Big Flo bites the dust--727 Crash Filmed [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Big Flo bites the dust--727 Crash Filmed

Big Bird
10-14-2012, 14:52
This is an attempt to film the deliberate crash of a remote controlled 727. VERY cool series of film clips...

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/curiosity/videos/a-historic-crash.htm

bmoore
10-14-2012, 14:52
I enjoyed that show.

ray9898
10-14-2012, 14:54
I have it saved on the DVR....looks interesting.

Angry Fist
10-14-2012, 14:58
I watched it, and I hope the data they get saves lives in the future. Makes me wonder why this hasn't been done dozens of times.

ClydeG19
10-14-2012, 15:29
I watched it, and I hope the data they get saves lives in the future. Makes me wonder why this hasn't been done dozens of times.

Really. I know they've got dozens of airliners here in Arizona in boneyards they could send up and crash if they are in working order.

The fuselage held together pretty well. I don't think the pilots would have fared too well, but that looks survivable for most of the passengers. I'm not a pilot, but that crash seemed to only simulate a plane coming in too fast and at too steep an angle. It would be interesting to see some crashes in different circumstances.

dango
10-14-2012, 15:46
Now that was worth watching , too cool ........!

Thanks , I needed that ............!:supergrin:

Angry Fist
10-14-2012, 16:01
Really. I know they've got dozens of airliners here in Arizona in boneyards they could send up and crash if they are in working order.

The fuselage held together pretty well. I don't think the pilots would have fared too well, but that looks survivable for most of the passengers. I'm not a pilot, but that crash seemed to only simulate a plane coming in too fast and at too steep an angle. It would be interesting to see some crashes in different circumstances.
Yessir... I hope this ain't a one trick pony. Too may boneyard planes that should make one more flight.

dango
10-14-2012, 16:10
Yessir... I hope this ain't a one trick pony. Too may boneyard planes that should make one more flight.

Fistage , what's verticle man..?

And ditto that............Too much junk in the air....!

rsagona1
10-14-2012, 16:37
It looked really interesting, until I turned it off since I had to watch the same commercial every minute and fifty seconds.

ray9898
10-14-2012, 16:48
Those boneyard planes still have lots of value is the reason you dont see more crashed. They have parts stripped off that are resold or refurbished until the frame is eventually junked.

Angry Fist
10-14-2012, 17:35
Fistage , what's verticle man..?

And ditto that............Too much junk in the air....!
:cheers:

Angry Fist
10-14-2012, 17:37
Those boneyard planes still have lots of value is the reason you dont see more crashed. They have parts stripped off that are resold or refurbished until the frame is eventually junked.
You're right. I'm sure the recycle value goes a long way. Still, I would like to see more experemints like this.

Sporaticus
10-14-2012, 17:51
I didn't watch much because of the commercials, but did the fly it out of Mexico? If so, why? Was that explained?

wrx04
10-14-2012, 18:00
Cool. Thanks for posting.

I want to see the end result of the 're-do' Milgram experiment....why was there only one clip of that? Is this a new series coming out, or is it just the website?

zackwatt
10-14-2012, 18:10
The show was a great watch last week.

CitizenOfDreams
10-14-2012, 18:15
I read the thread title and hoped they put Flo on that plane. :crying:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/84/Flo_from_Progressive_Insurance.jpg/200px-Flo_from_Progressive_Insurance.jpg

ray9898
10-14-2012, 19:11
Is this a new series coming out, or is it just the website?

The show was listed as "Plane Crash" on my DVR. It appeared to be a one time episide of Discovery's Curiosity series.

Angry Fist
10-14-2012, 20:00
I didn't watch much because of the commercials, but did the fly it out of Mexico? If so, why? Was that explained?
I missed that part, also. I guess the FFA wouldn't let that one fly.

Sporaticus
10-14-2012, 20:25
Is this a new series coming out, or is it just the website?

It's a series called Curiosity on Discovery. This was Season 2, episode 1.

http://curiosity.discovery.com/group/curiosity/about

frizz
10-14-2012, 20:49
Years and years ago, there was an experiment to test a fuel additive that was supposed to prevent the explosion of jet fuel in crashes. A lot of aviation deaths are caused by burning to death or smoke inhalation rather than just impact.

The passenger jet was flown by remote and crashed into a set of structures that were designed to make many rips and punctures in the wing fuel tanks.

The plane exploded with the usual fireball, and the additive was declared to be a failure.

But they were wrong about it.

A post-crash inspection showed that the fireball was nowhere near as severe, and the amount of heat that got into the cabin was actually very low.

Had this been a real crash, many of the passengers would have survived and even walked away from the accident. This was the type of accident that, with regular jet fuel, would have killed everyone on board from the fire alone.

It is mentioned at the bottom of this page:

http://dsc.discovery.com/show-news/on-board-the-biggest-rc-plane-crash-in-history.html

Angry Fist
10-14-2012, 21:56
Thanks, frizz. Didn't know about that one. Are there others?

HollowHead
10-14-2012, 22:24
My favorite aircraft crash footage will always be the Electra biting it as the in-flight movie in Airplane! HH

Sporaticus
10-14-2012, 23:30
Years and years ago, there was an experiment to test a fuel additive that was supposed to prevent the explosion of jet fuel in crashes. A lot of aviation deaths are caused by burning to death or smoke inhalation rather than just impact.

The passenger jet was flown by remote and crashed into a set of structures that were designed to make many rips and punctures in the wing fuel tanks.

The plane exploded with the usual fireball, and the additive was declared to be a failure.

But they were wrong about it.

A post-crash inspection showed that the fireball was nowhere near as severe, and the amount of heat that got into the cabin was actually very low.

Had this been a real crash, many of the passengers would have survived and even walked away from the accident. This was the type of accident that, with regular jet fuel, would have killed everyone on board from the fire alone.

I thought about that. The fuel dispersant was intended to flame the fuel fast, keeping the passengers safe. The dispersant did it's job, but in doing the job, it created a huge fireball on the outside of the plane. Secretary of Transportation Elizabeth Dole saw it and freaked out so bad, she canceled the program. The cameras inside later proved that the dispersant worked, and the cabin was pretty much protected from fire.

It makes me wonder how the fuel dispersant would have changed 9-11 if it had been used.

frizz
10-15-2012, 00:19
Thanks, frizz. Didn't know about that one. Are there others?

Yer very welcome! I don't think there are any others, but I don't know. :dunno:

An article I read said no.

HollowHead
10-15-2012, 00:26
It makes me wonder how the fuel dispersant would have changed 9-11 if it had been used.

The buildings would have gotten taller. HH

HollowHead
10-15-2012, 00:33
The dispersant crash test was to have sent the plane at a 90degree angle to the spikes. IIRC, the plane came in sideways them tearing everything apart. HH

Snaps
10-15-2012, 00:41
Seatbelts on the flight though will save you!

sns3guppy
10-15-2012, 00:49
Makes me wonder why this hasn't been done dozens of times.

It has, in many ways. Complete aircraft, parts of aircraft, wings, etc. Many tested to destruction.

Flying an aircraft into the ground on a flat desert only gives a certain amount of information, and it's not common that a crash involves flying an aircraft onto a desert floor, as depicted, in landing configuration, wings level.

Data is gleaned in great detail from every mishap. Manufacturers test wings to destruction, and test fuselage parts, seats, rails, structures, etc. Every bit of material on the interior of the aircraft is burn tested and certified. Every single screw and rivet in the aircraft has a known pedigree and a record. Testing goes on throughout construction and beyond.

Flight data is applied to ongoing safety programs in which data is transmitted and analyzed, as well as recorded on every flight. Certain events are reported directly to a company by the aircraft itself, in real time.

Simply flying aircraft into the ground doesn't come close to the degree of attention given presently to aircraft construction, maintenance, and mishap investigation and research. It's already in play, and were that an actual mishap that occurred, they wouldn't have spent a day looking it over before scrapping the aircraft; it would have been a year or more, and done in great detail...as is always the case.

E-2-E
10-15-2012, 04:00
The buildings would have gotten taller. HH

Thanks for giving a good laugh on this crappy Monday morning.:cool:

Bill Powell
10-15-2012, 07:43
They did a crash like that in Phoenix in the late fifties using a DC-7. I think it was out of Deer Valley Airport. It was like a tether line crash. It was pretty inconclusive. The plate hit and bounced back in the air and then nosed back in.

Dennis in MA
10-15-2012, 08:14
It looked really interesting, until I turned it off since I had to watch the same commercial every minute and fifty seconds.

Yeah. DVR came in REAL handy. 2 hour show, 30 minutes of actually watchable TV.

It was easier to get clearance. Think about it - it's a remote-flown plane. Even the Mexicans really weren't keen on it, made them get TONS of safety personnel (think about that - IN MEXICO!) and then gave them a short window of opportunity. And made em clean it up hasty-pronto and not leave it all in the desert. (again - IN MEXICO!) AND if the thing had screwed up, it was on an eventual collision course with a town in direct line with the runway.