Choice delima [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Choice delima

Osborne
10-15-2012, 14:18
I've got it narrowed down to either the Stag Arms model 1 or 2.

Model 1 http://www.stagarms.com/product_info.php?cPath=13_22&products_id=205

Model 2 http://www.stagarms.com/product_info.php?cPath=13_22&products_id=206

I really like the carry handles for some reason. But EVERY single person I've talked to has went on about how I'll want an optic eventually etc, etc. And I know backup sights are a must when using a optic, so I don't know whether to just get the model 2...

The thing is I really would like an optic but just hesitant to throw out 350-400 on a Eotech 512.... So should I get the Model 1 and call it a day or get a Model 2 with an optic such as a Eotech 512 or hopefully something cheaper and just as good?

Powder
10-15-2012, 14:26
For $1000, you can build one yourself just the way you want it, with better parts too probably.....

Osborne
10-15-2012, 14:27
For $1000, you can build one yourself just the way you want it, with better parts too probably.....

I'll be getting the Model 1 or 2 for around $750-800. And I believe not %100 though that Stag has a lifetime warranty for the original owner?

Plus you have to know what in the hell your doing to put one together. lol

mvician
10-15-2012, 15:16
For now, get the carry handle, Model 1.
At a later day, if you decide you want to go with an optic, remove the handle and put the optic on. Pick up a BUIS, keep or sell the carry handle. Or chop it down into a LMT style BUIS.

WinterWizard
10-15-2012, 16:11
Don't buy a Stag. Any AR-15 aficionado knows that if it isn't a Colt it will malfunction every other round, rust and corrode within 6 months, parts will break every week and the barrel will fall off within 1 year. Plus, if you take anything but a Colt to the range, you will be laughed right out of town. Spend an extra $200-$300 and buy what the AR-15 gods have gifted upon the altar of shooting - the LE6920.

Osborne
10-15-2012, 16:26
Don't buy a Stag. Any AR-15 aficionado knows that if it isn't a Colt it will malfunction every other round, rust and corrode within 6 months, parts will break every week and the barrel will fall off within 1 year. Plus, if you take anything but a Colt to the range, you will be laughed right out of town. Spend an extra $200-$300 and buy what the AR-15 gods have gifted upon the altar of shooting - the LE6920.

I have a feeling your joking but i'm not sure, because this is GT after all.

Eh, my Wal-Mart carries the LE6920 it cant be too good if its a "Walmart" gun :tongueout::whistling:

Osborne
10-15-2012, 16:27
At a later day, if you decide you want to go with an optic, remove the handle and put the optic on. Pick up a BUIS, keep or sell the carry handle. Or chop it down into a LMT style BUIS.

Sounds like a plan, I'll likely end up doing this.

WinterWizard
10-15-2012, 16:34
I have a feeling your joking but i'm not sure, because this is GT after all.

Eh, my Wal-Mart carries the LE6920 it cant be too good if its a "Walmart" gun :tongueout::whistling:

I would have thought the sarcasm is eminently apparent. But seeing as it was not, shows how brainwashed people are by the marketing gods and those who are brand slaves.

Osborne
10-15-2012, 16:34
I would have thought the sarcasm is eminently apparent.

Yeah, I thought so :tongueout: but this is GlockTalk LOL.

samuse
10-15-2012, 21:00

This.

When you're ready for an Aimpoint, get a lower 1/3 mount and whatever BUIS you like.

Keep the carry handle around if you want to play with it later.

The 'plus package' upgrade is a good option.

I like Stags... And I'm a Colt snob!

mjkeat
10-15-2012, 21:12
^Thank you for bringing that up.

OP, does the $750-$800 include the Plus Package?

Osborne
10-15-2012, 22:59
This.

When you're ready for an Aimpoint, get a lower 1/3 mount and whatever BUIS you like.

Keep the carry handle around if you want to play with it later.

The 'plus package' upgrade is a good option.

I like Stags... And I'm a Colt snob!

What do you mean a 1/3 mount? I was thinking about getting the plus package but don't know yet.

Osborne
10-15-2012, 23:00
^Thank you for bringing that up.

OP, does the $750-$800 include the Plus Package?

Nope if it did that would be an insane deal.

WoodenPlank
10-15-2012, 23:03
What do you mean a 1/3 mount? I was thinking about getting the plus package but don't know yet.

True cowitness places the iron sights centered in your red dot optic's window when looking through the iron sights.

A lower 1/3rd puts them in the lower third of the window when looking through the irons.

Osborne
10-15-2012, 23:07
True cowitness places the iron sights centered in your red dot optic's window when looking through the iron sights.

A lower 1/3rd puts them in the lower third of the window when looking through the irons.

thanks I kinda thought it was something like that.

Cole125
10-15-2012, 23:25
Stag ARs are good to go, yeah you can get better but they are solid guns.

You will want a optic later on, trust me. Don't get a EOTech 512, get a Aimpoint Pro. If you don't have the funds, get a Primary Arms red dot.

mjkeat
10-16-2012, 00:15
Nope if it did that would be an insane deal.

So that adds another $100 onto the price bringing it to $900, correct?

ArmoryDoc
10-16-2012, 01:24

This is true. Listen to this man. :wavey:

Osborne
10-16-2012, 10:53
Stag ARs are good to go, yeah you can get better but they are solid guns.

You will want a optic later on, trust me. Don't get a EOTech 512, get a Aimpoint Pro. If you don't have the funds, get a Primary Arms red dot.

For the price and lifetime warranty, and I've fired them before they seem like they are really good.

What's wrong with the eotech 512 ? How about this I get the model 2 right now and get a primary arms optic then later down the road ill get a aim point or eotech and put the old primary arms optic on my ak

Does the aimpoint pro and primary arms optics take AA batteries ? I hate those weird batteries so much .

Sent from my iPhone

Osborne
10-16-2012, 10:54
So that adds another $100 onto the price bringing it to $900, correct?

Yup that is correct.

Sent from my iPhone

Osborne
10-16-2012, 10:55
This is true. Listen to this man. :wavey:

If you all want to PayPal me the few hundred to make up the difference ill go out and buy a 6920 today.

Sent from my iPhone

ArmoryDoc
10-16-2012, 11:12
Let's just say I did and call it good. It's the thought that counts, after all. ;)

Osborne
10-16-2012, 17:18
Turns out I may be able to get an aimpoint or eotech right away with the rifle, what makes the aimpoint pro better then an eotech 512?

mvician
10-16-2012, 17:27
Turns out I may be able to get an aimpoint or eotech right away with the rifle, what makes the aimpoint pro better then an eotech 512?

Aimpoint
Turn it on, leave it on, ready when you need it. Battery lasts for years.

EOTech
Turn it on, it shuts itself off after 4 or 8 hours. Have to remember to turn it on when you need it. Battery life is measured in hours, not years.

Higher failure rate of EOTech 512's than the Comp series of Aimpoints.

samuse
10-16-2012, 20:15
Aimpoint
Turn it on, leave it on, ready when you need it. Battery lasts for years.

EOTech
Turn it on, it shuts itself off after 4 or 8 hours. Have to remember to turn it on when you need it. Battery life is measured in hours, not years.

Higher failure rate of EOTech 512's than the Comp series of Aimpoints.

That's not a rumor.

I have an Aimpoint PRO that I bought when they first came out. It's on a Colt that my cousin carries. It lives outside and he beats the snot out of it. It's never been turned off and it's never missed a beat. Highly recommended.

mjkeat
10-16-2012, 20:58
If you all want to PayPal me the few hundred to make up the difference ill go out and buy a 6920 today.

Sent from my iPhone

$95 is hardly a few hundred. As someone that's been there it's $95 you'll wish you would have spent.

Chuck66
10-16-2012, 21:22
$95 is hardly a few hundred. As someone that's been there it's $95 you'll wish you would have spent.

I can get a Stag model 2 for $745 plus tax of 9.5%($70.77) plus $10 for NICS = $825.77.

Colt at Wallyworld is $1097 + tax of $104.21 + $10 NICS = $1211.00.

$1211-$825 = $386, or, a case of ammo.

Even adding the plus package it's still $286 different. That's a sizable chunk for a hobbyist.

Better prices, I'm sure, are available online, but then it's $25-$40 for FFL transfers, and you aren't holding what you're buying in your hands, maybe having to deal with an unfamiliar distributor so there's risk there. Then, if you want to mount an optic on the Colt but want a BUIS on the rear, you'll need to buy that, too.

I'm not saying you can't get it down to a $95 difference, but it's not typically that close in cross-town shopping. Also, little variety. The 6920 is available for cheap(for a Colt) and maybe the 6720 if you can find one, but that's really only one configuration, vs several from the other manufacturers.

I'm not saying the Colt is the wrong answer. I'm strongly considering it myself. But, it's hard to justify spending nearly 50% more on something that probably won't be any better for a hobbyist. You gotta really want that Colt name in the above scenario. I'm personally still deciding if I think it's that important, and if I weren't buying this with plans of handing it down in the future, I'd already own a Stag or a Windham.

mjkeat
10-16-2012, 21:28
A Colt from a well known distributor like DSGArms is anything but a gamble. That's the good thing about dealing w/ highly regarded manufactures like Colt and distributors like DSG. You don't have to have hands on. You know everything will be GTG. So, like I said it's $95.

You didn't add the extra $100 Stag charges for things that come standard on higher quality ARs like the 6920. Paying extra for standard equipment is odd.

It's all about being informed.

Chuck66
10-16-2012, 22:26
A Colt from a well known distributor like DSGArms is anything but a gamble. That's the good thing about dealing w/ highly regarded manufactures like Colt and distributors like DSG. You don't have to have hands on. You know everything will be GTG. So, like I said it's $95.

You didn't add the extra $100 Stag charges for things that come standard on higher quality ARs like the 6920. Paying extra for standard equipment is odd.

It's all about being informed.

I did compensate for the plus package later in the post. Price drop at DSG and the addition of the plus package does bring it pretty close.

And I see your point, but the 6920 at DSG is still $995, plus FFL, plus shipping if there is a shipping charge. It only comes down to $95 when considering the plus package for the Stag, which again, to a hobbyist, may not be worth it. IDK. Like I say, I'm still deciding. As many have said, it depends on what you plan to do with it.

mjkeat
10-17-2012, 17:17
I did compensate for the plus package later in the post. Price drop at DSG and the addition of the plus package does bring it pretty close.

And I see your point, but the 6920 at DSG is still $995, plus FFL, plus shipping if there is a shipping charge. It only comes down to $95 when considering the plus package for the Stag, which again, to a hobbyist, may not be worth it. IDK. Like I say, I'm still deciding. As many have said, it depends on what you plan to do with it.

Even at the original inflated claim of a few hundred difference in price the two ARs are night and day.

I don't care what the OP purchases. I was just setting the gross exagerations straight for the next guy looking to purchase an AR. I wouldn't want someone to wright off a quality rifle because they think it's out of their budget.

Chuck66
10-17-2012, 17:24
Even at the original inflated claim of a few hundred difference in price the two ARs are night and day.

I don't care what the OP purchases. I was just setting the gross exagerations straight for the next guy looking to purchase an AR. I wouldn't want someone to wright off a quality rifle because they think it's out of their budget.

It's not inflated, at least not artificially. If, as a newbie, you don't shop around, and get advice from folks like yourself, the spread I described above is very accurate. Those are the numbers I had at the end of my first day of shopping, after talking to several shops and visiting Wal-mart.

But....thanks to resources like this board and the folks on it, it's obvious that better deals exist. And, that's why so many people are here doing the same research I'm doing. So, well done. You guys who have been around a while are potentially saving use FNGs a boatload of cash. :wavey:

Osborne
10-19-2012, 01:02
So are the colts 6920 really that superior to the stag arms......?

I'm lucky enough to being able to get the stag and an eotech considering my laptop for school completely broke the other day....

Osborne
10-19-2012, 01:11
Here's a interesting video showing them being made.

American Rifleman tours the Stag Arms factory - YouTube

And I just really like the lifetime warrenty.. And their customer support seems top notch I emailed them and they answered back pretty quickly with a very descriptive helpful response.

Hobbyist gun? What could this gun not do for you all that the colt does? It isn't like I'm going to be in the mountains of Afghanistan slinging it around, its going to sit in my bedroom most likely and be for home defense and to plink around....

What makes you all feel your too good for a stag?

Chuck66
10-19-2012, 06:20
I don't think anyone has said they're too good for a Stag. They're just saying that the weapons are different, bringing different plusses to the table for their respective price points, and that when all is considered, the Stag may not be as big of a value purchase as it originally seems. If the differences don't matter to you, then buy whatever is cheapest. No sense in wasting money.

But you can see how my own initial research showed the Stag as a much cheaper weapon, but when a different source for the Colt was presented, the gap narrowed considerably. Pay $385 more for the Colt? No way. $95, yeah, probably.

Just buy what makes you happy, for whatever the reason, and don't worry about it beyond that.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

samuse
10-19-2012, 07:24
So are the colts 6920 really that superior to the stag arms......?

I'm lucky enough to being able to get the stag and an eotech considering my laptop for school completely broke the other day....

I don't think so, but I've only been around a few of them.

The guys over on m4carbine think they have poor quality parts, bad chambers and are over gassed. I've never seen evidence of one having any problems though.

cpham9006
10-19-2012, 07:50
OP i was in the same shoes as you as well not too long ago.. If you do the searching you could probably find a Colt 6920 for right at about 900 bucks. Check out slickguns.com. I occasionally see a Colt under the AR15 section for a real good bargin price.

I've heard nothing but good from Stag. I almost settled for a Rock River (never heard anything bad about them as well) but saved my money for 1 more month and ended up with a Daniel Defense. I'm not sure of your money situation but if could wait a little and save more, i would. Just my advice.

arushus
10-19-2012, 08:23
Colt's ARs are fully mil-spec. Stag is not. In the long run the colt is going to hold up MUCH better to any punishment it may or may not go through. The resale value down the road is going to be much higher on the colt. Cheaper than dirt has them for $945. Save up for an extra few weeks and get the Colt, you wont regret it. It represents a much better value than the stag. Colt is as close as you can get to the M4's the military uses.

Chuck TX
10-19-2012, 09:39
Here's a interesting video showing them being made.

American Rifleman tours the Stag Arms factory - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_3SP4ubD1I&sns=em)

And I just really like the lifetime warrenty.. And their customer support seems top notch I emailed them and they answered back pretty quickly with a very descriptive helpful response.

Hobbyist gun? What could this gun not do for you all that the colt does? It isn't like I'm going to be in the mountains of Afghanistan slinging it around, its going to sit in my bedroom most likely and be for home defense and to plink around....

What makes you all feel your too good for a stag?

Hell, I'm too good for a Colt. :supergrin:

Stag are alright. I'd might get one if I found it used for super cheap. If I'm buying new I'd rather save up for something with higher quality standards and value. The cost isn't the only difference. Even if you aren't the type of owner to use abuse and shoot the heck out of the rifle where the quality parts matter, the resale value alone should be enough.

Plus you won't have to get high blood pressure during tier threads. :rofl:

Osborne
10-19-2012, 10:54
I cant find anywhere that has them in stock, let alone for $950, My LGS who is a really good friend is probably not going to be too happy, but oh well lol.

Osborne
10-19-2012, 10:56
They are 1,150 on every single site!!!

Osborne
10-19-2012, 10:58
If anyone can find me one for $950 I'll order it today.

mvician
10-19-2012, 11:54
Not $950 but $995 and in stock

http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/CO6920.aspx

boomhower
10-19-2012, 12:27
I wouldn't buy a Stag for close to Colt money but that said, get what you want. If you want the carry handle model get it. A BUIS is not a expensive proposition if you get an optic down the line.

Osborne
10-19-2012, 12:30
Not $950 but $995 and in stock

http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/CO6920.aspx

I called my LGS he is going to check with his distributor, some customers came in so I told him I would call him back. They may be a little over a thousand though. How much is the shipping on dsgarms?

Osborne
10-19-2012, 12:35
I wouldn't buy a Stag for close to Colt money but that said, get what you want. If you want the carry handle model get it. A BUIS is not a expensive proposition if you get an optic down the line.

Yup I was kinda wanting a carry handle anyways, its probably better to get proficient with iron sights first.....eotech will come later.

cpham9006
10-19-2012, 13:16
This right here is a great deal! If you have the extra $ hidden....

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411551216/DDM4+V7+LGT+WGT+5.56MM+MFR+NS

http://www.slickguns.com/product/daniel-defense-v7-ddm4-v7-lgt-wgt-556mm-mfr-ns-1282-shipped

You talked about great customer service with stag...well DD has the proven reputation.

Osborne
10-19-2012, 14:58
My lgs can get it for $1080 including tax what do you all think?

Osborne
10-19-2012, 17:35
Ordered a LE 6920. An Eotech will definitely have to wait now.

Something really ironic is the gun is coming in on Election Day. Haha we got a good laugh out of that.

Sent from my iPhone

Brian Brazier
10-19-2012, 17:39

+1 depending on what your use is for this rifle you might find you dont need an optic, they are nice, I thought I needed one, now I am finding I perfer just using BUIS, but my rifle is only for range and home defense.

Osborne
10-19-2012, 19:02
+1 depending on what your use is for this rifle you might find you dont need an optic, they are nice, I thought I needed one, now I am finding I perfer just using BUIS, but my rifle is only for range and home defense.

Thanks for the input :) I went with the LE 6920 and I'll be using the iron sites for a while considering the price difference of the stag. :tongueout:

ArmoryDoc
10-19-2012, 19:49
You made the best choice for the $$$. You'll love it.

Cole125
10-19-2012, 20:08
Thanks for the input :) I went with the LE 6920 and I'll be using the iron sites for a while considering the price difference of the stag. :tongueout:

Congrats! :cool:

Cannot go wrong with a Colt. Now its time to spend what you spent on the gun on ammo and you will have something.

Don't forget the Aimpoint, either.

Osborne
10-19-2012, 21:00
Oops sights* thats embarrassing. Yeah the optic will have to wait and I'm only going to buy a hundred rounds of ammo or so to start I'll get a good stock of it going eventually.

Oops sights* thats embarrassing. Yeah the optic will have to wait and I'm only going to buy a hundred rounds of ammo or so to start I'll get a good stock of it going eventually.

Osborne
10-19-2012, 21:03
You made the best choice for the $$$. You'll love it.

Sweet!

arushus
10-20-2012, 14:27
Im glad to hear you went with the colt! You made a VERY wise choice! I wish I had bought a Colt 6920 for my first AR.