Enough about prizes and mail(for now)... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Enough about prizes and mail(for now)...

S.Kargoh
10-15-2012, 12:10
Let's talk about shooting in this thread.

What's your favorite drill to practice at the range?

How many rounds do you fire at the range ?

Anyone else finding that it is costing more and more to shoot (ammo costs)?

What reloading equip would be good for us gssfers? That would balance cost and production abilities.

When will my prize be mailed ?:tongueout:

Melissa5
10-15-2012, 12:22
Oh Lord! You've done it now. If your reloading equipment is not blue, then it won't work properly. :rofl: Currently, I use a Lee Classic turret, but have been considering a Dillon or Hornday progressive. Stay far away from a Lee Loadmaster.

I usually fire between 50-100 rounds once or twice a week. Since I reload, the price is not too bad. The target that I like to shoot has five 5-6" circles on them. I equate those cirlces to "Glock the plates" and will shoot them from 7-25 yards. Closer for speed and farther out for accuracy.

Ocean_glocker
10-15-2012, 12:28
I had a Lee Loadmaster that ran fine for me. But I recently sold all my reloading equipment to make room the baby stuff... So I'm been buying the cheap Russian stuff.

S.Kargoh
10-15-2012, 12:36
I have a lee single stage press and I used to load 45 pistol on it on college. For some reason, I have not been able to force myself to start loading pistol again on it. I shudder at the thought. I am thinking of upgrading. Maybe I will keep loading rifle on it, and get some sort of blue machine for cranking out pistol rounds.

In answer to my other questions:
I like to shoot the "dot torture" drill a lot. It's a good mix of a lot of different skills. Not all useful for gssf (mag changes and weak hand stuff), but it's good practice.

I shoot about 60-100 rds per practice session. I may practice about once a month with live fire. Sometimes not even that, sometimes a bit more before a match.

I try to dry fire regularly, but even get burnt out of that occasionally.

Melissa5
10-15-2012, 13:06
I had a Lee Loadmaster that ran fine for me. But I recently sold all my reloading equipment to make room the baby stuff... So I'm been buying the cheap Russian stuff.

Did you ever pop any primers in your Loadmaster? With it sizing and priming at the same time, I could never tell when one was about to blow. Made me kind of flinchy. :wow:

G21H30
10-15-2012, 13:13
I am fortunate to have a private shooting range set up to practice all three of the GSSF stages. My wife and I usually pick one COF to shoot at each practice secession and do this multiple times. As it gets closer to the match date we practice all three COF just as we would do in a match. I load all of our ammo both practice and match on Dillon 550's and yes the price of components has been going up recently.
Since shooting is a perishable skill and the fact that I just recently made master I'm commited to doing this a least weekly in order to improve my scores.
http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i420/G21H30/GSSFPracticeRange.jpg

Ocean_glocker
10-15-2012, 14:06
I am fortunate to have a private shooting range set up to practice all three of the GSSF stages.

I would love to have property to shoot on near me.

Did you ever pop any primers in your Loadmaster? With it sizing and priming at the same time, I could never tell when one was about to blow. Made me kind of flinchy. :wow:

ahh... what i did was de-prime and resize in station 1 so that all station 2 did was prime.

ron59
10-15-2012, 14:27
If you're not reloading... your wasting money.

I load 100 9mm for less than $11.
That is using 147grain moly coated bullets from Bear Creek. Jacketed would be more like $150 per 100 these days?

Considering that WWB from Wally World is like $25 per 100, that's some sizeable savings.

It'll take some time to offset the cost of your press, but if you shoot very much, it doesn't take long.

Alexd29
10-15-2012, 14:40
I agree with Ron. i started on a lee loadmaster. it ran great for me for almost 2 years. within the last few months i started.getting too much slop in the machine when loading 9mm. I bought a 650 and let me tell you it was money well spent.

it depends on how much you shoot to justify what you want to spend to get into reloading. do you shoot 1000 rds a month, or 1000 rds a year. I cant imagine loading pistol ammo on anything but a progressive press.

I like to shoot 5toG and the plates for practice. consitancy in practice will translate.to better times in comp. If you dont have a.timer, i would invest in one. every 10th of a sec u save to the first shot will pay dividends on your total time

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

S.Kargoh
10-15-2012, 15:29
So, I was looking at the 550 or the square deal just now.any input on either of those?

Seale Team
10-15-2012, 15:37
So, I was looking at the 550 or the square deal just now.any input on either of those?

What ya want to know other than price and specs thats on their web site? I got both long with a 1050, long story.

First things to come to my mind...You loading more than one caliber? Plan on it? Flexible medium hands? You'll need them IMO with a Square Deal. Money an issue?

Melissa5
10-15-2012, 16:39
I was told not to get the square deal because of the proprietary dies and I don't think the 550 auto indexes. If I were going to go blue, I would have to get the 650.

SARDG
10-15-2012, 16:52
Let's talk about shooting in this thread.

1) What's your favorite drill to practice at the range?

2) How many rounds do you fire at the range ?

3) Anyone else finding that it is costing more and more to shoot (ammo costs)?

4)What reloading equip would be good for us gssfers? That would balance cost and production abilities.

5) When will my prize be mailed ?:tongueout:
1) I have so many - or more than enough - matches and match practices to fill up my weeks and month that my 'drills' are IDPA, Steel, occassional Bowling Pins and Bullseye, and a GSSF match here and there. Not much extra time left except some plinking at the range, or checking sights, or chronying loads... I have unlimited access to my club's ranges and keys to take advantage at any time - but am OUT of time to use the benefit much.

2) On any old practice or match day (2 or 3 a week), I'll shoot perhaps 125-150 rounds.

3) Nah - I started reloading this past March and ammo has gone down - and what I shoot is fine-tuned for what I do and need.

4) If you ask here (and as Melissa implied), you have to drink the BLUE KoolAid. If you ask unclebob, nothing beats the 650, but many use the 550. I have a 650 and if I did it over, I'd buy a 1050 instead - but I'm kinda crazy.

As Dave said, you MUST have a progressive unless you have rediculous amounts of time to waste, or shoot perhaps 100 rounds each week - tops. The 550 is progressive, but NOT auto-indexing and has 4 stations vs. 5 stations in the 650. The 5th station can come into play with a powder check alarm OR a bullet feeder. If you want both a powder check and a bullet feeder, 5 stations aren't enough unless you seat and crimp with one die.

Square D - yep, non-standard dies.

You should hang out on the GT Reloading thread, read the Stickies, and do some searches.
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26

5) Dunno. Still waiting for Dawsonville pistol cert. :supergrin:

Noponer
10-16-2012, 07:50
If your reloading equipment is not blue (means "Dillon", in case you didn't know), then it won't work properly. :rofl:

Don't make fun of the "real" loader. :tongueout:

I was told not to get the square deal because of the proprietary dies and I don't think the 550 auto indexes. If I were going to go blue, I would have to get the 650.

I have used a Dillon RL550B for 19 years & loaded thousands of rounds on it. It has not been perfect, but darn near. I could still call Dillon today & tell them a part is broken or malfunctioning... & have the part in my hands in a few days at no cost! But a broken part has never happened & the couple of times I thought I needed a part, the tech told me what to do to eliminate my problem. However, they did send me a couple of free replacement parts for wearable items.

I think the 550 is the best combination of cost vs. production, ruggedness & versatility (loads more types of cartridges than any of the other Dillon loaders... & the Square Deal does only pistol rounds). I would not buy a more expensive, elaborate machine just to get auto-indexing. If you want the additional bells & whistles of a 650 or 1050, then the auto-index feature is a nice bonus.

SARDG
10-16-2012, 08:34
...I would not buy a more expensive, elaborate machine just to get auto-indexing. If you want the additional bells & whistles of a 650 or 1050, then the auto-index feature is a nice bonus.
But when you need an extra station (or 2), the 550 quickly becomes a dead end. Obviously, many people go decades without that requirement, but then, many people reload for years on a single stage press and I bought one of those to simply dedicate to bullet pulling.

It all depends on how many various calibers, your quantity requirements, and how much of your life you want to spend sitting (or standing) at a press.

Noponer
10-16-2012, 09:06
... I would not buy a more expensive, elaborate machine just to get auto-indexing. If you want the additional bells & whistles of a 650 or 1050, then the auto-index feature is a nice bonus.

But when you need an extra station (or 2), the 550 quickly becomes a dead end. Obviously, many people go decades without that requirement, but then, many people reload for years on a single stage press and I bought one of those to simply dedicate to bullet pulling.

It all depends on how many various calibers, your quantity requirements, and how much of your life you want to spend sitting (or standing) at a press.

As I said..... "If you want the additional bells & whistles".

Apparently you do. I don't - & many other shooters may not either. As you say, everyone is different. I just like to think most would want to be more like me than like you, Kitty. :tongueout:

I stand by my opinion.

SARDG
10-16-2012, 09:27
...I just like to think most would want to be more like me than like you, Kitty. :tongueout:
I agree Ken, I agree... :wavey:

k

yobohadi
10-16-2012, 14:02
I own a 550B and a Square Deal B, both are good machines. Both average 200 - 300 rounds per hour for me, but I am slow and I take my time to make sure I see the new primer in the 550 primer cup (can't see it in the SDB, but you can feel it seat), look into the case for the dispensed powder, and include the time I take to fill the primer tubes and check each cartridge with a case gauge. In just a few hours I have enough rounds put together for a couple months of practice sessions or GSSF matches. I leave the SDB set up for .45ACP loads and my 550 gets switched between, 9mm, 40S&W, and .223 Rem. Note that the SDB is only for pistol calibers. I should add that I own a Lee Loadmaster as well, it is a good machine for the money, but I like my Dillons better.

It would be nice to upgrade to a 650, but you are looking at almost a $Grand just to get into that machine (with casefeeder). Unless I start shooting more often, then it isn't worth the money for me right now. My money has been going towards primers, powder, and lead lately, so it isn't likely that I will be able to save up enough for a new press. Also, I enjoy reloading and casting bullets, so it doesn't bother me that I cannot crank out record amounts of ammo in an hour, if it takes longer and you enjoy it, you win. :)

If you can find a Dillon used you can save some money on the up front costs especially if the press is in bad shape, they come with the best warranty in the world.

Give me a call S.Kargoh if you want to chat about reloading. :cool:

mike g35
10-17-2012, 06:40
I own a 550b and I would recommend it to anyone.
When's your prize coming? Don't know but I got my cert from Marietta a few days ago. Here's to my new Gen 4 G19!!! :)

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

BamaTrooper
10-17-2012, 09:02
As I said..... "If ... As you say, everyone is different. I just like to think most would want to be more like me than like you, Kitty. ...

:tempted: decisions, decisions:tongueout:

Noponer
10-17-2012, 09:12
As I said..... I just like to think most would want to be more like me than like you, Kitty.....

:tempted: decisions, decisions:tongueout:

OK, OK..... which one on the see-saw is supposed to be me?

S.Kargoh
10-17-2012, 09:25
Been watching youtube vids of different reloaders, looking up info on some.

I think I will get the 550 b. How does the powder measure bar work and is it good? I currently weigh every charge on a balance. It sucks. But I didn't like using the lee perfect powder dropper thing. It seemed a tiny bit inaccurate.

yobohadi
10-17-2012, 09:59
My Dillon powder bars are dropping +/-0.1 grains each time, most of it depends on the type of powder you use, flake, ball, extruded, and if they compact more over time. I've used Bullseye, Clays, 231, Unique, and HP-38 all with good results. I didn't do this but there are posts out there that show you how to polish the cone of the powder measure to help improve the drop consistency. I have found that I don't see a difference in +/- .1 grains, but then again, I am not a great shot.

I trust the powder system enough to only weigh the first few charges I throw at the start of the reloading session, every time I refill primers in the tube or pause/take a break from reloading in the middle of a session.

I suggest buying the base setup, then add things you want later, I don't use the low powder hopper sensor, I just make it part of my reloading process to glance at it and keep it at least half full. Of course I did buy the bullet tray, strong mount and cartridge bin and bracket to raise the press up and so I didn't have to reach as far to grab brass and bullets.

SARDG
10-17-2012, 12:16
You have to ask? Bama already knows what an angel I am! :angel:

SARDG
10-17-2012, 12:34
My Dillon powder bars are dropping +/-0.1 grains each time, ....I didn't do this but there are posts out there that show you how to polish the cone of the powder measure to help improve the drop consistency. I have found that I don't see a difference in +/- .1 grains, but then again, I am not a great shot...
I polished mine and I use the UniqueTek Powder Baffle:
http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1278

On my loads I seem to be able to set the bar for +0/-.1 - i.e.: I want 5gr; I can set it to throw 5.0-4.9gr. using VV N320 powder, which seems to meter well. If there's a bind or something funky on a stroke, I'll always check the powder throw in that case manually. And I have the Powder Check Alarm, but that only seems to be useful for no charge or a double charge.

I use fast powder(s) and the load range, (recommended min to max) is .5gr. An additional .1gr in my 9mil load gives me 905fps vs. 882fps. with a 147 bullet.

BamaTrooper
10-17-2012, 13:31

:noevil::zipmouth:

unclebob
10-17-2012, 13:46
I have been reloading for over 50 years. I loaded on the 550 for 20 years and loaded 200,000 rds. on it and then sold it. I then bought the 650 with case feeder, strong mount, bullet tray, roller handle, a couple of powder checks. And tool heads to replace the 550 tool heads. I have been loading on the 650 for 13 years.
The 550 is the main stay of the Dillon press line because I believe the price of the press and the cost of caliber conversions. The calibers that a 550 can load and not the 650 are mainly calibers that hardly anyone even owns or even loads for. Also people look at the 650 and think it is complicated. In reality it is very simple press. Just about everything is done for the reloader.
For the average person the 550 press will work for them. But it depends on also on how much the person has time to reload and how much they shoot. Also are they willing and able to spend the extra money for the higher production and I believe safer press. Also higher price for caliber conversions.
On the Dillon 650 press. With the new Fail Safe system on the powder measure and with the auto indexing it is almost impossible to double charge. Unless the reloader takes the charged case out and puts it back under the powder measure and cycles the handle again. Short stroke the press and you will get a squib load. With looking inside each and every case and using the powder check as a backup and paying attention if a buzzer goes off. A reloader should not have either one.
I and most people that have used both press also like the priming system of the 650 better. After about 50,000 rds. on the 550 it would at times would drive me nuts. And that is about the biggest complaint people have with the 550.
The 1050 to me is great if you only load one caliber. It swages primer pockets and it has an extra station for making it a lot easier if the loader wants a bullet feeder. But you have a larger price for the press and it only has a one year warranty. The 550 and 650 both have a life time warranty no matter who owns the press. The first owner or the tenth.
If for some reason I had to start all over in buying a press without question for me it would be the 650. I have never wished I still had the 550.
As for the Hornady LNL. I personally would not buy one at least not as this time. I still think they have too many unsolved problems. Plus I don’t like the design, workmanship and operation of the press. Between the 650 and LNL with case feeder there is not that big of a difference in price between the two.

SARDG
10-17-2012, 14:43
...The calibers that a 550 can load and not the 650 are mainly calibers that hardly anyone even owns or even loads for. Also people look at the 650 and think it is complicated. In reality it is very simple press. Just about everything is done for the reloader...

...I and most people that have used both press also like the priming system of the 650 better. After about 50,000 rds. on the 550 it would at times would drive me nuts. And that is about the biggest complete people have with the 550...

...On the Dillon 650 press. With the new Fail Safe system on the powder measure and with the auto indexing it is almost impossible to double charge...

...If for some reason I had to start all over in buying a press without question for me it would be the 650. I have never wished I still had the 550...

...Between the 650 and LNL with case feeder there is not that big of a difference in price between the two.
You should try to be a little more like Noponer! :rofl:

Noponer
10-18-2012, 10:09
You should try to be a little more like Noponer! :rofl:

I agree with everything unclebob said. My original comment was only about not buying a 650 or 1050 just to get auto-indexing.

All the Dillon presses are great machines. If only one was "the" correct machine for everyone, Mike would probably manufacture that one alone. I would love to have a 650 or 1050, but I have been very pleased with my 550.

Of course, if unclebob wants to be more like me, that's OK. -:supergrin:
He seems fine to me now, though. I can think of a few people who should be more like him.

S.Kargoh
10-18-2012, 10:12
Got my montanner prize cert and check yesterday.

July 7,8 match date

SARDG
10-18-2012, 18:58
...Of course, if unclebob wants to be more like me, that's OK. -:supergrin:
He seems fine to me now, though. I can think of a few people who should be more like him.
Hey - should I take that personally?? :crying: :tongueout:

Noponer
10-18-2012, 20:30
....Of course, if unclebob wants to be more like me, that's OK. -:supergrin:

Hey - should I take that personally?? :crying: :tongueout:

Not unless you want to.

You're not one of the few I had in mind.:rant:

ron59
10-22-2012, 13:56
I own a 550 and a 650, and I certainly wouldn't buy the 650 just because it auto-indexes.

I bought the 550 first because it is much cheaper than a 650 with casefeeder (wouldn't buy a 650 if I wasn't buying casefeeder). I didn't want to spend lots of money on a setup only to find I didn't like it or something. After 2.5 years of using that (and over 40,000 rounds), I got a 650 for even more speed and ease.

As for number of stations... yeah, extra stations are nice, but from what I gather, I figure less than 10% of people use powder check dies. Few use bullet feeders also as they're somewhat hit or miss.

550 is the simplest way to get started, there's a few less things going on you have to "tune" than the 650.

And I would also stay away from the Square Deal for several reasons... the proprietary dies being one. I love the Redding Competition Seating die, you don't have to adjust it to change your OAL, just spin the dial. Simple! Plus, it has a smaller footprint which makes it tougher to get your hand(s) in there and do stuff.