well that was a waste of 160$. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : well that was a waste of 160$.

BEER
10-14-2012, 12:32
me and Girl adopted one of the feral kittens out of the barn awhile back to have an indoor cat for pest control and dog annoyance. we bottle fed it, got all it's shots, oil changed, tires rotated, and whatever else it is that vets do to animals. "lump" is now a fat and healthy hallway speedbump.

earlier today Girl comes in with a giant bag from petsmart and tells me i need to go unload the truck. i go out and there's one of those giant carpet covered cat condo things, so i take it inside and set it up. from the look of the living room floor it looks like she bought 2 of every cat toy petsmart offers.

fast forward to now.

the cat gave a brief cursory sniff of it all including the cat condo and is now curled up in an empty 30p beer box with the ring off a milk jug and is adamantly ignoring all the new fangled crap. this is the way it's gone with every cat i've ever met. give a cat an empty box or a paper bag and they're good. i honestly don't understand why pet stores even have cat toy sections.

DreamWeaver88
10-14-2012, 12:42
I hear ya.

I would like to get my cats one of those big condo/climbing platform things that they have at Petco eventually.

Maybe your cats will like the condo if you rub some catnip on it.

MAC702
10-14-2012, 12:44
.... i honestly don't understand why pet stores even have cat toy sections.

Because they know we have girlfriends.

noway
10-14-2012, 12:44
Same here, when I got my 1st cat, anything from petsmart was ignore. I found the best condo and scratch pad where packing materials and boxes.

The same with cat toys. Packing peanuts and a few aluminum balled up in a ball, where the best toys for a cat.

BEER
10-14-2012, 13:03
Maybe your cats will like the condo if you rub some catnip on it.

Lump spends about 30 minutes a day completely spazzing out at mach 3 all over the house, the other 23.5 hours are spent finding new and exciting ways to do less than nothing. the worthless animal literally lays down at the bowl to eat or drink. lol

i'm not sure cat pot is a good idea, she might just go into a stoner coma. lol

TK-421
10-14-2012, 13:10
My cats love the cardboard scratchers, which is basically a bunch of cardboard pieces laid on their side and glued together, so that they can scratch at the corrugations. My step-mom has cats that just love to hang out in this green multi-tiered cat bed tree thing that they have by a window. It's just like four round cat beds attached to a thick central post, and they'll lounge in that a lot of the day. It really depends on what kind of cat you have and how you raised them. If you get a very young kitten and try to get it acclimated to all the toys and cat posts and all that, and then let it breed and let it get it's kittens acclimated to all that stuff too, then I'm sure the kittens will just have a ball with all the new toys, but that takes a lot of time and a fair bit of money. But if you just take a random cat who isn't used to it, and throw all this new stuff at it, then it will more than likely ignore it.

treeline
10-14-2012, 13:16
i'm not sure cat pot is a good idea, she might just go into a stoner coma. lol

It's more like cat crystal meth. One of mine loves the stuff and ends up drooling, staggering and trying to fight the wall.

Harper
10-14-2012, 13:21
i honestly don't understand why pet stores even have cat toy sections.

I honestly don't understand why people have cats as pets.

jpa
10-14-2012, 13:35
It's more like cat crystal meth. One of mine loves the stuff and ends up drooling, staggering and trying to fight the wall.

The cat or the girlfriend? :rofl:

I agree that if you just put the cat in a room with a bunch of new toys, the cat has no idea what they are or how to use them. You need to introduce the cat to the toys. Try playing with it or putting it on top of the cat condo and making it climb or something. Just like my dog when I got her a dog bed, I had to get her to lay down on it for the first time, then she's been laying on it ever since.

slhfarm
10-14-2012, 13:56
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r229/okfarm/officecat_zpscce8206d.jpg

BAILIFF
10-14-2012, 13:59
I honestly don't understand why cats have people as pets.

I FTFY. :wavey:

TK-421
10-14-2012, 14:05
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r229/okfarm/officecat_zpscce8206d.jpg

Cat vs Printer - The Translation - YouTube

HarleyGuy
10-14-2012, 15:07
We have 2 red tabby persians (12 years old).

We have a "cat tree" in the family room and one in the basement.
Seems the only use them mostly to hang around on either when we're in the room or when we have company.

Toys?

Cardboard boxes (any size) are their favorite, followed by a piece of string.

One has a favorite "baby" (a wool lamb) that she will actually go pull out of the (overflowing basket) toybox time and time again.

They're sisters but totally different personalities.
Either would be totally happy being the only cat.

One loves to be groomed, the other hates it....really hates it.

However, they do share one bad habit...
They live for their TREATS at the end of the day, and yes, they do know what that word means just as they do "din-din".

We've never called them "kitty" and they know their own name.

syntaxerrorsix
10-14-2012, 15:11

Because they are far cooler than you and I can leave for a week at a time and they have the ability to supervise themselves :tongueout:

turretg
10-14-2012, 15:12

Amusing lovable's in my case. :wavey:

Bren
10-14-2012, 15:14
My cat also prefers empty boxes and walmart bags to any bought toy.

He was a feral cat found under my porch. I'd have a lot more money today if I ahd taken him straight to the shelter. Instead, we waited until we had fed him for a while and he got into the fan of a car and broke his leg multiple times, then we paid to have him put back together by that same team of scientists that were in the weekly intro scene of The Six Million Dollar Man. Now he's an indoor cat and won't go outside for anything.

syntaxerrorsix
10-14-2012, 15:17
My "cat condo" is is out on the back porch. It took the two mouse eaters about three weeks to warm up to it. One now calls it home and the other could care less.

Milk jug rings and cardboard boxes are known cat traps. Only the sunbeam of death is more alluring.

http://dailypicksandflicks.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/the-cat-traps-are-working.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/alrian/cats/Picture008cropped.jpg

Glock&KimberLady
10-14-2012, 15:20
Best cat toys ever...

Stick with feather on the end
Ring from a milk jug
One of those little cage balls with a bell in it
Piece of string

Best cat bed ever? A cardboard box. It doesn't shout I LOVE MY CAT ENOUGH TO SPEND A BAGILLION DOLLARS ON IT, but your cat doesn't care. Just like Honey Badger.

UtahIrishman
10-14-2012, 15:43
We have a cat tree and our cats love it. We attached a couple cat toys on string to it and they bat those around it constantly.

Might try rubbing some catnip on new toys...we have some small little mice that we've done that to and the cats go crazy over them.

JLB768
10-14-2012, 15:53
Our cats seem to be like everyone else' here...empty cardboard box is the preferred toy, followed by the empty walmart bag. The $100+ carpet tower...a place for the cats to eat, where the doberman can't reach their food, then it's back down to the empty box.

RenoF250
10-14-2012, 16:07
WE have some new cats but have learned out lessons on the toys. They have some pipe cleaners they play with constantly. A little springy and they slide good on the tile.

BamaTrooper
10-14-2012, 16:09
... i honestly don't understand why pet stores even have cat toy sections.

Because cats don't spend money?:tongueout:

Steel Head
10-14-2012, 16:19
Because they know we have girlfriends.

The force is strong here:wavey:

Give the lil furball something safe to scratch on and some good grub and it WILL be happy.

Detectorist
10-14-2012, 16:23
My cat also prefers empty boxes and walmart bags to any bought toy.

He was a feral cat found under my porch. I'd have a lot more money today if I ahd taken him straight to the shelter. Instead, we waited until we had fed him for a while and he got into the fan of a car and broke his leg multiple times, then we paid to have him put back together by that same team of scientists that were in the weekly intro scene of The Six Million Dollar Man. Now he's an indoor cat and won't go outside for anything.

You didn't seem like a cat person to me.. :dunno:

syntaxerrorsix
10-14-2012, 16:27
You didn't seem like a cat person to me.. :dunno:

Agreed.

Respect added :wavey:

Glock13
10-14-2012, 16:42
There is a good chance your cat will slowly take to it and begin to like it. Our cat took a few moths. Now he loves it. Try putting it by a window. That sometimes helps.

fnfalman
10-14-2012, 16:52
Our family matriach; blessed her ninth live, passed away a couple of years back when she turned 20. She was skin & bone for the last three years of her live yet still spritely. I bought her an electrically heated rug and she loved it until the day she passed away while laying on the rug.

syntaxerrorsix
10-14-2012, 16:57
Our family matriach; blessed her ninth live, passed away a couple of years back when she turned 20. She was skin & bone for the last three years of her live yet still spritely. I bought her an electrically heated rug and she loved it until the day she passed away while laying on the rug.

Good kitty.

NeverMore1701
10-14-2012, 17:00
Our cats absolutely love their cat tree/condo/scratching post/perch. Sure, it was expensive, but they sleep on it, play on it, and tear the living **** out of it, saving the furniture.

treeline
10-14-2012, 17:11
There is a good chance your cat will slowly take to it and begin to like it. Our cat took a few moths. Now he loves it. Try putting it by a window. That sometimes helps.

If that doesn't work, let a different cat enjoy the cat condo. Your cat will take one look at that and decide it loves the condo and needs exlusive access. :supergrin:

F14Scott
10-14-2012, 17:29
Return the condo and buy an expensive couch. The cat will tear that thing up in two hours.

mfm9
10-14-2012, 17:36
You're doing it wrong. You need to set up the cat toy, and scold your cat if it comes near it. It will suddenly become irresistible to the cat.

-Mike

Hamilton Burger
10-14-2012, 17:37
http://i48.tinypic.com/t6xph3.jpg

Detectorist
10-14-2012, 17:46
A few years ago, while working for a furniture repair shop, we got an order for a new couch that specified one pouch on each side just below the arm rest. Yep, for the cats. :dunno:

Teufelhunde
10-14-2012, 18:26

Reminds me of our Angel cat that we lost a couple years ago.......damned monitor is getting blurry.........

RonS
10-14-2012, 18:52
Best cat toy in the world, a cement porch and a smooth rock from a stream bed. Hours of pouncing, leaping and chasing. I admit, the little balls with bells in them will entertain them for hours too. Sometimes I will be laying in bed upstairs with the window open and hear, ching, ching coming from the front porch.

Hamilton Burger
10-14-2012, 18:59
IMO the best cat toy is a laser pointer.

frizz
10-14-2012, 19:08
Same here, when I got my 1st cat, anything from petsmart was ignore. I found the best condo and scratch pad where packing materials and boxes.

The same with cat toys. Packing peanuts and a few aluminum balled up in a ball, where the best toys for a cat.
I quit doing aluminum foil balls because they can cause intestinal problems is they swallow the bits.

Ever use the plastic lids from Pounce treat cans? Get one and you have a "kitty Frisbee" and endless hours of fun. You will find them from time to time with chew marks around the rim.

Drain You
10-14-2012, 19:14
I don't know, I saw one toy a cat played with a lot. It was a collapsible tube that was open on each end, one end had a bell hanging on a string the cat was suppose to slap at.

He just rolled around in it like it was his automobile.

tous
10-14-2012, 19:21
Like Beer, I had a cat, a fat, fluffy tuxedo, that was so lazy he would lay by the food bowl, reach up and pull food on the floor to eat it. That cat also loved sleeping in the bathroom sink and delighted in paper grocery bags.

I miss ya, Fred. :angel:

frizz
10-14-2012, 20:19
Like Beer, I had a cat, a fat, fluffy tuxedo, that was so lazy he would lay by the food bowl, reach up and pull food on the floor to eat it. That cat also loved sleeping in the bathroom sink and delighted in paper grocery bags.

I miss ya, Fred. :angel:

Sigh.

One of mine was a tuxedo short hair (very short hair) with a bluish-grey pigmented area. Coolest color I've ever seen.

who was fat, but not really lazy. He played with the other cats, and chased toys... And when he was just chillaxin' he would sit on the edge of the bed or sofa and hang one front leg over the edge.

His thing was boxes for 12oz coke cans. Up until he was about 2, he "nursed" on one of the dogs. :breastfed:

South Fla
10-14-2012, 21:18
They do love their boxes.

Goldendog Redux
10-14-2012, 21:25
I suppose my cats like me. My wife tells me they sleep with me every night. Since I am asleep I am never aware. I think I am just in their spot which they normally share with the dogs.

Being a cat would be pretty sweet. I would be an insanely fat cat of leisure.

MF

Hummer
10-15-2012, 00:20
....earlier today Girl comes in with a giant bag from petsmart and tells me i need to go unload the truck. i go out and there's one of those giant carpet covered cat condo things, so i take it inside and set it up. from the look of the living room floor it looks like she bought 2 of every cat toy petsmart offers.

fast forward to now.

the cat gave a brief cursory sniff of it all including the cat condo and is now curled up in an empty 30p beer box with the ring off a milk jug and is adamantly ignoring all the new fangled crap. this is the way it's gone with every cat i've ever met. give a cat an empty box or a paper bag and they're good. i honestly don't understand why pet stores even have cat toy sections.

Truth is, many cat toys and cat climbing trees are made of poor design and inferior materials. You have to try different things but also be a discriminating buyer. We've bought many cat toys that the cats have never shown interest in. Other simpler ones are worn out from regular use.

There are a lot of poorly made cat trees out there. We watched the local PetSmart for several years and every cat perch/tree they carried was cheap, overpriced crap. I finally found a good one last year. Most don't have enough padding to be comfortable so you have to add it. We had an older one which was a favorite but worn out. I re-carpeted it with good quality carpet which should last another 10 years. The cats use both of them several hours every day. One is used for sleeping during mid day in the cat sun room, the other is used for climbing, chasing and acrobatic play.

Realistically, you can't toss cat toys and climbing trees into a room and expect a cat to automatically perform like a circus mouse. You have to interact, to teach a cat how to use them and to play with them regularly. Of course, it really helps to have two cats so they can play cat games with one another.

Indoor cats love to explore new toys like boxes, paper sacks and tunnels. Changing the scene keeps it from getting boring.

Cats (and cat owners) are happiest when they play together using toys that challenge and build the cat's skills, and keep them regularly active. Probably the best cat toy is a wand with a string and feather that they can stalk, run and jump.

Our kittens have become amazingly athletic doing high jumps and playing fetch as a result of daily interaction.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g292/COHummer/Animals/Leap-of-faith.jpg
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g292/COHummer/Animals/Reaching-high.jpg
Sacked out:
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g292/COHummer/Animals/Cat-Sun-Room.jpg

Lowjiber
10-15-2012, 04:24
Because they are far cooler than you and I can leave for a week at a time and they have the ability to supervise themselves :tongueout:
I left mine alone for a week. When I returned, one had gotten herself elected President of the Homeowner's Association, and the other had contracted to have the gutters replaced.