he left, they were referring to his 45 as the "small 458."

This isn't trick shooting or sleight of hand. It happens all the time.

Deer with a 10mm? Pffsssst, it's nothing. A nice broadside shot through boths lungs will exit the buck, and drop him humanely.

uz2bUSMC
10-28-2012, 16:10
You guys that think it's necessary to hunt deer with a 30-06, or elk with a 338 Win Mag would do well to read this little treatise by John Linebaugh:

I have known men and women to take all kinds of game with 10mm, 45 Super, 44 Special, 44 mag, 41 mag, and 45 Colt (with factory ammo and 30k psi handloads). While some keep their shots limited to 35 yards or so, some have taken shots over 100 yards and taken their game cleanly.

Max Prasac, author of Big-Bore Handguns and a regular columnist with Bear Hunting and Boar Hunting magazines, lists several hunters in his book who rountinely take game with revolvers. Muzzle energy figures really don't come into play like they do with rifle hunting. Sure some are taking game with revolvers bigger than your average 41 mag, but they are also taking BIG, dangerous game like grizzly, cape buffalo and moose. Who thought you could drop a moose at 100 yards with a revolver???

When Ross Seyfired first hunted Cape Buffalo, it was with a 5-shot 45 Colt. The guides there thought he was nuts. By the time he left, they were referring to his 45 as the "small 458."

Deer with a 10mm? Pffsssst, it's nothing. A nice broadside shot through boths lungs will exit the buck, and drop him humanely.

Good post!

SCmasterblaster
10-28-2012, 16:55

Good post indeed! :cool:

alwaysshootin
10-28-2012, 17:23

Nicely played dougader, nicely played!

SCmasterblaster
10-28-2012, 18:11

I cannot imagine going after a Cape Buffalo with a 5-shot .45 LC revolver. :wow:

dougader
10-28-2012, 22:27
Good post!

I'm embarrassed, frankly, that I spelled Ross' last name wrong. It should be Seyfried. :embarassed:

Ross' 45 Colt load used a 350 grain Keith style SWC loaded up around 50,000 psi IIRC. Not much difference than today's 454 Casull.

SCmasterblaster
10-29-2012, 12:00

I agree 100%. :wow:

dougader
11-02-2012, 20:50
I agree 100%. :wow:

Well, the first shot was at about 1:20, the 2nd shot was at about 1:23. When that elk fell, it was all over, and he wasn't feeling a thing. So, at 1:30 - some 8 seconds after the first shot, and 7 seconds after the 2nd shot - we see a leg move. I wonder if you have ever seen an animal taken during a hunt before, or killed by a car, or killed for slaughter, or a pet dog "put down" by a little boy with tears running down his face.

Some animals drop and don't even twitch, but many do shake and twitch and roll around a bit even if hit in the head with a 30-06 at 10 feet. My Dad was the guy who shot a 700 pound steer for slaughter and I was there to see it. The steer was dead right there, but the legs were still moving as if he was trying to run away. He wasn't alive, his brain was gone!

Some deer run and bound away for 100 yards or more even when hit solidly through the lungs and heart. Some drop like they were struck by lightening.

I have seen a headless chicken chase a screaming girl down the road after it's head had been chopped off. The little girl was my sister. I have seen a cat crushed by a car, yet the nerve spasms caused the animal to bounce up and down over and over at about 3 feet in the air!

I was the little boy who had to put his own dog down. I was 6 or 7 years old. Hard fact of farm life: there is no money to take pets to the vet. Money goes for animals that end up in the freezer. The little guy tried to jump into the car just as my brother was shutting his door. That 1964 Mercury door snapped the dog's neck, and I wasn't about to let my mom screw it up and make it worse. I put that bullet right through the middle of Ben's brain pan... and he shook and quivered while I held him and cried. It probably only lasted for 5 or 6 seconds, but it was the longest wait I had ever experienced.

So, I disagree with your assessment. My experience tells me different.

frank4570
11-02-2012, 23:25
I've killed deer with my 10mm. With hollow points the wound channel is very similar to a broadhead arrow. And the deer react a lot like they have been hit by a 3 blade broadhead, they run.
Not at all similar to a rifle hit which usually drops deer so fast it's like lightening or something.

NEOH212
11-03-2012, 00:00
There's no way it was a 10mm. There wouldn't be any Elk left much less a forest for the trees!

:tongueout:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

alwaysshootin
11-03-2012, 02:48
There's no way it was a 10mm. There wouldn't be any Elk left much less a forest for the trees!

:tongueout:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

For sure! If the "TEN", were used, there would have been a pronounced "mist" on the exit wound. That mist, would be the entrails, exiting!!!!!!!!!!!:shocked:

:supergrin:

SDGlock23
11-03-2012, 08:11
The dead give away that it wasn't a 10mm is that the surrounding trees were not flattened by the blast and the entire elk would have instantly turned into a pile of goo with that tremendous amount of energy passing through it. Additionally the camera lens would have shattered and most likely the shooter and camera man would have blacked out due the the concussion of the 10mm detonation.

SCmasterblaster
11-03-2012, 11:37
The dead give away that it wasn't a 10mm is that the surrounding trees were not flattened by the blast and the entire elk would have instantly turned into a pile of goo with that tremendous amount of energy passing through it. Additionally the camera lens would have shattered and most likely the shooter and camera man would have blacked out due the the concussion of the 10mm detonation.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Michael Rye
11-04-2012, 06:03
I'm embarrassed, frankly, that I spelled Ross' last name wrong. It should be Seyfried. :embarassed:

Ross' 45 Colt load used a 350 grain Keith style SWC loaded up around 50,000 psi IIRC. Not much difference than today's 454 Casull.
Yep. Definitely not a 45 Colt cowboy load. He was using a specialty converted revolver, and his loading basically was equivalent to 454 Casull. Seyfried has stated that the 454 Casull is not needed as the 45 Colt can be loaded to do anything the 454 Casull can, provided the particular gun is strong enough to handle it.

SCmasterblaster
11-04-2012, 13:10
Yep. Definitely not a 45 Colt cowboy load. He was using a specialty converted revolver, and his loading basically was equivalent to 454 Casull. Seyfried has stated that the 454 Casull is not needed as the 45 Colt can be loaded to do anything the 454 Casull can, provided the particular gun is strong enough to handle it.

Equal to .454 Casull? Then it is a .45 Magnum for sure.

Michael Rye
11-04-2012, 14:04
Equal to .454 Casull? Then it is a .45 Magnum for sure.
Just be careful of the guns you try it in. But yes, the 45 Colt can be loaded up to what the 454 Casull can do. If I remember right, Seyfried's gun was a five shot conversion. 45 Colt is a very impressive round to be sure.

SCmasterblaster
11-04-2012, 14:08
Just be careful of the guns you try it in. But yes, the 45 Colt can be loaded up to what the 454 Casull can do. If I remember right, Seyfried's gun was a five shot conversion. 45 Colt is a very impressive round to be sure.

A five-shot .45 LC revolver has a lot of meat around each chamber, that's right.