Plated Bullets.. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Plated Bullets..

APERS
10-14-2012, 09:54
Anyone have any positive or negative feedback on reloading
124gr Berrys or Ranier plated bullets? Pistol is G19 with factory bbl. Am just wondering if theyre are any issues with accuracy with these two bullets. Also want to know before I order a bunch of 'em. They need to be fast enough to make IDPA power factor, w/o being wild accuracy wise. Any advice/input would be greatly appreciated, Thank you!

HAMMERHEAD
10-14-2012, 10:56
I've used Berry's 124 HBFP and HBRN with good success in a G-19. I've had them up to 1,055 fps using SR 7625 without issue. Accuracy was good in my G-19.

glock_19guy1983
10-14-2012, 11:08
They are fine for IDPA. Use reloading data for lead bullets with them. I like 4.4gr of Universal clays with a 1.14OAL. It makes for a nice soft shooting IDPA load in my Kimber.

Larryect
10-14-2012, 11:11
I have used sveral brands of plated bullets for casual shooting, loaded with W231. They seen fine to me. They are farily soft. I prefer xtreme bullets. Their plating seems heavier

http://www.xtremebullets.com/

HAMMERHEAD
10-14-2012, 11:19
FWIW, I've found they shoot much closer to the speeds predicted in jacketed data than they do to lead data.

F106 Fan
10-14-2012, 11:34
Why use plated bullets? They aren't that much cheaper than jacketed from Precision Delta and you don't have to be so careful with the taper crimp when using jacketed. You shouldn't overcrimp, of course, but at least the crimp won't be pushing through a thin plating and, upon firing, leaving a copper ring in your chamber (or barrel!).

Not that it matters for IDPA, but you can push a jacketed bullet a lot harder.

There is very little published data for plated bullets. The plated bullet manufacturers can't be bothered to test their product. So you load "somewhere between mid-range lead and mid-range jacketed" and "less than 1200 fps".

I bought a few hundred Berry's 9mm bullets just to test. They shot very well but I have since migrated to Precision Delta. There's isn't enough of a savings to be bothered with babying the plated bullets.

Richard

SARDG
10-14-2012, 17:08
OP - Are you considering plated AND 124gr for a money savings? I ask, because a lot of IDPA, USPSA, and GSSF shooters are using 147s, and lately leaning toward jacketed - though at the last GSSF I saw some very beatiful plated bullets. :)

With a bit faster powder and a 147gr you can easily make PF with ~880-900fps and have a very accurate soft shooter. I made up my 147 load for accuracy out to 35yds, but can pllnk away at bleach bottle-size targets at 75yds all day long.

shotgunred
10-14-2012, 20:10
I used to use rainier 's by the 10s of k's. They are somewhat local and used to give my club a good discount.

Now their discount price is more expensive than PD list price.

Kentguy
10-15-2012, 06:48
APERS,

I have tested a 9mm load using 124g using "Berry's" PRN bullets over top W231 and tested using both my G17 & G19 on this load. I do like this bullet/powder combo, they shot very well (good accuracy) from both a gun rest and standing free hand positions out to 25 yards. Good target round. I have since switched to using 124g FMJ from Precision Delta for all my target loads.

The only other place where I still currently use plated bullets is in a 38 special load - I use "Rainier" PRN bullets. Here I have tested this bullet over top of; W231, Bullseye, H.Universal and again this is a great target round.

I have never found them hard to work with or had to go through any special procedures in loading or testing them. Find your powder, start low and work your way up... you know the drill.

I hope this helps.

fredj338
10-15-2012, 13:53
The only issue w/ plated is price & they are a bit more finicky to reload. Get the crimp wrong & accuracy goes to hell. You can easily run Berry's or Ranier to 1200fps w/ exc accuracy.

unclebob
10-15-2012, 17:10
One of the reasons why some people like to use plated bullets is when we shoot at steel targets. The only real big problem is just donít over crimp. You just want a very faint line on the bullet were the mouth of the case was or no line at all.

F106 Fan
10-15-2012, 17:35
One of the reasons why some people like to use plated bullets is when we shoot at steel targets.

I'm not a fan of jacketed bullets on steel either. So, I use lead. In fact, the only jacketed pistol bullets I make are for my grandson and that is only because of an edict from the powers that be stating that he will not shoot lead bullets.

But I can see where plated bullets have an application for indoor shooting and steel.

Richard

SARDG
10-15-2012, 18:35
One of the reasons why some people like to use plated bullets is when we shoot at steel targets...
You have to actually HIT the steel before it's a problem, Bob. :rofl:

unclebob
10-16-2012, 07:29
You have to actually HIT the steel before it's a problem, Bob. :rofl:

Yes I have been known to miss a few.:crying: Sometimes more than a few.:shocked: It all depends if Jerk decides to follow me to the match.:steamed: Way to many Elmer Keith days.:faint:

scccdoc
10-16-2012, 07:51
Why use plated bullets? They aren't that much cheaper than jacketed from Precision Delta and you don't have to be so careful with the taper crimp when using jacketed. You shouldn't overcrimp, of course, but at least the crimp won't be pushing through a thin plating and, upon firing, leaving a copper ring in your chamber (or barrel!).

Not that it matters for IDPA, but you can push a jacketed bullet a lot harder.

There is very little published data for plated bullets. The plated bullet manufacturers can't be bothered to test their product. So you load "somewhere between mid-range lead and mid-range jacketed" and "less than 1200 fps".

I bought a few hundred Berry's 9mm bullets just to test. They shot very well but I have since migrated to Precision Delta. There's isn't enough of a savings to be bothered with babying the plated bullets.

Richard

Me too. But the PD FMJ's aren't as "pretty" as the Berry's! :cool:

M24C
10-16-2012, 07:57
I have not had really any problems with Rainier Bullets. Don't crimp them hard and all of these style of bullets say don't go over 1200 fps. Keep them below 1200 fps they shoot fine.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

SARDG
10-16-2012, 08:00
Yes I have been known to miss a few.:crying: Sometimes more than a few.:shocked: It all depends if Jerk decides to follow me to the match.:steamed: Way to many Elmer Keith days.:faint:
I figured you'd bring up MY performance at the last GSSF. I plan to redeem myself this coming weekend in Mobile and actually hit the steel myself. See you there I suppose?

Had to look up Elmer Keith, his exploits being a little before my time. Who knew? :embarassed:

SARDG
10-16-2012, 08:07
Me too. But the PD FMJ's aren't as "pretty" as the Berry's! :cool:
Very true. But when I get my orders of 3000 Montana Gold jacketed bullets and run my fingers through them, I feel like Midas. :)

unclebob
10-16-2012, 08:18
I figured you'd bring up MY performance at the last GSSF. I plan to redeem myself this coming weekend in Mobile and actually hit the steel myself. See you there I suppose?

Had to look up Elmer Keith, his exploits being a little before my time. Who knew? :embarassed:

It was on the back of my mind. But being the outstanding gentleman that I am.:whistling:Did not what to add salt to the wounds. Yep, will be there along with Dan, Don, Pete, Jim The group I travel with and James. Shoot and ROing Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

ChrisJn
10-16-2012, 09:14
unclebob and SARDG, say hello on Saturday. Look out for the 'Retired Met Police' cap

unclebob
10-16-2012, 09:25
unclebob and SARDG, say hello on Saturday. Look out for the 'Retired Met Police' cap

With both of us ROing you will probably have to run us down. I will be wearing a RO shirt with a green Team Glock hat with unclebob on the back of the hat. Plus Iím big fat and ugly. Look forward in meeting you.

SARDG
10-16-2012, 09:45
Black hat?

Yep, I'll be ROing an 'M' I hope. No hat, tall and svelte with brown hair and a ponytail... :whistling: :tongueout:

Also, probably a blue gun in my holster which apparently drives people nuts!

Kitty

ChrisJn
10-16-2012, 11:25
Black hat?

Yep, I'll be ROing an 'M' I hope. No hat, tall and svelte with brown hair and a ponytail... :whistling: :tongueout:

Also, probably a blue gun in my holster which apparently drives people nuts!

Kitty

Baseball style cap, chequered blue/white band, tall, dark(grey) and handsome! Look forward to meeting you and uncle bob.

fredj338
10-16-2012, 13:20
Very true. But when I get my orders of 3000 Montana Gold jacketed bullets and run my fingers through them, I feel like Midas. :)
HA! OR William Devan in the gold commercials. "I love the feel of gold".
Hey Sardg, do you shoot IDPA?

SARDG
10-16-2012, 16:44
HA! OR William Devan in the gold commercials. "I love the feel of gold".
Hey Sardg, do you shoot IDPA?
Not well, but yes - and I'm an SO. :cool:

fredj338
10-16-2012, 18:01
Not well, but yes - and I'm an SO. :cool:

You coming up to GA for the state match next week? I'll be out there shooting & SO the Tenn match then back to GA for their match.:wavey:

APERS
10-16-2012, 19:17
OP - Are you considering plated AND 124gr for a money savings? I ask, because a lot of IDPA, USPSA, and GSSF shooters are using 147s, and lately leaning toward jacketed - though at the last GSSF I saw some very beatiful plated bullets. :)

With a bit faster powder and a 147gr you can easily make PF with ~880-900fps and have a very accurate soft shooter. I made up my 147 load for accuracy out to 35yds, but can pllnk away at bleach bottle-size targets at 75yds all day long.
Right on, that is the main reason. My ammo budget is shared with our fuel budget, @ $3.75 a gallon/driving 70 miles to/from work. And 124 & 127 gr bullets are what I carry for defense, just want keep the ballistics as close as possible between practice ammo and carry ammo. Will look into 147's though, they have no trouble knocking down plates. Have seen many(!) 115gr 9mm bullets fail to knock plates down over the years shooting IDPA. Thanks for the input everyone!

SARDG
10-16-2012, 21:40
You coming up to GA for the state match next week? I'll be out there shooting & SO the Tenn match then back to GA for their match.:wavey:
I wanted to go, but after a 1 1/2 year wait, my club is offering Student and Instructor NRA PPITH that weekend. Since they pay for my classes, I thought I'd take that and become qualified. Already an NRA Pistol Inst.

Don't know if you've been to SRGC for a while but they finished up some (8) new action bays and they're great. That club is getting nicer and nicer.

Our club's MD and Asst. MD will be there. Next year, I'm going! :crying:

Kitty

fredj338
10-16-2012, 22:27
I wanted to go, but after a 1 1/2 year wait, my club is offering Student and Instructor NRA PPITH that weekend. Since they pay for my classes, I thought I'd take that and become qualified. Already an NRA Pistol Inst.

Don't know if you've been to SRGC for a while but they finished up some (8) new action bays and they're great. That club is getting nicer and nicer.

Our club's MD and Asst. MD will be there. Next year, I'm going! :crying:

Kitty

I shot the state match last year & the bays were under construction. It's a really nice range setup. Thought I would say hello if you were going, always like to put a face to a name. I know a coupel guys from the panhandle going to one or both matches. Maybe next year.:wavey: