...yet Another Refrigerator Thread [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : ...yet Another Refrigerator Thread

costanza187
10-15-2012, 06:14
We had a Frigidaire refrigerator, purchased brand new. It developed a stank. What happened was, water collected in the drip pan and stagnated. When the refrigerator ran, it would blow that odor into the kitchen.

I know a reasonable person would say "just clean the drip pan". However, the engineering geniuses at Frigidaire designed a non-removable drip pan.

Fast forward, several service calls later, and talking with a manager at Lowes, the refrigerator has been replaced. We have the exact same model sitting in the kitchen right now, brand new unit. Seems like nobody has any idea why this was happening. Is there something that I did to cause this, or is there something I can do to keep this from happening again? I know they won't be too keen on replacing my refrigerator AGAIN if this happens.

If there is anything I did to it to cause it, I am completely unaware, but I just kind of worry about it because they all seemed to think I was crazy.

LEO/Dad
10-15-2012, 06:46
The water(condensate)comes from the evaporator when it automatically defrosts. There shouldn't be any odor. My opinion is that the water is carrying with it some manufacturing residue with it to the drain pan, causing the odor. Some people will pour a little bleach in the drain pan to control odor and to disinfect. The chlorine will also kill any critters attempting to grow. The smell could also be coming from another area of the refrigeration equipment, such as a fan motor with problems. Good luck.

Adjuster
10-15-2012, 07:11
They sell little pills at Home Depot that you drop in the drip pan of the refrigerator and and air conditioners to eliminate the smell. But the smell should not be happening in the first place. What is your average indoor humidity? You might want to purchase a hygrometer to keep an eye on it. High humidity will cause high condensate drip in your a/c and fridge.

/

costanza187
10-15-2012, 08:46
I have monitored the humidity in the house depends on time of year it fluctuates from 30-45 percent.

Adjuster
10-15-2012, 10:08
I have monitored the humidity in the house depends on time of year it fluctuates from 30-45 percent.

30-45 % is very low so thats not the issue.

/

airmotive
10-15-2012, 10:18
The water(condensate)comes from the evaporator when it automatically defrosts. There shouldn't be any odor. My opinion is that the water is carrying with it some manufacturing residue with it to the drain pan, causing the odor. Some people will pour a little bleach in the drain pan to control odor and to disinfect. The chlorine will also kill any critters attempting to grow. The smell could also be coming from another area of the refrigeration equipment, such as a fan motor with problems. Good luck.

Careful with that bleech.
You could set up some nasty corrosion in some unintended places. Had a brother go through two condensors in his home a/c unit before the repair guy learned that he was pouring a cap full of bleach into the drip pan every month to prevent anything from growing in the condensate line.(:dunno:)
Someway/somehow the bottom of the condensor ended up corroded all to hell and eventually pin-holed...twice in three years.

LEO/Dad
10-15-2012, 14:36
Careful with that bleech.
You could set up some nasty corrosion in some unintended places. Had a brother go through two condensors in his home a/c unit before the repair guy learned that he was pouring a cap full of bleach into the drip pan every month to prevent anything from growing in the condensate line.(:dunno:)
Someway/somehow the bottom of the condensor ended up corroded all to hell and eventually pin-holed...twice in three years.

Good point. Shouldn't be a problem with plastic drain pan.The condition your brother experienced can also be traced to a improper plumbed condensate drain with a 90 plus condensing furnace. The furnace condensate is highly acidic and if the drain with the a/c doesn't have an air break, the acidic furnace condensate can back up into the evaporator drain pan, and cause this corrosion at the lower part of the evaporator. I have seen this condition with all the lower fins ate off the coil.

costanza187
10-15-2012, 14:56
One other thing...

I doubt it had anything to do with the drip pan, but the repairman found that there was some odorless sticky mess inside the refrigerator between like the case and the wiring at the back corner. Frigidaire told him to check all the corners for leaks and he found that.

Frigidaire told him to caulk it, he said that would be pointless because it would find another place to leak out (thankfully) so he deemed it irreparable and signed off on it. Lowes said they would ask for a replacement if it was deemed irreparable after so many service calls.

Of course Frigidaire rejected the request, and Lowes apologized and told me sorry, looks like you are just out of luck. They went on to say that it must me MY fault that this refrigerator was doing this, and this kind of thing wasn't even covered under warranty. They wouldn't say what I did, but it had to be me causing this problem.

I went to Lowes and talked to the manager about this and explained the whole situation. I did have the "extended protection plan", I think that was some leverage. I told them, they should talk to the company because I would just continue calling them out to work on it for the next year while this thing was covered under the "extended protection plan".

She said she would look into it... she kept her word, they delivered my refrigerator yesterday.

I have been around refrigerators my whole life, and I have never ever had one stink (until this one). The new one is the exact same model, and it has received good reviews on the website, I am hoping this one was just a fluke. I just want to take a pro-active approach if there is some kind of maintenance I need to be doing, I will do it.