Do you give some back? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Do you give some back?

Diesel_Bomber
10-13-2012, 16:54
Do you try and repay some of your success?

I have been successful in life.

The lion's share of this success is my own hard work and sheer cussed determination to succeed.

Some of this success was luck, chance, God's gift, grace, karma, what have you.

I'm not a religious person. I feel that most people MAKE their own luck. Not sure on Karma, either. But what goes around does indeed seem to come around.

So, I try to put my success back into the world, to pay it forward. I've been given a couple breaks in life and have tried to repay the universe for this.

In the past I've made large donations to the Ronald McDonald house, the Fisher house, BACA, and St. Judes. Helped out friends and complete strangers who were in need, that kind of thing.

Do you try and pay forward your success? How so?

PPinesRon
10-13-2012, 17:13
I volunteer one day a week at a hospital. Costs me thousands in salary per year, I'm a consultant, but it feels great and "level-sets" me to appreciate all that I have.

r3dot
10-13-2012, 17:28
Good for you...?

Gregg702
10-13-2012, 17:36
My wife volunteers at a local battered womens shelter, and we also donate things such as diapers and food to them. We also donate to other charitable organizations.

Gallium
10-13-2012, 17:39
Much of my work is for not-for profits, which include charities who donate/steer/direct a great majority of the $$ they earn towards their stated cause; homeless shelter(s); substance abuse programs and a battered women's shelter.

This does not include what we give to actual charities. I drag my sons out when I do "grunt work" at some of those above stated places, so they can see how the other xx% of the population scrapes by.

HollowHead
10-13-2012, 18:13
We do a great deal with the local no-kill shelter. If fact, if the weather holds tomorrow I'll be up there finishing the roof with a local roofing company that donated materials and sweat. HH

okie
10-13-2012, 18:18
My wife volunteers at a local battered womens shelter, and we also donate things such as diapers and food to them. We also donate to other charitable organizations.

I prefer fried women:tongueout::rofl:

okie
10-13-2012, 18:21
When I get a little extra I try to help out some one worse off than me:supergrin:

tous
10-13-2012, 18:26
I give maybe 15-20% of my income to various charities, mainly veteran's charties.
I consider it a duty and don't go around bragging on it.

Hef
10-13-2012, 18:38
I've built quite a few homes for Habitat for Humanity, and I've donated shop time and materials for the Humane Association.

happy seal
10-13-2012, 18:41
Pat yourselves on your backs boys!

jtmac
10-13-2012, 18:52
I do, but I'm not really comfortable talking about the amounts. I do sometimes discuss relative amounts when making a point in certain situations, but it sounds like bragging, so I don't.

I'm glad people talk about it, though. It keeps the practice fresh in the mind of others and shows that it can be done.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
10-13-2012, 18:55
There are some pretty famous give back programs started in 1913 and 1935.

Bruce M
10-13-2012, 19:22
Anyone know if giving a generous tip to your hooker counts as giving back?

NEOH212
10-13-2012, 19:25
I volunteer my services as the mechanic and maintenance technician for a local animal shelter.

It feels great to do something good. :cool:

gjk5
10-13-2012, 19:28
Some of my co-workers and I do a number of fund raisers every year. Mostly tied to Salvation Army and Red Cross.

I give my own money to non-profits of my choosing as well.

We did a big vet fund raiser this year to take an injured young vet on a guided elk hunt, but they moved the date of his amputation, so we are going to have to hunt next year.

M&P Shooter
10-13-2012, 19:29
I prefer fried women:tongueout::rofl:
Dipped in BBQ sauce:supergrin:

*ASH*
10-13-2012, 19:30
not really .

we help keep up 3 no kill shelters

coastal4974
10-13-2012, 21:26
Giving "back" sounds like it was first given to you. If you're successful, most likely you worked for it, no one gave it to you.

I donate and volunteer

certifiedfunds
10-13-2012, 21:36
Some routine charity support. Probably not enough.
We have a scholarship we fund at a local Catholic high school in the name of my grandparents.

My favorite is opportunistic acts of charity when presented with someone in need.

I don't volunteer. Shame on me.

.264 magnum
10-13-2012, 21:44
We donate money to various causes.

My wife and I also volunteer our time. I hump it for Habitat for Humanity my wife teaches young girls about technology and business.

Our son does the Habitat for Humanity thing as well and he tutors high school age kids in math and science gratis.

Our high school age daughter volunteers at a no kill shelter, she reads to mentally challenged kids before school 1x per week, and other things as they pop up.

IMO we are lucky to be Americans and few things feel better than helping others in a direct sort-of way.

skinny99
10-13-2012, 22:08
It is very hard for me to give when I don't see the recipients or the results. So donating to large charities is not something I am comfortable with. However I generally will get involved in something local. Whether I know the person or not I donate and attend benefits through out the year. Usually when Cancer is involved, it hits close to home. Every family member but one that has died in the last 30 years has been because of cancer, including my mom at 53. We were very close and actually worked together for ten years. And Dad is fighting it for the 3rd time.

I have been to three in the last 45 days including one today. There is a poker run tomorrow for breast cancer, I am unable to attend but I did send a small personal donation. I have attended the last two years and donated both personally and professionally.

I am aware that donating to larger charities may help in the grand scheme of things, but I like the local events.

Snaps
10-13-2012, 22:08
Only money I give away goes to an animal shelter and animal hospital. Dogs can't get jobs and need help from people.

.264 magnum
10-13-2012, 22:16
It is very hard for me to give when I don't see the recipients or the results. So donating to large charities is not something I am comfortable with. However I generally will get involved in something local. Whether I know the person or not I donate and attend benefits through out the year. Usually when Cancer is involved, it hits close to home. Every family member but one that has died in the last 30 years has been because of cancer, including my mom at 53. We were very close and actually worked together for ten years. And Dad is fighting it for the 3rd time.

I have been to three in the last 45 days including one today. There is a poker run tomorrow for breast cancer, I am unable to attend but I did send a small personal donation. I have attended the last two years and donated both personally and professionally.

I am aware that donating to larger charities may help in the grand scheme of things, but I like the local events.

I agree with you. I like to do things when I can and donate to causes that are close to home.

sierrafast
10-13-2012, 22:22
I donate my used clothes.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Glock13
10-13-2012, 22:42
I donate to charity. However, I have some prerequisites. Military charities come first...Wounded Warrior, etc. Why? Because they gave something to me. All other donations go to charities that help people who are in a bad situation NOT due to their own actions.

Nestor
10-13-2012, 22:46
Yes I do.
It feels natural.