Good thermal shirt material? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Good thermal shirt material?

Kozel
10-13-2012, 23:57
Good thermal shirt material?

I know well enough that cotton = death in cold outdoor clothing.

I wear soft wool shirt next to the body every time I am in prolong cold outdoors conditions. Knitted polyester makes me uncomfortable for some reason. Is there a material from new super duper non moisture absorbing materials that can be worn next to the skin that I am missing?

fnfalman
10-14-2012, 00:09
Cashmere, baby!

Or silk.

Keeps you warm the natural way AND chicks dig it.

IndianaMatt
10-14-2012, 00:17
http://www.rugsdirectblog.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/07/26/sheep.jpg

Trapped_in_Kali
10-14-2012, 00:20
Haven't bought it in a while so I forget the name but check sporting goods sites, they have stuff now fits tight & pulls the moisture away from your body and makes a good 1st layer. It is designed for those who are active in cold temps so if you are still (in a deer stand, riding a motorcycle or snow mobile or...) you will need other layers.

fnfalman
10-14-2012, 00:26
Haven't bought it in a while so I forget the name but check sporting goods sites, they have stuff now fits tight & pulls the moisture away from your body and makes a good 1st layer. It is designed for those who are active in cold temps so if you are still (in a deer stand, riding a motorcycle or snow mobile or...) you will need other layers.

They're polyester based and the man said that he doesn't like polyester.

There is polypropylene thermals that once favored by Uncle Sam as base layer for arctic condition but pretty much nowadays everything is polyester based like Under Armor and the like.

Seriously, silk undies are light, warm and comfortable. Sometimes I have to wonder why do we even need synthetic stuff, especially when it's not cheaper than the natural stuff.

Trapped_in_Kali
10-14-2012, 00:32
They're polyester based and the man said that he doesn't like polyester.

Sorry, missed that.

stevelyn
10-14-2012, 00:36
Polyanything feels clammy to me, although I don't mind polyester based materials as mid-layer fabrics since they do dry quickly. I have grown to like merino wool base-layers over anything I've ever worn. I have a light-weight set from Red Ram and a mid-weight from Terramar. THe merino wool has the quick drying and moisture transport properties of the synthetics without the clamminess.

fnfalman
10-14-2012, 00:39
Merino wool is good stuff. My socks are all made out of merino wool, with varying thicknesses to accomodate hot or cold weathers.

Still, it feels like polyester to the touch and not as sensual as cashmere and silk. If you're gonna wear cold weather undies, might as well wear something that titillates your skin. AND just in case you get close to a chick, it would titillate HER skin.

Dennis in MA
10-14-2012, 08:38
Polyanything feels clammy to me, although I don't mind polyester based materials as mid-layer fabrics since they do dry quickly. I have grown to like merino wool base-layers over anything I've ever worn. I have a light-weight set from Red Ram and a mid-weight from Terramar. THe merino wool has the quick drying and moisture transport properties of the synthetics without the clamminess.

I thought that, too.

Then I had a skin sensitivity problem and couldn't wear cotton t shirts. Had to go Under Armor

That winter, I went to UA Coldgear.

If it doesn't say UA on it, I don't wear it now. The only thing that sucks is if I get it completely soaked. At that level of wetness, I get uncomfortable.

HarlDane
10-14-2012, 11:29
Merino wool is my personal favorite as well as the consensus pick from most of the backpacking community I interact with. It's more comfortable (to me, some get a little itchy) and doesn't get as funky after a few days on the trail. The synthetics are also very good and get the nod from those who want the best bang for the buck and better heat to weight ratio.

Glock&KimberLady
10-14-2012, 12:55
In snowboarding season, I LIVE in thermals.

I wear thin silk under DuoFold.

Then again, I wear multiple pairs of thermals under lined snowboarding gear because I'm perenially cold... sometimes out in effective temps of -20 and there's not one layer of anything on EARTH (except maybe live coals) that will keep my butt warm in that.

fnfalman
10-14-2012, 16:44
If it doesn't say UA on it, I don't wear it now. The only thing that sucks is if I get it completely soaked. At that level of wetness, I get uncomfortable.

At that level of wetness, everybody would be uncomfortable. That's why you bring spares to change out.

ArtificialGrape
10-14-2012, 17:41
Silk.