Just went BBerry > Droid Samsung Galaxy S3: Tips? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Just went BBerry > Droid Samsung Galaxy S3: Tips?

G29Reload
10-14-2012, 09:43
I pulled the plug on my Blackberry...sniff... :crying:

I know I'll miss it for what it did well, and my familiarity with it.

But I am excited about the big screen, the 4G and the cool stuff.

Samsung Galaxy SIII, Ice cream sandwich.

Already given up on trying to pull 400+ contacts out of the BB, will have to go to Verizon to see if they can swap the address book.

A little overwhelmed with all the stuff I have to learn.

What's on the recommended list?

yellolab
10-14-2012, 09:49
I pulled the plug on my Blackberry...sniff... :crying:

I know I'll miss it for what it did well, and my familiarity with it.

But I am excited about the big screen, the 4G and the cool stuff.

Samsung Galaxy SIII, Ice cream sandwich.

Already given up on trying to pull 400+ contacts out of the BB, will have to go to Verizon to see if they can swap the address book.

A little overwhelmed with all the stuff I have to learn.

What's on the recommended list?

Just went from BB tp iphone5, had had verizon transfer contacts over for me no problem.
Pics are in the SIM card in BB, so I transferred those myself.

Kevin

zoyter2
10-14-2012, 10:49
Just went from BB tp iphone5, had had verizon transfer contacts over for me no problem.
Pics are in the SIM card in BB, so I transferred those myself.

Kevin

Just bought new 'Droid. When I turned it on, IT transferred contacts over for me....and calendar....and gmail....and all my programs... :cool:

USMCsilver
10-14-2012, 10:59
Just bought new 'Droid. When I turned it on, IT transferred contacts over for me....and calendar....and gmail....and all my programs... :cool:

That's because it's a "Google" device and it syncs everything kept by Google.

I don't think it's that easy when going from different platforms.

You can turn on Bluetooth and export the data that way.

Or, plug the BB into a PC, export the contacts to Gmail, and then they will sync with your new SIII (in theory).

Resqu2
10-14-2012, 11:34
I'm an Apple guy but I really loved my BB bold, can't wait to see what the new one looks like in 2013. I'd say Verizon may can help but I watched a tech work on a similar problem and couldn't do it. Handed it back to the gal and said get to typing lol

G29Reload
10-14-2012, 11:40
I just downloaded a working copy of the RIM desktop manager on my Mac, syncd contacts to address book and then shift clicked them all and dragged to Numbers. Saved as .CSV.

So, that should pretty much do it when I sit down later to stat learning the thing, that pretty much solved that problem.

The real tips I'm looking for are Droid tips, generally.

Cool apps…productivity stuff, etc.

Adjuster
10-14-2012, 12:02
I just purchased an Iclone 4gs with Android 4.0. I will let you know how it goes when it arrives from China.

/

Adjuster
10-14-2012, 12:02
By the way this will be my first smart phone so should be fun.

/

Adjuster
10-14-2012, 12:04
http://www.everbuying.com/product187899.html

G29Reload
10-14-2012, 12:44
That's almost an infringement suit right there!

I can see apple's attorneys going for it.

so, any S3 owners out there do some impressive stuff with theirs?

The Maggy
10-14-2012, 13:21
I'm new on the S3 as well. I've had it for three or so weeks now and I am still learning it.

Apps that i have and really enjoy:

RadarNow!- instant access to NWS radar feed and weather advisories based on the county you are in.

Pandora Radio- great for the long bike rides

for time killers
DRisk
Plague Inc.

beyond that, I'm still figuring it all out... and I had to transfer my contacts by hand

zoyter2
10-14-2012, 13:24
That's because it's a "Google" device and it syncs everything kept by Google.

I don't think it's that easy when going from different platforms.

You can turn on Bluetooth and export the data that way.

Or, plug the BB into a PC, export the contacts to Gmail, and then they will sync with your new SIII (in theory).

Yup...that was the point!

droidfire
10-14-2012, 16:06
If you get the mhl cable and an hdmi cable you have mirrored display to tv (movies, games, etc...)

Root it for the sixaxis app, add a ps3 controller, and you have a portable playstation video game console.

Add the usb OTG cable, and you can read flash drives and such on the go.

Samsung settings on the device are convoluted even by android standards, but you'll get through it sooner or later.

Grab google earth.

Get yourself an app called "nfc task launcher" and then get some nfc tags from amazon. Also pick up an app called "tasker" when you outgrow what nfc task launcher can do on it's own.

Before you go syncing all of your contacts to the device - make a few gmail accounts and add them to the device. One for work, one personal, etc...

As you add the contacts, pick and choose which account they get added to. In the future syncing through google will be a snap because all your work contacts belong to the work gmail and so on.

Go buy a 64 gig microsd card.

...that should be a good start?

sputnik767
10-14-2012, 16:21
That's almost an infringement suit right there!

I can see apple's attorneys going for it.

so, any S3 owners out there do some impressive stuff with theirs?

Connectivity Demo
Samsung Galaxy S3: Connectivity demo - USB OTG, MHL, bluetooth keyboards/mice, games controllers - YouTube

Otherwise, the things I like about are:

If I am looking at a contact or text message and want to call that person, all I have to do is bring the phone to my ear

If I am looking at the phone, the phone detects me and does not shut off the screen.

If I am watching a video, I can leave to another app or desktop, and the video will be overlayed as picture-in-picture and keep playing.

Taking a screenshot is as simple as swiping you palm from one side of the screen to the other.

I can pay for things at a store with my phone using the NFC chip.

I can program NFC tags to perform various tasks just by tapping the phone to the tag

I can snooze or shut off the alarm just by saying "snooze" or "stop"

If you want to install one of the official Jellybean leaks, you can have Google Now.

Probably many other things that I am not thinking about right now.

G29Reload
10-15-2012, 08:22
All great tips thanks!

I do need to get tasker

Can anyone recommend a decent popup blocker?

Drain You
10-15-2012, 08:33
Confusing great than signs in the headline, still not sure if math is involved.

sputnik767
10-15-2012, 11:28
All great tips thanks!

I do need to get tasker

The only way to block ads is to root the phone and install adfree or adaway from the market. These will modify your hosts file to block known ad servers, and the app will constantly update the hosts file as new servers are identified. This will block all ads, including most of the banner ads you see in the browser. The Galaxy S 3 is very easy to root.

droidfire
10-15-2012, 15:56
All great tips thanks!

I do need to get tasker

No, tasker is optional. Especially with everything else you are trying to soak in right now about the device, it's one more complication.

But when you do outgrow what you can do with nfc tags, or find the need to pre-program actions on the device otherwise, tasker is the way to go.

SpoiledBySig
10-15-2012, 16:02
Still have my Blackberry Curve 8310...just can't bring myself to switch to a Droid or an iPhone....yet.

I know...I'm out of touch with the times!