The Trigger System You Use [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : The Trigger System You Use

D.S.Brown
10-14-2012, 07:27
I'm doing some research regarding heavier stock trigger usage by those of you that compete with a Glock handgun in IDPA SSP and/or USPSA Production.

How many of you use in the latter divisions:

A.) Standard 5.5lb connector with stock trigger spring, i.e. save for possible night sights the gun is completely factory stock, (though you might have Glock night sights as well).

B.) In the Gen 4's a stock trigger spring with the dot connector or 5.5lb connector, and again save for possible night sights the gun is completely factory stock, (though you might have Glock night sights as well).

C.) A minus (-) connector, (or any aftermarket connectors allowed in SSP and/or Production) with a NY1 trigger spring, and again save for possible night sights the gun is completely factory stock, (though you might have Glock night sights as well).

D.) A standard stock connector with a NY1 trigger spring, and again save for possible night sights the gun is completely factory stock, (though you might have Glock night sights as well).

Like I said I'm doing some research in this area, so I appreciate keeping your responses focussed. Thanks.

Best,

Dave

ron59
10-14-2012, 09:12
I shoot USPSA and have 3 buddies who do also. We're all 'B' USPSA shooters but one guy is about to get bumped to A. He's a Master in IDPA and the others are Experts. Said that not to brag, but just to let you know we're not ****ty shooters.

We *all* run the Ghost Rocket connector with the spring kit (replacing all 3 springs). A little polish job in the appropriate areas helps also. This yields a ~3 pound pull with an overtravel stop. Best thing is that it is very affordable, running about $35 per gun or something like that. I personally can't see paying $250 or more for some of these drop in kits when I can get the results I do from the Ghost Rocket.

Having said that, a Glock connector with the same springs and polish is almost the same pull, maybe a half pound to pound heavier but doesn't have the overtravel stop the Rocket does. If you don't feel comfortable modifying the Ghost Rocket (it is not drop in, you have to Dremel the tab to work in your gun) that's an alternative. Or, if you have money to burn, a Zev, Vanek, Carver, etc. But those are all very expensive.

If you don't know how to do the $0.25 trigger job, this is covered very professionally in the Making Glocks Rock DVD available on Midway. TR Graham covers about everything you need to know regarding Glocks, very good $45 value. I bought it just to learn about polishing the trigger parts. He also *stones* the parts first.

One last thing to add about trigger kits. Most use a light striker spring. This can cause light primer strikes DEPENDING on the primer used (if you're also using the stock striker which we all do). With CCI primers, I was getting ~7 per 100 light strikes, the round would not go off even with repeated attempts. With Federal primers I *never* have had a light strike, and I've shot something like 30,000+ of those alone in the last 3+ years. Some have said they don't have issues with the spring and CCI, but too many have said they do that I wouldn't trust them.

If you're not a reloader, this can affect you. We all reload, so can choose our primers. If you're buying off the shelf... not sure your results.

waktasz
10-14-2012, 10:11
Why do you want to go heavier?

D.S.Brown
10-14-2012, 10:49
Ron59,

Thanks for your response. I found much of what you said to be very informative.

waktasz

I'm actually just doing some impromptu research to find out if there are GT'ers that compete with heavier trigger systems because maybe they use a carry gun so equipped either through personal choice, and/or are mandated to do so, i.e. police officers. They also maybe non LE that want to keep their guns stock, and perhaps are uncomfortable having their carry gun equipped with only a (-) connector, but still want to compete in the aforementioned disciplines.

Best,

Dave

waktasz
10-14-2012, 10:52
I don't think you will find many. I carry a Glock 22 with a - connector and compete with triggers lighter than that.

If I have to make a shot I want the gun to be easier to shoot, not harder. The NY1 trigger system is an invention of lawyers and politicians, I have no interest in limiting my choices because of something someone in an office thought up.

D.S.Brown
10-14-2012, 11:09
waktasz,

You are probably very correct about not finding too many that do.

Just to be clear I'm not making any judgements about anyone who uses a (-) connector for both competition and carry. I'm just interested to see if any members do use a heavier set up, and perhaps how successful they've been with doing so.

I guess I may be trying to address a sub segment that use these disciplines as a form of "practice" for using their carry gun, not so much to simulate actual combat, but for the use of placing themselves under a form of pressure and stress, and that furthermore do so with a stock heavier set up.

Again I appreciate the responses.

Best,

Dave

waktasz
10-14-2012, 11:19
I think I want to partially retract my statement, you will probably find a decent amount of people running totally stock.

The only people I've met that run a NY1 trigger in competition were two NYPD officers at a GSSF match. They were not very good, but it was good to see them out and trying to improve, especially considering that the NYPD shot like 9 innocent people recently.

sciolist
10-14-2012, 19:50
My main competition focus is USPSA. I shoot a 34 in Production, A Class. It has a Vanek trigger and #4 striker spring. We recently ran into some bumps in the Federal primer supply, and had to substitute Winchesters. So I experimented with a #4.5 striker spring, which is necessary to reliably ignite Winchesters with an OE striker. For a match pistol, I really prefer the #4 striker spring, so guess I'm in the light trigger camp.

I donít have a ton of experience. Started shooting USPSA matches in late 2010, and joined the club last year. I have run into a few Production GMís who use OEM Glock triggers. Donít think Iíve run into anyone with substantial skill who uses a Glock trigger heavier than OEM. There are a good number of shooters using medium-weight Glock triggers.

We have BUG/carry gun matches at our local club every so often, and I use a stock trigger (or stock with minus connector) for those. I can shoot OK like that, but it does slow things down. Itís a good exercise, for sure.

For slow fire, or simple static drills, the heavier trigger is actually kind of nice. It returns much more aggressively. But when thereís lots of dynamic movement, awkward positions, strong/weak hand, etc. I am more comfortable with the lighter trigger. Maybe itís just habit.

On the primer ignition issue, Iím 100% so far with a Jager and #4 spring, but only about 2K rounds into it. As I think most people would tell you, Iíve never had a light strike with the #4 spring and Federals.

In terms of hardware, I really donít think thereís that much difference between a complete aftermarket trigger, and a well-worn OE trigger with a light striker spring. Iíve also found that not using the lightest possible striker safety spring gives a bit more trigger return without significantly compromising pull weight.

MoNsTeR
10-14-2012, 23:30
I started shooting USPSA in 2003 with a 100% stock G19. I still have that G19, and it's still stock except for a grip plug. It sits by the bedside now, or in a holster, but doesn't get taken to matches. I also shot a stock G34 (with minus connector) for a while. I took a break from USPSA for a couple of years and when I came back I put a Vanek trigger in that G34 and never looked back. It's probably the single most effective upgrade you can put in a Glock.

You can certainly be competitive with the stock trigger if you really, really want to. And you can mess around with swapping parts and springs and polishing this and that. But what I tell everyone is to stop screwing around and get a Vanek trigger.