Egg Beaters [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Egg Beaters

Drain You
10-15-2012, 00:31
Anyone use them?

Specifically the cheese flavored, and do you microwave them?
I've made "scrambled" eggs in the microwave before with mixed results.

I'm sure I'm going to give at least one carton a try.

SMOKEin
10-15-2012, 00:35
I use the regular ones often. I have never cared for any of the "flavors" they sell.

NeverMore1701
10-15-2012, 00:37
:puking:

HollowHead
10-15-2012, 00:41
Another vote for the regular. HH

cgwahl
10-15-2012, 00:46
Haven't had them in years. Don't recall them tasting much different from the real thing, but my palette isn't exactly greatest.

nursetim
10-15-2012, 01:41
Go real or don't bother.same goes for butter and Bacon. The artificial stuff is worse for you than the real stuff. If it is a convienance thing, get over it.

costanza187
10-15-2012, 04:16
I have used the regular ones. Actually I liked them really well. It takes a more delicate palette than mine to actually tell the difference between eggbeaters and real eggs at least in an omelet, or scrambled eggs.

I guess if somebody really likes their eggs over easy or something, eggbeaters would not work too well.

One of my favorite things to do is to have eggbeaters with cheese, (cooked in a separate skillet then mixed in later) mushrooms, tomatoes, and bell peppers.

Microwave eggbeaters turn out pretty good, but I like them best cooked on a flat griddle.

FPS
10-15-2012, 04:30
I frequently use the regular. I have also tried the Southwest flavor once and it was pretty good with some onions diced in it. I have never microwaved them. Always in a nonstick pan, scrambled.

FPS
10-15-2012, 04:32
Go real or don't bother.same goes for butter and Bacon. The artificial stuff is worse for you than the real stuff. If it is a convienance thing, get over it.

Are Eggbeaters really worse for you than real eggs? I'm watching my cholesterol so I occasionally eat Eggbeaters instead of the real thing. I'm curious about them being worse. Any credible links on the subject?

costanza187
10-15-2012, 04:54
I don't see how they can be bad for you. From what I hear, they are mostly egg whites anyway.

schild
10-15-2012, 04:54
Just more processed crap, I eat farm fresh eggs everyday. If you think Eggbeaters is the way to a healthy diet you're sadly mistaken.

If you're eating Eggbeaters because you have high cholesterol then you probably believe the whole "heart healthy diet" line of BS. Learn to eat real food and change your lifestyle.

FYI, I'm 60 years old, have had heart attack and stent, eat a hunter/gatherers diet, and my total cholesterol is 134, and have lost 55 pounds.

FPS
10-15-2012, 05:10
Just more processed crap, I eat farm fresh eggs everyday. If you think Eggbeaters is the way to a healthy diet you're sadly mistaken.

If you're eating Eggbeaters because you have high cholesterol then you probably believe the whole "heart healthy diet" line of BS. Learn to eat real food and change your lifestyle.

FYI, I'm 60 years old, have had heart attack and stent, eat a hunter/gatherers diet, and my total cholesterol is 134, and have lost 55 pounds.

I am certainly trying to eat heart healthy by cutting down fats and large quantities of red meat and cutting out eggs. I am eating a lot more fruits and grains and fish. What else should I be doing? My cholesterol was just tested last week at 135 total.

I ask in all seriousness and am not looking to argue, just learn others' opinions.

PhotoFeller
10-15-2012, 05:40
I have used the regular ones. Actually I liked them really well. It takes a more delicate palette than mine to actually tell the difference between eggbeaters and real eggs at least in an omelet, or scrambled eggs.

I guess if somebody really likes their eggs over easy or something, eggbeaters would not work too well.

One of my favorite things to do is to have eggbeaters with cheese, (cooked in a separate skillet then mixed in later) mushrooms, tomatoes, and bell peppers.

Microwave eggbeaters turn out pretty good, but I like them best cooked on a flat griddle.

This says it for me^^. I really like 'em at home and when dining out, but without the cheese. Add a couple of slices of Canadian bacon, sliced tomatoes and dry wheat toast for a heart healthy breakfast. I like 'em as well as real eggs. Fix 'em in the skillet used to warm the Canadian bacon.

Dennis in MA
10-15-2012, 07:31
The only value they've ever had for me is making a REAL Caesar dressing. I don't eat potentially-sal-vanilla-tainted products uncooked. Egg Beaters is sal-vanilla free.

PhotoFeller
10-15-2012, 07:49
I am certainly trying to eat heart healthy by cutting down fats and large quantities of red meat and cutting out eggs. I am eating a lot more fruits and grains and fish. What else should I be doing? My cholesterol was just tested last week at 135 total.

I ask in all seriousness and am not looking to argue, just learn others' opinions.

You're on the right track with a moderate fat, high fruit and veggie, whole grain plan. I'm trying to manage the carb intake as well; for example, I now have a big salad, small pasta portion instead of the opposite serving sizes. I've also eliminated (at least for a while) the red wine I've enjoyed almost every evening; this isn't a must, but I'm trying to kick-start the weight loss (and prove to my wife I can do without it).

Add exercise thats consistent with your physical condition. I'm riding a bike each day 30-60 minutes with emphasis on a sensible aerobic pace.

My experience is that weight loss will improve the cholesterol score...lower LDL...higher HDL. Your diet plan and some exercise WILL result in weight loss.

Drain You
10-15-2012, 08:41
Thanks for the replies. I'm not really looking at it as a losing weight strategy, more for a convenience in storing/cooking/time saving.

Though I could stand to eat less cholesterol in general and especially during breakfast.
I could always just make regular eggs in the microwave if need be.

czsmithGT
10-15-2012, 12:42

Are Eggbeaters really worse for you than real eggs? I'm watching my cholesterol so I occasionally eat Eggbeaters instead of the real thing. I'm curious about them being worse. Any credible links on the subject?

No nothing wrong with egg beaters at all. Simply the whites without the yolks and a bit of yellow color added. If you want to stay away from egg yolks they are fine. I eat real eggs in moderation and also scramble egg beaters with green peppers & onions and have them with toast for breakfast often.

captainstormy
10-15-2012, 12:45
Tried them, don't like the taste myself. If I or someone else don't want the yoke, I just separate it, fairly simple.

I never saw much point myself though. Eggs store a long time, and are fairly cheap.

schild
10-15-2012, 12:59

Forget all the "heart healthy" BS. If your total cholesterol was 135 and your LDL, HDL, and triglycerides weren't out of whack no reason to stop eating eggs.

Forget about "heart healthy whole grains", read the book "Wheat Belly" by Dr. Wm. Davis, a cardiologist.
Then quit eating wheat.

And eat grass fed beef and bison and hormone/antibiotic free chicken.

Zonny
10-15-2012, 13:02
I use one egg and approx 1/3 cup Eggbeaters to make an omelette. This eliminates two fatty yolks. Mixed, I can't tell the difference.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Hyksos
10-15-2012, 14:56
I'm no scientist, but I've read recently that science seems to be trending towards the notion that blood cholesterol is not necessarily tied to food cholesterol. There was some study done on this population living in a small village in Italy. They eat whatever they want, and never seem to die from heart problems. Yet, some of them have cholesterol readings as high as 400.

I believe that for some people cholesterol is a genetic trait and that it will be high no matter what you eat.

G21FAN
10-15-2012, 15:21
I use one egg and approx 1/3 cup Eggbeaters to make an omelette. This eliminates two fatty yolks. Mixed, I can't tell the difference.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

That is a great idea!

I use the SouthWesten flavor to make with Breakfast Burritos with spicey sausage crumbles cooked into the omelette.

PhotoFeller
10-15-2012, 16:36
Forget all the "heart healthy" BS. If your total cholesterol was 135 and your LDL, HDL, and triglycerides weren't out of whack no reason to stop eating eggs.

Forget about "heart healthy whole grains", read the book "Wheat Belly" by Dr. Wm. Davis, a cardiologist.
Then quit eating wheat.

And eat grass fed beef and bison and hormone/antibiotic free chicken.

I don't disagree with you comments about eggs, bison, etc., but your insistence on forgetting the "heart healthy BS" flies in the face of advice given to heart patients across the US. Your attitude undermines the good information in your posts.