Have you ever been stung by a yellow jacket on [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever been stung by a yellow jacket on

Glock20 10mm
10-15-2012, 13:57
your tongue? Well I just experienced that wretched event this morning... my woman left a can of pineapple juice on the hand rail and I saw it this morning and figured it would a great morning "pick me up jolt!" Well I was right! Apparently two of the yellow and black demons crawled into the can and of course got stuck in the juice... I come along and take a swig and HOLY MOTHER OF ***** THAT HURTS!! I spit the juice out along with two of the demons, one appeared to be dead already... and the other was moving vigorously until I stepped on it.

Woman heard me howling as I ran into the kitchen to rinse my mouth out (yeah... really didn't know what else to do) while our 9 month old is clapping her hands and howling with me!!!:faint:

Geeorge
10-15-2012, 13:58
Keep your drinks in the fridge,the jellow jackets can't open the door

Highspeedlane
10-15-2012, 14:08
I saw someone get stung in the throat by a bee at a range years ago. They set their Coke down, came back to it a while later, took a gulp, and next thing we knew he was swatting at his neck, coughing and gagging. Not pleasant to witness.

Keep those outdoor beverages capped or covered when not in use!

BEER
10-15-2012, 14:46
yep, i was stung on the lip once by a bee and once in the roof of my mouth by a red wasp. both from drink cans while outdoors. the shot to the roof of the mouth was one of the most agonizing experiences of my life, there was simply nothing i could do to alleviate the pain, and while i'm not allergic to wasp stings i am hypersensitive to them. where most people feel the throbbing pain for a few hours i feel it for up to 24 and sometimes longer depending on the location.

now when i drink soda outside i'll put a small piece of tape, or chewing gum or something on the tab and swing it around over the hole if i have to set it down for any length of time.

Glock20 10mm
10-15-2012, 14:47
yep, i was stung on the lip once by a bee and once in the roof of my mouth by a red wasp. both from drink cans while outdoors. the shot to the roof of the mouth was one of the most agonizing experiences of my life, there was simply nothing i could do to alleviate the pain, and while i'm not allergic to wasp stings i am hypersensitive to them. where most people feel the throbbing pain for a few hours i feel it for up to 24 and sometimes longer depending on the location.

now when i drink soda outside i'll put a small piece of tape, or chewing gum or something on the tab and swing it around over the hole if i have to set it down for any length of time.

Good idea on the tape!

glockrod
10-15-2012, 14:59
They lit me up!!

I was with a bunch of friends at a local dirt race track. Set my MtDew down and didnt look when I came back to it.

I very nearly had to go to the hospital. Although I am not generally allergic, my tongue and bottom lip swole up a good bit. I looked like a freak clown!!

Everyone, including me got a big laugh out of it, but it definitely taught me a lesson.

vart
10-15-2012, 15:00
Ouch! I have never been stung in the mouth. Worst yellow-jacket sting I have suffered was when one stung me right on the base of my skull.

Felt like it went right into my spinal cord... I got really dizzy and nauseous for about a half-hour...

Angry Fist
10-15-2012, 15:02
Damn, that sucks! Another vote for tape or cigarrete pack on the can.

el_jewapo
10-15-2012, 15:06
A healthy splash of bourbon should be added to all canned drinks when outside in the summer months to ward off insects. To keep you warm in the winter months.

Glock&KimberLady
10-15-2012, 15:19
Dayum. I got nailed on the back of the knee while leaving a VM...my friend called later, laughing his ass off at the two-minute, expletive-filled message I'd left for him. Felt like I had a cigarette being put out on my leg for about six hours. Couldn't imagine the mouth...but covering your drink is a act of life here in the summer. We have bald hornets (black and white) and they are as aggressive as Honey Badger.

TK-421
10-15-2012, 15:47
This is one of the major reasons why I like using bottles with screw on lids, instead of cans. Another reason why I don't like setting a drink down and not being able to constantly keep an eye on it. But that last one also stems from me not trusting people and expecting someone to put something in my drink if I step away from it.

Never been stung in the roof of my mouth. Worst I've had it was about a dozen stings on my legs once day from grabbing a pile of brush that had quite a few wasps in it. I bet the tongue really sucks though.

canis latrans
10-15-2012, 16:50
We have bald hornets (black and white) and they are as aggressive as Honey Badger.

they have absolutely NO sense of humor about ANYTHING!

ede
10-15-2012, 16:56
I got stung once by a few yellow jackets, ended up walking down the hill to my house in my underwear.

Glock20 10mm
10-15-2012, 16:58
It was my tongue... the tip, still burns although the swelling has gone down a bit.

texasglong
10-15-2012, 17:11
I use to raise honeybees. Been stung in some very funny places but not in the mouth.

Foxtrotx1
10-15-2012, 17:15
Since I always have my phone with me, I set my phone on the can.

Foxtrotx1
10-15-2012, 17:15
It was my tongue... the tip, still burns although the swelling has gone down a bit.

Just the tip?

true believer
10-15-2012, 17:43
a bunch of places but!!
came close a few times...gota suck...
:shocked:

jtull7
10-15-2012, 17:45
I've been stung by yellow jackets many times, and in many different places, but never on the tongue. OUCH!

In West Texas, BTW, they are usually called dirt daubers.

Glock20 10mm
10-15-2012, 17:49
Just the tip?

Yeah... I picked the pineapple juice can up and took a swig... I like to swirl the juice around my tongue (weird I suppose) anyhow As soon as the first yellow jacket hit my tongue (I felt the "chunky" in the juice and knew something wasn't right) I started to spit but I think that's when the second one... or first I don't know, the one that WAS alive, stung me on the tip of my tongue.

The pain was something I have never experienced before... and I live with and have experienced some pretty gnarly pain in my short years, broken ribs, fingers, hands, arms, nose, deep lacerations... Pretty long list but this, WOW!

kiole
10-15-2012, 17:50
I've been stung in the throat that wasn't pleasant

Walk Soft
10-15-2012, 17:53
No, but it's amazing that I haven't.I've spit at least a dozen out over the last couple years.

el_jewapo
10-15-2012, 18:23
I've been stung in the throat that wasn't pleasant

Inside or out?

fusegsp
10-15-2012, 18:30
I was stung on the lip when I was 5 or 6. It swelled up like a mother. I was playing around the chain link dog kennels my uncle had for his Brittanies. The yellow jackets were inside the poles of the kennel. This was in the middle of the summer and hot as hell. My uncle put on a snowsuit and went out and went to work. He took the dogs and dog houses out of the enclosure and poured gas on the poles and set the whole deal on fire. I'm not sure if he did it for me or his dogs, but it worked.

TransAm-98
10-15-2012, 19:26
My dad swallowed one that flew in his drink while we were camping once. Got him in the throat, he had a pretty rough weekend.

*ASH*
10-15-2012, 19:31
being a tarheel , and growing up here in NC , you learn at early age if you leave uncovered soda outside , you always look and pour some out before gulp . my wife being from PA , learned lesson the hard way as well .

but i always get lit up when mowing , damn underground yellow jackets !!!

Dan_ntx
10-15-2012, 19:35
I've been stung by yellow jackets many times, and in many different places, but never on the tongue. OUCH!

Dirt daubers are different than yellow jackets... The common Texas slang for yellow jackets is "hornets"... Dirt, or mud daubers don't scare anyone above age 10, I am confident they don't sting or bite at all.

I found out last Summer that the frequency of my electric weed eater makes them angry

janice6
10-15-2012, 19:37
Had Ground Bees harassing us. Waited 'till after dark and unloaded a whole can of Eurathane foam insulation into the nest.

No more bees. Will be a puzzle to some archeologists years from now.

BEER
10-15-2012, 20:41

down here in south texas what we call dirt/mud daubers are long black almost wasp looking things that are solitary and almost comically non-aggressive. yellow jackets are small yellow and black striped servants of satan and are hyper=aggressive, even more so that red wasps. at least red wasps try to build their nests above eye level and will only attack if you look at them, yellow jackets will build nests wherever the hell they want and will **** you up just for being on the same side of the equator.

we do have yellow jackets down here but luckily they are pretty danged scarce.

mud dauber.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/SCOWL1313/Muddauber04.jpg

yellow jacket.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/SCOWL1313/pic07western.jpg

scratchy wilson
10-15-2012, 21:09
Saw a couple of these a few months ago. If I was stung, I think I would've jumped off the cliff:
Tarantula Hawk (http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarantula_hawk)

"…immediate, excruciating pain that simply shuts down one's ability to do anything, except, perhaps, scream"

This abomination of nature was the size of my thumb!

Caver 60
10-15-2012, 22:15
Don't know how well it would work on the tongue, but Adolph's meat tenderizer works well on other places that yellow jackets like to sting.

I got hit on the back of the hand recently. Ran inside, grabbed the Adolph's, wet the sting site with water, applied a generous pouring of Adolph's, and made a wet paste over the sting site. Let it sit for about 15 or 20 minutes.

No more pain from the first minute or so, no swelling, problem solved. If I get stung and there is no Adolph's, it normally swells and hurts like you know what.

HandyMan Hugh
10-15-2012, 22:44
A good friend once got stung in the roof of his mouth by a hornet. His wife ( a Nurse ) gave him a glass of whiskey with the instructions to rinse and spit several times. Well, he forgot to spit a few times, and soon he had NO pain at all. She said he was pretty funny for a while. :rofl:

VinnieD
10-15-2012, 22:58
When I was a kid I was stung in the eyelid by a red wasp. Couldn't see out of that eye for a few days. Hurt like all Hell. Those things still terrify me.

Yellow Jackets however have stung me so many times I've built up an immunity. I really can't tell the difference between a yellow jacket sting and a mosquito bite now except that the yellow jacket stings take longer to go away. The ones around here are stealthy little buggers and sting just for the fun of it. I end up playing guess what bit me.

Red wasps, i stay away from until I can employ fire in their destruction. They know I have a phobia and use it against me. I've been late for work before because one kept hanging around my car.

trugracie
10-15-2012, 23:30
Lucky for you your not allergic!
I found out the hard way that I am severely allergic!!!
Got stung about 4 times after accidentally running over their hive with my mower. According to the ER doctor, another 30 min and I would have died. Go figure!!!

alphacat
10-15-2012, 23:38
Once a Yellow Jacket stung me on the finger when I was working out it the yard. Hurt like heck.
Have you ever been stung by a dead bee?

Glock&KimberLady
10-15-2012, 23:40
they have absolutely NO sense of humor about ANYTHING!

"Thanks for the snack, stupid!" :rofl: I love that video...the incongruity of the ever-so-fruity "announcer" contrasts greatly with the Honey Badger footage, macking on a cobra.

Standard treatment for hornet stings here (the kids get tagged every summer) is a cotton ball with vinegar on it, band-aided over the sting. Baking soda for bees, vinegar for hornets/wasps. Works great.

Kevinr20
10-15-2012, 23:40
That has gotta hurt. I was stung in the leg by a wasp when I was a kid. I cried for hours lol.

Stepped on a bee a few months ago and my toe swelled up and felt like it was on fire but was fine the next day.

frizz
10-16-2012, 03:15
When I was three, I went outside while nekkid to watch my parents do yard work. You probably see where this is going...

It stung me on my wee-wee! The next several seconds after the blinding pain is lost to me. The next thing I remember is running from I parents because I didn't want them to put wet cigarette tobacco on it.

Toyman
10-16-2012, 07:59
Like this?

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=228386&stc=1&d=1350395945

2-8 Marine
10-16-2012, 08:06

Thank goodness you fared better than I did. Three weeks ago I was stung by a yellow jacket on the inner side of my right forearm. I've been stung before and never had much of a reaction except soreness at the site and slight swelling. However, this time my entire lower forearm almost from elbow to wrist was intensely swollen, red and sore for two weeks before gradually returning to normal and this only after a steroid shot from my doctor. I never experienced anything like it before.

Dennis in MA
10-16-2012, 09:08
Ten days after I turned 8,
Got my lips stuck in a gate
My friends all laughed…

And I just stood there until the fire department came and broke the lock with a crowbar and I had to spend the next six weeks in lip rehab with this kid named Oscar who got stung by a bee right on the lip and we couldn’t even talk to each other until the fifth week because both our lips were so swollen and when he did start speaking he just spoke polish and I only knew like three words in polish except now I know four because Oscar taught me the word for lip, “Usta”.

Dr. Archibald: Your friends all laughed. Usta.

Just reminding me of this.

gwalchmai
10-16-2012, 09:47
I've been stung by YJs many times. It's never pleasant. Once when I was about twelve I was mowing a neighbor's lawn and ran over a nest. Several ran up my pants leg and got my thighs (I NEVER go commando due to this experience). She made me take off my pants and let her rub me down with alcohol (you probably thought these letters were made up, huh? ;))

Also, I got a sweat bee in my eye once while motorcycling (he got under my sunglasses). He stung my eyeball. I didn't ever completely lose sight in it, but it was swollen pretty bad for a couple of days. Everything came back to normal after that, though.

Glock20 10mm
10-16-2012, 10:51
Had Ground Bees harassing us. Waited 'till after dark and unloaded a whole can of Eurathane foam insulation into the nest.

No more bees. Will be a puzzle to some archeologists years from now.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

gwalchmai
10-16-2012, 10:52
What about a dead bee? Any of you ever bit by one of those?

dbcooper
10-16-2012, 10:56
I had one get my big toe one morning, I went to put my boots on and somehow one had overnighted inside. Hell of a way to start a day.

Foxterriermom
10-16-2012, 11:26
Sounds painful! I got nailed on the back earlier this summer and the spot itched for over two weeks once the initial sting quit hurting.

tantrix
10-16-2012, 11:41
When I was a kid I was stung in the eyelid by a red wasp. Couldn't see out of that eye for a few days. Hurt like all Hell. Those things still terrify me.

Yellow Jackets however have stung me so many times I've built up an immunity. I really can't tell the difference between a yellow jacket sting and a mosquito bite now except that the yellow jacket stings take longer to go away. The ones around here are stealthy little buggers and sting just for the fun of it. I end up playing guess what bit me.

Red wasps, i stay away from until I can employ fire in their destruction. They know I have a phobia and use it against me. I've been late for work before because one kept hanging around my car.

I'm just the opposite...if a red wasp leaves it's nest and stings me, I will get so damn mad I'll get the ladder, climb up, rip the nest off with my hand and stomp it flat on the ground. When I'm mowing or bush-hogging and hit a yellow-jacket nest, I run like hell. Just too many to go to war with. :rofl:

Glock20 10mm
10-16-2012, 12:03
It's still sore but the swelling has gone down... although I still talk a bit funny as it hurts to form certain letters... :upeyes: