can i mount a rail on my carry handle? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : can i mount a rail on my carry handle?

Tim151515
10-13-2012, 18:41
I have a carbine that still has the carrying handle, i have been looking at getting a nikon optic. i still wanted it to have an iron site, so i was looking at flip ups.

but then i looked at the top of the handle. it has a hole in it, is that so you can put a rail on it? i know it would look kind of goofy, but i really like the handle sites, have them zeroed ot a T, and would save me the money of buying new sites.

skeeter7
10-13-2012, 18:44
Yes, if you're carry handle has a hole in the top of it, you can mount a rail that is specifically made for that reason.

AK_Stick
10-13-2012, 18:46
You can, but it puts the scope up pretty high, and can make attaining a proper cheek weld problematic.

But yes, you can do it. I would advise against it however. If you really feel the need to mount something to your carry handle, one of the scopes, like an ACOG that mounts through the carry handle would be best, IMO.

Tim151515
10-13-2012, 19:00
You can, but it puts the scope up pretty high, and can make attaining a proper cheek weld problematic.

But yes, you can do it. I would advise against it however. If you really feel the need to mount something to your carry handle, one of the scopes, like an ACOG that mounts through the carry handle would be best, IMO.

good point. dont they make scope mounts that will mount just hight enough to have a flip site under it? and if so, what are some good flip sites?

AK_Stick
10-13-2012, 19:07
Larue, Adams Arms, Brobo, Burris, A.R.M.S. and several other places make scope mounts that will mount so that you can also have a flip up sight.

Personally, I would opt for a Larue, mount, because they're tough as nails, and I think Mark is a stand up guy. (Oddly enough, I don't own any Larue mounts)

As for sights, well, really depends. I'm partial to KAC (Knights) or Troy flip ups, but there are more on the market than I can list for you. And most will do a good job. I would advise to avoid Matech, as I think they're garbage (USGI issue)

Cole125
10-13-2012, 19:24
I would suggest swapping the carry handle upper receiver for a flattop upper. Mounting a optic on a carry handle is bad for two reasons, height over bore, and cheek weld.

WoodenPlank
10-13-2012, 22:29
good point. dont they make scope mounts that will mount just hight enough to have a flip site under it? and if so, what are some good flip sites?

If you mount an optic to the carry handle, you won't be getting flip up sights in there, too. Most carry handle rail adapters I have seen left a channel to see the fixed sights through.

That said, I would STRONGLY suggest swapping the fixed carry handle upper out for a flat top one and mounting your optic there.

fnfalman
10-13-2012, 22:43
Don't forget to mount a cheekpiece to the buttstock, otherwise your cheek weld is going to be all messed up.

Hour13
10-13-2012, 23:22
You want to run an optic...

You like the zero on your carry-handle sight...

Sounds like a fantastic time to add another AR to the fold!
:supergrin:

In all seriousness, good advice here already. It's certainly possible, but we already face a 2.5" mechanical offset with the A2 picture. Standing an optic above the rear sight makes finding a "happy middle ground" zero a frustrating ordeal.

That, and it looks kinda retarded...

lawman800
10-14-2012, 00:14
There are models that even extend forward of the carry handle and curves down so you have a rail on top of your handguard too, which looks way more retarded.

http://ultimak.com/products/ARMS-2inst.jpg

lawman800
10-14-2012, 00:15
Here ya go:

http://images2.opticsplanet.com/365-240-ffffff/opplanet-mako-group-z-style-carry-handle-mount-gm-chzm.jpg

WoodenPlank
10-14-2012, 06:26
Here ya go:

http://images2.opticsplanet.com/365-240-ffffff/opplanet-mako-group-z-style-carry-handle-mount-gm-chzm.jpg

There are gooseneck adapters without the extra top or side rails - just the rail above the handguard - that work great when using a red dot cowitnessed with the irons. Before the advent of the flat top upper, they were somewhat common in certain shooting circles.

faawrenchbndr
10-14-2012, 06:34
ARMS has a few quality mounts that will suit your needs

lawman800
10-14-2012, 09:19
There are gooseneck adapters without the extra top or side rails - just the rail above the handguard - that work great when using a red dot cowitnessed with the irons. Before the advent of the flat top upper, they were somewhat common in certain shooting circles.

There are models that even extend forward of the carry handle and curves down so you have a rail on top of your handguard too, which looks way more retarded.

http://ultimak.com/products/ARMS-2inst.jpg

Like this one that I posted right above the gooseneck?:whistling:

ArmoryDoc
10-14-2012, 09:54
Check out the below video and go to 1:34 in the vid. The soldiers have gooseneck mounts with a reflex sight on their carbines. That would be an excellent alternative if you wanted a non-magnified optic.

I opt for changing out your receiver though. Gives you many more options.

Renegade Jewish Settlers Part 2/5 - YouTube

WoodenPlank
10-14-2012, 10:15
Like this one that I posted right above the gooseneck?:whistling:

No. Please read my post again.

"There are gooseneck adapters without the extra top or side rails - just the rail above the handguard - that work great when using a red dot cowitnessed with the irons. "

You can't cowitness a red dot mounted above the irons, but you can mount one on a gooseneck mount above the handguard, which is what I was talking about. The adapters in the video that ArmyDoc posted are the same style I was referring to.

Raleigh Glocker
10-14-2012, 11:33
If you are on a budget and want to add a magnified, "non-combat" optic to your AR, you can get good results with the cheap add-on rails shown above. If you have a fixed stock, you can add a "Delta" cheekpiece that will give you a normal cheek weld.

If you want to do red dot, many reflex sights come with a carry handle gooseneck option that are pretty solid and give you co-witness with your iron sights.

I personally have a carry handle AR for fun and several other rail-top ARs for optics. Yes, that is the best way, but I remember having to do it all with one rifle not that long ago.

K. Foster
10-14-2012, 12:52
I agree with what others have said. Yes, you can do it, but it is far from optimal. Have someone swap out your upper receiver for a flat top or just buy another complete upper.

lawman800
10-14-2012, 16:48
No. Please read my post again.

"There are gooseneck adapters without the extra top or side rails - just the rail above the handguard - that work great when using a red dot cowitnessed with the irons. "

You can't cowitness a red dot mounted above the irons, but you can mount one on a gooseneck mount above the handguard, which is what I was talking about. The adapters in the video that ArmyDoc posted are the same style I was referring to.

Gotcha.