10mm questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 10mm questions

attrapereves
10-14-2012, 12:45
I own a Glock 20 and a 29. I've got about 2000 rounds through the 29 and about half of that through the 20. I've been working on my accuracy with the 29, since that's what I carry.

The only problem is that I just don't seem to shoot well with it. I never get an actual "group". At 15 feet, I can shoot a 2 inch group with my 17 and 19, but with the 29, the group is about the size of a paper plate.

To top it off, after two or three mags of warm loads (1150fps/180gr), my hand really starts to hurt. My palm gets all red, and my finger becomes red from trigger slap. With hot loads, I have the same problem, but it happens much quicker.

Because of this, I'm really doubting that I should carry this gun for self defense. Has anyone else had similar experiences with the G29?

The G20 is much more enjoyable to shoot, but too big to CC comfortably.

Since I only shoot at the range and carry for self-defense, and I don't seem to shoot the caliber well, I'm thinking about dropping 10mm. I'm still not sure yet...

uz2bUSMC
10-14-2012, 12:52
I own a Glock 20 and a 29. I've got about 2000 rounds through the 29 and about half of that through the 20. I've been working on my accuracy with the 29, since that's what I carry.

The only problem is that I just don't seem to shoot well with it. I never get an actual "group". At 15 feet, I can shoot a 2 inch group with my 17 and 19, but with the 29, the group is about the size of a paper plate.

To top it off, after two or three mags of warm loads (1150fps/180gr), my hand really starts to hurt. My palm gets all red, and my finger becomes red from trigger slap. With hot loads, I have the same problem, but it happens much quicker.

Because of this, I'm really doubting that I should carry this gun for self defense. Has anyone else had similar experiences with the G29?

Since I only shoot at the range and carry for self-defense, and I don't seem to shoot the caliber well, I'm thinking about dropping 10mm. I'm still not sure yet...

If you are not confident with the weapon I feel you should not carry it, IMHO, until you are comfortable with it. Confidence and mindset are are a big deal when it comes to a fight. Pie plate sized groups with the 29 vs tight grouping with other weapons would suggest to me that you are anticipating and most likely jerking the trigger.

TK-421
10-14-2012, 13:12
If you're not comfortable shooting the weapon, and not confident in your abilities for it, then I think it would be best to not carry it. You should only carry something if you're confident in that your weapon will function flawlessly, and you're confident in your ability to accurately use it.

SDGlock23
10-14-2012, 13:33
You shoot the G20 better and it's more comfy, plus it gives better capacity and better ballistics. The G29 does conceal better, but with the right setup the big G20/21 isn't really any harder to conceal than the G17/22. Maybe the 19 is your best bet for concealed carry, then use the G20 when you want.

SCmasterblaster
10-14-2012, 13:38
Don't feel bad. I wouldn't want a paper-plate sized group from a 10mm on my chest.

Remington 870
10-15-2012, 11:55
I had the same problem with a glock 23. I traded it in on a glock 22 and all is well. I like the 23 but I could not get good hits with it.

SCmasterblaster
10-15-2012, 18:52
I had the same problem with a glock 23. I traded it in on a glock 22 and all is well. I like the 23 but I could not get good hits with it.

Strange - the only difference between the two is a half an inch of barrel length. :dunno:

uz2bUSMC
10-15-2012, 19:08
Strange - the only difference between the two is a half an inch of barrel length. :dunno:

Sight radius and weight

SFCSMITH(RET)
10-16-2012, 08:59
10mm is serious business ..
;)

If you are not confident with it, or just not comfortable, don't carry it. I CCW a 20 most of the year, but I have a large frame and can wear loose shirts.... During the heat of summer I do a 26. I don't have a 29...

SCmasterblaster
10-16-2012, 19:01

There is nothing wrong about carrying a Glock 17 pistol. Just get some Winchester or Federal +p+ loads and feel confident with it.

Edarnold
10-17-2012, 14:12
Light (polymer or alloy
frame) guns for major calibers are always a tradeoff. A 25oz 10mm Auto is going to be painful to shoot, just like a 15oz .357 snubby. Assuming you are not going to be wearing a padded shooting glove whenever you carry the G29, perhaps finding a heavier gun of similar dimensions (steel frame) could be a solution. You might see if you can try out a steel Witness Compact or Carry in 10mm for comparison.
IMHO

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

SCmasterblaster
10-17-2012, 17:45
Light (polymer or alloy
frame) guns for major calibers are always a tradeoff. A 25oz 10mm Auto is going to be painful to shoot, just like a 15oz .357 snubby. Assuming you are not going to be wearing a padded shooting glove whenever you carry the G29, perhaps finding a heavier gun of similar dimensions (steel frame) could be a solution. You might see if you can try out a steel Witness Compact or Carry in 10mm for comparison.
IMHO

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Ouch! a 15 ounce snubby .357! :wow: